Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 06:40:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Favourite Away Ground  (Read 2421 times)

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
Re: Favourite Away Ground
« Reply #30 on September 08, 2023, 10:33:43 am by Herbert Anchovy »
Upton Park was a particular favourite of mine. Not only was it great seeing the Rovers at a ground that I'd visited a number of times in the early 80's, but it had a tremendous atmosphere. Noisy and slightly intimidating. The walk down Green Street was great, strolling past rammed and very noisy pubs with the odd group of Rovers fans here and there. The Hammers fans that I came across were fantastic too and I didn't see any bother but had loads of banter with them!

Wigan was another memorable ground too, but I think that was more to do with the entertainment of watching Rovers lads sliding down the mud bank.

The other one that I liked too was Roker Park. I think that we played there on Boxing Day or New years Day in the mid 80's. The noise inside the ground was incredible. There was about 300 Rovers fans there in a crowd of thousands and when we scored it seemed like every man, woman and child of them sang in unison "you're going to get your f+++ing heads kicked in"!! Scary stuff but what an atmosphere!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on September 08, 2023, 12:33:41 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
Nudga, for some reason the Halifax away end sticks in my mind too as a favourite.
I guess possibly because I was a nipper when I went in the sixties on the Moorends supporters bus and we had a couple of good wins there.
A couple of 3-2 wins stick in my memory.

Halifax great memories.

Seeing all those Green Orange and Cream buses way uphill behind the Goal AND of course the Corner kicks were taken from huge Pallets with turf on top of them

For the younger readers Halifax Dukes were at times a brilliant Speedway Team. Their home track was The Shay and of course was an oval

Halifax Town also used The Shay for football but the Speedway track sliced off each corner of the Football pitch so every match day the huge Pallets were placed on each corner and the takers had to make sure they took the kick but didn't fall off

The number of people who say " nah " " never " or
" prove it " and I once did but find it hard to find the proof again

I remember going to Halifax after we had just signed 3 defenders who made their debuts (theoretically that is supposed to strengthen a team) full of new found hope

and :-

Halifax Town v Doncaster Rovers, 12 December 1970
Score   4-0 to Halifax Town
Competition   League Division Three

who were the 3 one might have been a goalie

Goole Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on September 08, 2023, 12:44:11 pm by Goole Rover »
I’ll go for the keeper being Glenn Johnson CLH. Thinking about it maybe Kim Book. Someone hopefully will have correct me, come on JT.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on September 08, 2023, 01:58:39 pm by Donnywolf »
Oakwell on that wet October Friday night in 65 the only time I ever twagged a lesson at Tech College then got two hours pay stopped but it was worth it Barnsley 1 Rovers 5. Sorry Tyke.

On the special train
No Wolfie Yorkshire Traction bus. The train was the League Cup when Yogi scored the penalty. I recall a poor lad at the closed crossing sat astride on his bike and chanting “Barnsley” being hit smack on the head with a popping light bulb.

.My memory is of the kid leaning on level crossing getting pelted with a fresh from the socket Light Bulb and people unscrewing them.ready to sling out of train as well.

Carriages in relative darkness back to Donny but I.have in my head that was the 1 5 game

Idler will sort us out

The Beast

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on September 08, 2023, 05:00:28 pm by The Beast »
As a kid I always liked going to Saltergate, it felt like you’d gone back to a bygone era like Nicholas Lyndhurst in ‘Goodnight Sweetheart’. Having said that, it was in better nick than Belle Vue at the time!

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on September 08, 2023, 05:42:00 pm by Campsall rover »
Upton Park was a particular favourite of mine. Not only was it great seeing the Rovers at a ground that I'd visited a number of times in the early 80's, but it had a tremendous atmosphere. Noisy and slightly intimidating. The walk down Green Street was great, strolling past rammed and very noisy pubs with the odd group of Rovers fans here and there. The Hammers fans that I came across were fantastic too and I didn't see any bother but had loads of banter with them!

Wigan was another memorable ground too, but I think that was more to do with the entertainment of watching Rovers lads sliding down the mud bank.

The other one that I liked too was Roker Park. I think that we played there on Boxing Day or New years Day in the mid 80's. The noise inside the ground was incredible. There was about 300 Rovers fans there in a crowd of thousands and when we scored it seemed like every man, woman and child of them sang in unison "you're going to get your f+++ing heads kicked in"!! Scary stuff but what an atmosphere!
Remember that game HA
Boxing Day 1986 I think.
We scored 1st after 3 mins. Winger we had called Burke scored ( can’t remember his 1st name ) we went on to lose 3-1
Great atmosphere as you said, but think only 20 something thousand in the ground.

Just checked this one. My memory is going obviously.
1st Jan 1988 and the gate only 19,400
I did get the score right.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 05:46:48 pm by Campsall rover »

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on September 08, 2023, 07:14:56 pm by idler »
Oakwell on that wet October Friday night in 65 the only time I ever twagged a lesson at Tech College then got two hours pay stopped but it was worth it Barnsley 1 Rovers 5. Sorry Tyke.

On the special train
No Wolfie Yorkshire Traction bus. The train was the League Cup when Yogi scored the penalty. I recall a poor lad at the closed crossing sat astride on his bike and chanting “Barnsley” being hit smack on the head with a popping light bulb.

.My memory is of the kid leaning on level crossing getting pelted with a fresh from the socket Light Bulb and people unscrewing them.ready to sling out of train as well.

Carriages in relative darkness back to Donny but I.have in my head that was the 1 5 game

Idler will sort us out
I was there that Friday night John but we went by car. What made it sweeter was that we had been repairing the boiler at Wadworth church that afternoon. There was a sparky there as well and he was telling me his mate Roy Ironside would be in goal and we wouldn’t score past him. How wrong was he?
I remember the Barnsley fans streaming out as the goals went in in the last ten minutes.
Port Vale’s ground Vale Park was impressive in the 60s with a 40,000 capacity. I remember their fans throwing stones at me while I was buying a hot dog. Their aim was off though.

Armthorpe mickler

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on September 08, 2023, 08:15:23 pm by Armthorpe mickler »
The Shay had a cinder bank not tarmac.Darlington's ground Feetham's was a lovely old ground.The caverous terraces of Burnley very impressive and good for singing.Newport's Somerton park was three sided with coal wagons rattling behind the far goal.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on September 08, 2023, 08:21:14 pm by Nudga »
The Shay definitely had tarmac at some point as it was well noted at the time how icy and dangerous it was.

Armthorpe mickler

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on September 08, 2023, 08:23:27 pm by Armthorpe mickler »
Maybe but it was a cinder bank for a long time.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on September 08, 2023, 08:30:34 pm by Nudga »
I'm sure it was, I never said it didn't have a cinder bank.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on September 08, 2023, 08:42:33 pm by Donnywolf »

I’ll go for the keeper being Glenn Johnson CLH. Thinking about it maybe Kim Book. Someone hopefully will have correct me, come on JT.

Hi SCW you have everything right , date , score etc but looking back there were no debutants on show

Glen Johnson was in his 21st ish game that Season and nobody was playing for the first time.

Nearest to a first game was one Peter Kitchen (walks on water) who wore the number 8 for the third time only. Wonder what happened to him !

Armthorpe mickler

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on September 08, 2023, 08:45:06 pm by Armthorpe mickler »
Think it went up in wooden steps.They were baled out by the council in the 90's football on the poll tax.The tarmac they put on later on was bad in icy weather.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on September 08, 2023, 08:48:29 pm by Draytonian III »
Roy Ironside, grandfather of Joe

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on September 08, 2023, 08:55:11 pm by ravenrover »
Rochdale had an ash banking down one side
Stuart Robertson scored a blinding hesder there, not given, the net was so tight and small the ball bounced back out into play
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 08:54:42 am by ravenrover »

Armthorpe mickler

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on September 08, 2023, 09:10:53 pm by Armthorpe mickler »
Remember the pie and pea's stall behind the goal at Rochdale.They were good.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on September 09, 2023, 10:05:33 am by idler »
Rochdale had an ash banking down one side
Stuart Robertson scored a blinding hesder there, not given, the net was so tight and small the ball bounced back out into play
We were right behind that goal when it went in. Couldn’t believe that it wasn’t given. It was Easter Monday I think, a lovely summer day.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on September 09, 2023, 02:16:05 pm by Chris Black come back »
Roy Ironside, grandfather of Joe

His Dad is Ian Ironside, who I think will have played against us on a few occasions, given his 150 plus games for Scarborough at least.

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on September 09, 2023, 09:57:07 pm by StocktonRover »
I went to the friendly v billingham synthonia prob10 years plus a go

Sat on the grassy knoll at the back of one of the goals. Subs sat with us second half. Had a massive main stand with a factory behind it where most of the players had just done a 12 hour shift

Right enjoyed it lol

It's demolished now with a business park under construction.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012