Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 08:44:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Walkout Song  (Read 3600 times)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: Walkout Song
« Reply #30 on August 04, 2023, 07:35:35 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
This thread just shows how difficult it is to agree on anything when it comes to personal taste and choice. Easy to criticise the club but more difficult to come to a collective conclusion.

Probs would be better if the list was narrowed down to 3 or 4 then each one tried before having a final vote, making it clear what we're voting for  I.e. A club anthem that will be played every week, or a general piece of uplifting music (which could be varied)

Then on a scale of 1 to 5.
1. Sufficiently uplifting
2. Relevance to Rovers/football
3. Willingness of fans to join in.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on August 04, 2023, 08:10:21 am by Bentley Bullet »
If we're insistent on starting a new traditional entrance song the one that beats every other hands down is Amarillo. It has a local connection and a chorus that can be adapted lyrically like this.....

Na na na, na na, na na na ROVERS
Na na na, na na, na na na ROVERS etc

jamesrover17

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on August 04, 2023, 08:18:51 am by jamesrover17 »
Wild Rover was not the Dubliners version, the one we used for the last few years was by Dropkick Murphys. an amended version that had a longer chorus built in.

Dropkick Murphys version, in this setting, is miles better.

WheatleyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on August 05, 2023, 03:33:55 pm by WheatleyRover »
Bring back Wild Rover.

WheatleyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on August 05, 2023, 03:36:46 pm by WheatleyRover »
The problem with this club is it's terrible at tradition and branding, Wild Rover started to become a thing then the club changed it.
Also get rid of Donny Dog and have a Viking Mascot, people love Viking stuff and we need to promote it more.

Daniel_Smith

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on August 05, 2023, 04:32:54 pm by Daniel_Smith »
What got picked for start of game in end. Missed kick off trying to get in with ticketing issue

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on August 05, 2023, 05:33:35 pm by silent majority »
What got picked for start of game in end. Missed kick off trying to get in with ticketing issue

They played Wild Rover but completely the wrong version. There’s a reason we settled on the Dropkick Murphys one as it has much more verve!

Daniel_Smith

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on August 05, 2023, 05:46:39 pm by Daniel_Smith »

They played Wild Rover but completely the wrong version. There’s a reason we settled on the Dropkick Murphys one as it has much more verve!

Agreed! Hopefully they've got the old version lying around somewhere. Was edited perfectly in my opinion as think it looped the chorus. I know they lost their old music guy who I'm guessing was responsible for creating it.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on August 05, 2023, 05:48:42 pm by NickDRFC »

They played 3 songs - Right Here, Right Now as the players came out, then O Fortuna and finally Wild Rover.

Thorney

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on August 05, 2023, 06:04:39 pm by Thorney »
The problem with this club is it's terrible at tradition and branding, Wild Rover started to become a thing then the club changed it.
Also get rid of Donny Dog and have a Viking Mascot, people love Viking stuff and we need to promote it more.

Why get rid of donny dog?
My youngest loves donny dog and has the donny dog Teddy. Don't think a viking would have the same affect with the young kids as the dog does.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on August 05, 2023, 06:15:26 pm by pib »
Thought it was the Dropkick Murphys version today? Maybe it’s my hearing (or the PA system)

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on August 05, 2023, 06:28:00 pm by Cramby10 »
It definitely was the Dropkick Murphys today. Interesting to hear Motörhead or some track with Lenny on vocal at half time. It must be a metal head on DJ duties.

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on August 05, 2023, 06:44:24 pm by DRFC_AjA »
Am I in the minority if I say its better without any ?  :laugh:  Whatever they played today was dreadful and drowned out the fans who tbf were on form at the start. Also don't need someone screaming what the half time score is down the tannoy. I know what it is mate,  I'm there  :headbang:  the sanitisation / americanisation of the game these days is ridiculous

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on August 05, 2023, 07:01:06 pm by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
Likewise; from these

1. Choose which song Doncaster Rovers will walk out to at the first home game of the season

Red Smoke - The Reytons

Wild Rover - Dubliners

Right Here, Right Now - Fatboy Slim

Ruby - Kaiser Chiefs

Seven Nation Army - White Stripes

Thunderstruck - AC/DC

Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond

Simply The Best - Tina Turner

Played A Live - Safri Duo

Club Foot - Kasabian

The Game - Motorhead

Im edging towards Red Smoke - anyone got any red flares  :silly:

Massive Kasabian fan - but loved hearing The Game.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on August 05, 2023, 07:03:38 pm by jmt23 »
It should be the the original Wild Rover - the original thought was to get some form of anthem prior to kickoff, like other clubs have.

We then make the ridiculous decision to make it a double speed version nobody can sing along too. I’m sure the intentions were good, but missed the  goal worse than John Taylor.

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on August 05, 2023, 07:24:14 pm by knockers »
It definitely was the Dropkick Murphys today. Interesting to hear Motörhead or some track with Lenny on vocal at half time. It must be a metal head on DJ duties.

Lemmy

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on August 05, 2023, 08:38:35 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
There's absolutely no reason to need music when the natural crowd noise for the reception of the players is as good as today. Likewise, when fans then start to sing (whatever they choose) there's no reason to interfere with that so in a way, it was good that the music could hardly be heard.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on August 05, 2023, 08:40:30 pm by drfchound »
There's absolutely no reason to need music when the natural crowd noise for the reception of the players is as good as today. Likewise, when fans then start to sing (whatever they choose) there's no reason to interfere with that so in a way, it was good that the music could hardly be heard.

After about 20 minutes of the game one of our group asked what the walkout song had been and none of us knew.
We hadn’t heard it on the PA above the noise from the crowd.

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on August 05, 2023, 08:56:49 pm by Cramby10 »

Lemmy
what the hell? Must’ve been auto correct or sumat. Didn’t realise. I know my Lemmy from my Lenny. Love anything with loud guitars.

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on August 05, 2023, 08:59:12 pm by DRFC_AjA »

After about 20 minutes of the game one of our group asked what the walkout song had been and none of us knew.

That's the thing though I was in the East near the away fans and I swear my ears are still hurting from the Tannoy. There's just no need for that volume and naff music, it's beyond a joke. Just let the fans sing and let the rest of the ground hear it and join in

Lewis Mottram

« Reply #51 on August 05, 2023, 09:01:15 pm by Lewis Mottram »
Red smoke by the reytons is a banger tbf. Local lads too. Can’t please all the oldies though aye.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on August 05, 2023, 09:22:02 pm by Chris Black come back »
New scoreboard is decent. Small but very bright.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on August 05, 2023, 09:26:57 pm by drfchound »
Yep and good that it is going to continue into added on time so everyone can see how much of it is left.

Daniel_Smith

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on August 05, 2023, 09:41:16 pm by Daniel_Smith »

That's the thing though I was in the East near the away fans and I swear my ears are still hurting from the Tannoy. There's just no need for that volume and naff music, it's beyond a joke. Just let the fans sing and let the rest of the ground hear it and join in

Main issue highlighted right there. The tannoy system needs replacing as it is too loud in some parts of stadium, and then in other parts you can't hear a thing.

I'd say until they get it sorted they should just have background music on at half time and get rid of pre-match music and announcements entirely.

POD

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on August 06, 2023, 10:32:45 am by POD »
New scoreboard is decent. Small but very bright.

Yes the scoreboard was mostly clear and bright, but at regular intervals during the match we saw on the screen ‘Important Safety Announcement’

I have very good eyesight and so does my son, but from our position in the South Side of the East Stand we couldn’t read a word of what was written underneath.

I would guess that people further to the right of me and those away fans in the North Stand couldn’t read it either.

If it is ‘important’ and maybe even a legal requirement, someone at the club needs to find a way of making the writing bigger by perhaps shortening the message or making it fit two or three revolving pages.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on August 06, 2023, 10:41:09 am by Donnywolf »
I thought the song when we (the fans) walked out at the end of the Game "Don't look back in anger" was an inspired choice

Made me smile
« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 10:54:00 am by Donnywolf »

Daniel_Smith

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on August 08, 2023, 09:36:39 pm by Daniel_Smith »
I thought the song when we (the fans) walked out at the end of the Game "Don't look back in anger" was an inspired choice

Made me smile

They've done it a few times over years.

Remember them playing Manics "If you tolerate this" after a few bad results under McSheffrey.

Also The Feeling - "I thought it was over "after a long League Trophy game that ended up going to penalties

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on August 08, 2023, 11:00:44 pm by RobTheRover »
The Manics were ahead of their time and quite correct......

Ryaldinhio

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on August 08, 2023, 11:23:21 pm by Ryaldinhio »

Why get rid of donny dog?
My youngest loves donny dog and has the donny dog Teddy. Don't think a viking would have the same affect with the young kids as the dog does.

100% agree my kids love donny dog and the kids are what we as a club need to look to

TinyPortal © 2005-2012