Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:06:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Improvement on last season?  (Read 2684 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Improvement on last season?
« Reply #30 on January 14, 2024, 02:06:24 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Me, Jonathan? I think we might start by getting last season into a bit of perspective. There are still folk losing their shit over how badly last season panned out, yet not raising a murmur over this season.

Why don't you dive in and ask them?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on January 14, 2024, 02:09:26 pm by Jonathan »
Me, Jonathan? I think we might start by getting last season into a bit of perspective. There are still folk losing their shit over how badly last season panned out, yet not raising a murmur over this season.

Why don't you dive in and ask them?

Asking you because you said it’s inexcusable. I’m not sure what your suggestion above will add.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on January 14, 2024, 02:12:51 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Do you think it's ok?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on January 14, 2024, 02:14:17 pm by Jonathan »
Do you think it's ok?

I’m asking you. It was your comment.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on January 14, 2024, 02:16:14 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I've no idea what should be done. Unlike those last season who were certain we should turf the manager out.

Happy?

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on January 14, 2024, 02:20:18 pm by DearneValleyRover »
I don’t think anyone is happy Billy with the football or the constant childish squabbling on here and that’s directed at everyone involved not just you

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on January 14, 2024, 02:21:15 pm by pib »
Perhaps there is less of a rush to turf the manager out this season because this time we have a manager with a proven track record at a higher level, and who provides some sense of honesty and realism in the media. So they can see that there is perhaps some hope that he might be able to find a formula that works, and that he’s not blind to the issues going on on the pitch.

As opposed to a manager who won 1 in 9 at his previous club in his only other semblance of managerial experience, and could provide little more to the listening public than a load of platitudes about processes.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on January 14, 2024, 02:25:10 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Yet he could, and did provide more points per game Pib. With a paper thin squad.

Me, I prefer points to interviews.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on January 14, 2024, 02:25:53 pm by pib »
I didn’t say it was about interviews.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on January 14, 2024, 02:30:02 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Then why raise how poor Schofield's public speaking was?

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on January 14, 2024, 02:33:08 pm by Barmby Rover »
The latest to give us punch up front has a far from impressive set of statistics, coming as a reject from a club (admittedly higher) in the same division, and that on loan, no real commitment to his abilities then, just a suck it and see, and only then as back up for others. The last time we were in this division (briefly) we signed Akinfenwa, and then Heffernan, having had Blundell. It makes the current crop fade into submission in terms of ability and goal scoring.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on January 14, 2024, 02:34:36 pm by Jonathan »
So it’s “inexcusable” and you have “no idea what should be done” other than asking others to voice comparable disapproval to last season. Okay, sounds fun and really constructive.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on January 14, 2024, 02:37:15 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I'm struggling Jonathan. I'm thoroughly sick of watching the generally witless and gutless shit that we've been serving up for years.

If you can stomach that and not complain every once in a while, good on you.

I'll ask again, since you're so interested in my opinions, what is yours? Do you think our efforts this season have been ok?

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on January 14, 2024, 02:50:51 pm by Silkscarf »
Last season was under 2 separate managers so the comparison in terms of management is not straightforward. It was McSheffrey from Aug, then Schofield from 20 Oct. So both share the blame/credit for finishing 18th and most (possibly all) Rovers fans judging it a very poor season. Maybe either or both would have done better (or even worse) over a whole season. We’ll never know.

But what does improvement on last season, based on what’s possible now, look like?

Silkscarf

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on January 14, 2024, 02:53:21 pm by Silkscarf »
For me it’s 17th or better with improvement up to the end of the season with a clear way of playing that we can build on in summer.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on January 14, 2024, 02:58:10 pm by Jonathan »
I think this season has been really disappointing so far and below expectations. That said, there are a number of factors behind that and I wouldn’t even remotely entertain the prospect of changing the manager again. We have a manager in place that I believe can and will improve us from this position even though that hasn’t been instant. Yesterday was a dreadful result but the performance carried some signs of hope and it was better than we watched for most of last season. There’s talk of the big squad and players available but what are we really getting at? We’re still suffering injuries to the first choice team, our second top scorer has gone back, we had three players making either their first league start or first of the season. I’m genuinely confident we’ll improve in time. If that makes me delusional in your eyes then so be it, carry on trying to insinuate you preferred life under Schofield.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on January 14, 2024, 03:17:41 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I didn't and haven't said I preferred life under Schofield. But you have a long history of putting words in my mouth, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I guess it's what you do.

My serious concern is that, even with the current injuries, we have a squad that is objectively as good as or better in pretty much every position than what we had at this point last season, but we have gone backwards, results wise. As I said yesterday, barring one short, decent run several months ago, (when we played all the bottom 3), we have won 13 points in the other 20 games. That worries me greatly. We are unable to be competitive against a string of very, very ordinary sides and for all that I want to agree with you about the long term, I've seen no improvement whatsoever from the start of the season to now.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on January 14, 2024, 03:18:31 pm by pib »

I’m trying to offer an explanation as to why people aren’t perhaps as vociferously wanting to “turf the manager out” as they were last season. Surely you can get your head around the factors that I raised, regardless of whether you agree with them or not?

In the box

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on January 14, 2024, 03:25:26 pm by In the box »
Blind  faith in McCann and all he brings to the club is what’s at the root of this . He has brought in players , staff and has got the backing of the owner . Only time will tell if this faith is to rewarded but how long will it take before even McCann sees that it’s not going to plan ?

So what should change?
The tactics.. ultimately it’s about tactics being strong and aggressive.  Keep positive and patient and don’t  let the opposing team dictate too much . We are often too slow to build into game or we are constantly on the back foot chasing players who want to keep us pend in . Vary the play from short passes to long over the heads of defenders and allow our wingers to pen them in !!

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on January 14, 2024, 03:37:06 pm by BigH »
I didn't and haven't said I preferred life under Schofield. But you have a long history of putting words in my mouth, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I guess it's what you do.

My serious concern is that, even with the current injuries, we have a squad that is objectively as good as or better in pretty much every position than what we had at this point last season, but we have gone backwards, results wise. As I said yesterday, barring one short, decent run several months ago, (when we played all the bottom 3), we have won 13 points in the other 20 games. That worries me greatly. We are unable to be competitive against a string of very, very ordinary sides and for all that I want to agree with you about the long term, I've seen no improvement whatsoever from the start of the season to now.
I think that’s the big concern isn’t it. Much has been made of us having played the top, moneybags sides away. It’d all come good  when we played the dross sides at home wouldn’t it. But it hasn’t panned out like that. We’ve played dreadfully at home against some very average teams and lost. In a couple of cases we’ve been walloped.

I wasn’t a fan of Schofield, the football was awful, but he recognised that we needed to be harder to beat. Whereas GM is still trying to entertain. It’s interesting how we’re seeing similar outcomes but with two different managerial approaches.

GM needs to find a middle route and fast.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on January 14, 2024, 03:46:53 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

I’m trying to offer an explanation as to why people aren’t perhaps as vociferously wanting to “turf the manager out” as they were last season. Surely you can get your head around the factors that I raised, regardless of whether you agree with them or not?
[/quote
Fair enough.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on January 14, 2024, 03:50:44 pm by Chris Black come back »
I think pretty much the only positive this season is that 99pc of the support base is fully behind McCann.

The only way we can address this massive collapse in our credibility as a club is going to be a rebuild for the long-term. We have destroyed what we had (a competitive, top half League One side) over the last couple of seasons. It might take that long to turn this around.

Nobody will want to hear this but assuming we don’t go down, let’s look where we are in the January window next season. If we are still 20th in League Two then McCann has questions to answer.

Let’s stay up, try and get some consistency in performance, results and style of play, then hope we have a good summer.

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on January 14, 2024, 04:33:22 pm by StocksArmy »
For all of you who believe McCann is the Mesiah.. genuine question...... apart from inheriting a very good core group of players from Ferguson and then a promotion with Hull who again had the basis of a fantastic League One after being relegated from the Championship what has he done that warrants such praise from our supporters? What experience has he had in a bebuilding situation before this job landed on him?

Im not at the point of calling for him to be sacked but just very confused as to why he is rated so highly amongst our fans. To put some perspective on the knowledge of some of you.... in previous times when we have been through the process of recruiting a new manager and Steve Evans name (who has far more accolades that GM) has been linked there were some who would rather Weaver come back than have him and some I remember saying wouldn't even renew their season tickets yet last season were screaming for GM to replace DS. Just want to know why GM.

TonySoprano

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on January 14, 2024, 04:46:38 pm by TonySoprano »
So it’s “inexcusable” and you have “no idea what should be done” other than asking others to voice comparable disapproval to last season. Okay, sounds fun and really constructive.
So what's your take on it then ?
Instead of having jibes at people for voicing their opinion ?

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on January 14, 2024, 05:00:33 pm by MachoMadness »
For all of you who believe McCann is the Mesiah.. genuine question...... apart from inheriting a very good core group of players from Ferguson and then a promotion with Hull who again had the basis of a fantastic League One after being relegated from the Championship what has he done that warrants such praise from our supporters? What experience has he had in a bebuilding situation before this job landed on him?

Im not at the point of calling for him to be sacked but just very confused as to why he is rated so highly amongst our fans. To put some perspective on the knowledge of some of you.... in previous times when we have been through the process of recruiting a new manager and Steve Evans name (who has far more accolades that GM) has been linked there were some who would rather Weaver come back than have him and some I remember saying wouldn't even renew their season tickets yet last season were screaming for GM to replace DS. Just want to know why GM.
I'm fairly sure the opposition to Evans specifically has nothing to do with his football record and everything to do with his criminal record.

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on January 14, 2024, 05:03:17 pm by Padge_DRFC »

I'm fairly sure the opposition to Evans specifically has nothing to do with his football record and everything to do with his criminal record.

Didn't Fergie beat his wife up?

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on January 14, 2024, 05:03:49 pm by StocksArmy »

It sure has stopped him making a very good career in football.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on January 14, 2024, 05:07:16 pm by dickos1 »
These posts from Billy are getting more and more confusing everyday.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on January 14, 2024, 05:53:27 pm by MachoMadness »

Didn't Fergie beat his wife up?
Yep. We also spent ages trying to sign Lee Hughes who killed someone, and actually did sign Jimmy Kelly. Doesn't make Evans less of a crook though.

Ryaldinhio

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on January 14, 2024, 06:27:59 pm by Ryaldinhio »
From where we are now it seems mid table will have to do.

It would be nice to get a trip to Wembley in the EFL trophy but that's a long shot with the teams left in it that will start taking it a bit more seriously now. I went last yr to watch Bolton with a friend and regardless of what people think of the competition Wembley is a great day out.

IMO we aren't going to get a better manager than GM and we should stick with him. It takes a manager 3-4 windows to get 'their team' together.

Best in mind not all transfers work out even for the best managers. Pep, Mourinhio, Klopp, Fergie, they have all signed big players that haven't worked out and have moved them on again.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012