Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 10:06:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the summer transfer window  (Read 19703 times)

scunny rover

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the summer transfer window
« Reply #120 on June 13, 2023, 07:36:45 pm by scunny rover »
Was watching a prog called rhe daily motion the lad from the free press said he'd been given a name which would be some signing for lge2,no name so a shit rumour really

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

keyser_soze

• Forum Member
« Reply #121 on June 13, 2023, 07:58:16 pm by keyser_soze »
This must be the biggest squad we have had on a long time.

Especially when you consider Ravenhill, Degruchy and Kuleya as well as Griffiths and Lavery still signed on for now. You would imagine a couple of loanees as well as the cherry on the cake, but luckily not the nucleus of the squad that have been signed on 1 or 2 year deals.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #122 on June 13, 2023, 08:00:17 pm by roversdude »
What’s disappointed me is I haven’t seen anything from Challs sources lol
Also are signings now done electronically negating the need for the pen

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #123 on June 13, 2023, 08:06:57 pm by roversdude »
Are these all GM players or were some already lined up, I guess there would have been a veto if required. They all seem sold on Grants vision

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #124 on June 13, 2023, 08:11:54 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
This must be the biggest squad we have had on a long time.

Especially when you consider Ravenhill, Degruchy and Kuleya as well as Griffiths and Lavery still signed on for now. You would imagine a couple of loanees as well as the cherry on the cake, but luckily not the nucleus of the squad that have been signed on 1 or 2 year deals.

Suppose it’s too late to register a U23 side for the season. Looks like we’d have a decent team for a change. Without that all the younger players will need to go to a decent club on loan for sure.

Faulkner should get a starting place in the National League on loan. Play every week then whatever league we are in next season he’s a starter.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #125 on June 13, 2023, 08:14:03 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Are these all GM players or were some already lined up, I guess there would have been a veto if required. They all seem sold on Grants vision

I get the feeling they are copps players or at least were lined up already. Wood was certainly the other kind of fit what we saw from him last season I.e. from the North East & been around the lower divisions a bit

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on June 13, 2023, 08:26:16 pm by scawsby steve »

I get the feeling they are copps players or at least were lined up already. Wood was certainly the other kind of fit what we saw from him last season I.e. from the North East & been around the lower divisions a bit

I think the players Copps would have had lined up would have been the kind of players to fit Schofield's possession based football.

Also, GM will be determined to build his own side. I doubt he'll be swayed by Copps very much IMO.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #127 on June 13, 2023, 08:26:50 pm by Bessie Red »
I do like the signings we are making. Youngish players who have proved they can cut it in the National League and are now at a stage to show what they can do in the EFl mixed in with some good solid pros who have played at this level and higher. We've all said before that there are some very good players in the National Lge who we should be pursuing, let's hope the ones we have signed deliver the goods. I am confident they will.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #128 on June 13, 2023, 09:41:14 pm by steve@dcfd »
Was watching a prog called rhe daily motion the lad from the free press said he'd been given a name which would be some signing for lge2,no name so a shit rumour really
He wouldn’t give a name would he so he might be still to come

scunny rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #129 on June 14, 2023, 06:44:46 am by scunny rover »
This is just me no rumour or any names I think there are 2 more to come in.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on June 14, 2023, 07:56:32 am by RugbyRover »
Bobby Gould said that there were lots of very good players down in non league, the problem being that if you signed too many of them you ended up with a non league team.

So far we have signed players from Gateshead, Halifax, Hartlepool, Dundee (:)) and the Blades lad who played in the conference last year. These have been added to the worst squad we've had for years.

Just saying....

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #131 on June 14, 2023, 08:01:17 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Plenty of non league signings in the past have been great.  Think of our division 3 title team, they were nearly all non league players with the exception of maybe Leo and then Brown on loan?

I'd also add a lot of the players we had last year were better than where they finished.  To me we have depth, fight and quality in our side for next year and building quite nicely.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #132 on June 14, 2023, 08:18:45 am by DonnyOsmond »
Quality of National League isn't that far from League Two nowadays. A top player in his role the National League will be one of the top 5 or so players in his role in League Two.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #133 on June 14, 2023, 08:28:49 am by Bessie Red »
Bobby Gould said that there were lots of very good players down in non league, the problem being that if you signed too many of them you ended up with a non league team.

So far we have signed players from Gateshead, Halifax, Hartlepool, Dundee (:)) and the Blades lad who played in the conference last year. These have been added to the worst squad we've had for years.

Just saying....

Did you omit Richard Wood on purpose to try and make a point?

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #134 on June 14, 2023, 08:33:05 am by RugbyRover »

Just saying....

well, yeah I did.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #135 on June 14, 2023, 08:37:50 am by ncRover »

Just saying....

And Joe Ironside. Stockport were also looking at Sterry in January so he will be an upgrade on James Brown.

Besides, these recent players have come with good reputations and are on upwards career trajectories. For the first time in recent memory we are also beating other clubs to sought after signatures.

All our recent signings bar Lawlor would have got another L2 minimum move.

Mitchell, Dodoo, Hiwula, Barlow, Griffiths, Agard, Clayton and Gardner are all far worse signings and we made them in league one. Not to mention all the half-arsed loanees - not one loan yet this window!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 08:58:45 am by ncRover »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #136 on June 14, 2023, 09:47:41 am by drfchound »

Just saying....

And Joe Ironside. Stockport were also looking at Sterry in January so he will be an upgrade on James Brown.

Besides, these recent players have come with good reputations and are on upwards career trajectories. For the first time in recent memory we are also beating other clubs to sought after signatures.

Mitchell, Dodoo, Hiwula, Barlow, Griffiths, Agard, Clayton and Gardner are all far worse signings and we made them in league one. Not to mention all the half-arsed loanees - not one loan yet this window!

The loans don’t usually come in until a week or two before the season kicks off.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #137 on June 14, 2023, 09:56:34 am by pib »
No issue with where players are signed from as long as they're good enough.

McIndoe was a signing from a non-league team technically at the time, but turned out to be one of the best pieces of business the club has done. Same could be said with Coppinger himself.

I don't know much about the lads we've signed from non-league as I've not knowingly seen them play or delved into their careers, but the theme seems to be that they're all at a good age, all seem to be on an upward trajectory in their careers, and all seem to have been in the top bracket of performers in their positions in the National League, which is a very competitive level probably on a par or not that far away from L2.

In principle I'd much rather us be looking for players like this than people like Agard, Gardner, Lavery etc. like we have in previous seasons. Time will tell if they're good signings, but we do seem on the face of it to have some sense of direction with our transfer activity for the first time in a while, which is something I welcome.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #138 on June 14, 2023, 10:18:23 am by DearneValleyRover »
I’m expecting any loans we sign will be to replace any of our current squad (not the new signings) that fall short in pre-season training

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #139 on June 14, 2023, 10:28:57 am by ncRover »

Just saying....

The loans don’t usually come in until a week or two before the season kicks off.

Yes but there is only room for 2 loans max now which is a departure from the usual 4/5 in the squad each year. McCann is better at identifying loan talent as well (Wilks, Kane). We are a more attractive place to send them now as well.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 10:31:17 am by ncRover »

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #140 on June 14, 2023, 11:01:55 am by steve@dcfd »
If you read what GM said about loans then we might not be having any unless they are of quality.  Getting loans to sit on the bench and managers phoning asking why they are not playing is not what GM wants

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #141 on June 14, 2023, 02:23:31 pm by RoversInSpain »
With the signings so far I think we are good for a playoff challenge. The next 2 signings (if indeed there is two) are the ones that will put us into an automatic promotion challenge. They would need to be strong, creative, quick and scare the living daylights out of most lge 2 teams, and perhaps be proven at lg1 or low championship level (thinking a Sadlier, Wilkes or McIndoe type). These 2 would probably take up a fair chunk of TB’s funding, but will be the difference.
Massive Thanks to TB for Getting us all positively retuned into the mighty Hoops.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #142 on June 14, 2023, 02:53:12 pm by roversdude »

Just saying....

Well that’s popped the optimism bubble
Wood, Ironside must be planning on non league I guess

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #143 on June 14, 2023, 02:53:46 pm by ForsolongaRover »

Just saying....
Chris Wilder built his Sheff U promotion-winning team - L1 to PL - on signing good players from lower leagues. The McCann style of playing has much in common with CW’s.

donnybez

• Forum Member
« Reply #144 on June 14, 2023, 03:29:34 pm by donnybez »

Just saying....

I'd counter all of that quite quickly:

McIndoe & Copps are proof that great non league players can match it at this level and indeed far higher

Last season was abyssmal but lets be fair - if you are forced into a frigid style of play that doesn't suit your abilities, shoved out of position... you're hardly going to show your best. I don't think its the worst squad we've had in years, I think the choices of managers were terrible and mismatched.
We now have a league 1 winning manager who nearly had Hull in the championship play offs until the heart of that squad was snatched away. He's inheriting a squad that has a striker who scored double digits despite negative tactics and clear low confidence, the combative professionalism of Tommy Rowe, experience of Anderson and countless others...

We've signed 3 non league lads who've come from higher up the pyramid previously and competed with Wrexham and Notts County (this seasons League 2 favourites), a lad from Hartlepool who was undoubtedly one of their bright sparks in FL2 and could've ended up at Stockport (another favourite), a defender who has very much been there and done it with promotions glore on his resume, a striker whose scored hatloads at a higher level and can hold his own, and a keeper whose performed at this level before.

These lads are hungry, combative, aggressive, and want success. And the manager encapsulates this. Bring 23/24 on

philsky

• Forum Member
« Reply #145 on June 14, 2023, 03:43:01 pm by philsky »

Just saying....

McIndoe & Copps are proof that great non league players can match it at this level and indeed far higher

Last season was abyssmal but lets be fair - if you are forced into a frigid style of play that doesn't suit your abilities, shoved out of position... you're hardly going to show your best. I don't think its the worst squad we've had in years, I think the choices of managers were terrible and mismatched.
We now have a league 1 winning manager who nearly had Hull in the championship play offs until the heart of that squad was snatched away. He's inheriting a squad that has a striker who scored double digits despite negative tactics and clear low confidence, the combative professionalism of Tommy Rowe, experience of Anderson and countless others...

We've signed 3 non league lads who've come from higher up the pyramid previously and competed with Wrexham and Notts County (this seasons League 2 favourites), a lad from Hartlepool who was undoubtedly one of their bright sparks in FL2 and could've ended up at Stockport (another favourite), a defender who has very much been there and done it with promotions glore on his resume, a striker whose scored hatloads at a higher level and can hold his own, and a keeper whose performed at this level before.

These lads are hungry, combative, aggressive, and want success. And the manager encapsulates this. Bring 23/24 on

Spot. On.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #146 on June 14, 2023, 05:01:49 pm by RugbyRover »

Just saying....

I'll pass that onto Bob G next time I see him.

What the fcuk does he know anyway!

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #147 on June 14, 2023, 05:15:40 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
We need another top striker, with a few creative players and we will have a chance of doing well.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #148 on June 14, 2023, 06:46:14 pm by Dutch Uncle »

Just saying....

I'll pass that onto Bob G next time I see him.

What the fcuk does he know anyway!

'Bob G' ....... you had me very confused for a minute there, I thought you were talking about one of our own  :lol: :lol:

Ryaldinhio

• Forum Member
« Reply #149 on June 15, 2023, 12:03:28 am by Ryaldinhio »

Just saying....

I agree with all of that other than the mention of Anderson. For me the 2.5yr deal was poor descision. I would move him one ASAP.

BUT I also know GM mentioned him specifically for character etc when he first came in so maybe there is more than what we see on a match day.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012