Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 04:11:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Toxic chanting?  (Read 6045 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re: Toxic chanting?
« Reply #60 on February 04, 2024, 07:41:08 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
This is why the club is moving swiftly towards non league. We have a large contingent of fans who are happy to just accept how far this club has fallen in 4 seasons. No club in the football league has seen such a demise and our fans get upset with a few chants of TB to sell the club! There should be more of it! Sing up loud and proud lads.

Btw, no comments about how loud the fans were yesterday from the 1st minute! The fans couldn’t do much more yesterday in terms of vocal support and we get served up that crap. It was a bottom half national league game yesterday between 2 very very poor teams. Somehow we looked worse.

Who's buying? Simple question.

People don’t buy things that are not up for sale. Gillingham, Carlisle, two clubs that have had new owners recently because they were up for sale. You are not telling me that those two clubs are more attractive than us for someone who wishes to buy a football club. This “who is buying” comment is utter tosh. If we were publicly up for sale then there would be offers. 

Where do you put it up for sale? ToggerClubsWarehouse.com?

Or should we just put one of them posts up outside the entrance with a For Sale sign on it?

Ebay, mebbe? I've just searched for "Doncaster Rovers" on there and nowt came up, so yeah, Bramhall is lying to us.
Bizarre post, are you really not aware how the club could advertise its up for sale ?

You clearly have zero idea how markets work when the supply is extremely lim...actual, why the f**k am I bothering?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on February 04, 2024, 07:48:42 pm by Chris Black come back »
The chanting and drumming were great and loud but as soon as we conceded the atmosphere changed a bit for some.
That was when the team needed support. Have a gripe at the end, don’t demoralise players still on the pitch if you want them to perform.

More good sense here.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on February 04, 2024, 08:15:24 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
This is why the club is moving swiftly towards non league. We have a large contingent of fans who are happy to just accept how far this club has fallen in 4 seasons. No club in the football league has seen such a demise and our fans get upset with a few chants of TB to sell the club! There should be more of it! Sing up loud and proud lads.

Btw, no comments about how loud the fans were yesterday from the 1st minute! The fans couldn’t do much more yesterday in terms of vocal support and we get served up that crap. It was a bottom half national league game yesterday between 2 very very poor teams. Somehow we looked worse.

People don’t buy things that are not up for sale. Gillingham, Carlisle, two clubs that have had new owners recently because they were up for sale. You are not telling me that those two clubs are more attractive than us for someone who wishes to buy a football club. This “who is buying” comment is utter tosh. If we were publicly up for sale then there would be offers. 

Yes, they were more attractive. The information is out there.

https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2023-01-17/gillingham-football-clubs-new-owner-brad-galinson-promises-to-serve-the-fans

https://therealefl.co.uk/2023/11/23/what-does-the-american-takeover-mean-for-the-future-of-carlisle-united-opinion/

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/wrexham-fc-ryan-reynolds-football-league-b2336288.html

In each case, there was already interest in buying a football club but the prospective owners, or their representatives  visited the clubs, got a feel for what they saw, spoke to fans groups first before making official approaches to the clubs.

There's another common denominator which are the catchment areas the clubs serve and their potential.

So, there could be potential buyers, amongst us at anytime. Do you think they'll be impressed with what they see and hear?

Jimmydee

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on February 04, 2024, 08:56:18 pm by Jimmydee »
Quotes from above.
The chants of we are shit is not supporting the team.
The chants when we score to the opposing fans about they must be shit because weve scored against them are not supporting the team.

It’s horrible to hear.

I’m looking at these chants from a different angle, I think that these chants are known as ‘gallows humour’.

Mustapha-Dump

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on February 04, 2024, 11:43:56 pm by Mustapha-Dump »
Yesterday was my 10th away game of the season and I have never once heard a chant to the effect of Bramall being a Kitson, get out of our club and similar yes but nothing of a personal nature. I think as a club, last orders have been called in the last chance saloon and it isn’t a warped or entitled opinion to compare our squad from yesterday with our squad from 4 years ago and argue that we have literally downgraded in every single position, as part of various penny pinching operations. You get what you pay for and we’ve gone from knocking on the door of the championship when Covid arrived to knocking on the door of the national league. If the owners aren’t responsible for that then who is? I don’t honestly know if selling up is necessarily the answer, for a variety of reasons, none less than if TB doesn’t want to then he doesn’t have to, he’s covered losses for as long as I can remember so if he wants to stay then fair enough but for this club to be successful it needs more money going in than at present and if he doesn’t want to provide that… that’s fine, but somebody needs to. Also to play devils advocate it’s not as simple as being for sale, Accrington’s egocentric chairman recently publicly declared the club for sale during a rant about Wrexham, a few months on he has clarified there has been no interest. We are probably quite similarly sized clubs, wether we like that or not, both surrounded by bigger teams with bigger fanbases and better football, so if nobody is interested in buying them then there’s a fair old chance there’s nobody interested in buying us. But it needs more going in to thrive, so maybe an investor or new board member whatever you want to call it, is the way to go?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 11:47:45 pm by Mustapha-Dump »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on February 04, 2024, 11:55:03 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I watched on iFolllow yesterday. The chant "Bramall's a Kitson, get out of our club" was embarrassingly clear to hear.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on February 05, 2024, 07:39:32 am by roversdude »
I cringed and felt genuinely sick when I heard the chants at the game. We were in the seats and my lad was shouting back at the numpties so apologies for anyone who heard bad language

Mustapha-Dump

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on February 05, 2024, 08:09:23 am by Mustapha-Dump »
I watched on iFolllow yesterday. The chant "Bramall's a Kitson, get out of our club" was embarrassingly clear to hear.

Pretty crazy that I was stood bang in the middle of the away end and didn’t hear it, but people presumably 200 miles away watching on a dodgy link could hear it as clear as day, very strange indeed.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on February 05, 2024, 08:20:55 am by NickDRFC »

Pretty crazy that I was stood bang in the middle of the away end and didn’t hear it, but people presumably 200 miles away watching on a dodgy link could hear it as clear as day, very strange indeed.

Or maybe those singing it were close to a microphone? Ifollow itself is hardly a dodgy link, even if those watching from the UK will be using one.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on February 05, 2024, 08:25:44 am by Alan Southstand »
MD:

But it needs more going in to thrive, so maybe an investor or new board member whatever you want to call it, is the way to go?

Mr Bramall was asked a direct question about getting someone in to help him with finances and he knocked it back, saying it could cause confusion (maybe not quite the right word, but near enough). He explained he was happy putting in what he had to and that has us at a L2 mid-table budget. His hope was the team could out-perform where the budget puts them!

We’re finding out where that’s getting us. I don’t think the man is for turning though, as he comes across, imho, as a stubborn sort. It will help the Club, in the short term, if we can get some of the seemingly permanently injured players off the books, but we have seriously look at some quality, rather than quantity, if we’re still in this league next season. And I’m not confident about that outcome - not in the slightest.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on February 05, 2024, 08:26:17 am by Ldr »

Or maybe those singing it were close to a microphone? Ifollow itself is hardly a dodgy link, even if those watching from the UK will be using one.

I watched on ifollow and heard what sounded like “Terry Bramall get out of our club” but nothing more personal than that

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on February 05, 2024, 08:38:58 am by Avsuptem »
I watched on a legitimate Ifollow link from 4,000 miles away but did not hear the chants but that might be because I was ranting too much mesen.

My take on all this is that whereas it is understandable that fans vent at the owners there is no justification for foul abuse. I do believe we, the fans, have been systematically and expertly misled by spin, fake promises and obfuscation ever since JR departed [Cue Silent Majority to leap to the defense of the Board]. Like others on here if I had the funds that our Chairman has I would not be putting it into charities, the conservative party or trying to buy a knighthood. What I would be doing is giving back a decent proportion of the money I had made from the public purse of Doncaster and its environs to sustain a football club we can be proud of. I would also be attending every game in person like a true football fan. But none of this means that TB does not deserve to be treated with respect for his custodianship of the club or that any one of us has any right to spend someone else's money. It's only governments that can do that and wives.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 08:43:18 am by Avsuptem »

Mustapha-Dump

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on February 05, 2024, 09:02:31 am by Mustapha-Dump »

Or maybe it just wasn’t sung? I find it hard to believe that words that wouldn’t even fit into a song were going on all around me and I didn’t hear them but someone watching on tv did? The media cameras at Sutton were above one side of the home fans, the media commentary team were sat over across the other side above a different side of home fans, but the microphone was close to the away fans? No chance on earth those stars have all aligned.

Mustapha-Dump

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on February 05, 2024, 09:03:47 am by Mustapha-Dump »
MD:

But it needs more going in to thrive, so maybe an investor or new board member whatever you want to call it, is the way to go?

Mr Bramall was asked a direct question about getting someone in to help him with finances and he knocked it back, saying it could cause confusion (maybe not quite the right word, but near enough). He explained he was happy putting in what he had to and that has us at a L2 mid-table budget. His hope was the team could out-perform where the budget puts them!

We’re finding out where that’s getting us. I don’t think the man is for turning though, as he comes across, imho, as a stubborn sort. It will help the Club, in the short term, if we can get some of the seemingly permanently injured players off the books, but we have seriously look at some quality, rather than quantity, if we’re still in this league next season. And I’m not confident about that outcome - not in the slightest.

Thank you for the info Alan, I didn’t know that. Probably does away with my idea quite quickly then.

Reg of the Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on February 05, 2024, 09:08:39 am by Reg of the Rovers »
It's similar to what happened at Harrogate away at a similar point last season - an excessive outpouring of emotion.

The issue is the message - at Harrogate away lots and lots of fans had reached the end of their tethers - and Schofield (in retrospect wrongly) and completely excessively bore the brunt of that.

We're at a similar point where ends of tethers have been reached - we can now see that even a proven manager can't make it work - so the problem must be elsewhere.

Calling anyone a c*** is completely inappropriate, but like Harrogate away 22/23, it would be dangerous to dismiss as drunken idiots and kids - fans are fast running out of patience.

I don't have the answer - although sacking McCann and/or the Board isn't the answer - but something has to change for our club.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on February 05, 2024, 09:35:40 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »

I don't disagree there would be offers and probably has been.  But you also have to hope we go for the right one. Me or you could put an offer in tomorrow but it'd be pointless.

I absolutely agree it's time to see a change but it has to be the right change.  Until we have a viable alternative we should be careful what we wish for.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on February 05, 2024, 09:38:57 am by adamtherover »

Or maybe it just wasn’t sung? I find it hard to believe that words that wouldn’t even fit into a song were going on all around me and I didn’t hear them but someone watching on tv did? The media cameras at Sutton were above one side of the home fans, the media commentary team were sat over across the other side above a different side of home fans, but the microphone was close to the away fans? No chance on earth those stars have all aligned.
it was loud as anything and repeated often,  I was just to the right of the goal... Do you think I'd make this shit up ffs

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on February 05, 2024, 09:44:32 am by turnbull for england »
The Sutton match commentators mentioned it on I player , something along lines of the rovers fans are now singing rather colourfully about their opinions on the owners. And on them , a pair of more biased commentators would b hard to find , but even they thought the second penalty appeal was nailed on

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on February 05, 2024, 09:55:14 am by silent majority »
MD:

Alan, I’m not sure how many more times I have to point this out but TB did not say we had a mid-table budget, he said we had a top half budget.

Avsuptem,

If people keep spreading false rumours/facts/data about the club then I’ll keep pointing out that they’re wrong. If we are going to debate the future of the club it should be done on correct data and not based on what we hope does the most damage.

Mustapha-Dump

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on February 05, 2024, 10:05:20 am by Mustapha-Dump »

it was loud as anything and repeated often,  I was just to the right of the goal... Do you think I'd make this shit up ffs

Yes on this occasion I think you are making it up. I refuse to believe this was ‘loud as anything’ and ‘repeated often’ a couple of meters away from me and I’ve completely missed it. If you don’t like the criticism of the board then that’s fine to not like it, but describing it as something that it wasn’t isn’t going to help anybody.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on February 05, 2024, 11:29:35 am by Alan Southstand »
SM:

Alan, I’m not sure how many more times I have to point this out but TB did not say we had a mid-table budget, he said we had a top half budget.

I was at the MTO and quite close to the front and I heard what I heard. I know there’s a video of the event, so maybe it can be checked.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on February 05, 2024, 11:35:17 am by adamtherover »

Yes on this occasion I think you are making it up. I refuse to believe this was ‘loud as anything’ and ‘repeated often’ a couple of meters away from me and I’ve completely missed it. If you don’t like the criticism of the board then that’s fine to not like it, but describing it as something that it wasn’t isn’t going to help anybody.

so even tho another poster has said the ifollow commentators said about our chairmen being talked about in colourful language, you still refuse to believe it, out of interest, whats my game plan if as you say, im making this up, what am i trying to achieve by pointing out we have a section of fans that are knuckleheads? , you sir are a piece of work!! Good day!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 11:46:00 am by adamtherover »

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on February 05, 2024, 11:45:21 am by silent majority »
SM:

I was at the MTO and quite close to the front and I heard what I heard. I know there’s a video of the event, so maybe it can be checked.

Yep, check the video, I know what he said too!!

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on February 05, 2024, 11:54:06 am by Canadian Rover »
Terry said: Our playing budget has been above halfway in the league.

He also mentioned that over half a million in the past year has been spent on injured players which is crazy if you think about it.

In my opinion amongst all the drama and poor performances the injuries have been horrendous at the club, which has certainly been a huge factor in our recent downfall

Scooter

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on February 05, 2024, 12:23:46 pm by Scooter »

I was just behind the right hand goal post and definitely heard the offensive chanting about Bramall. Only by a very small minority though but defo happened

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on February 05, 2024, 12:30:01 pm by idler »
I was in the middle of the goal at the front and heard the chanting but I was trying to concentrate on the game.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on February 05, 2024, 12:33:50 pm by roversdude »
Heard from the seats next to the stand

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on February 05, 2024, 12:41:02 pm by adamtherover »
but lads, lads,  Mr DUMP  (strangely apt name, as he talks a lot of....) didnt hear it, so even tho we have numerous accounts of the incident from folk with zero agenda to be had, it obvioously didnt happen as he didnt hear it.   For what its worth, i didnt hear a lot of what went off at harrogate last yr, doesnt mean it didnt happen?.  Time to put this to bed i think... 

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on February 05, 2024, 12:48:52 pm by JonWallsend »
These chants around our failings as a team, inability to score goals etc could be seen as self deprecating or gallows humour, however a bit like still driving around with a red nose on the front of your car, they are passe, unnecessary  and embarrassing.

That said, it's mostly daft kids doing the chanting and we all do daft and embarrassing  things when we're kids.

I think personal abuse, as is alleged was heard on Saturday, crosses  a line and is just unacceptable.

I am however very much a 'happy clapper.' I never boo the players  off. It's a personal choice. I never have and never will as I don't see the point. I know the players will be aware that 3rd bottom, getting beat 5 at home by Morecambe  and Stockport isn't  good enough and are not oblivious  until a chorus of boos brings them to their senses. Again this isn't  a unique Rovers thing.

I guess it depends on how you view your relationship with the club and football  in general. Consumers, as some fans undoubtedly see themselves, pay their money and feel they have a right to be entertained. I am amazed at the amount of bile people spew towards the players club etc sometimes, and I think you've  travelled an hour and half in the freezing cold just  to be angry and negative.

I don't  however think you can change that much, similarly you can't  change my attitude  of do your best and I will  appreciate  it, clap and understand  that, for great swathes of my supporting life we won't  be very good.

Neither way is necessarily correct, it's just how we are as people and society but I feel my way is less stressful on myself.

The one thing I would  say is that  a lot of the criticism I hear at games comes from people who have obviously never had an understanding of the game or an appreciation of just how difficult  it is to make it as a professional  footballer or feel that because they have played on a Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning they can pass judgement. I hear  players getting  pilloried for misplaced  passes  etc at a match and think would you boo someone for  playing  and missing at a cricket match, for misfielding,  for knocking on in a rugby game, missing a simple red in a snooker game. I doubt it.
It seems football and its fans have their own rules. I don't think they are helpful to the common objective of better performances on the pitch.

Then again, I've been watching  50 years and always been like this. Maybe  I've got it wrong and need to move with  the times.

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on February 05, 2024, 01:17:45 pm by RoversInSpain »
These chants around our failings as a team, inability to score goals etc could be seen as self deprecating or gallows humour, however a bit like still driving around with a red nose on the front of your car, they are passe, unnecessary  and embarrassing.

That said, it's mostly daft kids doing the chanting and we all do daft and embarrassing  things when we're kids.

I think personal abuse, as is alleged was heard on Saturday, crosses  a line and is just unacceptable.

I am however very much a 'happy clapper.' I never boo the players  off. It's a personal choice. I never have and never will as I don't see the point. I know the players will be aware that 3rd bottom, getting beat 5 at home by Morecambe  and Stockport isn't  good enough and are not oblivious  until a chorus of boos brings them to their senses. Again this isn't  a unique Rovers thing.

I guess it depends on how you view your relationship with the club and football  in general. Consumers, as some fans undoubtedly see themselves, pay their money and feel they have a right to be entertained. I am amazed at the amount of bile people spew towards the players club etc sometimes, and I think you've  travelled an hour and half in the freezing cold just  to be angry and negative.

I don't  however think you can change that much, similarly you can't  change my attitude  of do your best and I will  appreciate  it, clap and understand  that, for great swathes of my supporting life we won't  be very good.

Neither way is necessarily correct, it's just how we are as people and society but I feel my way is less stressful on myself.

The one thing I would  say is that  a lot of the criticism I hear at games comes from people who have obviously never had an understanding of the game or an appreciation of just how difficult  it is to make it as a professional  footballer or feel that because they have played on a Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning they can pass judgement. I hear  players getting  pilloried for misplaced  passes  etc at a match and think would you boo someone for  playing  and missing at a cricket match, for misfielding,  for knocking on in a rugby game, missing a simple red in a snooker game. I doubt it.
It seems football and its fans have their own rules. I don't think they are helpful to the common objective of better performances on the pitch.

Then again, I've been watching  50 years and always been like this. Maybe  I've got it wrong and need to move with  the times.
Well said!
Don’t move with the times, please!
When I watch a premier league game on TV and an opposing player trots over to take a corner, the horrendous gesturing, abuse and shear hatred the home supporters display is absolutely horrific and sickening. As you say can you imagine in any other sport that occurring? No, so why football?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012