Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 12:09:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Accrington Stanley game  (Read 9653 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Accrington Stanley game
« on December 06, 2023, 10:27:24 am by selby »
  We will be looking to repeat our recent cup win on their new ground and obtain what I think would be our first league win there, which will not be easy.
  Our biggest problem would look to be our ex loan player from Birmingham City Josh Andrews, a hulk of a man, the type we have struggled to handle all season especially in the air and could very well cause us a lot of trouble.
  We should however take heart from Our last few performances especially at Crewe and Peterborough where we played well and lost, but went head to head with two good sides and set a standard of play we need to replicate every week to improve our standing in the league.
  Anderson I guess will come back into central defence  and probably Jones as keeper after his display v Peterborough the team and bench at Peterborough looking much stronger and balanced to earlier in the season, and gave the manager options he didn't have a couple of weeks ago.
   So things are looking better than of late although we now need to put distance between ourselves and the bottom teams to rest easier, a good sequence of results that has evaded us for a long time now needed, and we are going for our elusive second league win on the trot, something we need to start doing and being greedy going even further.
  Accrington meanwhile seem to be talked about more for off field spats with the manager and owner than the play on the field, and last time out lost 1-0 to Bradford in a keenly contested game. They will be looking to get back on track at our expense and are generally strong at home, and gave us a hard game at the ECO when visiting earlier with the spoils shared, and will be looking to get revenge for our EFL cup win a few weeks ago, when they struggled to contain Molineux, so he could come in for special treatment.
  With Faal and Ironside we now look potent up front and dangerous and need to play more of the game in the oppositions half as we seem a different side on the front foot going head to head.
  So what do you think? Lot's of talking points, things are starting to look better, and there is a better feel about the place, unusually because result wide we haven't done that well but progress at last seems to be taking place.
   Can we build on it?
   Even the EFL CUP has got more interest, have you taken more interest?
    Do you fancy us getting a result at Accrington?
    Are you going to the game?
    What team would you go with?
    Are we really making progress?
    Please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Accrington Stanley game
« Reply #1 on December 06, 2023, 10:58:09 am by steve@dcfd »
If Senior is not fit then the back three will possibly be Bailey Anderson Olowu. Wingbacks maybe Nixon and Maxwell. Does Molyneux play right wingback. Can’t see Sterry starting yet.
Midfield is the problem if Westbrooke is not available. Then Close and one from Rowe Biggins or Broadbent. Then the one behind the two strikers Molyneux if not at RWB Rowe or Hurst.
Ironside and Faal front two.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on December 06, 2023, 11:36:04 am by roversdude »
Not looked longer term but our main problem could be the weather, their game was called off last night due to a frozen pitch

NigelJ

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on December 06, 2023, 12:03:08 pm by NigelJ »
Temperatures won't be a problem. Forecast in Accrington is for overnight rain on Friday night, with minimum of 7 degrees C. Sunny on Saturday.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 06, 2023, 01:26:39 pm by EasyforDennis »
Game will probably be off due to a waterlogged pitch  :woohoo: :woohoo:

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 06, 2023, 01:35:13 pm by Campsall rover »
Game will probably be off due to a waterlogged pitch  :woohoo: :woohoo:
Why is that good. We want to play don’t we?
Accrington’s recent form is patchy. We are playing with confidence even if all the results haven’t gone our way.
We don’t need another postponement. Already got Walsall H to re arrange. If we go a long way in the BS Motors Cup then we will have quite a few Tues eve games to play.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on December 06, 2023, 02:05:12 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Before our cup replay in Accrington it was said that we had not won in Accrington since 1946-47, and we won there 5-0 in the Cup. While those are separately true statements, we actually won the 1-0 in the League at Accrington in 1946-47, and this match was after the Cup Tie. That league match was our last win there until the recent replay. :scarf:

Let's hope away wins at Accrington are like buses  :lol:

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on December 06, 2023, 02:07:10 pm by i_ateallthepies »
Campsall, I think EFD was making light of the exchange between roversdude and NijelJ.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 06, 2023, 03:26:57 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
The players should be full of confidence going into this game on the back of a 3-0 win and before that a very good performance against a team near the top of the league above. Accrington in a poor run of form aswell atm having lost 6 of their last 8 games in all competitions (only win coming at home against Wrexham and then drew in the first game against us). We should also be confident after the previous 2 games against them in which both of them we were the better side.

Performances away from home are there but results need to improve soon if we are to be the team who make a late push towards the play offs, best time to do that is now going into Morecambe at home next week and then the tough Christmas schedule. Win on Saturday and next week and we will go into the Christmas/new year week only a couple of points off the top 7.

Nice to see us have a strong bench again in the last few games and whoever we bring on won’t make the team any weaker. Sterry being back adds to that aswell and hopefully Maxwell missing yesterday isn’t due to injury, walked by us and didn’t look injured which is good.

Jones

Bailey Anderson Olowu

Molyneux Close Broadbent Maxwell

Rowe

Ironside Faal

Subs:
Lawlor
Sterry
Nixon
Biggins
Hurst
Goodman
Roberts

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on December 06, 2023, 05:21:53 pm by scawsby steve »
  We will be looking to repeat our recent cup win on their new ground and obtain what I think would be our first league win there, which will not be easy.
  Our biggest problem would look to be our ex loan player from Birmingham City Josh Andrews, a hulk of a man, the type we have struggled to handle all season especially in the air and could very well cause us a lot of trouble.
  We should however take heart from Our last few performances especially at Crewe and Peterborough where we played well and lost, but went head to head with two good sides and set a standard of play we need to replicate every week to improve our standing in the league.
  Anderson I guess will come back into central defence  and probably Jones as keeper after his display v Peterborough the team and bench at Peterborough looking much stronger and balanced to earlier in the season, and gave the manager options he didn't have a couple of weeks ago.
   So things are looking better than of late although we now need to put distance between ourselves and the bottom teams to rest easier, a good sequence of results that has evaded us for a long time now needed, and we are going for our elusive second league win on the trot, something we need to start doing and being greedy going even further.
  Accrington meanwhile seem to be talked about more for off field spats with the manager and owner than the play on the field, and last time out lost 1-0 to Bradford in a keenly contested game. They will be looking to get back on track at our expense and are generally strong at home, and gave us a hard game at the ECO when visiting earlier with the spoils shared, and will be looking to get revenge for our EFL cup win a few weeks ago, when they struggled to contain Molineux, so he could come in for special treatment.
  With Faal and Ironside we now look potent up front and dangerous and need to play more of the game in the oppositions half as we seem a different side on the front foot going head to head.
  So what do you think? Lot's of talking points, things are starting to look better, and there is a better feel about the place, unusually because result wide we haven't done that well but progress at last seems to be taking place.
   Can we build on it?
   Even the EFL CUP has got more interest, have you taken more interest?
    Do you fancy us getting a result at Accrington?
    Are you going to the game?
    What team would you go with?
    Are we really making progress?
    Please have your say.

Their stadium is 55 years old, Brian. I'd hardly call that new.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on December 06, 2023, 05:26:23 pm by selby »
  The new stand is Steve, you can even get your legs in when you sit down.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on December 06, 2023, 05:29:00 pm by Nudga »
Mechano Stand

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 06, 2023, 05:42:36 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Let's hope they've got drainage like Tranmere. 3 days of heavy rain forecast now

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on December 06, 2023, 06:30:48 pm by selby »
  Padge they have got something better than drainage, a slope from one end to the other.
  What we really need is to start the game off better than last night and against Peterborough. We were a goal down early doors v Peterborough and against the Forest only poor finishing early doors when they got at us saved us from making a poor start to the game again.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 06:39:02 pm by selby »

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on December 06, 2023, 07:25:33 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I hate using the term 'must win' but given we've drawn blanks at Wimbledon and Crewe, we really need to improve our away returns.

With the fixtures coming this month, we need a healthy return to get us within striking distance come the second half of the season. If we can nail these next three v Accrington, Morecambe and Bradford then those tough games at Notts Co and Mansfield become bonus games, where any positive results will do nicely.

We need to turn these odd goal defeats into odd goal wins and find that way of being stingier in defence and ruthless in attack. Easier said than done but it's not a mountain to climb to get the right side of the fine lines.

I'll definitely take a repeat of the cup game at Accrington.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 06, 2023, 07:54:08 pm by Alan Southstand »
Without the need for extra time, though, DBR?

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on December 06, 2023, 08:11:00 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
The players should be full of confidence going into this game on the back of a 3-0 win and before that a very good performance against a team near the top of the league above. Accrington in a poor run of form aswell atm having lost 6 of their last 8 games in all competitions (only win coming at home against Wrexham and then drew in the first game against us). We should also be confident after the previous 2 games against them in which both of them we were the better side.

Performances away from home are there but results need to improve soon if we are to be the team who make a late push towards the play offs, best time to do that is now going into Morecambe at home next week and then the tough Christmas schedule. Win on Saturday and next week and we will go into the Christmas/new year week only a couple of points off the top 7.

Nice to see us have a strong bench again in the last few games and whoever we bring on won’t make the team any weaker. Sterry being back adds to that aswell and hopefully Maxwell missing yesterday isn’t due to injury, walked by us and didn’t look injured which is good.

Jones

Bailey Anderson Olowu

Rowe

Ironside Faal

Subs:
Lawlor
Sterry
Nixon
Biggins
Hurst
Goodman
Roberts

I agree with this line up at the moment. Moly is better out wide getting 1v1s. I’d also be tempted to play Nixon right of the back 3 if the opposition aren’t too physical, so probably not one for this game.

I think in the midfield 3 Biggins might be ahead of Rowe for me now. I know he can seemingly disappear but he does work hard and has good goal involvements. He could only play as the 3rd midfielder because of that though

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on December 06, 2023, 10:14:02 pm by Alan Southstand »
Biggins is just fine where you’ve put him! The signing of a loan midfielder, in January, will help us still further. Preferably, a defensive anchorman, but so long as he can tackle, I’m not fussed. Another striker is obviously GM’s priority, but I believe we need that enforcer in our centre mid.

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on December 07, 2023, 08:47:14 am by RugbyRover »

Jones

Bailey Anderson Olowu

Rowe

Ironside Faal

Subs:
Lawlor
Sterry
Nixon
Biggins
Hurst
Goodman
Roberts

Jones - Rover's No. 1

Bailey Anderson Olowu - I would have to swap Nixon in for Olowu. That back three played well against Tranmere.

Molyneux Close Broadbent Maxwell - Probably our best midfield atm

Rowe - I'd have Hurst in here.

Ironside Faal - 2nd and 3rd names on the sheet for me

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on December 07, 2023, 10:00:38 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
We just don't win these games do we?  Huge test and a big opportunity if we can find some away form with two home games to come.  Tough run over christmas aswell so we need a few good results prior, it will be difficult to get anything at Notts or Mansfield.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on December 07, 2023, 02:56:46 pm by selby »
bfyp, we are at the point of the league season where we have to start winning games to achieve anything like getting near a playoff place in the division.
  I think it is quite exciting, we really have no option but to go for it every league fixture, quite a difference from the turgid stuff dished up to us in the second half of last season, and was put forward as the way to progress in football, and probably the best way to get the best out of the squad and management team we have got this season,  who have played their best football win or lose on the front foot.
  We have a very outside chance at the moment of getting among the contenders, not only do we have to go for it big style others have to drop off a bit from their early form,  a big ask, but potentially fun to the end of the season with an improving side, which we were going to be being a young side with the coaches we have got.
    We lost the whole of the second half of last season  with poor direction and leadership, something we have done well to get over so quickly and credit is due to Grant and the staff for bringing back some hope.
  With Faulkner and Flint we have two of our own who can save us loads of money and go on to bigger things nurtured correctly, and with Brown and a couple of maybe's such as Adamson the Academy is now bearing some fruit, a massive difference from this time last year.
   I don't expect us to reach our goal of the playoffs, but very much hope so, and hope we just push the boat out, play on the front foot home and away and go for it, then it will be exciting.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on December 07, 2023, 03:34:50 pm by Bailey Vickerage »

Jones

Bailey Anderson Olowu

Rowe

Ironside Faal

Subs:
Lawlor
Sterry
Nixon
Biggins
Hurst
Goodman
Roberts

I agree with this line up at the moment. Moly is better out wide getting 1v1s. I’d also be tempted to play Nixon right of the back 3 if the opposition aren’t too physical, so probably not one for this game.

I think in the midfield 3 Biggins might be ahead of Rowe for me now. I know he can seemingly disappear but he does work hard and has good goal involvements. He could only play as the 3rd midfielder because of that though

We missed Rowe massively imo when he was out injured, not just his ability to link play between midfield and attack but his leadership and experience. Biggins has been poor this season for me, don’t know how he got given MOTM on Tuesday. Works hard I agree but on the ball he’s been poor compared to last season but there’s always the chance of him scoring from nowhere which is good to have but Rowe is ahead of him for me.

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on December 07, 2023, 03:48:32 pm by Bailey Vickerage »

Jones

Bailey Anderson Olowu

Rowe

Ironside Faal

Subs:
Lawlor
Sterry
Nixon
Biggins
Hurst
Goodman
Roberts

Jones - Rover's No. 1

Bailey Anderson Olowu - I would have to swap Nixon in for Olowu. That back three played well against Tranmere.

Molyneux Close Broadbent Maxwell - Probably our best midfield atm

Rowe - I'd have Hurst in here.

Ironside Faal - 2nd and 3rd names on the sheet for me
Tough to leave Nixon out after his performances but Moly just has to be in the team and although he does have a mistake in him Olowu is still young and has the ability to play higher than league 2, his pace is also needed next to Anderson. Could possibly go with Nixon in the back 3 and Bailey into midfield but Broadbent deserves to be in after recent performances.

Good to have great options on the bench and also Senior and Westbrooke to come back in who shouldn’t be out too long (McCann did say Senior could possibly be back for Accrington).

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on December 07, 2023, 04:58:30 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Hope there's plenty going. Not been away since the Tranmere win.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on December 07, 2023, 08:16:28 pm by Chris Black come back »
Accrington are in the midst of an injury crisis with goalkeepers. There two senior keepers are out injured and they have just signed an emergency loan keeper from QPR who will likely start on Saturday.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on December 07, 2023, 08:56:29 pm by roversdude »
If they’ve signed an emergency keeper I think they by default have to play

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on December 07, 2023, 11:12:54 pm by Pancho Regan »
I’ll be there on Saturday wearing my Santa hat.

I bought it for Peterborough and need to get my money’s worth out if it …..

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on December 08, 2023, 07:26:18 am by roversdude »
We’re going unsure about the Santa hat though

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on December 08, 2023, 08:10:38 am by Metalmicky »
If they’ve signed an emergency keeper I think they by default have to play

He'll no doubt have a blinder......

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on December 08, 2023, 10:09:05 am by Nudga »
I went in the replay so not going to this one.
Getting my tickets for Notts and Mansfield later though

TinyPortal © 2005-2012