Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 10:35:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Starting 11  (Read 4123 times)

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
Re: Starting 11
« Reply #30 on June 18, 2023, 12:09:09 pm by RugbyRover »
                              Jones

Sterry           Faulkner          Wood          Maxwell

Close             Bailey      Rowe

Molyneux                 Ironside                 Roberts

LJ is a way better keeper than Lawlor ever will be.
BF needs to stay in the team to learn from Wood. Anderson benched. The other center backs can all go for me.
Has anyone seen Senior play? Maxwell was largely decent and deserves to start.
Same with Broadbent, why pick him ahead of TR I don't know.
Close needs to deliver pretty sharpish or else will be chopped but will benefit from Bailey covering up his weaknesses and letting him concentrate on his strengths.
LM will be better with a overlapping full back behind him and Ironside ahead.
Hurst will come into the side if Roberts fails. 1st time loans are a risk and I expect big things from Hurst this year. Could also replace Rowe if he struggles.

Excited to see Sterry and Bailey and expect them two to make a big difference this year.
With Wood, Bailey and Ironside we look to have a spine of a team that will allow us to compete. The other ball players will then come into their own.

Good grief I bet you’re as barrel of laughs , talk about looking on the bright side of life

blimey, and that's one of my more positive posts  :laugh:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on June 18, 2023, 12:18:53 pm by Chris Black come back »
I think it fair to make constructive observations even if they sound critical.

We’ve done what looks like some very good business. Some observations though:

1. It is fair to say Lawlor is not the strongest keeper in League Two.

2. The defence looks like it is Anderson aside, an entirely new unit including the keeper. We have obviously needed this but so much change will take time to bed in.

3. Very little creativity in midfield.

4. Very little pace in the side.

5. Probably enough with two central strikers, assuming he plays just one up or one in a front three. If Goodman goes on loan as expected that is a bit thin.

Still time to do some further business and we don’t know how McCann will set his side up of course.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on June 18, 2023, 12:19:33 pm by Canadian Rover »
We have experienced a series of unfortunate injury setbacks over the past few seasons. These injuries have plagued key players, disrupting team cohesion, and hindered he club's progress on the pitch.

Operating on a limited resources compared to our competitors has lead to a poor squad and poor league and cup performances.

This closed season Rovers have made astute moves in the transfer market. The club has brought in new signings who not only possess skills but also demonstrate physical robustness. By bolstering the squad with players who are less prone to injuries.

What's more important than the starting eleven now is the overall strength of the squad.

We are going into a season not putting all our hopes on the likes of injury prone Taylor and Anderson.

It looks like Rowe, Taylor and Anderson are important squad players now but not absolutely essential to our success. The influences of Hurst, Close, Miller and Mollyneux likewise.

I predict we will see a much better season for the club without having to make excuses of our non performance on players that are injured.

This is all down to Terry Bramall and the increase in budget alongside an experienced management team. We have endured some terrible football and some terrible football decisions in recent seasons. Things no doubt are looking to turn around.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 12:54:28 pm by Canadian Rover »

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on June 18, 2023, 12:29:41 pm by ncRover »
I think it fair to make constructive observations even if they sound critical.

We’ve done what looks like some very good business. Some observations though:

1. It is fair to say Lawlor is not the strongest keeper in League Two.

2. The defence looks like it is Anderson aside, an entirely new unit including the keeper. We have obviously needed this but so much change will take time to bed in.

3. Very little creativity in midfield.

4. Very little pace in the side.

5. Probably enough with two central strikers, assuming he plays just one up or one in a front three. If Goodman goes on loan as expected that is a bit thin.

Still time to do some further business and we don’t know how McCann will set his side up of course.

Who were Leyton Orient, Stevenage and Northampton’s creative sparks in midfield? League 2 is a battle. Westbrooke is the creative option. Not many others available on the market.

In other areas, the full backs will provide creativity. Ironside’s hold up play will create chances too.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 12:39:30 pm by ncRover »

Reg of the Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on June 18, 2023, 12:29:41 pm by Reg of the Rovers »
The squad feels like it's about moving us forward now, bags of potential and getting the best from our good players.

Oluwu is as important as Wood for me - they'd be my main pair with Bobby supporting to learn his trade. Anderson been a great servant but he's a shadow of the player he was, same with Taylor - time to move on and build our future - they're bit part players at best now.

Close wouldn't put the kit on again for me, he's not 'awful' but he is completely ineffective and has none of the pride, passion and commitment I would expect from one of our most senior players - again, time to move on now with Grant and keep building to our future.

Hurst, Moly, Miller and Biggins will start to shine now I think, and the new lads we've brought in make the season ahead very exciding - with good options in every position.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on June 18, 2023, 12:43:46 pm by Rovers91 »
I think we will get another winger in and someone on loan who can play as a striker with both having pace, then I think we will be done until McCann has worked with the squad.
Midfield I like and I think a good manager like McCann will get so much more out of them and we will have a lot of energy in midfield.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on June 18, 2023, 12:46:33 pm by GazLaz »
I think the best XI players in the longer run will end up proving to be…

Jones

Maxwell
Olowu
Wood
Sterry

Biggins
Broadbent
Close

(not sure ATM)
Ironside
Roberts

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on June 18, 2023, 01:56:08 pm by Bessie Red »

Jones

Maxwell
Olowu
Wood
Sterry

Biggins
Broadbent
Close

(not sure ATM)
Ironside
Roberts

Gaz, you seem a fairly knowledgeable fella when it comes to footie.
How do you think your team above would fare with McCann managing them in the league next season?
Top 3, play offs, top half, mid table, lower half or relegation battle?

Curious to have your view!

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on June 18, 2023, 02:19:06 pm by albie »
Very difficult for me to see Wood and Anderson playing as a pair, I think it is one of them alongside Olowu.

We don't know if Tom is fully recovered from his injuries from last season, which is why I was surprised we gave the contract extension before GM was appointed.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on June 18, 2023, 03:07:18 pm by Chris Black come back »
A long extension as well.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on June 18, 2023, 04:32:24 pm by andyst79 »
Very difficult for me to see Wood and Anderson playing as a pair, I think it is one of them alongside Olowu.

We don't know if Tom is fully recovered from his injuries from last season, which is why I was surprised we gave the contract extension before GM was appointed.
Agree with this, I think Wood will either partner Olowu or Faulkner if the latter impresses GM enough preseason. If Faulkner's not starting he needs to go to another L2 club on loan for his development.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on June 18, 2023, 04:41:31 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

Jones

Maxwell
Olowu
Wood
Sterry

Biggins
Broadbent
Close

(not sure ATM)
Ironside
Roberts

Agree with most of this though I’ve not seen Roberts much and am always aware loaners can get lost in their 1st spell.

Other position that’s a bit surprising is Owen Bailey at CDM. Lots of positives on twitter about him from people who seem to follow the game closely. From that I’d expect him to be a 1st choice.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on June 18, 2023, 05:15:31 pm by DonnyOsmond »
TBD Ironside Molyneux
Rowe Bailey Close
Senior Olowu Wood Sterry
Lawlor

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on June 18, 2023, 05:23:30 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
A lot of people expecting a big step up from Molyneux by the looks of it.

For me he’s behind Hurst who in his 1st season of pro football did very well. Yes inconsistent but more effective than Molynuex imo.

A case for both of them improving in a better team that has the ball in the opponents half more

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on June 18, 2023, 05:31:42 pm by andyst79 »
A Lot of people are quick to write off Maxwell & Hurst. Maxwell improved as the season went on and I think GM will get the best out of Hurst
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 06:04:39 pm by andyst79 »

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on June 18, 2023, 05:53:00 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
Maxwell has the potential to be a top player, this season is a big one for him.
He won’t play both senior centre backs if he’s playing a high line, if he isn’t planning on that he might.
We have a lot of good options now, with a few more signings still to come.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on June 18, 2023, 06:45:53 pm by scawsby steve »
                              Jones

BF needs to stay in the team to learn from Wood. Anderson benched. The other center backs can all go for me.
Close needs to deliver pretty sharpish or else will be chopped but will benefit from Bailey covering up his weaknesses and letting him concentrate on his strengths.
Hurst will come into the side if Roberts fails. 1st time loans are a risk and I expect big things from Hurst this year. Could also replace Rowe if he struggles.

Excited to see Sterry and Bailey and expect them two to make a big difference this year.
With Wood, Bailey and Ironside we look to have a spine of a team that will allow us to compete. The other ball players will then come into their own.

As I said in the OP, it's all about opinions, but I have to admit, I find some of those selections a bit strange. Close and Molyneux were both bloody awful last season, and Jones and Faulkner are both young and still learning.

Regarding Senior, those that have seen him play reckon he's a very good left back. Maxwell looked promising last season, but wasn't always consistent.

We'll just have to wait and see. However, I reckon GM will be going for a lot of high pressing, energetic physicality this coming season.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on June 18, 2023, 08:41:05 pm by selby »
  Jones and Faulkner will get game time and will have to play for the shirt when they get the chance.
  They will be in our squad, one that is much stronger than last season when they should have played much more than they did in a poor team, led by a manager limited in ability and frightened of youth.
  They both have a new challenge now' they need to be on it, fit and ready for the challenge, I believe both have the ability and desire to rise to the challenge, might need patience at the start of the league programme, but need to meet the challenge head on.
  Nobody should be a shoe in, we have had a couple of years when favouritism and not picking our best players, playing them in systems and positions that didn't suit the players ability has got us in the position we are now in  the league.
  It is time to have a squad playing for each other, competing for places within the group, but the group having the common ground of wanting to win games of football together as a team.
  Then the club can move forward.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on June 19, 2023, 08:33:43 am by RugbyRover »
                              Jones

As I said in the OP, it's all about opinions, but I have to admit, I find some of those selections a bit strange. Close and Molyneux were both bloody awful last season, and Jones and Faulkner are both young and still learning.

Regarding Senior, those that have seen him play reckon he's a very good left back. Maxwell looked promising last season, but wasn't always consistent.

We'll just have to wait and see. However, I reckon GM will be going for a lot of high pressing, energetic physicality this coming season.

I thought some of your selections were strange too  ;)

Why pick a keeper who spent last year sitting on the bench in the Scottish Championship (Championship not Premiership). He was hardly a fans favorite in his first spell here. Jones was MOTM in his last two games.

Wood has been brought in to do the job that Anderson was supposed to do but failed. Anderson's backs gone and he's fallen behind in the pecking order. Now its all about getting the right partner for Wood. I think Bobby has all the attributes to compliment him, plus we need to have one eye on the future and continue Faulkner's development.

You are right about Close and Moly being crap last season, even Tommy Rowe. But they were all proven players before they were plunged into the cesspit of the "process". I'm expecting them to rediscover their true form with a better framework and better players around them.

If Senior turns out to be better than Maxwell then great, I've not seen him play. Maxwell did ok and was badly missed when he got injured.

As you say its all about opinions.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on June 19, 2023, 09:44:39 am by Chris Black come back »
Faulkner is probably ahead of Long but behind Wood, Anderson and Olowu. If everyone is fit and we are playing 2 centre backs then it might at least initially be a struggle to make the bench.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 11:20:12 am by Chris Black come back »

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on June 19, 2023, 10:08:16 am by RobTheRover »
Interesting thread.

All I know for sure is that we have a capable squad who will have a full pre-season together and plenty of friendlies for fitness and for GM (and us) to take a good look at them, possibly in a number of different roles and formation. I'm looking forward to seeing what Grant and Cliff settle on as our strongest side as I'm buggered if I can call it right now.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on June 19, 2023, 10:13:12 am by Rovers91 »
Faulkner is probably ahead of along but behind Wood, Anderson and Olowu. If everyone is fit and we are playing 2 centre backs then it might at least initially be a struggle to make the bench.

I also think if Younger proves hit fitness he will get a years deal as the club must think something of him to invite him back. That debut at MK Dons he was immense and just had an horrid bit of luck last season.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 10:19:48 am by Rovers91 »

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on June 19, 2023, 07:25:01 pm by scawsby steve »
                              Jones

I thought some of your selections were strange too  ;)

Why pick a keeper who spent last year sitting on the bench in the Scottish Championship (Championship not Premiership). He was hardly a fans favorite in his first spell here. Jones was MOTM in his last two games.

Wood has been brought in to do the job that Anderson was supposed to do but failed. Anderson's backs gone and he's fallen behind in the pecking order. Now its all about getting the right partner for Wood. I think Bobby has all the attributes to compliment him, plus we need to have one eye on the future and continue Faulkner's development.

You are right about Close and Moly being crap last season, even Tommy Rowe. But they were all proven players before they were plunged into the cesspit of the "process". I'm expecting them to rediscover their true form with a better framework and better players around them.

If Senior turns out to be better than Maxwell then great, I've not seen him play. Maxwell did ok and was badly missed when he got injured.

As you say its all about opinions.

I agree with most of that, RR. Regarding the Lawlor situation, I'm not really saying who should be the number 1, as I'm not overly impressed with any of them, but GM praised him highly during the interview after his signing, so I'm basing my opinion on who I think he'll pick.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on June 19, 2023, 09:49:46 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Can see Lawlor been 1st choice at the start of the season but if he has a few too many wobblers I’d back Jones to get in and keep the shirt.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on June 20, 2023, 05:00:03 pm by Alan Southstand »
I still have the feeling that we havn’t got a No1 keeper. We have two lads that ‘will do a job’ but neither are outstanding for either L2, or L1. Similarly, we havn’t got the big physical presence in centre mid., but Bailey, perhaps gives us more ‘bite’ in there. Maybe these are the signings that will come later in GM’s reign, who knows.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on June 20, 2023, 05:33:51 pm by Chris Black come back »
Lad from Sheff Utd is a big unit isn’t he?

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on June 20, 2023, 05:55:19 pm by NickDRFC »
I still have the feeling that we havn’t got a No1 keeper. We have two lads that ‘will do a job’ but neither are outstanding for either L2, or L1. Similarly, we havn’t got the big physical presence in centre mid., but Bailey, perhaps gives us more ‘bite’ in there. Maybe these are the signings that will come later in GM’s reign, who knows.

We’ve got 3 senior keepers in the squad, I agree that I don’t think any are top end League Two but there’s no way we’re bringing another keeper in now unless we get a long term injury.

rich1471

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on June 20, 2023, 05:56:07 pm by rich1471 »
I cannot see Jones singing a new contract if he is going to be third chose keeper

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on June 20, 2023, 06:26:58 pm by ForsolongaRover »

Jones’s end-of-season games did not exploit his lack of athleticism and I’d put him behind Mitchell in every way except distribution. As for Lawlor, I remember him for his mistakes and unless he has put right the weakness which he had in dealing with long-range shots, we could have two below-average keepers. Moreover I cannot understand why McCann signed him when (very sensibly) he made Marosi his first choice.

The only consolation is the fact that squads do not have room for more than 3 or occasionally 4 goalkeepers, so signing competent free agents is not as difficult as with outfield players.

Or perhaps Bottomley will come through.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on June 20, 2023, 06:34:25 pm by ncRover »

Apparently Bailey is strong in the air

TinyPortal © 2005-2012