Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 02:17:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Gutless from back to front!  (Read 11620 times)

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
Re: Gutless from back to front!
« Reply #60 on December 17, 2023, 11:03:41 am by Colin C No.3 »
It’s difficult as a supporter to write a season off before Christmas fixtures especially given the sh**e we’ve had to endure the previous two & a half seasons, but best we can realistically hope for, given the ongoing injuries, is mid table.

Then we ‘re-boot’ for next season by not renewing certain contracts, addressing our shocking defence (including keepers) buying a Joe Laidlaw, Alan Little, Paul Keegan type midfielder & recruiting good loanees.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on December 17, 2023, 11:05:42 am by BillyStubbsTears »
It’s just rubbish trying to say we only won games against teams struggling especially when looking back at games.
Swindon and Gillingham were top 3 when we played them, they’re not anymore.
We’ve also lost to Stockport, Crewe, barrow, Wrexham, by the odd goal in games that could’ve easily gone either way, that’s 4 of the top 5.
So to suggest we’re not improving is nonsense.
Let’s see where we are at the end of jan and I’ll have a wager with you that we’re in the top half

Err. You're REALLY betting that we'll be in the top half by the end of January?

Looking at average PPG, it's likely that we'll need to have 42-43 points for that to happen.

That means we would need to win 18-19 points out of the next possible 24.

We play Mansfield, Notts County, Stockport, Bradford (twice), Harrogate, MK Dons and Newport. Every one of them above us in the league. So far this season, even before our current injury problems, we've won 9 points out of a possible 48 against sides currently above us in the league?

How much are you betting?

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on December 17, 2023, 11:06:21 am by Spilsby Red »
I questioned GM on another post yesterday. A couple more defeats and I think it will need looking at. Is he upto the job of motivating the players because yesterday he wasn’t. He was sat down a lot which is unusual for him. Are the players not playing for him? Didn’t look like it yesterday. Are things behind the scenes not great

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on December 17, 2023, 11:11:58 am by DonnyOsmond »
I questioned GM on another post yesterday. A couple more defeats and I think it will need looking at. Is he upto the job of motivating the players because yesterday he wasn’t. He was sat down a lot which is unusual for him. Are the players not playing for him? Didn’t look like it yesterday. Are things behind the scenes not great

Then he needs to bring in a group who are willing to play for him, were not constantly gonna sack managers and give the same players who have failed previously new contracts.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on December 17, 2023, 11:27:25 am by dickos1 »
It’s just rubbish trying to say we only won games against teams struggling especially when looking back at games.
We’ve also lost to Stockport, Crewe, barrow, Wrexham, by the odd goal in games that could’ve easily gone either way, that’s 4 of the top 5.
Let’s see where we are at the end of jan and I’ll have a wager with you that we’re in the top half

Looking at average PPG, it's likely that we'll need to have 42-43 points for that to happen.

We play Mansfield, Notts County, Stockport, Bradford (twice), Harrogate, MK Dons and Newport. Every one of them above us in the league. So far this season, even before our current injury problems, we've won 9 points out of a possible 48 against sides currently above us in the league?

Ok, I think we will have around 40 points come the end of jan. Whether that gets us into the top half or not nobody knows but it will be close

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on December 17, 2023, 11:39:00 am by BillyStubbsTears »

Ok, I think we will have around 40 points come the end of jan. Whether that gets us into the top half or not nobody knows but it will be close

You reckon we are going to pick up 16 points from the next 8 games?

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on December 17, 2023, 12:23:21 pm by normal rules »

You are right bst. The ppg is sobering.
Unbelievable that some still talk of the top seven and where rovers are in Relation to them, in some vain hope that 7th is achievable. Its real fantasy stuff.
For rovers to achieve the level that 7th are currently and assuming 7th place, come season end, will accrue 70 points; then rovers will have to go on a run, from now, that averages 1.84 ppg. That just isn’t going to happen. Thats auto promo form.
Rovers will finish the season on between 50 and 60 points. They are not a cohesive team at all, and by god it shows.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on December 17, 2023, 12:32:26 pm by belton rover »
It’s irrelevant if it splits into two,
The fact of the matter is, that since our first win 3 months ago, we have been accruing points at a rate that would get us into the playoffs over a season.
All teams have up and down spells, but the first 7 games were an obvious period of adjustment and a new team. Since that time we have seen a drastic improvement in performance and results. That is pretty obvious

Yes! But who have we won the overwhelming majority of those points against?!? In those 14 games, we have won 15 points in 5 games against sides currently in the bottom 7.

It's great that we won those. But in the other 9 games, our  results have been

P9 W2 D1 L6 F6 A15 PTS7

THAT'S the point some of us are trying to make.
Billy. Do you think McCann should be sacked?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on December 17, 2023, 12:39:02 pm by dickos1 »

Why keep arguing about something that has yet to happen.
Yes I think we can get 16 points from the next 8 games, you’re entitled to disagree but you can’t argue something that’s yet to happen as fact

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on December 17, 2023, 12:56:48 pm by mushRTID »
Why don’t you’s just have the bet, top half end of Jan? As dickos proposed?

« Last Edit: December 17, 2023, 12:59:36 pm by mushRTID »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on December 17, 2023, 12:58:38 pm by Chris Black come back »

Yes I think we can get 16 points from the next 8 games, you’re entitled to disagree but you can’t argue something that’s yet to happen as fact

Your belief is that we can get 16 points from the following run of 8 games?

Doncaster   v   Bradford   
Notts Co   v   Doncaster   
Mansfield   v   Doncaster   
Doncaster   v   MK Dons      
Harrogate   v   Doncaster         
Doncaster   v   Newport Co      
Bradford   v   Doncaster      
Doncaster   v   Stockport   

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on December 17, 2023, 01:23:56 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
It’s irrelevant if it splits into two,
The fact of the matter is, that since our first win 3 months ago, we have been accruing points at a rate that would get us into the playoffs over a season.
All teams have up and down spells, but the first 7 games were an obvious period of adjustment and a new team. Since that time we have seen a drastic improvement in performance and results. That is pretty obvious

Yes! But who have we won the overwhelming majority of those points against?!? In those 14 games, we have won 15 points in 5 games against sides currently in the bottom 7.

It's great that we won those. But in the other 9 games, our  results have been

P9 W2 D1 L6 F6 A15 PTS7

THAT'S the point some of us are trying to make.
Billy. Do you think McCann should be sacked?

Nope. But given the support he had on rebuilding the squad, I think we have significantly under achieved so far. And I think if Schofield had returned 24 points from 21 games with this squad, he'd have to barricade himself in his house.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2023, 01:26:22 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on December 17, 2023, 01:27:02 pm by ncRover »
Notts County are in terrible form. MK aren’t anything special either.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on December 17, 2023, 01:37:30 pm by i_ateallthepies »
McCann is still heavily hamstrung by the two years of club mismanagement prior to his appointment.  Sure he was given an improved budget but he is still left with the large majority of the playing squad still under contract and recruited by an evidently not fit for purpose selection process.  A group of players lacking footballing quality, physical robustness and mental strength.  Add to that a fitness conditioning team and physio team each failing dismally in their respective roles.

There remains an awful lot of behind the scenes improvement yet to be done before we can expect to see consistency in on-field performance and results.  It cannot be done overnight however much we all would like.

Daniel_Smith

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on December 17, 2023, 01:47:09 pm by Daniel_Smith »
Ludicrous for anyone to lay the bulk of the blame at McCann's door.

I sincerely hope the club don't make a scapegoat out of McCann for their own missteps. (i.e. hiring managers with very little experience in the past!)

Another manager isn't going to get anything better out of our current crop of players.

If you had Schofield or McSheffrey in charge of this lot. Yesterday's result could of been 0-8 or 0-10!

The board need to stick by McCann and give him the tools to turn things around. It is proving to be a mammoth task, but anyone who thought 1 season would be enough to turn this all around is deluded.

Pep Guardiola would struggle managing this team.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on December 17, 2023, 01:49:08 pm by dickos1 »

Doncaster   v   Bradford   
Notts Co   v   Doncaster   
Doncaster   v   MK Dons      
Bradford   v   Doncaster      

Yes!
Dear me it’s not that difficult is it?

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on December 17, 2023, 01:57:27 pm by pib »
I think what this has shown is that just throwing money at it isn't going to get us to where we want to be. There needs to be a lot more thought and better quality decision making going into the recruitment, and possibly the medical side as well.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on December 17, 2023, 02:05:11 pm by dickos1 »
I think all it shows is transforming a failing squad is going to take more than a few months

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on December 17, 2023, 02:06:47 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

I sincerely hope the club don't make a scapegoat out of McCann for their own missteps. (i.e. hiring managers with very little experience in the past!)

Another manager isn't going to get anything better out of our current crop of players.

If you had Schofield or McSheffrey in charge of this lot. Yesterday's result could of been 0-8 or 0-10!

The board need to stick by McCann and give him the tools to turn things around. It is proving to be a mammoth task, but anyone who thought 1 season would be enough to turn this all around is deluded.

And yet...

We never did lose 0-5 when those two ran the team and had significantly weaker squads to select from.

So I really don't understand how you come to that conclusion.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on December 17, 2023, 02:07:36 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Doncaster   v   Bradford   
Notts Co   v   Doncaster   
Doncaster   v   MK Dons      
Bradford   v   Doncaster      

Yes!
Dear me it’s not that difficult is it?

One to return to in 6 weeks I think.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on December 17, 2023, 02:19:03 pm by pib »
I think all it shows is transforming a failing squad is going to take more than a few months

I absolutely agree with that point Dickos and think we're on the same page. I think it was always going to take time, and I don't think Terry's money on its own was ever going to make all the difference, especially not quickly.

That performance yesterday was disgraceful. Pro footballers like Anderson, Biggins, Molyneux, Ironside and Senior, who aren't spring chickens and have a decent level of experience under their belt, should be embarrassed with themselves.

I'm one of McCann's biggest advocates and really do believe in him, but I think he let himself down yesterday as well, because I think he let his heart rule his head with those changes. Chucking Goodman and Kuleya into that situation and subbing some of our more effective players out of anger/frustration made us even worse IMO and won't have done anything for the young lads' confidence.

But I don't put the blame with McCann for the overall situation we find ourselves in. I'm sure given the time and resources he will improve us. I think there was a feeling in the summer that spending more money would be like waving a magic wand and turn us around overnight. I hope the club are learning lessons from how that has turned out. As always in football, money is a factor, but time, patience and good decision making are equally important, and it seems to me that as a club we are learning that the hard way.

Some of the signings we've made and the contracts given out to existing players tells me we are a long way off nailing the "good decision making" part. I don't think we will get back to where we all feel we should be until that changes.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on December 17, 2023, 02:22:49 pm by dickos1 »

And yet...

We never did lose 0-5 when those two ran the team and had significantly weaker squads to select from.

Not sure why you have this vendetta against McCann but it’s very tiresome

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on December 17, 2023, 02:24:51 pm by belton rover »
Do you think McCann should be sacked, Billy?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on December 17, 2023, 02:43:10 pm by Campsall rover »
He needs to stop playing a 3 at the back
Senior is not a centre back

Back 4 of Nixon, Anderson Bailey, Senior
Olowu is going backwards and needs at least a spell out of the firing line. If he does play then put and Bailey in midfield instead of either Broadbent or Biggins

Midfield is a real worry without Westbrooke who has been our best one this season.

Assuming Close is fit
Then Close, Broadbent and or Biggins it has to be as no one else. Bailey in midfield if Olowu plays
Molyneux a free role behind front 2 of Faal & Ironside.

The problem is Bailey has held our defence together. As shown yesterday of you have a 3 at back Bailey is a must.
The evidence is stark. 0-5
« Last Edit: December 17, 2023, 02:46:00 pm by Campsall rover »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on December 17, 2023, 02:44:52 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

And yet...

I don't have a vendetta against McCann. But equally, I don't think he's everything some fans think him to be.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on December 17, 2023, 02:45:28 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Do you think McCann should be sacked, Billy?

I've answered that once already. Why are you asking me again?

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on December 17, 2023, 02:47:57 pm by belton rover »
I missed your response. Apologies.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on December 17, 2023, 02:50:37 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I missed your response. Apologies.

No worries.

Daniel_Smith

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on December 17, 2023, 03:12:14 pm by Daniel_Smith »

And yet...

Some supporters think having a revolving door of managers will sort out our problems I think dickos. Newsflash - it won't!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on December 17, 2023, 03:15:34 pm by Filo »
He needs to stop playing a 3 at the back
Senior is not a centre back

Back 4 of Nixon, Anderson Bailey, Senior
Olowu is going backwards and needs at least a spell out of the firing line. If he does play then put and Bailey in midfield instead of either Broadbent or Biggins

Midfield is a real worry without Westbrooke who has been our best one this season.

Assuming Close is fit
Then Close, Broadbent and or Biggins it has to be as no one else. Bailey in midfield if Olowu plays
Molyneux a free role behind front 2 of Faal & Ironside.

The problem is Bailey has held our defence together. As shown yesterday of you have a 3 at back Bailey is a must.
The evidence is stark. 0-5

Broadbent is injured, out for 6 weeks

TinyPortal © 2005-2012