Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:56:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: “Obviously we haven’t got money to buy players”  (Read 7121 times)

donnydogk9

• Forum Member
“Obviously we haven’t got money to buy players”
« on April 14, 2023, 01:20:29 pm by donnydogk9 »
So this budget injection was all smoke and mirrors as we thought…

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Little Wolf

• Forum Member
Re: “Obviously we haven’t got money to buy players”
« Reply #1 on April 14, 2023, 01:27:39 pm by Little Wolf »
Money will be spent on wages, they may be free agents but they still want paying

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 14, 2023, 01:35:28 pm by Lincoln Rover »
Who said we’d be BUYING players ? Name them…

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 14, 2023, 01:39:47 pm by ncRover »
You want us blowing 6 figure transfer fees on every player?

It’s about wages offered to those with expiring contracts at this level. That’s where the money will be useful if spent well.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 01:49:11 pm by ncRover »

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on April 14, 2023, 01:54:11 pm by roversdude »
What was Messi’s last transfer fee

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on April 14, 2023, 02:09:27 pm by Draytonian III »

Answer me this question DonnyDogk9, how can we buy players in mid April ? Do you know of some secret transfer window or do those things only exist in football games played on a computer

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 14, 2023, 02:14:00 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Who's this "we" you're talking about?

I've read TB's statement, but obviously not you. How dare you claim anybody else is as blinkered as you are?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Who buys players in the modern day? Barely anybody.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on April 14, 2023, 02:41:05 pm by roversdude »
Who buys players in the modern day? Barely anybody.

Exactly hence the Messi comment

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on April 14, 2023, 03:03:16 pm by Sprotyrover »
The ‘Significant Funds’  may be to cover the loss in revenue from Gate Money a, ally us to keep our current squad and main our strong mid to lower mid table position in this League.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 14, 2023, 03:21:20 pm by silent majority »
The ‘Significant Funds’  may be to cover the loss in revenue from Gate Money a, ally us to keep our current squad and main our strong mid to lower mid table position in this League.

It's not. The funds for next season have already been ring fenced. That means that no matter what contribution the rest of CD contributes the playing budget will not be affected.

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 14, 2023, 03:26:46 pm by Donnyjim »
Th clubs on its arse and dying as far as I can see.

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 14, 2023, 03:47:18 pm by Prez »
It’s a tired interview I’m afraid literally. Saying players want to sign for us because how we play? Really? We are the worst performing team in the entire football league over the last 100 games or so, results wise. Too much emphasis I feel on signing players with character to fit into the nicey squad we have. Just sign some players with desire and ultimately who are actually good at football.

January was an appalling window. Lavery 1 goal and injured, (he’s always had injury issues) Larkin injured looked ok nothing more, Brown, overall been poor, Todd Miller, no idea why he was signed, Nelson is a player with potential no doubt. 2 players to leave Knoyle and Clayton both doing well at promotion chasing clubs.

On the point of Agard Copps said he’s come in and done really well. So in that case, have questions not been asked as to why he’s not been getting more game time a lot sooner with our woes upfront? Would he have been a foil for Miller? We will never know when he DS persists with this 541 formation.

I really do love Copps but I really fear he’s turned to the dark side. Just seems oblivious to the disaster which continues to unfold around him.

oggycompton

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 14, 2023, 03:58:28 pm by oggycompton »
Lower leagues moving players on and contracts expiring is the norm, not many teams spend transfer money. We are releasing upwards of 10? 15? for example. If the money is for wages etc and signing on fees for free agents this is a good thing.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 14, 2023, 04:08:46 pm by dickos1 »

Clueless

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 14, 2023, 04:19:33 pm by Alan Southstand »
That’s where the money will be useful if spent well.

Agree wholeheartedly, nc.

So, come on then, who’s confident that it’s going to be ‘spent well’?

« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 10:58:33 pm by Alan Southstand »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on April 14, 2023, 04:50:14 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
How can anyone be confident unless you're Pep Guardiola and even he might have some restrictions imposed on him.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 14, 2023, 05:03:23 pm by ncRover »
Did you manage to get in the boardroom k9?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 14, 2023, 05:23:22 pm by Chris Black come back »
The issue isn’t the money, it’s how badly it has been spent. Unless we’ve dramatically improved our recruitment this poor guy fast approaching 80 is going to see yet more of his cash pissed away on the mad, bad and dangerous to know.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 14, 2023, 05:32:03 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
The point about how the money is spent is the bit that hasn’t been addressed. People criticise Copps interview because it doesn’t really provide any real direction or detail of what we’re after. Just “quality” which is worrying that it needs saying.

It’s probably harsh but when he’s no track record and the club is where it is peoples default is scepticism.

I’d feel a bit more confident if he said we need x type of player who is for x position because we’ve lost points due to x. Then if he’s identifying what we can all see and things we can’t you’d at least know they know what the problem is.

Concern is we spend signing a load of lightweights who are technically good but can’t impose themselves. From last summer it looks like that’s what we went for.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 14, 2023, 06:09:02 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
The point about how the money is spent is the bit that hasn’t been addressed. People criticise Copps interview because it doesn’t really provide any real direction or detail of what we’re after. Just “quality” which is worrying that it needs saying.

It’s probably harsh but when he’s no track record and the club is where it is peoples default is scepticism.

I’d feel a bit more confident if he said we need x type of player who is for x position because we’ve lost points due to x. Then if he’s identifying what we can all see and things we can’t you’d at least know they know what the problem is.

Concern is we spend signing a load of lightweights who are technically good but can’t impose themselves. From last summer it looks like that’s what we went for.

Managers/head coaches/HoF are very rarely that specific.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but there weren't that many reacting negatively when we signed Miller, Molyneux, Maxwell, Biggins, Tomlin, Andrews, Long etc.

Even JR said he thought another promotion season was on it's way.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 14, 2023, 06:09:46 pm by ravenrover »
He also mentioned the right character and leadership qualities as well as being the right age, but if being selective suits your agenda that's fine

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 14, 2023, 06:26:39 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
He also mentioned the right character and leadership qualities as well as being the right age, but if being selective suits your agenda that's fine

What agenda. All those things “right age” “leadership” “right character” will have been said last season, the season before and the season before many times over. What does that even mean. Were we looking for the wrong characters before or the wrong age (what is the right age) or seeking out those lacking leadership.

I said it’s a harsh comment but was pointing out why I can understand some concern. If he had any kind of record and just said the usual manager type answers that say nothing no one would be bothered in the slightest.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on April 14, 2023, 06:27:02 pm by dickos1 »

He’s not Going to tell everyone what player he’s after though is he, nobody in their right mind would do that

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 14, 2023, 07:12:26 pm by danumdon »
Really bad form to continue to criticise the cash injection that TB has committed to until as such a time as we see(or not)the results of its value.

As for Copps interview, what do people really expect him to say. "we have cash, please come and relive me of loads of it" its just not going to be the case that the HOF should be seen to advertise the fact, its hard enough to get suitable players in through the door without making them even more expensive.

What we should all do now is give Copps the time and space to function without too much pressure, this going wrong this time really could make or break the club for many, we need it to work, he certainly does, regardless as to what the future of the head coach is to be this in itself needs to work for all our sakes.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on April 14, 2023, 07:47:10 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

That's Donnyjim who has predicted 9 of the last zero deaths of the club.

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on April 14, 2023, 08:53:31 pm by Donnyjim »

I always thought you were all reasonably ‘bright’ people, alas it seems not. Just get some old fashioned graph paper and plot our decline on it, you don’t need Excel to see the obvious downward spiral. Which, may I add continues at a pace.

Dickos is severely deluded by the way.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 08:56:25 pm by Donnyjim »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on April 14, 2023, 08:57:15 pm by dickos1 »

I always thought you were all reasonably ‘bright’ people, alas it seems not. Just get some old fashioned graph paper and plot our decline on it, you don’t need Excel to see the obvious downward spiral. Which, may I add continues at a pace.

You predicted we would go down this season, you should be delighted that we aren’t.

Donnyjim

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on April 14, 2023, 09:04:19 pm by Donnyjim »

You predicted we would go down this season, you should be delighted that we aren’t.

Wrong! As usual! If you actually got your head out of your arse mate, I never said this. What I actually said was, we would finish bottom half this season and go down next. Which alas, we are well on track to do. Smell the coffee pal for once in your life AND get your facts right.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on April 14, 2023, 09:13:19 pm by ravenrover »

What agenda. All those things “right age” “leadership” “right character” will have been said last season, the season before and the season before many times over. What does that even mean. Were we looking for the wrong characters before or the wrong age (what is the right age) or seeking out those lacking leadership.

I said it’s a harsh comment but was pointing out why I can understand some concern. If he had any kind of record and just said the usual manager type answers that say nothing no one would be bothered in the slightest.

But you decided to just mention quality and ignored the other attributes

TinyPortal © 2005-2012