Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 11:24:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Well what do we think ?  (Read 14123 times)

Daniel_Smith

• Forum Member
Re: Well what do we think ?
« Reply #30 on August 05, 2023, 05:52:17 pm by Daniel_Smith »
McCann said to Radio Sheffield we were very poor first half. Way off it in every aspect. Second half more fight but still not good enough. Thought the chance Taylor missed should have been a penalty in that move. McCann said Olowu clearly got the ball. Not a penalty for him at all.

Appreciate McCann's honesty. Last two managers we had would have just shrugged their shoulders and said we did ok. Hated how vacuous McSheffrey and Schofield were in post match interviews.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on August 05, 2023, 05:56:37 pm by Chris Black come back »
One thing you can probably expect that after a disappointment like today, McCann will do something about it. You saw how much better we were in second half after he got into them at half time. It’s annoying we’ve got quite a difficult cup game next as we can’t tell much from that. Next Saturday looks another challenge.

The Dav

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on August 05, 2023, 05:57:14 pm by The Dav »
Need a striker ! As said Ironside was disappointing as was George, some promising debuts though.

Arsenal Of The North

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on August 05, 2023, 05:57:34 pm by Arsenal Of The North »
We seemed to have an entire acre free in midfield, Bailey huffed and puffed but Rowe and Broadbent largely missing.

Ironside struggled to hold anything and even when he did Molyneux and Taylor were far too wide. The latter two can not start a game together. Both of them missed great chances in either half too.

We need someone who can carry a ball at pace, Deji and Tyler did that more effectively when they came on and we looked a touch more dangerous.

Woods is a great communicator, but at times was caught flat footed.

Some good some bad and some ugly, unfortunately GMC got the team selection wrong for me today. Easy to say that after a defeat.

It’s one game though, at least we didn’t ship 5 in!

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on August 05, 2023, 05:57:49 pm by Canadian Rover »
It was awful, yet again.

This is the first game of the season, new players, new management and a much better effort than we gave last season. This team will come good. Credit to the opposition who are a very well organized well coached team full of effort.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on August 05, 2023, 06:01:40 pm by glosterred »
Better football, didn’t create much until they scored and then it was all us. Robbed of a point by a poor penalty decision.

COYR

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on August 05, 2023, 06:02:50 pm by dknward2 »
I have more trust in McCann to get this sorted asap than others before him. Please remember that the subs came on against a tired defensive so will have more chance to look dangerous

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on August 05, 2023, 06:03:10 pm by jmt23 »
Close was missed today - not even on the bench, he is the only bit of calmness and quality on the ball we have - he does lack in other areas admittedly.

The forwards were poor today, I find it hard to have a go at Miller when the ball is lumped up at him, because that is not his game, and never will be. Ironside on the other hand looked to struggle, I cant help thinking we played into their hands with this style, even Woods struggled to win anything against them.

Redroy

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on August 05, 2023, 06:06:47 pm by Redroy »
Outfought in midfield, all of whom were very poor. Felt sorry for Ironside up top. Yes he gave the ball away a few times but had absolutely f**k all service.

Lot more work to do

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on August 05, 2023, 06:09:57 pm by pib »
We were really lacking creativity, and it didn’t help that Ironside was miles off it so there was virtually no link up between him and the wide players at all.

Is Ben Close injured? Felt like he could’ve made a difference. Unfortunately we were all action and physicality in midfield but no real quality in terms of dictating the game.

I’m sure we will improve. A few good signs but ultimately a wake-up call in the end.

Theirs looked a pen to me (although would have to watch it again) but thought we had a decent shout for one on Roberts too. And how did Taylor not score?!

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on August 05, 2023, 06:11:11 pm by Chris Black come back »
Lots to celebrate today though - Wrexham, Wycombe and QPR got hammered. Three clubs it is always a pleasure to see humiliated.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on August 05, 2023, 06:12:15 pm by dickos1 »
Outfought in midfield, all of whom were very poor. Felt sorry for Ironside up top. Yes he gave the ball away a few times but had absolutely f**k all service.

Lot more work to do

He had plenty of balls played upto him but he let the defender get in front of him each time.
He’ll come good but today he was poor.

He said he was shite himself to cliff when he came off

Fal

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on August 05, 2023, 06:12:33 pm by Fal »
My first game in 4 years...

Thought Harrogate did a job on us, closing us down all the time and didnt allow us to play at all.

Thought we deserved a point at the very most but the first half let us down, much improved second half but will need to see the penalty again to see if it was or wasnt one.

Only thing that ruined my experience was some old Mr Burns lookalike sat behind me yanking me back when i stood up thinking taylor was about to smash it into the back of the net, a few words back and forth and then he proceeded to threaten me at the end of the game. In the family stand too.

Thorney

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on August 05, 2023, 06:14:43 pm by Thorney »
If we've come down to blaming the ref  in a game against Harrogate Town, then we are really hitting the lowest of the low.
End of the day, Harrogate came with a plan and executed it perfectly, we didn't achieve anything and got what we deserved which was f**k all.

A massive kick up the arse for everyone, including the fans that think we will walk this league, we won't. Look at the results around the league, there is no whipping boys anymore.

Well done Harrogate. Those small amount of fans deserve that result and travel back up the A1 with a massive smile on their faces with a big f**k you to the donny fans who assumed they would roll over and have their belly tickled.

monkeytennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on August 05, 2023, 06:16:12 pm by monkeytennis »
Disappointed in today given the strength shown in pre season (yes that’s a different situation I know).

We seemed to lose every header, Miss-hit every pass and shoot just off target.

It’s like they were either panicking on the ball and trying to get rid too quickly, but then contrasted with taking way too much time and allowing Harrogate to press at will.

I’m disappointed but not too worried. I believe in GM to turn in around.

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on August 05, 2023, 06:19:18 pm by Cramby10 »
First sight of all the new players today. Can only comment on what was on show and not a knee jerk reaction to ability.
Lawlor excellent. I was one of the few that didn’t mind him from before.
Sterry, Olowu and Bailey were also very good. Senior steady, wood possibly vulnerable to pace but great to have him bringing the best out of Joe.
Then the problems started.
I thought we looked outnumbered in midfield once again. I’ve no idea what the answer is however. Broadbent and Rowe weren’t terrible, but not very effective. We gave the ball away far far too often. And the movement all round the team wasn’t ideal.
It got worse the further forward in the team we get. Ironside was just miles off it. I assume the game plan is to hit him to hold up for others to join in? But it was bouncing off him left right and centre today. I’ve heard good things about him, so we’ll put it down to a bad day.
Then to Molyneux and Taylor. I just don’t think they’re very good. Simple as. Both missed sitters and contributed little.Taylor has no end product and LM has no strength and pace or end product. It was mentioned by GM that we need to get crosses into JI. If that’s the case, they were on the wrong sides for me. Their crossing with their wrong feet is not good. I understand why they were where they were as it can be an effective weapon when the right players implement it. Just not these two. Sotona demonstrated how to do it perfectly when he came on. It was like night and day when him and Roberts entered the fray.
All in all, not a disaster. Theres plenty to work with, especially when you consider the players that didn’t even make the squad today. But improvement is needed.
It’s a shame, as we always seem to make a balls up when we get a good crowd in. Awesome to see it so full for a change and pick up on the collective renewed vigour we all have. Onwards and upwards.

redwine

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on August 05, 2023, 06:24:54 pm by redwine »
Ironside seemed to be running through treacle for me.

How many times did we try to pass the ball through an opposition player.

Early days though.

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on August 05, 2023, 06:31:34 pm by Butchers Red »
Slow start - too anxious against a well drilled outfit - much better second half and only good fortune prevented them leaking 3 or 4. We'll be alright from what I've seen though - Lawlor top drawer today. Penalty decisions always end up about even over the course and to be fair it looked harsh - none of the Harrogate players or the linesmen reacted at all.

donnybez

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on August 05, 2023, 06:35:58 pm by donnybez »
Strangers trying to gel fast against a side that plays for one another and works hard + questionable referee

SoundbiteBarmyArmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on August 05, 2023, 06:37:05 pm by SoundbiteBarmyArmy »
Proper average - like McCann has been manager for 5 seasons and it was just another game.

Bailey and Broadbent aren't League Two standard, based on that. Ironside was bang average. Don't understand the Richard Wood hype.

Jon Taylor is absolutely robbing a wage off us.

Sotona is outstanding in this team and could be very special - needs to start next game. Roberts very good, too.

GK MOTM says it all, really.

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on August 05, 2023, 06:39:35 pm by StocksArmy »
Olowu is a liability. Has all the attributes needed for a top level centre half but time and time again he drops an absolute clanger. It was absolutely a penalty and a challenge completely unnecessary. Ironside..... not sure if hes too isolated or abysmal.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on August 05, 2023, 06:45:26 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
We’ve got to do much better and we will. Didn’t move the ball quickly enough. Lack of understanding that needs building. Need more movement around the striker. Too predictable and lost to a side that came to be solid and try and nick a win, and did. He has a lot of options, not sure he knows the right combinations yet.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on August 05, 2023, 06:45:42 pm by Lesonthewest »
Poor first half, better 2nd half but were beaten by the better, more organised team. Improvement on last season as we probably would have conceded at least 2 in the first half alone. Midfield looked poor & too inexperienced, Harrogate far better. I really hope Ironside had an off day, played like he hadn't had a pre season. Sotona & Roberts need to start. Still work in progress &  much more to come from this team. Really do think we need a striker & more experience in midfield though.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on August 05, 2023, 06:47:35 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
We miss an experienced midfield playmaker.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on August 05, 2023, 06:47:41 pm by Padge_DRFC »
In Bailey I feel like we've brought back Harry Middleton. Rowe and Broadbent just didn't get in the game. A lot of nervous performances I thought when on the ball. Early days for sure but at least we aren't stuck with Schofield. Deji looks a player!

Harrogate certainly passed the ball around better than we did without being spectacular

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on August 05, 2023, 06:50:50 pm by ncRover »
Back to doom and gloom then.

Wrexham, Notts, Bradford and Stockport all beaten today too.

Pliskin

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on August 05, 2023, 06:52:32 pm by Pliskin »
If Schofield was still the manager then the pitchforks would've been out after watching that. It was pretty poor. Lawlor got MotM which tells it's own story.

A load of new players have come in, but somehow we're still having the same problems as we had last season; struggling to control the midfield, isolated lone striker and inability to create enough chances. Did their goalkeeper even need to do anything?

The positives are that we have a good manager and there are plenty of games left for him to improve things.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on August 05, 2023, 06:55:00 pm by Chris Black come back »
I think what we saw today was what some people had been saying in the summer - Rowe, Biggins, Broadbent and Bailey don’t have enough guile, and in Ironside and Miller we have players with each a limited skill set, albeit different. It will get better but we need to find ways of addressing the above. Close and Westbrooke should hopefully give us more options in midfield and they all need to find a way of playing to the strengths of Ironside and Miller. Don’t play the ball to Miller in the air or if he is not facing goal, otherwise we may as well just surrender possession.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on August 05, 2023, 06:55:38 pm by scawsby steve »
Ironside and Rowe both terrible. Jon Taylor couldn't find the net if there were no opponents on the field. Midfield poor.

Sotona and Roberts have to start every game for me. They're in a different class to the rest of them.

As for Lawlor, the many people on here who criticised his signing should give themselves a good verbal f*cking.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on August 05, 2023, 06:58:56 pm by Chris Black come back »
Lawlor looked much improved today but one game does not a season or career make.

Sotana and Roberts both looked very good but they came on in the latter stages of the game, against a tired defence and when we were generally attacking. They may well not look as effective from the start or indeed against sides with a lot better defence than Harrogate Town. Both are very talented and offer us something special but 30 minute cameos again does not a season make.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012