Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 12:13:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Mansfield Town game  (Read 3118 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Mansfield Town game
« on August 12, 2023, 07:23:01 pm by selby »
  Well I pointed out our inconsistency in the games I watched in pre season varying from very good to down right awful and it seems as though things are the same this week after a great display at Hull and a waste of a long day out for out for our supporters to South Wales.
   In the mean time Mansfield have backed up what a lot think and have started off on the front foot standing fourth in the league being unbeaten drawing and winning their first two  games in the league and come to us Tuesday in good fettle on the back of a 3-0 win v Morecambe with Akins scoring a brace netting a goal at the end of both halfs.
  No doubt the best lower league manager Mr Clough will have had us watched on the good day at Hull and the poor games v Harrogate and Newport and will set up his side accordingly.
  So what can we do to offset it? No1 I hope it is our turn to have a good game up our sleeves, you know the old win one lose one, but I think it will take more than that, and we need changes in attitude, commitment in our play and ambition to win.
  Faulkner should come into contention having had a good preseason, his age seeming to be the main thing counting against him, I don't see Sotona over Taylor, especially when not on the ball defensively, and we will need players who can stand up to a physical battle, Mansfield never have been a team of shrinking violets.
  Against Morecambe Mansfield had 27 shots at goal, did we have that many last season? and in players like the giant Flint have experience of being in winning sides during their careers, while we have largely young players coming into the game, a vast difference mentally, and a big improvement needs to be forthcoming quickly.
  They employed a 4-1-2-1-2 line up with Reed sitting in front of the back four so will be difficult to break down and the height of our new loanee could come in useful.
  So what do you think?
  Has todays result dampened your enthusiasm gained Tuesday?
  Would you make changes?
  Can we get off the mark with one or three points?
  Lots to discuss about this game and what you would do to star our season off, please have your say Mansfield opinions if you read this welcome.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 08:10:52 pm by selby »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Mansfield Town game
« Reply #1 on August 12, 2023, 08:04:03 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Faulkner should start.
Senior at left back.
Midfield 3 of Biggins, Rowe and Bailey. Hopefully Close or Westbrooke are nearly back.
Tyler Roberts is our best winger currently.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 13, 2023, 04:32:34 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
I would go with a 3-1-4-2 formation against Mansfield. Mansfield play a 4-4-2 away from home. I think this formation would have a good chance of beating them, if enough of our lads play the game they are capable of.

Lawlor

Anderson. Wood. Olowu

Bailey

Biggins.       Rowe

Taylor(if not fit Roberts)             Maxwell

Miller.        Ironside

Subs. Faal, Molyneux, Sotona, Roberts, Broadbent, Senior, Bottomley

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 13, 2023, 04:50:54 pm by Branton Rover »
It won’t be a back 3 it’ll be hopefully;

Nixon.        Olowu          Wood.            Senior

Bailey            Biggins              Rowe

Molyneux            Ironside                        Sotona/Taylor   

Reg of the Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 13, 2023, 05:34:27 pm by Reg of the Rovers »
We need a big reaction. 0 goals in two league games is an issue, so as SCWK suggests I'd go Miller and Ironside to start. Jon Taylor wouldn't get near the team, as we need threat and end product, so Sotona / Roberts miles ahead for me. Still looking forward to this, can't beat a night match and hopefully get at them and get our season up and running with a good performance and result.

monkeytennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 13, 2023, 05:37:32 pm by monkeytennis »
Absolutely everything crossed for an upturn in performance. Rationally I know it’s early days but I was so hopeful that we’d be off the blocks quickly having got GM back, added what look like some talented players and also from what I’ve seen in pre season. It’s been an underwhelming and disappointing start - I feel like we’ve been saying Rovers aren’t as fit and physical as opponents for ages now so it would be great to see a change in that.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 13, 2023, 05:42:26 pm by adamtherover »
Worryingly, the first two games on paper were the easier fixtures of our first 6 or 7 games...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 07:43:35 pm by adamtherover »

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 13, 2023, 06:23:04 pm by ncRover »
Worryingly, the first two games on paper were the easier fixtures of our first 7 or 7 games...

Yet we beat a mid table championship team less than a week ago so maybe the “tougher” games on paper will suit us.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 13, 2023, 06:40:04 pm by scawsby steve »
Worryingly, the first two games on paper were the easier fixtures of our first 7 or 7 games...

Yet we beat a mid table championship team less than a week ago so maybe the “tougher” games on paper will suit us.

Yes, NC, but Hull allowed us to play football, and there lies the issue. We still don't seem able to cope with in your face League 2 football.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 13, 2023, 06:54:30 pm by Rovers91 »
                          Lawlor
Nixon      Olowu       Wood       Senior

Bailey

Biggins        Rowe 

Molyneux                                   Roberts

Ironside

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 13, 2023, 07:06:36 pm by scawsby steve »
                          Lawlor
Nixon      Olowu       Wood       Senior

Bailey

Biggins        Rowe 

Molyneux                                   Roberts

Ironside

Yes, I'd go with that, but very quickly bring on Faal or Miller if it's not working up front.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 13, 2023, 08:00:43 pm by ncRover »
Could go

Lawlor

Olowu
Wood
Senior

Nixon
Broadbent
Bailey
Biggins
Roberts

Faal
Ironside

They play a diamond so wouldn’t get outnumbered with just the 2 wide players there. 2 strong lads up top to compete with their 2 big CBs.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 13, 2023, 08:50:51 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Just keep it simple. Keep at 4 3 3. It needs to be kept at and not tinkered with after 2 games. Just ensure Nixon plays RB and Bailey at CM.

So far none of the midfield can argue a place they've all been poor. Where is Close? He can at least keep hold of a ball for more than 3 seconds.

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 13, 2023, 09:00:13 pm by karldew »
From HCfootball01 on Twitter;

“After the first two game weeks I’ll post the top 11 performers by rating in L2 according to FotMob.

1. Davis Keillor-Dunn (9.02)
2. Udoka Godwin-Malife (8.25)
3. Louis Reed (8.24)
4. Brad Hills (8.15)
5. Shadrach Ogie (8.13)
6. Niall Canavan (8.13)
7. MJ Williams (8.12)
8. Jake Eastwood (8.04)
9. Lucas Akins (8.03)
10. Rio Adebisi (8.01)
11. Harry Charsley (7.96)”

3 of those play for Mansfield! Going to be a very tough game.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 14, 2023, 05:24:47 pm by andyst79 »
Concerned about this 1, Don't think we've got the physicality to cope with them in midfield and they turn us over. Hope I'm wrong.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on August 14, 2023, 05:46:27 pm by ravenrover »
Just spoke to my Stags mate says they've sold about 1850 for tomorrow

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on August 14, 2023, 06:07:38 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Just had the misfortune of catching up on the lowlights from Newport where from the very first goal, we were just not switched on and Newport didn't have to break sweat to meander through our entire team with no one showing any sort of resistance. Then carried on ambling around without hardly laying a glove on anyone, content to mark space and allow their players to go where they wanted.

Who's leading on the pitch? Who's setting the standards on the pitch? Our so called senior players had a day off it seems.

This cannot happen in any game period, nevermind Mansfield, who on that showing, will rip us to shreds.

To get physical with teams, we have to get close to them and rush them into errors, even if it means giving the odd free kick away. 

They need to show us they want to play for the shirt and haven't come here for an easy ride.

Take the pool and table tennis tables out at Cantley Park, and return them once they've earned the right to have some fun downtime.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 14, 2023, 09:55:55 pm by Chris Black come back »
Last 10 away league games for Mansfield Town across this season and last:

Won 6
Drawn 3
Lost 1 (14 March away at Northampton Town, 1-0)

Pliskin

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 14, 2023, 10:04:23 pm by Pliskin »
Nigel Clough's teams always seem to do well against us. Genuinely can't remember the last time we beat one of his teams - probably have to go back to when he was managing Derby.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on August 15, 2023, 10:02:04 am by selby »
  We have the players in the squad to more than compete with the teams in this league season, it is about getting the right mix of players that can perform the managers tactics and play as a unit and get some consistency into their game.
   It is no good performing one in three games which is about what they have done from the start of preseason, and mainly the team deemed to be our strongest line up, not the players deemed to be in the supporting roles who generally performed better as a cohesive unit.
  Even at this early stage it is becoming obvious that some need to find other clubs on loan or even permanently.

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 15, 2023, 10:18:15 am by Avsuptem »
Yes, the squad is far stronger now than last season and we have a top class manager, it is inconceivable that we should not be competitive this season. But if we lose at home again against Mansfield without scoring a goal we will be in a dark place with a steep hill if not a mountain to climb and judging from the comments on here it is quite likely. Maybe it is the depth in the squad that is causing the difficulty, he does not know his best team yet, a team whereby the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. It's a psychological thing, we should be developing a winning mentality bit we are in danger of developing the opposite.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 15, 2023, 10:48:38 am by Chris Black come back »
Yes, the squad is far stronger now than last season and we have a top class manager, it is inconceivable that we should not be competitive this season. But if we lose at home again against Mansfield without scoring a goal we will be in a dark place with a steep hill if not a mountain to climb and judging from the comments on here it is quite likely. Maybe it is the depth in the squad that is causing the difficulty, he does not know his best team yet, a team whereby the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. It's a psychological thing, we should be developing a winning mentality bit we are in danger of developing the opposite.

If that did happen (IF) then it would probably be a worse start than 2021/22 under Wellens when our opening 3 games were 2 away and 1 at home, losing them all but scoring 1 goal (Charlie Seaman in opening day defeat against AFC Wimbledon).

Under Wellens that season we scored 1 goal in our opening 5 league games.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 15, 2023, 11:32:13 am by Jonathan »
We panicked with Wellens and sacked him rather than giving him the chance to use his experience to fix it. He probably didn’t help himself with his abrasive traits.

To an extent we did the same with McSheffrey who had built up some credit at the start of the season but when it turned he didn’t have the experience to give us reason to back him.

Schofield just didn’t work and there was little or no basis on which to give him further time.

All that changes with McCann who has experience and track record, and who we are very lucky to have in league 2. If tonight does give further reason for worry amongst some then that absolutely must not come out in any panic over the position of the manager. We have to trust McCann to get it right no matter how long that takes. Our league start has been disappointing for everyone but this is where we all have to show some resilience - on the pitch, on the touchline, in the stands and dare I even say (given its influence) on the internet.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 15, 2023, 11:44:20 am by steve@dcfd »
We need to pick a team that first and foremost get stuck in and be competitive. It’s ok playing 433 but the two wingers can’t just stop out wide. Mansfield will have four players in Midfield we will have two inexperienced players just stepped up to this league and either Biggins or Rowe both played in a poor side last season. The midfield was the problem last season and it’s still the problem. We need another at least strong tacking midfielder to add to the mix. For all who want Close and Westbrooke back they didn’t show anything, apart from injuries, last season. Grant must get the midfield right otherwise we will not be good enough defensively or in the attacking areas.
Watched ManU last night whose three in midfield were overrun on numerous occasions just like us. Let’s not forget if you don’t concede then 1 goal wins the game. Will see tonight what team we select this is league 2 not the Carabou Cup.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 11:47:12 am by steve@dcfd »

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 15, 2023, 12:14:38 pm by ncRover »
Agreed with you there Steve regarding the wide players.

Completely different level but the best 4-3-3 I’ve seen was the peak Klopp Liverpool. Mane and Salah weren’t wingers they were strikers. As talented as Deji and Roberts are they give the striker no support by hugging the touchline.

Close and Westbrooke still out so I’d stick with my thinking. Go Faal and Ironside up top, bypass the midfield who struggle to retain possession anyway and go more direct.

Senior can play left of a back 3. Roberts and Nixon have the athleticism to get up and down the flanks. 3 at the back protects Wood’s / Anderson’s lack of pace too. McCann has used 3-5-2 before.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on August 15, 2023, 04:26:34 pm by bedale rover »
Can't play Wood

Looked all at sea last weekend

I would go with Oluwu and Faulkner

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on August 15, 2023, 04:49:27 pm by selby »
  Bedale they would be my pick in central defence although in this case tonight I don't think it will happen.
  I think the team will not reflect too many changes from Saturday and most will be given this game by the manager who will be looking for a reaction from them as to how much they want it.
  If I am right it will be a big test for some of the players who will have to play well after Saturday to get the confidence of the manager again as there was a lot more wrong with our game than just a few players having an off day.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 15, 2023, 06:03:11 pm by steve@dcfd »
Can't play Wood

Looked all at sea last weekend

I would go with Oluwu and Faulkner
Whoever plays the central two this evening they have two Players to mark. The guy who plays the attacking point of the diamond will be the one to watch and if Bailey plays defensive midfield will have to be marking him very closely.
Defence will have to play well. But the midfield will
Be the most important area with four players in there for Mansfield is the midfield not one is an out and out winger unless personnel is changed
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 06:07:00 pm by steve@dcfd »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012