Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 02:08:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Physical striker  (Read 10349 times)

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
Re: Physical striker
« Reply #30 on April 30, 2023, 04:38:56 pm by Dare to dream! »
Goodman’s hold up play has been very good when he’s come on.

No reason why we should give him a full pre-season and a chance to be a rotation player next season.

Would help his development, the budget and future sale prospects.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on April 30, 2023, 05:07:12 pm by tyke1962 »
I think the game is always changing and evolving but some things are always valuable. Yes like you say Tyke, you have a strong tall player like Haaland who has pace and is actually more dangerous running behind and facing the opposition rather than back to play. But for De Bruyne’s goal against Arsenal he showed classic target man hold up play in what was a direct but very very good goal. Something Man City as trendsetters are doing increasingly.

Liverpool have stopped playing with Firmino who has world class hold up play in favour of Darwin Nunez (physical running at you type) and their dynamic has fallen apart this season.

A player like Harry Kane who is a midfielder and striker all in 1 could play in any era past, present or whatever the future holds.

Giroud another one still causing problems at international level at 36 years old. Superb player.

It’s about getting players to compliment what we already have and you will know George Millers strengths and weaknesses are.

I think personally there's more to George Miller's game than you've probably seen .

We played Bolton away in last season's league cup 1st round and put a scratch team out and Miller played RWB .

On the night he was excellent and easily our best player , I'm not suggesting he should become a RWB what I'm saying there's more to his game than perhaps you've seen .

When Connor Chaplin was at Oakwell he played up front and got isolated much of the time , he was alright but you couldn't help thinking there was more in him .

He goes to Ipswich and they convert him to an attacking midfielder so now he's playing the game facing forward and he's become twice the player we saw at Oakwell and scored 23 league one goals this season

George strikes me as someone who could do similar .

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on April 30, 2023, 05:25:00 pm by Campsall rover »
When I use the word physicality Tyke ref a striker I don’t mean he has to be 6ft 4ins
What we need is someone who can play with his back to goal, hold the ball up and bring people into play.
Yes we need mobility and some pace also but they are fairly rare commodities to have all in one player at in league 2.

Just someone like Marquis, Ironside, or the like would do.
Miller could thrive alongside someone of that ilk.
If we had a Mullin and Palmer like Wrexham then you don’t need a hold up player.
Just sheer pace and quality finishing would destroy all league 2 defences.
You need the midfielders though with the ability to feed them of course,

Trouble is DS is fixated with a lone striker so it’s a problem.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on April 30, 2023, 05:39:01 pm by Campsall rover »
I think the game is always changing and evolving but some things are always valuable. Yes like you say Tyke, you have a strong tall player like Haaland who has pace and is actually more dangerous running behind and facing the opposition rather than back to play. But for De Bruyne’s goal against Arsenal he showed classic target man hold up play in what was a direct but very very good goal. Something Man City as trendsetters are doing increasingly.

Liverpool have stopped playing with Firmino who has world class hold up play in favour of Darwin Nunez (physical running at you type) and their dynamic has fallen apart this season.

A player like Harry Kane who is a midfielder and striker all in 1 could play in any era past, present or whatever the future holds.

Giroud another one still causing problems at international level at 36 years old. Superb player.

It’s about getting players to compliment what we already have and you will know George Millers strengths and weaknesses are.

I think personally there's more to George Miller's game than you've probably seen .

We played Bolton away in last season's league cup 1st round and put a scratch team out and Miller played RWB .

On the night he was excellent and easily our best player , I'm not suggesting he should become a RWB what I'm saying there's more to his game than perhaps you've seen .

When Connor Chaplin was at Oakwell he played up front and got isolated much of the time , he was alright but you couldn't help thinking there was more in him .

He goes to Ipswich and they convert him to an attacking midfielder so now he's playing the game facing forward and he's become twice the player we saw at Oakwell and scored 23 league one goals this season

George strikes me as someone who could do similar .
Tyke imo DS has destroyed Miller’s confidence. I am sure he would prefer to be back at Barnsley as 5th choice striker than playing in this system DS plays which totally isolates him.
Any way he has been injured for about 6 weeks. Lucky him it must be more enjoyable being in rehab than playing. Sad sad state of affairs.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on April 30, 2023, 05:57:44 pm by GazLaz »
Akinde is absolutely atrocious.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on April 30, 2023, 06:02:58 pm by Chris Black come back »
He had two very good seasons at League Two level, playing for a very average side in Barnet (23 in 43 in 2015/16 and 26 in 46 in 2016/17) and a half decent season at Lincoln City also in League Two (15 in 45 in 2018/19) but has otherwise struggled with goal return in league football his entire career.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on April 30, 2023, 07:03:35 pm by ravenrover »
Tyke, when was the last time Barnsley were in L2? When was the last time you regularly watched L2 football in the flesh?

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on April 30, 2023, 07:45:08 pm by danumdon »
A great many of our striking issues this season have been about the support play for anyone who has had the unfortunate task of being out "lone striker" If we had Haaland playing for us this season things would have not been much better due to the awful transitions we have as a whole in the team.

Still believe our 5 at the back is the main contributor to all our issues, we don't get the benefit of any forward momentum or attacking prowess from any of our wing backs this season barr Maxwell who just before he went down was producing MOM performances on a regular basis. Even Moly who in all intents should be a progressive and forward thinking "wing back" has struggled to get forward enough to A, provide deliveries or ammunition for a lone forward or B, provide support and a passing option if any of our "lone forwards " ever have the audacity to be able to hold onto a ball.

Because we have the slowest midfield this side of a jar of molasses we needed our wing backs to be able to get into advanced positions far more often than happens, if they did and could we would have the opportunity to play balls into dangerous areas for the lone striker and players like Hurst/Barlow to run onto and crate something from not too much, because the wing backs are far to preoccupied with having to defend a flood of players coming through to them because of ineffective tracking back from our "slow thinking central midfielders" this will always be the issue for a team created in the image of DS.

We don't necessarily need massive size and brute strength we need, proactive midfielders with guile and speed of thought to get forward to support a striker who also can be quick and bright to capitalise on poor defending or a breaking ball, opportunities we seemed to have spurned all season, i think Miller in the last couple of games has created two half chances from just being this type.

John Marques used to do it on a regular basis when here.

We need smarter and brighter thinking from our attacking players as well as our dogmatic HC.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on April 30, 2023, 08:27:05 pm by Campsall rover »
Tyke, when was the last time Barnsley were in L2? When was the last time you regularly watched L2 football in the flesh?
It’s a fair question to ask him ravenrover as League 2 is considerably inferior to League 1.
This is an awful league. I am astonished actually at how bad it is.

I would think all this seasons top 7/8 clubs in the National league would finish in the top 14/15 easily in this league this season.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on April 30, 2023, 08:34:50 pm by Campsall rover »
A great many of our striking issues this season have been about the support play for anyone who has had the unfortunate task of being out "lone striker" If we had Haaland playing for us this season things would have not been much better due to the awful transitions we have as a whole in the team.

Still believe our 5 at the back is the main contributor to all our issues, we don't get the benefit of any forward momentum or attacking prowess from any of our wing backs this season barr Maxwell who just before he went down was producing MOM performances on a regular basis. Even Moly who in all intents should be a progressive and forward thinking "wing back" has struggled to get forward enough to A, provide deliveries or ammunition for a lone forward or B, provide support and a passing option if any of our "lone forwards " ever have the audacity to be able to hold onto a ball.

Because we have the slowest midfield this side of a jar of molasses we needed our wing backs to be able to get into advanced positions far more often than happens, if they did and could we would have the opportunity to play balls into dangerous areas for the lone striker and players like Hurst/Barlow to run onto and crate something from not too much, because the wing backs are far to preoccupied with having to defend a flood of players coming through to them because of ineffective tracking back from our "slow thinking central midfielders" this will always be the issue for a team created in the image of DS.

We don't necessarily need massive size and brute strength we need, proactive midfielders with guile and speed of thought to get forward to support a striker who also can be quick and bright to capitalise on poor defending or a breaking ball, opportunities we seemed to have spurned all season, i think Miller in the last couple of games has created two half chances from just being this type.

John Marques used to do it on a regular basis when here.

We need smarter and brighter thinking from our attacking players as well as our dogmatic HC.
Stop giving DS compliments. “Dogmatic”  know what you’re saying but the man is blinded by his own incompetence. He seriously is the worst coach I have ever seen. Well one tharpts supposed to be a coach.
Can’t count Weaver because well he just was an insignificance.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on April 30, 2023, 09:11:03 pm by tyke1962 »

1979 , but I watch enough league two football to form an opinion , probably seen four or five games this season .

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on April 30, 2023, 09:26:20 pm by tyke1962 »
When I use the word physicality Tyke ref a striker I don’t mean he has to be 6ft 4ins
What we need is someone who can play with his back to goal, hold the ball up and bring people into play.
Yes we need mobility and some pace also but they are fairly rare commodities to have all in one player at in league 2.

Just someone like Marquis, Ironside, or the like would do.
Miller could thrive alongside someone of that ilk.
If we had a Mullin and Palmer like Wrexham then you don’t need a hold up player.
Just sheer pace and quality finishing would destroy all league 2 defences.
You need the midfielders though with the ability to feed them of course,

Trouble is DS is fixated with a lone striker so it’s a problem.

But how many players today are coached with those attributes Campsall ?

We all agree the games evolved or to put it another way the players that Rovers and ourselves are in the market for have more often than not started at a higher level , probably in these academies since they were 10 years old and got released .

We've probably picked them up when they did well at a lower level and offer them a route back .

Rovers have picked up a number of players in the same way , often when they are surplus to requirements at bigger clubs .

There's a hell of a lot of coaching already in these lads to play the game a certain way .

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on May 01, 2023, 02:08:11 pm by ravenrover »

1979 , but I watch enough league two football to form an opinion , probably seen four or five games this season .
How many of those involved Donny? Look at the calibre of forward players we have. Nearly every team I've watched us play this season have had big forwards and not all used as big lumps, sorry Tyke but we will have to disagree about big lads up front

redrover10

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on May 01, 2023, 02:57:00 pm by redrover10 »
Kyle hudlin from Huddersfield 6ft 9 could be worth a loan deal

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on May 01, 2023, 03:55:52 pm by tyke1962 »

How many of those involved Donny? Look at the calibre of forward players we have. Nearly every team I've watched us play this season have had big forwards and not all used as big lumps, sorry Tyke but we will have to disagree about big lads up front

I think we've crossed wires along the way Raven .

I'm cool with the big bugga up top and a focal point , the focus on a more direct approach and get that ball up in the opposition's defensive third as quickly as you can and put them under huge pressure , feed off the bits and pieces around the box with runners supporting the big lad .

Where I'm sceptical is the hold up man which in my opinion can slow the play down .

I can accept hold up play when managing a game , 1-0 up away from home going in to the last 10 minutes , drawing fouls and generally running the clock down .

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on May 01, 2023, 04:19:37 pm by drfchound »

Hi tyke.
The best team I saw at our place this season were ….. Kings Lynn in the FACup game.
I think that says much about the lack of quality in L2.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 08:38:52 pm by drfchound »

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on May 03, 2023, 07:40:14 am by ncRover »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on May 03, 2023, 08:33:32 am by Campsall rover »

Hi tyke.
The best team I saw at our place this season were ….. Kings Lynn in the FACup game.
I think that says much about the lack of quality in L2.
Agree hound.
They were the most impressive side we have played at home this season.
They did a proper job on us.
There was only one team going to win that game from min 1 to min 90+

The only other team that looked quite decent was Mansfield

If we’re a half decent team with Manager who set us up right we would have finished top 7 no problem
With 3/4 quality players we would have been challenging Leyton Orient for the title.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on May 03, 2023, 02:49:35 pm by ForsolongaRover »
I think it would be a god thing if Schofield read what is being said here because I am not convinced that he has any idea at all about what is needed. Has anyone ever heard him talk in a way that makes you believe that he understands what sort of qualities a team needs in its players to achieve results in League 2?

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on May 13, 2023, 07:05:32 am by ncRover »
Agreed with Baz, a big lump like Matt Smith is no good.

Joe Ironside from Cambridge fits the bill, good in the air and hard working. 14 goals in L1 last season and 14 in L2 the season before getting Cambridge promoted. Is from Middlesbrough like Copps so could easily be talked in to a move up north. Out of contract.
Great shout ncRover.
If Ironside is out of contract then we should go and get him. I like him. Not that big in stature but strong like Marquis and scores goals. Has a 1 in 3 scoring record at Cambridge over 123 games and a 1 in 2 at Kidderminster over 84 games.
As you say from Middlesbrough so Copps will understand his accent  :)
Unless Copps has got any better lined up then Ironside would be a great signing.

Released by Cambridge.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on May 13, 2023, 08:23:21 am by Campsall rover »
GM will have a list compiled that’s for sure.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on May 13, 2023, 08:38:33 am by Alan Southstand »
Reading on twitter, just yesterday, that, according to some bright spark, GM has already been in touch with JM about a return. How anybody would actually know that, I don’t know, but it does make you wonder what GM is thinking along the lines of.

His interview was a very good guide to where he’s going to be coming from. Talking about ‘an unforgiving league’ and ‘being able to mix it’ are on the money and we’ve (supporters) been saying it for long enough that we simply don’t have that type of player, certainly not in midfield or attack. I think that is going to change with GM. I just hope TB’s significant funds are enough to get what he wants.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on May 13, 2023, 09:01:20 am by Campsall rover »
Reading on twitter, just yesterday, that, according to some bright spark, GM has already been in touch with JM about a return. How anybody would actually know that, I don’t know, but it does make you wonder what GM is thinking along the lines of.

His interview was a very good guide to where he’s going to be coming from. Talking about ‘an unforgiving league’ and ‘being able to mix it’ are on the money and we’ve (supporters) been saying it for long enough that we simply don’t have that type of player, certainly not in midfield or attack. I think that is going to change with GM. I just hope TB’s significant funds are enough to get what he wants.
I am sure they will be. TB isn’t messing about with this.
I think he has realised that the budget was way off what was required to compete for a top 3 spot.
Having said that Stevenage achieved it but they had the Evans factor. Hate saying it but he is a motivator if nothing else. I think it only works for so long at each club with him. Once he starts throwing tea cups at players he then starts losing them.
Think that’s proved at the short length of time he is at each club.  2 yrs is about ave  3 yrs pretty much maximum I think anywhere.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on May 13, 2023, 09:44:57 am by drfchound »

I think he has realised that the budget was way off what was required to compete for a top 3 spot.
Having said that Stevenage achieved it but they had the Evans factor. Hate saying it but he is a motivator if nothing else. I think it only works for so long at each club with him. Once he starts throwing tea cups at players he then starts losing them.
Think that’s proved at the short length of time he is at each club.  2 yrs is about ave  3 yrs pretty much maximum I think anywhere.

“Once he starts throwing tea cups at players he then starts losing them”.
Camps, I don’t think that Evans will worry about losing a few tea cups mate.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on May 13, 2023, 10:16:31 am by selby »
  IN Goodman and Adamson the academy have unearthed two youngsters (strikers) who want nurturing and bringing on next season and  probably good loans at a good level combined with training with the first team squad to get the feel of proper men's football.
  They are the most talented young strikers we have had for a long time, are different styles of play that complement each other, Goodman has come on leaps and bounds this season, is a goal scorer and hold up player, Adamson is tall and quick takes defenders on and runs the channels wider, and also gets in the box.
  My opinion is, if those two and Flint who has the capabilities of being a good defensive midfielder reads a game and positionally is very good are not given the correct pathway by the club it is a failure of the academy system, they are at and above u18s level now Adamson and Flint only 17yrs old coming to their second year as a scholars. They need to be stretched and challenged in men's football and Goodman needs careful handling in and around the first team or a very good loan at somewhere like Gainsborough where the manager has an interest in bringing young talent on,.
  We as a club cannot afford to waste this chance, both for possible financial gain and for the players themselves to have good careers in the game.
   At every age group we have youngsters who are showing a lot of promise, some attracting big clubs watching them every week with envious eyes, which is great but no good if the pathway disappears at 18yrs old and comes to a full stop.
  If we are not to have an u23s or a lot of good friendlies we have to find other ways of allowing them to progress.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2023, 10:14:07 pm by selby »

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on May 13, 2023, 10:16:39 am by Colin C No.3 »

As many as that….wow!

rover-n-out

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on May 13, 2023, 12:42:22 pm by rover-n-out »
Selby, I ask you this question with the utmost respect, and without sarcasm, but are you, or have you been a football coach/manager/scout? as your posts show a great understanding of the game, and make for a very interesting and informative read. Just curious that's all.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on May 13, 2023, 01:17:04 pm by Campsall rover »

“Once he starts throwing tea cups at players he then starts losing them”.
Camps, I don’t think that Evans will worry about losing a few tea cups mate.
He might if he has to fork out for some new ones. The knives will be out for him.  :chair:

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on May 13, 2023, 01:35:25 pm by selby »
  Managed teams, coached youngsters,  even refereed games and watched football for over seventy years, and have seen many good players misused and overlooked who have been lost to the game.

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on May 13, 2023, 09:19:33 pm by ChrisBx »
Sam Smith has left Cambridge following the expiry of his contract. Almost certainly out of our league though.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012