Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 09:31:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Great result  (Read 3391 times)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: Great result
« Reply #30 on September 23, 2023, 07:04:03 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
If they're top of the league there's no reason why we can't be up there as well on that performance. Things are finally beginning to click. Get innnn! RTID

Spot on. The gradual I mprovement we are seeing is so encouraging. I'd rather be in our stage of development than Gillingham. So much more potential in our team but, we've got to keep working on those basics and the finesse will come.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on September 23, 2023, 07:07:59 pm by Chris Black come back »
Constructive criticism would be we don’t break with pace, wing backs don’t get behind opposition defence, quality of ball in from wide needs to be better, we can’t play through opposition defence often enough, and some weak balls playing out from back.

Certainly way more positive than negative but we do need to keep working on creating chances as set pieces and long range wonder shots won’t be enough to keep us winning.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on September 23, 2023, 07:59:55 pm by Campsall rover »
Constructive criticism would be we don’t break with pace, wing backs don’t get behind opposition defence, quality of ball in from wide needs to be better, we can’t play through opposition defence often enough, and some weak balls playing out from back.

Certainly way more positive than negative but we do need to keep working on creating chances as set pieces and long range wonder shots won’t be enough to keep us winning.
Would agree with that CBcb
Still plenty of work to do before we become the real deal. Feet firmly on the floor. Work in progress and I think that will be the case for the bulk of this season. That’s not to say we can’t get in the top 7 because I believe we can.
Next season though ( if we don’t go up ) then I think we will be very strong contenders for top 3 or even champions next season. GM will have 2 more windows to strengthen, assuming the Board give him the financial backing needed. I am confident they will. Don’t think GM would have come back to us without some reasonable assurance that he would be given the tools to get us in the top 6 in league 1 in a reasonable time period.

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on September 23, 2023, 08:05:29 pm by RoversInSpain »
Doesn’t attack the ball on crosses, stands rooted to the spot, he’s actually marking two of our players for their goal.
Doesn’t know who to mark. When a cross comes in he stays rooted  or he makes a lame jump, twists so the back of his head is facing the ball.
He Simply cannot defend a cross.

The only thing he’s relatively good at is winning a header from a central punt up the field.

He’s passive and looks confused.

Faulkner needs to replace him.

I’ve watched every game in the last 3 years and he’s still making the same mistakes.
Needs to look how Anderson aggressively attacks the ball.

I’ll stop there… as plenty for him to work on.

Look past your prejudice
Prejudice to what exactly, please explain? Spotting Bad defenders? .
In my opinion he’s a very poor defender of crosses. It’s not difficult to spot.
Anderson has been just as guilty in relatively recent time, however he appears to be getting back to his old self again.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on September 23, 2023, 08:17:04 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I've been Olowu's biggest critic but the lad was excellent today. More of that please.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on September 23, 2023, 08:20:45 pm by Chris Black come back »
Given what McCann said in lead up to game today, unless we have (yet) more injuries in training then we should have fit for next Saturday Ironside, Hurst, Wood, Lawlor, Senior and then Rowe back from suspension. Squad places will start to be a real premium soon.

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on September 23, 2023, 08:23:07 pm by Spilsby Red »
What a performance. Only let down was Faal. Big difference was Ironside. Attacks everything. The young lad from Sheff Utd. Looks good. Never gave up if he made a mistake and battled for it back. Bailey, mr consistent. Plays it simple. Always does what he has to. Anderson and Olowu. Both great. Jones. What a keeper. He should keep his place no problems

The Dav

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on September 23, 2023, 08:30:20 pm by The Dav »
I think Olowu performs much better with Anderson at the side of him ! They were both outstanding today !

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on September 23, 2023, 08:44:33 pm by Campsall rover »
What a performance. Only let down was Faal. Big difference was Ironside. Attacks everything. The young lad from Sheff Utd. Looks good. Never gave up if he made a mistake and battled for it back. Bailey, mr consistent. Plays it simple. Always does what he has to. Anderson and Olowu. Both great. Jones. What a keeper. He should keep his place no problems
That corner at the end of the game was Louie’s all day long. He was routed to his line and it nearly cost us.
Not saying he didn’t play well as he did last week but Lawlor would have come for that one and would probably have caught it. Certainly got a punch on it.
Admittedly when he was last with us he was like Jones on crosses but he is a vastly improved keeper now.
I am amazed there are not more on this forum that can see that.
Opinions eh.  :)

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on September 23, 2023, 08:52:24 pm by Northants Nomad »
Doesn’t attack the ball on crosses, stands rooted to the spot, he’s actually marking two of our players for their goal.
Doesn’t know who to mark. When a cross comes in he stays rooted  or he makes a lame jump, twists so the back of his head is facing the ball.

The only thing he’s relatively good at is winning a header from a central punt up the field.

I’ve watched every game in the last 3 years and he’s still making the same mistakes.

Chuff me, we need you in the coaching team, quick. I didn't realise how blessed we truly are to have such valued coaching expertise that's so clearly above Grant and the team.  :)

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on September 23, 2023, 08:56:10 pm by RoversInSpain »
That corner at the end of the game was Louie’s all day long. He was routed to his line and it nearly cost us.
Not saying he didn’t play well as he did last week but Lawlor would have come for that one and would probably have caught it. Certainly got a punch on it.
Admittedly when he was last with us he was like Jones on crosses but he is a vastly improved keeper now.
Agree entirely Campsall, Jones was a great shot stopper today, but looked incredibly weak/reluctant to come off his line, which makes defenders nervous. But as a lge 2 keeper he’s decent. Do prefer Lawler who looks stronger and more robust to punch/catch

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on September 23, 2023, 08:56:36 pm by Northants Nomad »
For me, the turning point was the second half at MK. I know we lost the game, but we were simply far better than them in that second half. It took a game or two more for the results to come, but I do sense a shift in the team since that performance.

I have to praise Close and Westbrooke for today - they ran midfield. But I have to also praise Bailey - for me, he's the signing of the season so far - wherever he plays across midfield and defence, he's solid, assertive and everything you could want in a young professional footballer.

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on September 23, 2023, 08:58:58 pm by Northants Nomad »
Agree entirely Campsall, Jones was a great shot stopper today, but looked incredibly weak/reluctant to come off his line, which makes defenders nervous. But as a lge 2 keeper he’s decent. Do prefer Lawler who looks stronger and more robust to punch/catch

Agree with this to some extent, but you need to remember that Lawlor is further along in his career. 2-3 years more growth and development in Jones could easily see him at Lawlor's current level. Jones did little wrong today and I will be a very hard decision for Grant when Lawlor is fit.

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on September 23, 2023, 09:10:10 pm by RoversInSpain »

Chuff me, we need you in the coaching team, quick. I didn't realise how blessed we truly are to have such valued coaching expertise that's so clearly above Grant and the team.  :)

Eeeeeerm …. Just commenting on what I’ve actually seen in numerous games.

If I was a coach I would have listed a coaching plan, I’m not and I haven’t.

So next time a keeper or any player drops a b*ll*ck you’ll never comment on it. Cos if you do you’re blessed with miraculous coaching skills.

Close, Westbrooke in particular, Nixon, Molyneux amongst a few others were great today… so say my coaching skills…

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on September 23, 2023, 09:50:44 pm by RoversInSpain »

Agree with this to some extent, but you need to remember that Lawlor is further along in his career. 2-3 years more growth and development in Jones could easily see him at Lawlor's current level. Jones did little wrong today and I will be a very hard decision for Grant when Lawlor is fit.
Absolutely!, Jones has been incredibly patient, it’s because Lawlor IS quite a few years ahead  I prefer him, I do think at this moment he’s the better keeper……….however, I would put Jones in v Barrow, he did very little wrong. Lawler now needs to win his place back.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on September 23, 2023, 10:04:07 pm by MachoMadness »

This is a worry I still have. We can't rely on worldies to win us games every week. We need to start creating more quality chances - and putting them away of course.

Lots to be positive about today though. Much more assured all over the pitch.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on September 23, 2023, 10:33:50 pm by roversdude »
Was their manager actually watching-he seems to think they battered us https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/reaction-doncaster-v-gillingham-league-2-match-reaction-293954/

Peebles Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on September 23, 2023, 10:39:09 pm by Peebles Rover »
7 or 8 sitters??!!

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on September 23, 2023, 10:41:43 pm by roversdude »
What a first class pr1ck he is

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on September 23, 2023, 10:50:47 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Compared to the 3 years of dross we have had to suffer today was a ‘feast of football’!

We kept the ball down, played intricate triangles (shades of SOD’s sides) which showed the players are working hard with the manager & coaching staff & are now ‘trusting & understanding’ one another’s attributes, which gave us a calmness on the ball in building attacking opportunities we’ve not seen for far too long.

We pressed without over committing ourselves, we harried & chased (bar Faal but GM must see a place for him so who am I) we played through the middle, down the channels always on the front foot whenever we had possession & for once I can’t recall it ever being given up ‘cheaply’.

Louis’ distribution was nigh on perfect. No humped balls to the half way byline but either thrown, rolled or kicked to feet. His reflexes were always his forte & today he saved us when called upon.

I’m not going to mention anyone else because to a man (bar Faal imo) they left nothing out there & did us proud.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on September 23, 2023, 11:03:52 pm by Retdon1 »
Great team performance today. Our midfield played very well. Not sold on Faal though. His first touch is awful for a pro footballer. He looks like he’s going to trip over the ball when he tries to dribble with it.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on September 24, 2023, 08:44:58 am by Jonathan »
Westbrooke is a quality operator. There’s some real promise in the combination with Close. When we get everyone back I’d like to see Bailey in there with them. Our recruitment has been understandably criticised at times, but I think Bailey has been a really impressive acquisition. Ironside was brilliant when he came on. Lots to feel positive about.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on September 24, 2023, 09:05:20 am by Filo »
Was their manager actually watching-he seems to think they battered us https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/reaction-doncaster-v-gillingham-league-2-match-reaction-293954/

“ “He’s still hit in a free-kick from 20-25 yards and we've got to defend that better, the wall has got to do its job. So that's that's a disappointment.”

A free kick inside the area and he says it was hit from 25 yards

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on September 24, 2023, 09:07:18 am by wilts rover »
Compared to the 3 years of dross we have had to suffer today was a ‘feast of football’!

We kept the ball down, played intricate triangles (shades of SOD’s sides) which showed the players are working hard with the manager & coaching staff & are now ‘trusting & understanding’ one another’s attributes, which gave us a calmness on the ball in building attacking opportunities we’ve not seen for far too long.

We pressed without over committing ourselves, we harried & chased (bar Faal but GM must see a place for him so who am I) we played through the middle, down the channels always on the front foot whenever we had possession & for once I can’t recall it ever being given up ‘cheaply’.

Louis’ distribution was nigh on perfect. No humped balls to the half way byline but either thrown, rolled or kicked to feet. His reflexes were always his forte & today he saved us when called upon.

I’m not going to mention anyone else because to a man (bar Faal imo) they left nothing out there & did us proud.

It's interesting you say that about playing the triangles Colin.

I watched the warm up at Forest Green and they were practising that, at speed, and hardly missed a pass. Come the game and they could hardly put three passes together before giving it away. So it's clearly not a technical thing but a mental/confidence issue. Lets hope three wins has given them the confidence to do it more often.

I guess that's why Faal is with us - to learn the game and what works. He is probably better used as a sub tho. To come on and add something different and unpredictable against a tiring defence.

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on September 24, 2023, 09:22:12 am by bobbymax »
Faal and Marsh are young lads here to mature. Both put in a shift yesterday and we'll have four strikers who all have ability and offer something different when Miller comes back. All in all, I'm more than happy with our recruitment this season.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on September 24, 2023, 09:44:04 am by pib »

I think we were by far the better footballing side in the game, but it was one of those games where it was quite even on chances, and they could’ve nicked it on the basis of their strength from set plays/long throws and their ability to fashion a chance from nothing due to their direct style. They put the ball into the box so quickly and recycle the second balls in such a way that something is always going to drop for them once in a while.

However, if he thinks they battered us and missed 7 or 8 sitters, I’m afraid he’s talking out of his Harris.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on September 24, 2023, 10:27:00 am by RobTheRover »
Their manager might be a bit salty, but their fans seem OK.

Enjoyed this.  https://youtu.be/LvZwOES6w14?si=pKldul4BVaZ26tUR

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on September 24, 2023, 11:03:05 am by ForsolongaRover »

He also said “a top League 2 side doesn’t concede from set-plays, which we did.”

That is plain crazy because all teams in every league concede from set-plays don’t they? I think all this was for the consumption of the body of fickle fans which every club has. They just look at the result and the highlights and stop turning up. To be fair, several of his expensive signings are out through injury and that might have been a more honest “excuse”.

Equally we should perhaps not assume that Gillingham will be a “top side” anyway.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on September 24, 2023, 11:30:54 am by ncRover »
Their manager might be a bit salty, but their fans seem OK.

Enjoyed this.  https://youtu.be/LvZwOES6w14?si=pKldul4BVaZ26tUR

Good highlights reel this.

Looked like 4 decent chances missed by Macauley Bonne.

Gills fans must be frustrated with him as you’d have thought he’d be scoring 20+ in this division.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012