Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 07:15:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Bottom Four  (Read 2905 times)

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
Re: Bottom Four
« Reply #30 on November 26, 2023, 09:20:42 am by sedwardsdrfc »
Comparing to this time last season on results alone is dangerous. We all knew last season that we were in a falsely high position. Pretty sure there were even stattos were saying we’ve got more points than the underling numbers suggested we’re worth.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on November 26, 2023, 09:24:47 am by Cramby10 »
BST, we are better than last season. Thats indisputable.

No nonsense centre half needed?? What are Anderson and Wood? Wood was fine at Championship level last season. Faulkner is ok as well. The winner yesterday came from a midfield runner, he ghosted past about 4 players and nobody tracked him. We need some solidity in midfield. Not more defenders.
we have that midfielder in our midst but we continue to put him at centre half. Bailey must be thrust further forward to protect the defence and a better centre half brought in.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on November 26, 2023, 09:46:22 am by BillyStubbsTears »

No nonsense centre half needed?? What are Anderson and Wood? Wood was fine at Championship level last season. Faulkner is ok as well. The winner yesterday came from a midfield runner, he ghosted past about 4 players and nobody tracked him. We need some solidity in midfield. Not more defenders.

I don't question that we are playing more attractive football than last season.

I don't question that we have better players than last season.

But the statistics and the evidence of my own eyes, week after week, tells me our ability to defend is worse than last season's.

It is the most fragile defence we've had in 20 years.

Despite what some people might think, I'm an eternal optimist when it comes to the Rovers. But that winner yesterday was grimly inevitable. I was expecting it from 30 minutes out, because our defensive unit simply does not have the resilience required.

PS. I didn't say we needed a no-nonsense centre half. Although one that could defend routine high balls lobbed into the six yard box would be a start.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on November 26, 2023, 10:23:29 am by Filo »
I think sometimes our defence gets a hard time, mainly because the defensive side of our midfield fails to do its job and track runners, just like the winner yesterday. Bailey needs to be in that midfield, the position he was signed for

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on November 26, 2023, 11:23:27 am by Dutch Uncle »
I would put a slightly different context on the bottom 4 stat.

We had a dreadful start of no wins and five defeats in the first seven games and everyone would agree we have improved since then. The eleven league games since then have produced those 12 points from 4 games against the bottom 4, and 6 points from 7 against the rest, a bit better than the 8 from 14 touted. We have also had a win and a draw against a strong Accrington Stanley side. I suggest not so bleak as some are suggesting. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 11:31:26 am by Dutch Uncle »

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on November 26, 2023, 12:19:38 pm by pib »
Last season we were one of the most pathetically awful sides in the Football League.

The season before we were one of the most pathetically awful sides in the history of League One.

Our failures over the past few years have not only been on the field. They have been undermined further by the club having absolutely no direction or idea of where it is going next.

The hope is that, with McCann and TB’s funding, we will get that back.

But this isn’t a quick turnaround job.

I’m as gutted and disappointed as anyone that we are 19th in League Two, but I think we have to get our heads around the fact that a lot of consistent factors remain in the playing staff from the aforementioned abject failures.

Hopefully it’ll turn. Sadly it’s going to be a slower process than any of us hoped.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on November 26, 2023, 12:49:50 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Absolutely agree with you, pib and as Dutch Uncle has shown the improvement is there to be seen for those of us willing to use our eyes.  I have confidence that we will continue to improve throughout the season whilst continuing to show frustrating inconsistency.
The problems that have developed over the last few years run so deep they will not be remedied overnight as much as that is what we all would like.  I am optimistic but not blind to the reality of our situation.

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on November 26, 2023, 05:14:13 pm by Prez »

Agree about the midfielders Gaz, but Wood isn’t getting much time and neither is Faulkner. You have to ask why is that? Also Anderson isn’t a patch on what he used to be and Olowu isn’t strong enough. Yes you defend as a team but we need better at the back.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on November 26, 2023, 07:06:12 pm by ncRover »
If anything we need a centre back with height and pace who can play right or left of a back 3. Then Bailey can play midfield.

Play whoever is in form out of Wood or Anderson in the middle. I would favour Wood currently.

If we free up some space in the squad then I’m sure there are plenty of young potential loanees that fit the above description in the leagues above. Faulkner is out for a while isn’t he?

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on November 27, 2023, 10:38:43 am by Bailey Vickerage »

Agree about the midfielders Gaz, but Wood isn’t getting much time and neither is Faulkner. You have to ask why is that? Also Anderson isn’t a patch on what he used to be and Olowu isn’t strong enough. Yes you defend as a team but we need better at the back.
Wood has just come back from injury and Faulkner is out until the new year.

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on November 27, 2023, 09:57:21 pm by Prez »

Wood has just come back from injury and Faulkner is out until the new year.

When they were available they were not getting much game time.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012