Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 02:06:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sheffield Supertram  (Read 1835 times)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Sheffield Supertram
« on January 13, 2024, 09:20:11 am by drfchound »
Ros Jones said back in 2018 “no more cash from Doncaster taxpayers for Supertram”.
She has changed her mind!

from The Tribune:

“Imagine going out to a restaurant with three friends and, for some inexplicable reason, you and one other friend decide to order nothing. Half the table patiently sips tap water, while one person tucks into a main and another enjoys a full three-course meal. At the end, they cheerfully suggest you split the bill into equal quarters.
This is the situation that Barnsley and Doncaster find themselves in as the region prepares to bring the Supertram system into public control. It’s a change that will require significant financial investment which, according to South Yorkshire mayor Oliver Coppard, “is a down payment on our ambitions for a different type of transport network in South Yorkshire”. Except, at least for the foreseeable future, said network doesn’t cover South Yorkshire; it covers Sheffield and a bit of Rotherham. So what’s in it for the region’s two other councils?”

It would be nice if the proportion paid by Doncaster Councils funding could be spent on one of the poorest areas in the UK (apparently) and improve our City centre.
Of course some of it could also go towards re instating the airport.
I wonder how many of our residents actually use the failing Sheffield tram system which is due to go public this year and lose £6.3m in its first year of operation.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 09:22:53 am by drfchound »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

tyke1962

• Forum Member
Re: Sheffield Supertram
« Reply #1 on January 13, 2024, 09:34:44 am by tyke1962 »
Ros Jones said back in 2018 “no more cash from Doncaster taxpayers for Supertram”.

from The Tribune:

“Imagine going out to a restaurant with three friends and, for some inexplicable reason, you and one other friend decide to order nothing. Half the table patiently sips tap water, while one person tucks into a main and another enjoys a full three-course meal. At the end, they cheerfully suggest you split the bill into equal quarters.
This is the situation that Barnsley and Doncaster find themselves in as the region prepares to bring the Supertram system into public control. It’s a change that will require significant financial investment which, according to South Yorkshire mayor Oliver Coppard, “is a down payment on our ambitions for a different type of transport network in South Yorkshire”. Except, at least for the foreseeable future, said network doesn’t cover South Yorkshire; it covers Sheffield and a bit of Rotherham. So what’s in it for the region’s two other councils?”

It would be nice if the proportion paid by Doncaster Councils funding could be spent on one of the poorest areas in the UK (apparently) and improve our City centre.
I wonder how many of our residents actually use the failing Sheffield tram system which is due to go public this year and lose £6.3m in its first year of operation.

The only time I've used it Hound is when we played Wednesday and got on it at Castle Square to Leppings Lane and made the trip back after the game .

That's years ago mind because I've stopped going to Hillsborough on account of the ridiculous prices Wednesday have charged for nearly a decade .

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 13, 2024, 01:30:37 pm by Sprotyrover »

from The Tribune:

The only time I've used it Hound is when we played Wednesday and got on it at Castle Square to Leppings Lane and made the trip back after the game .

That's years ago mind because I've stopped going to Hillsborough on account of the ridiculous prices Wednesday have charged for nearly a decade .

Oliver COPOUT has earmarked £596 million of £1.4 Billion expected from HSR 2 apparently £113 Million
Is Doncaster’s share, this was agreed at a County meeting chaired by COPOUT on 14 November, our Nana Ross meekly agreed as she did to propping up the Trams Service to the Tune of £6.5 million of Doncaster rate payers money , now it doesn’t make a profit and is accessible to 1/3 of Sheffield residents, it’s only use to us is the connection from Sheffield Railway station, I assume it only gets used when Donny Owls go to home games.
I wouldn’t mind him spending it on building an extension from Doncaster railway station to Bentley, Balby,Woodlands Cantley but that will never happen.
The earmarked money is to restore the existing network.
I don’t know what Nanna Ros is playing at unless she has been promised several hundred million to fund the reopening of the City Airport.
As I said in another post Doncaster MBC must be one of the most affluent Councils in the UK as our Labour Mayor can thrown our money away.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 01:33:24 pm by Sprotyrover »

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 13, 2024, 02:21:55 pm by Iberian Red »
The opening title of the thread sounds like a shit clubland tribute band.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 13, 2024, 06:04:13 pm by drfchound »

More like a shit decision by our Labour council.
Good of you to (not) contribute to the content of the thread though.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 13, 2024, 06:22:39 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I wrote the final essay of my course at university on the financials of supertram.  Conclusion was that it was he wrong system, in the wrong place based on the financial data within the investment appraisal.  The renewal cost is staggering and I'm struggling to see how the public sector will make this work.

I really struggle to understand the logic of Ros Jones in this, I don't see why Doncaster is contributing for no gain.  There's better things this money could be spent on.

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 13, 2024, 08:18:19 pm by Iberian Red »

Thanks G.

You are a superb role model in that respect.
It was a joke,but you have to keep up your immature image and snide(how many posters have said the same over the years,not a question but a fact) comments. Well done.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 13, 2024, 08:21:05 pm by drfchound »

Thanks G.

It was a joke,but you have to keep up your immature image and snide(how many posters have said the same over the years,not a question but a fact) comments. Well done.

Still coming out from under your bridge then.  Foldyroll.  :lol: :lol:

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 13, 2024, 08:27:00 pm by Iberian Red »

Thanks G.

Wow.

Great hilarious comeback.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 13, 2024, 08:47:50 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Thanks G.

Spanish (S)troll
https://youtu.be/N5LveBIjg3o?si=6v6U9nkUt1gQBiMX

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 13, 2024, 09:02:15 pm by Iberian Red »

Thanks G.

Spanish (S)troll

One on the line for bingo. Maybe two if a like counts kids?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 13, 2024, 09:12:04 pm by drfchound »
I wrote the final essay of my course at university on the financials of supertram.  Conclusion was that it was he wrong system, in the wrong place based on the financial data within the investment appraisal.  The renewal cost is staggering and I'm struggling to see how the public sector will make this work.

I really struggle to understand the logic of Ros Jones in this, I don't see why Doncaster is contributing for no gain.  There's better things this money could be spent on.

Anyway, back on the topic of the thread, agreed bfyp.
Doncaster as a town/city really does need much funding to revive its fortunes.
I can’t imagine that many Doncaster ratepayers will be happy with this decision by Jones.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on January 13, 2024, 09:18:51 pm by scawsby steve »

Thanks G.

Spanish (S)troll

One on the line for bingo. Maybe two if a like counts kids?

I've just added a like, so that makes it 3.

The 3 billy goats gruff. Now why can't we get over that f*cking bridge?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 13, 2024, 09:27:43 pm by Bentley Bullet »
This isn't fair. We can't play Bingo with The Spanish Troll because there ain't enough numbers on his side to give us a bloody line!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on January 13, 2024, 09:43:14 pm by SydneyRover »
Here is the full proposal from the South Yorkshire Mayoral Combined Authority I guess most on this thread would have read it already but for those that haven't ...............

https://southyorkshire-ca.gov.uk/news/article/c9f55c3f-cadb-467a-9c72-bb214ae9c538

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 13, 2024, 09:51:30 pm by danumdon »
Now why would a labour controlled Council agree to funding a project outside of the control of the city council?

When the same council are pleading poverty and require further funding to make ends meet, to give away precious funds like this is surly ludicrous!

I wonder why the usual suspects have had nothing to say about this?

BST, you are usually very quick to berate the lack of investment, do you agree with this handover of cash to a project in Sheffield, with you living there and possibly benefiting from it?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 13, 2024, 10:05:48 pm by SydneyRover »
Now why would a labour controlled Council agree to funding a project outside of the control of the city council?

When the same council are pleading poverty and require further funding to make ends meet, to give away precious funds like this is surly ludicrous!

I wonder why the usual suspects have had nothing to say about this?

BST, you are usually very quick to berate the lack of investment, do you agree with this handover of cash to a project in Sheffield, with you living there and possibly benefiting from it?

Have you read all the background on this? the original post is only the opening part of an editorial the rest being behind a paywall, it would be good of the op could supply the rest of it.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 13, 2024, 10:20:48 pm by SydneyRover »
Is this you sproty?

''The wait for more buses: Woman describes 90-minute journey to work as local services slashed
Heather has had to change her working hours after bus services were cut and must start her commute at 5.30am to make it in on time''

''Heather has lived in the same house for 17 years. She used to have a reliable bus service - three different buses ran every 20 minutes from her home, meaning she could get a bus every five minutes.

Those three buses have been cut to one. On the way home, the evening service has been slashed so that her one bus home from Rotherham to Rawmarsh runs every two hours. She's had to change her working hours as a result''

Sky News

https://news.sky.com/story/its-not-fun-womans-90-minute-bus-journey-to-work-as-local-services-slashed-13038244

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 13, 2024, 10:36:27 pm by Sprotyrover »
Is this you sproty?

''The wait for more buses: Woman describes 90-minute journey to work as local services slashed
Heather has had to change her working hours after bus services were cut and must start her commute at 5.30am to make it in on time''

''Heather has lived in the same house for 17 years. She used to have a reliable bus service - three different buses ran every 20 minutes from her home, meaning she could get a bus every five minutes.

Those three buses have been cut to one. On the way home, the evening service has been slashed so that her one bus home from Rotherham to Rawmarsh runs every two hours. She's had to change her working hours as a result''

Sky News

https://news.sky.com/story/its-not-fun-womans-90-minute-bus-journey-to-work-as-local-services-slashed-13038244
Good grief crawl back under yer stone you twit!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on January 13, 2024, 10:37:37 pm by SydneyRover »
Not you then sprot?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 13, 2024, 10:41:28 pm by SydneyRover »
42% fewer bus services across South Yorkshire in the last 10 years. 588-338.

https://www.facebook.com/MayorRos/

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 13, 2024, 10:53:33 pm by drfchound »
42% fewer bus services across South Yorkshire in the last 10 years. 588-338.

https://www.facebook.com/MayorRos/

Thanks for highlighting that FB page Syd.
There are lots of comments by Doncaster residents which are questioning the wisdom of Ros Jones and asking why she chooses to spend money earmarked for Doncaster in other areas.
There isn’t much, if anything, supporting her decisions.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 14, 2024, 02:56:11 pm by Sprotyrover »
Not you then sprot?
Certainly singing off the same hym sheet as Moi!

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 14, 2024, 03:39:57 pm by tyke1962 »
There is very little benefit to the taxpayers of Doncaster , Barnsley and Rotherham that I can see with Supertram .

I notice with interest the references to the benefit of South Yorkshire regarding Supertram when nothing could be further from the truth unless the city of Sheffield and a bit of Rotherham is now classed as the whole of South Yorkshire .

This at a time when our own town's and city's systems of public transport are questionable at best , I'd gladly leave the car on the drive each morning if it didn't add 2 and a half hours to my working day when I make the daily commute from the west of Barnsley to the east , negotiating Stairfoot roundabout every rush hour at night is like having your teeth pulled .

I'm more than willing to pay towards better public transport through my council tax if it benefits the town where I live and work .

Why I should fund Supertram to only benefit the commuters of Sheffield is for the fairies in my opinion .

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 14, 2024, 04:01:33 pm by Filo »
Maybe this is a trade off when seeking funding in support of the airport

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on January 14, 2024, 04:44:26 pm by Sprotyrover »
That’s what I thought as Barnsley had their town centre re development!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on January 14, 2024, 04:49:02 pm by drfchound »
Can Ros Jones be trusted though, after all she said five years ago that no more cash from Doncaster taxpayers would go towards the Sheffield Supertram system.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 14, 2024, 05:46:27 pm by tyke1962 »
That’s what I thought as Barnsley had their town centre re development!

It came in at £178m and the money was raised as a joint venture between the council and private enterprise .

They've done a magnificent job , it's fantastic and have got the balance between retail , leisure and eating / drinking absolutely bang on .

Never known the town centre as busy or vibrant for decades , we even have coach trips from all over the North coming for days out .

I initially thought it would end up a white elephant myself when the plans were announced what with internet shopping , Meadowhall and Leeds 30 minutes away on the fast train but I couldn't have been more wrong .

The council got this absolutely spot on .

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on January 14, 2024, 07:55:39 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
And yet here the council sold off the market to a company with a bad track record from the outset.  I don't disagree you should find the best outfit to run it, but they very much didn't.

Surely there's a debate about the worthiness of trams these days?  Wouldn't that funding be better spent on electric busses?  Busses that clearly need funding as they don't get used as much, killing the business case for companies running them.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on January 14, 2024, 08:33:36 pm by tyke1962 »
My apologies , came in at £220m , anyway what's a few million when you've got this .

Really proud of this .

https://youtu.be/Qqx0itw-IUA?si=nyvjAoPiyEJKGttG

TinyPortal © 2005-2012