Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 07:46:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Owls Tuesday  (Read 10069 times)

Thorney

• Forum Member
Re: Owls Tuesday
« Reply #90 on July 25, 2023, 09:47:21 pm by Thorney »
Lots of positives there. Winning the battles, running for every ball and putting pressure on. Wednesdays not had chance to create much, one awkward moment early and one long range shot in firdt half, one in second.

Good to see John Taylor back and he is at it aswell, not taking it easy, ran his socks off.

Ironside looks a handful, not 20goals a yr but a big physical lad and he won more first/second balls in that game than we did as a team all last season!

Olowu looks very good and extra composed aswell now with someone decent beside him.

Senior good at LB and the new RB stood out for me too.

Bit dissapointed with Molyeneux delivery a few times in the first half.

Liked the look of Broadbent.

Roberts had their full back every time and had a decent delivery aswell, will do damage in L2.

Don't forget Wednesday are 2 leagues above and got 96 points in L1 last yr. From what I can see their first team started aswell baring one or two. 

Need a 20+ striker to challenge for the league IMO but happy with what I saw tonight.

Still chasing balls down on 93rd minute is a joy to watch!!!

That was better than anything I watched all last season.

Up the Rovers!!!!!!

Couldn't of said it better

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on July 25, 2023, 09:48:28 pm by jmt23 »
Well Jack Senior is a find based on that, Tom Nixon looked good too, but a very well deserved MOTM to Senior.

I am not too sure on the new midfielders just yet, they never seem to be in the game, but very early days for them.

Poor Ironside had those Owls centre backs all over him, he won more than he lost, but doesn’t have any pace, so they will have to work out how to play to his strengths, asking him to chase and outpace the defenders will not work, that is Millers game.

A good game played at pace and some quite nasty challenges from the Owls.  One I am certain should have been a red on either Broadbent or Bailey, studs up, out of control ( he did luckily get the ball)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #92 on July 25, 2023, 09:51:34 pm by Filo »
Well Jack Senior is a find based on that, Tom Nixon looked good too, but a very well deserved MOTM to Senior.

I am not too sure on the new midfielders just yet, they never seem to be in the game, but very early days for them.

Poor Ironside had those Owls centre backs all over him, he won more than he lost, but doesn’t have any pace, so they will have to work out how to play to his strengths, asking him to chase and outpace the defenders will not work, that is Millers game.

A good game played at pace and some quite nasty challenges from the Owls.  One I am certain should have been a red on either Broadbent or Bailey, studs up, out of control ( he did luckily get the ball)

That tackle was Bannon, he had to kick something, because he never kicked the ball all night

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #93 on July 25, 2023, 09:59:22 pm by roversdude »
Wednesday fans couldn’t even pay tribute properly to Trevor Francis and Bart-Williams singing halfway through the applause
Think it may be a long season for them

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on July 25, 2023, 10:16:28 pm by Goole Rover »

That tackle was Bannon, he had to kick something, because he never kicked the ball all night
Bannon was the best player I had seen for years at the Eco, a pity that he's resorted to that.

Maps

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on July 25, 2023, 10:27:46 pm by Maps »
I like the look of Owen Bailey too, surprised nobody has mentioned him, got through a lot of work in midfield and kept us in possession numerous times.

This. I thought he was excellent.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on July 25, 2023, 10:29:27 pm by bpoolrover »
I liked the fact we actually looked like a professional football team for the 1st time in 2/3 years

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on July 25, 2023, 10:32:59 pm by mushRTID »
The fundamentals were there too!

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #98 on July 25, 2023, 10:41:44 pm by Scooter »
My lad said that was the best we have played since the playoffs in 2019. Bold claim

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on July 25, 2023, 10:51:35 pm by Campsall rover »
Very pleased with what I saw tonight.
Work rate was fantastic.
Ironside will be more than a handful for League 2 centre backs this season.
He is another Marquis, in fact even better than him holding the ball up.
So strong isn’t he.
Will he get 20 goals though. Probably not so we need, Moly, Hurst, Taylor, Roberts and the midfielders all chipping in with goals this season. Wood and Olowu also.

We looked like a proper football team tonight. We fought for every 50/50 ball as if our lives depended on it.
Haven’t seen that for 3 seasons.
The midfielders, Bailey, Broadbent & Rowe were so much better than the last 2 games. All got through a huge amount of work.
Not sure whether Broadbent gets in ahead of Biggins. We will have to see on that one.
Very impressed with the 2 full backs Nixon and particularly Senior who had a great game. Looks as though Maxwell got his work cut out to be 1st choice based on that from Senior tonight.
Sterry and Nixon will also be battling for the right back birth.
Been very impressed with Sterry but he has stiff competition now for his place.
Don’t know where that leaves Seaman as he is way behind both these two imo.

All in all very very encouraging and i now feel very enthused for our prospects this season.
It looks as though the pieces of the jigsaw are coming together.  :thumbsup:

Thorney

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on July 25, 2023, 11:06:14 pm by Thorney »
Who was it who threw there body infront of what looked a certain powerful shot on target early in the 2nd half on the left side of the box?.
That got me up out of my seat as quick as the goal. That was body on the line and that's a pre-season friendly.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on July 25, 2023, 11:08:41 pm by Alan Southstand »
Bailey.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on July 25, 2023, 11:09:38 pm by Chris Black come back »
What a shitshow the last 3 years have been. This is such a contrast.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #103 on July 25, 2023, 11:15:44 pm by dknward2 »
Even with no commentary I enjoyed watching that on the owls YouTube.

Lots of positive play from all. Play like that against league 2 teams and we should be in the playoffs easily

Thorney

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on July 25, 2023, 11:18:07 pm by Thorney »

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on July 25, 2023, 11:41:48 pm by andyst79 »
What a shitshow the last 3 years have been. This is such a contrast.
Still very much a work in progress but nice to see a bit of urgency and purpose about our play especially in the 1st 30/40 mins

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #106 on July 25, 2023, 11:45:10 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
If Taylor remains as fit as he looked tonight, it'll be like a new top quality signing. How much have we missed him this past 30 months?

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #107 on July 26, 2023, 05:17:36 am by Spud »
Bailey.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure it was Jack Senior tbh, if we're thinking of the same block. I kept my eye on him for the great block, he picked himself up & went back to his left back position.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on July 26, 2023, 05:36:46 am by Padge_DRFC »
Who was taking our set pieces towards the end of the game? Looked to me like they have a technique of bending and dipping it suddenly. One nearly got a goal when it landed to Oluwu at the back post. Some real conviction rather than just lofting it in.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on July 26, 2023, 07:31:04 am by Campsall rover »
Bailey.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure it was Jack Senior tbh, if we're thinking of the same block. I kept my eye on him for the great block, he picked himself up & went back to his left back position.
I thought it was Senior

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on July 26, 2023, 08:26:57 am by Alan Southstand »
There were a few during the game. Certainly, Senior blocked a couple of goal bound efforts. The one I’m thinking of, it was Bailey.

On Senior - he simply doesn’t let anyone get past him, does he? A real terrier of a a full back and well done to Nixon, also, on the other side. To say that was a baptism of fire may be over stating it, but he slotted in like he’d been here last season!

The question now is who will GM go with on Saturday (injuries and knocks may determine that).

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on July 26, 2023, 08:39:58 am by colincramb »
Crikey, we’re an up and down lot. Doom and gloom because we lost at York and drew at Scunthorpe. Now we’ve got a win against a disjointed owls team everything is great again.

Hope the ones getting carried away with the defeat/draw now can accept that they are friendlies and have no bearing whatsoever on competitive league football - as does tonight’s win.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #112 on July 26, 2023, 08:43:13 am by drfcsteve »
I don’t think it’s about win/lose, more that the performance was much much improved (despite Wednesday not really looking like much)

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #113 on July 26, 2023, 09:19:17 am by Nudga »
The pressing in the first half was impressive, this side isn't going to fold like last season. The options on the bench are frightening.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on July 26, 2023, 09:26:09 am by keith79 »
Just a friendly peeps. But the signs are good.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #115 on July 26, 2023, 09:50:33 am by pib »
I try not to read much into pre-season, so won't get too up or down either way. However, it is good to hear comments saying we looked like a proper team again. After the last couple of seasons, the first step on a long road back is our team actually looking organised and competitive, and like it has some kind of plan. Hopefully we can carry that into the Port Vale game and the start of the season.

Also good to see on the highlights Roberts beating a man, clipping over a cross, and us having players converging in the box to get on the end of it. I know the jury is out on Molyneux but hopefully that is a glimpse that GM has identified the need to get him into more threatening areas than we did at any point last season. I think he could prove a useful player yet if we're able to get the best out of him.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #116 on July 26, 2023, 11:12:29 am by jmt23 »
Molyneux will be much better this season, for one he is fit - we bought him injured I believe! so he's had a proper preseason, and time to adjust to his new surroundings. I think he was rushed back, and due to this kept breaking down.

What I saw at the end of last season and in this pre season, is someone who works incredibly hard for the team getting back and hustling, then breaking forward - he will need to show more going forward this season as that is his main job, average Joe will not cut the mustard with Grant.

I also think the competition for places is so fierce it will push them all.

It is hard not to get slightly carried away with it, but we did well against a Rotherham side in preseason last year too...

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on July 26, 2023, 11:20:35 am by steve@dcfd »
It was a good team performance last night I liked both fullbacks and Olowu and Wood had good games. Bailey played the pivot midfielder and he also could head balls away when swfc put in the air. Broadbent and Rowe had good games and took some hefty challenges. Taylor looked fit again but I like to see him on the right. Molyneux again looked fit and had a good game my only grumble is by playing a right footed player on the left and a left footed player right crosses from the by line line are limited. Ironside took some stick and holding from their big CHs but gave as good as he got. Roberts showed pace and skills when he came on and we got a cross from the left by line for Molyneux to score.
The referee was so bias for the bigger club it was diabolical and allowed some heavy challenges to go bye when committed by swfc players.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on July 26, 2023, 11:55:40 am by danumdon »
It was a good team performance last night I liked both fullbacks and Olowu and Wood had good games. Bailey played the pivot midfielder and he also could head balls away when swfc put in the air. Broadbent and Rowe had good games and took some hefty challenges. Taylor looked fit again but I like to see him on the right. Molyneux again looked fit and had a good game my only grumble is by playing a right footed player on the left and a left footed player right crosses from the by line line are limited. Ironside took some stick and holding from their big CHs but gave as good as he got. Roberts showed pace and skills when he came on and we got a cross from the left by line for Molyneux to score.
The referee was so bias for the bigger club it was diabolical and allowed some heavy challenges to go bye when committed by swfc players.

Spot on summary Steve,

I liked the fact that the team carried the performance right through to the end, we made just the one sub in Roberts for Taylor, both of them gave a very good performance, great to see Taylor back and fit, Roberts looks a very promising acquisition.

The whole air about the team was light years away from what we've had to endure the last couple of years, the determination to work hard and make the other team really stretch was good, the McCann influence is already there and can only improve with game time and familiarity.

First look I've had of the new squad so i can't comment on the previous games at York and Scunny but this was a performance of the like we never saw at all last season, everyone played their role and worked, very hard.

The fact that we are now playing a formation that suits our players helps massively and we have competition for all positions to drive performances on, the defence looked neat and solid with massive work ethic from both full backs, Nixon seemed to slot in seamlessly and will be major competition for Sterry, Senior looks very solid and managed to get up the field and contributed greatly to our go forward.

The midfield worked hard and covered the defence well demonstrating what we lacked all last year, TR playing the more advanced position was good to see, he looked fit and strong, should of scored with his shot in the first half but his all round contribution was good.Bailey kept it simple, had the legs and energy to help in defence and get up the park and went about his work very effectively, Broadbent to me looks like a player who you would not notice too much in a game but he worked hard to get up and down as well as provide holding cover, not as dynamic as Biggins when he's at his best but looks like he will improve in our system and grow along with the whole team. GM now has a great many options for the midfield and depending who we play we should look far superior in there to what we have looked for a long time. We now have determination and strength to go with the passing ability the creativity should materialise in time.

Up front Ironside worked his socks off, had a couple of chances to get shots off but his overall positioning and hold up play will help us greatly as the season kicks off, he stood up to the challenges of a very physical centre half and was a focal point that could work rather than loose every confrontation, with the options we now have in wide players to assist he should prove a major link in our forward play.

Overall i was impressed with the work ethic of the side, the performance was good and the pre season conditioning looked very good, the players looked strong at the end of the match, i don't know where Wednesday are in their pre season build up but we made them look very pedestrian, lacking in creativity and more than matched them in physicality, Strong signs of the plan coming together.

First time in a long time i can't wait to go to the next match.

KingKendrick

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on July 26, 2023, 12:19:28 pm by KingKendrick »

I think with the full backs he’s brought in the idea is for the overlap for byline crosses and the wingers coming inside being more direct on goal and getting shots off

TinyPortal © 2005-2012