Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 13, 2024, 11:35:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Who is the best footballer you’ve played alongside  (Read 2853 times)

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
Re: Who is the best footballer you’ve played alongside
« Reply #30 on March 16, 2023, 10:40:12 pm by Jimmydee »
I put one past Willie Boyd in the Sunday league in the 80s

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on March 16, 2023, 10:58:35 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I took 3 penalties against Gordon Morritt at a charity event when I was about 10. Ernie Crawford was the ref. I only had ordinary slip-on shoes on and he saved the first two penalties easily. When I took the third penalty I decided to blast it, but my shoe came off! He trapped the ball with his foot and at the same time caught my bloody shoe in his hands.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on March 16, 2023, 11:19:35 pm by rich1471 »
Best player I ever played with was Brian Pollard at York City. He was a right winger. Quick and skilful. Similar to Windy Miller was at Rovers.

Northern Intermediate League 1972/73
Brian played in a couple of games i played in that season.
He was in the 1st team quite a bit that season aged 19

Best player played against was Joe Cook at Bradford City. Same season 72/73 same league.  Scored 2 goals ( 1 a pen ) against me at Valley Parade.
Striker who went on to have a good career at Bradford City, Peterborough Utd and others.

Best player who never fulfilled his true potential. Well one of them was ( yes I am bias ) was my younger step son Neil Illman who at age 16/18 was an extremely talented player.  A left winger or striker.

Steve Beaglehole took him to Middlesbrough when he went there as youth coach and Bruce Ricoh who was manager was very impressed with him after watching him in the U18s
Played 4 games for Middlesbrough in 2nd tier.  20 odd for Plymouth Argyle in 3rd tier and then Northwich Victoria and Stevenage in the Conference. 
Scored against Rovers for the Vicks at Drill field in a 3-2 win for Rovers. ( I let him off seeing we won )
He also played 2 games for Rovers when Ian Snodin was manager.

Never fulfilled his potential though. Not sure what went wrong. Bit of immaturity I think and a pillock of a coach at Boro called Ray Train ( played for Carlisle & Walsall ) didn’t help, who never praised him only criticised. How can you be slated for scoring a goal from 30 yards. Top corner of net v Preston foe reserves.  Told in no uncertain manor that he should have passed the ball.  This happened all the time.
Bernie Slaven tore into this coach after one reserve game at Wigan after Neil scored the winner in last 5 mins. For reason stated above.

Being bias again, my older step son Mark Illman also never fulfilled his potential, but that was mainly due to a bad Achilles tendon injury.
He scored 21 goals in 19 games for Rovers  Northern Intermediate League team in 1989/90 aged 17
Bremner who was back at Rovers wanted to sign him Pro contract but due to budget restrictions wasn’t able to.
Went to Chesterfield and picked as sub, debut for 1st team away at Cambridge in 3rd tier.  Paul Hart was manager, Chris McMenemy coach, ( Laurie’s son ) Dave Rushbury was Physio.
Then picked up bad injury.  Lost confidence and motivation.
He should have had a career in the EFL

There are hundreds though, thousands over the years who should have made it that didn’t. Some who played lower league pro football who had the ability to be Premier league players. Some who only played non league who with a bit of luck could have played in the football League.

Player at Rovers who springs to mind & didn’t fulfil his potential was Andy Watson. A winger who Ian and Glynn pulled from obscurity at Garforth Town.  He was one of many wasted talents I have seen over the years.

Apologies for such a long ramble.   ;)

played with Neil in the school team and there was some very good players in that team ,Adi moses who played for Barnsley, But a young lad called Gerrard Ring went to Forrest under Brian Clough but he decided to pack it in and become a solicitor but if he stuck at it could have played for England he really was that good ,Also played with Mark at Sunday league level ,both were very good players.

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on March 17, 2023, 01:05:30 am by Wild Rover »
I thought it was "played with" not "against", but if against counts Kevin Keegan ( 3 times) Malcolm Webster (3 times) Trevor Hickson (4 times) Jim Golze ( just the once) Also a couple of notable Algerians. One player who i never had the pleasure of being alongside, who was possibly the best i was at school with was Brian Turner.

WR,

I think I must have been in the year ahead of you at school.

I played with Brian Turner a very good CH. He did actually play for Donny Boys, but KK never did.

The coach at the time was Ken Howard, my form master, who's claim to fame was that he never ever played KK yet he was in the Donny Boys squad.

At Stainforth Sec 1962 - 1967 Same class as Ken Shaw, Gary Nesbitt, John Bytheway. Dave Roebuck, Roy nixon, Peter Furr Billy Liddle, Billy Main, Ian Gregory
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 06:09:20 am by Wild Rover »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on March 17, 2023, 07:59:17 am by Campsall rover »
I played against Rod Belfitt

at cricket.
I played one game of Cricket with Cyril Knowles at Thorpe Audlin CC

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on March 17, 2023, 08:13:38 am by Campsall rover »
Best player I ever played with was Brian Pollard at York City. He was a right winger. Quick and skilful. Similar to Windy Miller was at Rovers.

Best player played against was Joe Cook at Bradford City. Same season 72/73 same league.  Scored 2 goals ( 1 a pen ) against me at Valley Parade.
Striker who went on to have a good career at Bradford City, Peterborough Utd and others.

Best player who never fulfilled his true potential. Well one of them was ( yes I am bias ) was my younger step son Neil Illman who at age 16/18 was an extremely talented player.  A left winger or striker.

Steve Beaglehole took him to Middlesbrough when he went there as youth coach and Bruce Ricoh who was manager was very impressed with him after watching him in the U18s
Played 4 games for Middlesbrough in 2nd tier.  20 odd for Plymouth Argyle in 3rd tier and then Northwich Victoria and Stevenage in the Conference. 
Scored against Rovers for the Vicks at Drill field in a 3-2 win for Rovers. ( I let him off seeing we won )

Never fulfilled his potential though. Not sure what went wrong. Bit of immaturity I think and a pillock of a coach at Boro called Ray Train ( played for Carlisle & Walsall ) didn’t help, who never praised him only criticised. How can you be slated for scoring a goal from 30 yards. Top corner of net v Preston foe reserves.  Told in no uncertain manor that he should have passed the ball.  This happened all the time.
Bernie Slaven tore into this coach after one reserve game at Wigan after Neil scored the winner in last 5 mins. For reason stated above.

Being bias again, my older step son Mark Illman also never fulfilled his potential, but that was mainly due to a bad Achilles tendon injury.
He scored 21 goals in 19 games for Rovers  Northern Intermediate League team in 1989/90 aged 17
Bremner who was back at Rovers wanted to sign him Pro contract but due to budget restrictions wasn’t able to.
Went to Chesterfield and picked as sub, debut for 1st team away at Cambridge in 3rd tier.  Paul Hart was manager, Chris McMenemy coach, ( Laurie’s son ) Dave Rushbury was Physio.

There are hundreds though, thousands over the years who should have made it that didn’t. Some who played lower league pro football who had the ability to be Premier league players. Some who only played non league who with a bit of luck could have played in the football League.

Player at Rovers who springs to mind & didn’t fulfil his potential was Andy Watson. A winger who Ian and Glynn pulled from obscurity at Garforth Town.  He was one of many wasted talents I have seen over the years.

played with Neil in the school team and there was some very good players in that team ,Adi moses who played for Barnsley, But a young lad called Gerrard Ring went to Forrest under Brian Clough but he decided to pack it in and become a solicitor but if he stuck at it could have played for England he really was that good ,Also played with Mark at Sunday league level ,both were very good players.
Hi rich1471, I have sent you a PM
Thanks

By the way just to mention Gerrard Ring became a Banker.   :)

« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 08:16:57 am by Campsall rover »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on March 17, 2023, 08:19:00 am by Campsall rover »

deffo agree about mark
Hi donnievic,
I have sent you a PM yesterday.

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on March 17, 2023, 08:30:28 am by Prez »

That Norton United team from the mid 80s really had some talented players. Arguably the best was a lad called Nicky Towel, you just couldnt get the ball off him, but he had issues sadly. Adi Moses was no where the best out of those players, but he made it, mainly due to his outstanding attitude and application. Gez Ring, Johnny White, Nicky Towel, Neil Illman, Adi Moses etc, really had talent.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on March 17, 2023, 08:53:00 am by Alickismyhero »
I thought it was "played with" not "against", but if against counts Kevin Keegan ( 3 times) Malcolm Webster (3 times) Trevor Hickson (4 times) Jim Golze ( just the once) Also a couple of notable Algerians. One player who i never had the pleasure of being alongside, who was possibly the best i was at school with was Brian Turner.

WR,

I played with Brian Turner a very good CH. He did actually play for Donny Boys, but KK never did.

The coach at the time was Ken Howard, my form master, who's claim to fame was that he never ever played KK yet he was in the Donny Boys squad.

At Stainforth Sec 1962 - 1967 Same class as Ken Shaw, Gary Nesbitt, John Bytheway. Dave Roebuck, Roy nixon, Peter Furr Billy Liddle, Billy Main, Ian Gregory

Yes I remember playing football with Gary Nesbitt, big John Bytheway, Dave Roebuck, Peter Furr, little Billy Liddle. I was the year ahead 61 -_66, with my birthday being 31/8 one day later I would have been in your year!

I was very bitter with Mr Smith I never got a look in for a game for the school until Mr Jones took over the school teams. I eventually started to play for the 3rd and 4th year teams. Our Headmaster, whos name I forget, got me 6 trial games at Donny. after the 6th game Donny never had the decency to say "sorry son your not good enough".
On reflection I left for college in London, played football twice a week, had my 18th birthday playing football in Germany.

My dream of playing football for Donny would never have been, too many injuries.

I now sit here with 5 different fractures to the right ankle which I am pleased to say has been successfully screwed back together again.

I enjoyed my football while it lasted.

RIP Russell Yeats, Billy Lockwood, Greg Parsonage, Ray Yeardly. Mates I played football with.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 09:05:04 am by Alickismyhero »

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on March 17, 2023, 08:54:35 am by bpoolrover »
Gavin McCann got one England cap

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on March 17, 2023, 09:34:52 am by Wild Rover »

WR,

Yes I remember playing football with Gary Nesbitt, big John Bytheway, Dave Roebuck, Peter Furr, little Billy Liddle. I was the year ahead 61 -_66, with my birthday being 31/8 one day later I would have been in your year!

I was very bitter with Mr Smith I never got a look in for a game for the school until Mr Jones took over the school teams. I eventually started to play for the 3rd and 4th year teams. Our Headmaster, whos name I forget, got me 6 trial games at Donny. after the 6th game Donny never had the decency to say "sorry son your not good enough".
On reflection I left for college in London, played football twice a week, had my 18th birthday playing football in Germany.

My dream of playing football for Donny would never have been, too many injuries.

I now sit here with 5 different fractures to the right ankle which I am pleased to say has been successfully screwed back together again.

RIP Russell Yeats, Billy Lockwood, Greg Parsonage, Ray Yeardly. Mates I played football with.

The headmaster was Mr Allinson . I knew Ray Yeardley had passed on but not the others.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on March 17, 2023, 10:29:32 am by Campsall rover »

That Norton United team from the mid 80s really had some talented players. Arguably the best was a lad called Nicky Towel, you just couldnt get the ball off him, but he had issues sadly. Adi Moses was no where the best out of those players, but he made it, mainly due to his outstanding attitude and application. Gez Ring, Johnny White, Nicky Towel, Neil Illman, Adi Moses etc, really had talent.
Prez
I have sent you a PM

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on March 17, 2023, 10:44:08 am by turnbull for england »
 2 full pages without a row, lovely. I did fitrovers play on the pitch when Andy Butler was captain and he turned out for both teams. On a Saturday you'd think him slow, well up against ordinary mortals he looked like Usain Bolt with the touch of Messi

German Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on March 17, 2023, 02:02:59 pm by German Rover »
Not a footballer I know but I played darts with Eric Bristow on a north sea ferry. As you would expect he battered me, with no mercy!

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on March 17, 2023, 05:56:58 pm by donnievic »

yeah they were deffo a talented side,I went for trails as keeper but didnt make it with them,maybe a good job I would of been bored

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on March 17, 2023, 06:38:21 pm by EasyforDennis »
I used to play cards regularly with Joe Laidlaw RIP if that counts.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on March 17, 2023, 06:56:11 pm by Alickismyhero »

WR,

The headmaster was Mr Allinson . I knew Ray Yeardley had passed on but not the others.

WR,
Yes thats the name, Mr Allison.

I don't remember Kenny Shaw playing football but was he fast over 100yds? RIP Kenny

BiargeBob

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on March 17, 2023, 07:06:23 pm by BiargeBob »
Dave Rushbury, John Buckley and Denis Peacock. Played in a team where Denis was our Centre Forward, he bagged loads.
John Buckley is the best of the 3, couldnt get ball off him & he would make you look stupid if you tried!
JB was a very talented player. Dave Rushbury was a very decent left back. Dennis Peacock was a solid Keeper. His kicking was a bit wayward if my memory serves me correctly.

When you think about it we have had some very decent wingers over the years.
Ian Miller, John Buckley, Francis Tierney, McIndoe, Cotterill, Coppinger.
Those who saw Rovers in the 50’s & 60’s no doubt could name some more.

That's right, Camps. Ronnie Walker on the left wing, and Johnny Mooney on the right wing for the 1956/57 team that included Gregg, Alick, and Tindill.

Probably the greatest Rovers team ever.

As a child I remember that when Johnny Mooney got the ball the crowd used to shout "Open the gates Mooney's coming"

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on March 17, 2023, 07:15:19 pm by tyke1962 »
I played against your early 80's left back Fred Robinson , in fact Fred marked me , I've still got the bruises .

I played in the Huddersfield Sunday League for a while in the 80's and Fred turned out for Huddersfield Town supporters club along with their former midfield player Geoff Hutt and goalkeeper Andy Rankin .

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on March 17, 2023, 07:22:47 pm by tyke1962 »
Best footballer I ever played with was a lad called Gary Manifield , he was an extremely talented lad and Emley were very interested in him  who had a really good side in those days .

Unfortunately Gary had a bit of a temper and just couldn't accept getting kicked without retaliating , no discipline what so ever .

Emley soon lost interest after watching him a few times .

Last time I saw Gary he was working the doors in a Barnsley town centre bar in the 90's .

He didn't last too long at that game either .

Wild Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on March 17, 2023, 08:16:28 pm by Wild Rover »

WR,

WR,
Yes thats the name, Mr Allison.

I don't remember Kenny Shaw playing football but was he fast over 100yds? RIP Kenny

He didn't play football. I said he was in same class as me. But hell he could Run.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on March 17, 2023, 09:00:34 pm by DonnyNoel »
Lee Beevers (school), Neil Webb (Nike football day at the Dome)

Against, Ricky Ravenhill, Paul Burke when he made a cameo for Don Valley High School  whilst with Sheff U/England (how did he never make it?) and being pedantic I played against a couple of Rovers players in a kick about on one of the football in the community soccer schools whose names escape me as well as Steve Beagehole who was the manager at the time.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 09:04:29 pm by DonnyNoel »

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on March 17, 2023, 09:07:41 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Wolfie once told me that, long before my time, Scawsby Steve used to idolise Johnny Mooney. He said Steve used to try to copy the way Mooney played. Wolfie said he was watching Steve play once and he was setting himself up for a shot, so he shouted "come on Steve, give us a Mooney."

Apparently, Steve misunderstood the request and exposed his big hairy arse to all and sundry.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on March 18, 2023, 03:40:54 pm by scawsby steve »
Wolfie once told me that, long before my time, Scawsby Steve used to idolise Johnny Mooney. He said Steve used to try to copy the way Mooney played. Wolfie said he was watching Steve play once and he was setting himself up for a shot, so he shouted "come on Steve, give us a Mooney."

Apparently, Steve misunderstood the request and exposed his big hairy arse to all and sundry.

That couldn't happen now though, BB; I'm waxing these days.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on March 18, 2023, 06:36:52 pm by dickos1 »
Played against Wes brown, David Dunn, Darren byfield, Harry kewell, Jonathan woodgate, Danny cadamartari, Seth Johnson,

Played with Chris Sedgwick, Archie gemmil, Curtis woodhouse, Lee morris,

BiargeBob

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on March 23, 2023, 12:03:10 pm by BiargeBob »
I played along side Kev Bird at Armthorpe Old Boys, Kev went on to play 463 games for Mansfield, another one missed by the Rovers. Unfortunately Kev passed away recently RIP

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on March 23, 2023, 12:31:04 pm by Filo »
Not a footballer I know but I played darts with Eric Bristow on a north sea ferry. As you would expect he battered me, with no mercy!

I was on a North Sea ferry, when Bristow, Dellar, Lewis and another I can’t remember were doing an exibition, Bristow was my darts hero until I spoke with him and realised what an arrogant t**t he was

jonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on March 23, 2023, 12:32:33 pm by jonrover »
School age growing up would poss be Gez ring went to north forest as a youngster but think he had other issues and didn’t really make it .
 Other two that have played in same team one if not both as ringers lol would be adie Moses and Neil Illmam while I was playing at askern

While at cricket played against joe root and now test umpire Richard kettlebrough who both played for Sheffield collegiate
All these three were in my year at Campsmount, who got through to the semi final of the national schools knockout, losing to De La Salle from Liverpool. The other player in that side to "make it" was the goalie Damon King who played for Queens Park.

Ring's story is extraordinary. He was a school boy apprentice whilst in the GCSE year, travelling down Friday night, train Saturday, game Sunday then home. He was a very bright lad and wanted to continue his studies so he apparently asked Brian Clough to allow him to too and fro from Doncaster and Nottingham as he did before. Cloughie released him on the spot! I think he ended up turning out for Harrogate Railway.
Illman started at Middlesbrough, then journeyed around non league. Moses was actually released by Rovers and wrote letters to every league club in Yorkshire asking for a trial whilst doing his A-Levels. I think he tried out for Bradford City before Barnsley and was lucky enough to be there when they had a bit of an injury crisis at centre half (he was actually centre mid at school) and Danny Wilson gave him a chance. His debut was marking John Fashanu in the FA cup against Aston Villa. The rest they say is history! Last I heard he's got his own business offering financial advice to footballers. Ring is a high flying banker. No idea about Neil.

I was never good enough to play in our school side even though I'd had a game with Bradford Schools as a kid. I did play with all three at cricket though. We got through to the last 8 of the national schools knock out, the farthest a state school had got, taking private school Bradford Grammar and Pocklington out on the way, losing to Barnard Castle school at their place.

Still gutted I didn't make it to Trent Bridge!

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on March 23, 2023, 03:59:53 pm by EasyforDennis »

I was on a North Sea ferry, when Bristow, Dellar, Lewis and another I can’t remember were doing an exibition, Bristow was my darts hero until I spoke with him and realised what an arrogant t**t he was

I once played against Bobby George at a company sales conference in London. Smashing bloke but total fruit loop.

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on March 23, 2023, 04:42:39 pm by The Beast »
Mark Hine, was boring playing centre half behind him, nobody ever got past him, whether by fair means or occasionally foul.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012