Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 05:42:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Mansfield Town game  (Read 8494 times)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Mansfield Town game
« Reply #120 on December 30, 2023, 09:07:20 am by Campsall rover »
How much better were we with a back 4.

Full backs playing as full backs and 2 centre backs playing as centre backs and not getting drawn out of position.
Not rocket science. I just hope the penny has dropped with GM and he sticks to it now.

Olowu had his best game of the season and I thought Sterry, Senior and Bailey were also excellent. They did their jobs of defending.

Ironside was fantastic. He dropped deeper and was at times an extra midfielder. He probably had more accurate pass completions than anyone else last night.
Took his goal well at 2nd attempt ( 1st one was blocked )
M.O.M by a mile for me.
Followed by Olowu.

Mention for Molyneux also as he worked his socks off last night.
If we could get a few more goals out of him and he plays like that week in week out we would have a brilliant player at this level.

All in all that was a very encouraging performance. We got stuck in, closed down their players and played with belief and spirit.
Work rate from everyone was what we need every game.
That set the bar last night and if that consistency is maintained for our last 22 games then we will finish in the top 10

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #121 on December 30, 2023, 09:16:30 am by Padge_DRFC »
Probably wise to bring Satona back from his loan now. He's better than Kuleya and someone to come off the bench now in this system.

EasyforDennis

• Forum Member
« Reply #122 on December 30, 2023, 09:18:25 am by EasyforDennis »

Full backs playing as full backs and 2 centre backs playing as centre backs and not getting drawn out of position.
Not rocket science. I just hope the penny has dropped with GM and he sticks to it now.

Olowu had his best game of the season and I thought Sterry, Senior and Bailey were also excellent. They did their jobs of defending.

Ironside was fantastic. He dropped deeper and was at times an extra midfielder. He probably had more accurate pass completions than anyone else last night.
M.O.M by a mile for me.
Followed by Olowu.

If we could get a few more goals out of him and he plays like that week in week out we would have a brilliant player at this level.

All in all that was a very encouraging performance. We got stuck in, closed down their players and played with belief and spirit.
That set the bar last night and if that consistency is maintained for our last 22 games then we will finish in the top 10

It's a big IF Camps, but they have proved last night that they can do it. There should be no more Morecambe, Bradford and Notts County performances this season!!

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #123 on December 30, 2023, 09:22:15 am by roversdude »
Can I throw in…..how much better we looked without Anderson at the back

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #124 on December 30, 2023, 09:25:59 am by drfchound »

M.O.M by a mile for me.
Followed by Olowu.

Looking at the highlights Camps, it looks like Joes first shot was scuffed and would have gone well wide.
Luckily the bounce back off the defender fell perfectly and Joe was able to adjust his body to slot the ball into the corner.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #125 on December 30, 2023, 09:29:16 am by Nudga »

M.O.M by a mile for me.
Followed by Olowu.

Looking at the highlights Camps, it looks like Joes first shot was scuffed and would have gone well wide.
Luckily the bounce back off the defender fell perfectly and Joe was able to adjust his body to slot the ball into the corner.

Yes it was going well wide as he scuffed the first effort. Great awareness and finish at the second attempt. Joe was immense last night.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on December 30, 2023, 10:08:50 am by DonnyOsmond »
It's a funny one with Hurst. Probably our best player last night but he's not done anything much since he returned from injury.  I suspect McCann wanted a more physical presence hence Kuleya came on.

I also agree on Biggins. Let's be honest his passing is poor for this level but he ran his socks off and I'll never criticise that.  Very unlucky not to score aswell.  I thought we looked way better when Rowe moved further left, he had a decent game last night.

Please stick with 4-3-3

According to Grant in his interview we didn't play 4-3-3. It was a diamond.

Yeah, Ironside was basically a 10.

Neil Barsby

« Reply #127 on December 30, 2023, 10:46:05 am by Neil Barsby »
Hi guys.

Did say you would get chances. You clearly had a plan and it almost worked. Draw fair result?  No  and to be honest you should have won, fantastic support as always from you guys.
Didn't play well. Should have lost but omg I will take that point.
Some of your fans said  defo going down?   Not a chance.  Well done again

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #128 on December 30, 2023, 11:11:13 am by StocksArmy »
The current game is all about getting your distances correct. You need every player fit enough to sprint to the ball and read the game. Being technically gifted doesnt cut it anymore whether its at the highest level or the lowest. Look at Paul Pogba for example. Without the willingness to get to the ball when you dont have it and the willingness to run into space when you do makes every bit of difference between successful and being sh!t. Then is when quality comes into it. We ask a lot of Molyneux but we are a much better team when he decides to turn up and work like he did last night. He and Ironside set the tone for the performance. The only disappointing player for me was Faal. Big fan of his but over the last few games he has not looked bothered IMO.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #129 on December 30, 2023, 11:38:54 am by Dutch Uncle »
It's a funny one with Hurst. Probably our best player last night but he's not done anything much since he returned from injury.  I suspect McCann wanted a more physical presence hence Kuleya came on.

I also agree on Biggins. Let's be honest his passing is poor for this level but he ran his socks off and I'll never criticise that.  Very unlucky not to score aswell.  I thought we looked way better when Rowe moved further left, he had a decent game last night.

Please stick with 4-3-3

Position or performance level ............. or both  :lol:

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #130 on December 30, 2023, 01:12:52 pm by ravenrover »
who's everyone's MOTM?
Dare I say it? … Olowu. Didn’t put a foot wrong and I’m normally one of his biggest critics.

It was an entire team transformed and playing for the manager once again as well as each other. Olowu was a man transformed, so composed, passing the ball immaculately. Perhaps he does play better without Anderson beside him. Close had the opportunity to show why some people think he is so good, but he did not engage as much as he might have done and played it safe most of the time. In contrast, Biggins involved himself a lot, but made some bad decisions and it was apparent that being on the ball and sustained attacking was something most of the players weren’t used to and perhaps they don’t know what to expect from each other. The team-player of the match for Rovers was Ironside, always working hard, and never selfish.

What did you think of Louis when he came on?

I worried a bit, but he was not seriously tested. It’s very obvious that he is coached to remain on his line as is Lawlor and whether it suits either of them is questionable. It allows opposition set-pieces to be planned with the certainly that the keeper won’t challenge unless the ball is right under the bar. With Lawlor seemingly vulnerable to possibly persistent injury problems, there seems to be a case for a third senior goalkeeper. And that’s as positive as I’m going to be.
Jones, Not seriously tested!!!!! Think it's your eyes that need testing

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #131 on December 30, 2023, 01:37:55 pm by ncRover »
I think a new forward may well take Faal’s place in that formation

Yes the potential new lad is known for his work rate.

Think the Mo Joe partnership is over, they will likely rotate for that deep 9 position I think. Both have the right attributes for it

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #132 on December 30, 2023, 01:54:45 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Please stick with 4-3-3

Position or performance level ............. or both  :lol:

Sex appeal

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #133 on December 30, 2023, 02:27:35 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
Hi guys.

Did say you would get chances. You clearly had a plan and it almost worked. Draw fair result?  No  and to be honest you should have won, fantastic support as always from you guys.
Didn't play well. Should have lost but omg I will take that point.
Some of your fans said  defo going down?   Not a chance.  Well done again

I just checked when Mansfield drew 2-2 at home to Tranmere it was November 28th - Clough praised them to the hilt then ( they must have been about 3rd bottom then ?) and he said they would climb the table and they certainly have in the last month.

On Boxing day Grimsby had chances early on and as someone said - it could have been a different result "if... if ..if" 

So with us getting a draw the question to be asked is are they going off the boil at home ?  They seem to have a knack of beating the "non top 7" away

We know they are built on defense (best defence) and pass and move when not pressing but struggle for goals (who doesn't)

Judgement Day for them on Monday ??

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #134 on December 30, 2023, 11:18:28 pm by Bailey Vickerage »
Probably wise to bring Satona back from his loan now. He's better than Kuleya and someone to come off the bench now in this system.
Even if we had Sotona he would never have been brought on yesterday instead of Kuleya.

Especially when Tav came on in midfield, imagine Sotona as a central midfielder lol.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #135 on December 30, 2023, 11:26:49 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Even if we had Sotona he would never have been brought on yesterday instead of Kuleya.

Especially when Tav came on in midfield, imagine Sotona as a central midfielder lol.

I was pleased to see Tav come on yesterday. He's a smart player who I'd like to see more of from the bench .

Bailey Vickerage

• Forum Member
« Reply #136 on December 30, 2023, 11:31:31 pm by Bailey Vickerage »

I was pleased to see Tav come on yesterday. He's a smart player who I'd like to see more of from the bench .
at the time I was surprised he came on instead of Hurst as thought Hurst would’ve been better on the ball but he ran his socks off when he came on and did his job.

Think bringing him and Goodman on and not Hurst was a bit of a statement from McCann saying that he needs a good number of signings in January.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #137 on December 31, 2023, 10:48:57 am by Sammy Chung was King »
When the opposition manager praises you, you are no threat to his team, only time they praise teams, to deflect the performance of their own side. Good point against Mansfield, means nothing without following on from that with another good result.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #138 on December 31, 2023, 11:27:52 am by selby »
  Yep Sammy I am with you, we have had a couple of false dawns this season, this time we need to grasp the metal and follow it up and even reach out to be even better than at Mansfield.
  It needs to be just the start of even better things, and the players need to realise their stock automatically goes up with the team if they can be successful, and that comes only with hard work and commitment.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #139 on December 31, 2023, 04:18:54 pm by drfchound »
When the opposition manager praises you, you are no threat to his team, only time they praise teams, to deflect the performance of their own side. Good point against Mansfield, means nothing without following on from that with another good result.

Exactly what I said further up the thread:

“Looking forward to the MKD game now and just hope we can pick up a win to make this point a valuable one.”

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #140 on December 31, 2023, 04:26:45 pm by Sammy Chung was King »
We need something, to build confidence . At home you always want to win especially. We’ve just gone to the side second from the top in the league and got a point and could have come away with three. That’s with multiple injuries and a constantly changing team. We need players back and continuity of selection especially at the back. Get that hole in midfield filled in January, hopefully get a good, strong and experienced centre back in to control the backline. A few exciting younger players to add to that mix and we are capable of climbing that league table.

The whole team needs to use the last game as around the standard we should be attaining every week. Really disappointing to be where we are after the optimism we had. I think we can beat Mk Dons but it will be a battle.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012