Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 27, 2024, 10:08:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Poll

With recent performances would you be willing to offer him another year’s contract

Review at end of the season
38 (35.8%)
Yes if he maintains current form until season end
42 (39.6%)
Shake hands at season end and wish him well for his future
14 (13.2%)
No contract offer as there must be a strong & younger alternative
6 (5.7%)
Offer him a deal until Christmas and review it new year 2025
6 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Author Topic: Richard Wood  (Read 2776 times)

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
Richard Wood
« on February 12, 2024, 06:20:58 pm by Branton Rover »
Given that he’s not played the amount of games he would’ve wanted, ironically it might not have shoved him too far over the proverbial hill.  Personally after thinking about it, I would go down the road of a six month contract and review in the new year based on the amount of games

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Spud

• VSC Member
Re: Richard Wood
« Reply #1 on February 12, 2024, 06:27:13 pm by Spud »
Yes, if he's cheap enough tbh.
No doubting he's capable of doing a job if fit, or developing the younger cb's.

craigdrfc

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on February 12, 2024, 06:46:44 pm by craigdrfc »
Depends on wage and overall expectations. Assuming he maintains good form and fitness from now and end of season I’d be tempted to offer him a 1 year deal and maybe bring him into the defensive coaching set-up.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on February 12, 2024, 07:18:50 pm by Alan Southstand »
Make him player/defensive coach.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on February 12, 2024, 07:32:20 pm by Chris Black come back »
Given that he’s not played the amount of games he would’ve wanted, ironically it might not have shoved him too far over the proverbial hill.  Personally after thinking about it, I would go down the road of a six month contract and review in the new year based on the amount of games

He’s not going to take a 6 month deal. Go through yet another gruelling pre-season but with only a few months guaranteed? Can’t see that.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on February 12, 2024, 08:00:17 pm by GazLaz »
I think he will retire anyway.

hamiltonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on February 12, 2024, 08:15:41 pm by hamiltonrover »
On the fence, what he does bring is leadership, Accrington away in the cup he was constantly talking to all those around him, which we’ve seen more of in recent games. In a team that’s drastically lacking in leadership on the pitch, I’m swaying towards a yes, providing he maintains the form of the last few games.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on February 12, 2024, 08:31:08 pm by wilts rover »
Can we get anyone any better, and who would be more of a long-term prospect, on the same wages?

That's the question the club/McCann has to answer?

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 12, 2024, 08:47:11 pm by Branton Rover »
I think he’s done wonders for Olowu, who looks much more like his old self. When Joseph played alongside Anderson he didn’t perform as well. It’s basically if Woody wants to commit himself again to another season as a pro. Maybe he might be tempted if he his able to combine roles by working alongside Frank Sinclair and the youngsters.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on February 12, 2024, 08:54:20 pm by Chris Black come back »
It's definitely been better but last two game have been against two really not good sides.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 12, 2024, 09:01:01 pm by ncRover »
I think we’re forgetting he’s spent half the season out injured when he is normally injury free. That’s a warning sign.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 12, 2024, 09:05:08 pm by Nudga »
I reckon he'll have a coaching job lined up at Rotherham

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on February 12, 2024, 09:22:11 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Much will depend on him. He will know full well, he'll have to perform to the end of the season to warrant the offer of fresh terms, if he's wanting to extend his playing career any further.

He's not young  he's not naive, and neither is McCann. I'm sure at some point, there will be a man to man conversation. 

Far too early to be offering anything at this stage

Northants Nomad

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 12, 2024, 09:23:46 pm by Northants Nomad »
Needs to assess the balance of youth versus experience across the back line and the squad. It’s not just about what he brings to the game, it’s also about what he allows and makes others bring to their own games. So my vote goes for yes if he maintains it, but also assuming it fits with a balanced team - the best decisions are never those done in isolation.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on February 12, 2024, 09:26:37 pm by andyst79 »

I think we’re forgetting he’s spent half the season out injured when he is normally injury free. That’s a warning sign.

Didn't stop us offering Taylor or Anderson new deals

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on February 12, 2024, 10:05:39 pm by danumdon »
We have a very young squad, with the possibility of more to come at the end of the season, If its not to be him then we do need experience for the youngsters to learn from. I bit like Copps last year where he would of been the old wise head in the room.

If he can maintain fitness and form till the end of the year and the price is right then it would be mad to not renew. I'd take him on a player coach role.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on February 12, 2024, 10:29:01 pm by Chris Black come back »
A player coach role exists only in the minds of supporters. You can’t credibly be both.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on February 12, 2024, 10:43:42 pm by danumdon »
A player coach role exists only in the minds of supporters. You can’t credibly be both.

When your a club playing in the very bottom tier of English professional football (and not to cleverly at that) with limited resources you will take anything that's deemed half creditable.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on February 12, 2024, 10:47:20 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

Didn't stop us offering Taylor or Anderson new deals

Exactly. Time to learn our lesson.

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on February 13, 2024, 12:28:45 am by Move DRFC »
Say thanks and see ya later.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on February 13, 2024, 05:46:13 am by dickos1 »
It's definitely been better but last two game have been against two really not good sides.

Against Bradford he was very good too.
Tranmere over the last 10 games have been in very good form so bit harsh today they’re not very good

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on February 13, 2024, 07:36:22 am by drfcsteve »
Offering him a deal would be typical rovers. A few good games after half the season injured and some fans act like it’s a no brainer to sign him up again! Don’t forget even if he is fully fit he can’t play every game, he’s nearly 40.

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on February 13, 2024, 09:04:51 am by Upton Rover »
One or two decent performances of late from him, however silly to be thinking of any new contracts offered to RW or anyone, 16 games to go and every single player has a lot to prove before thinking of new contracts.

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on February 13, 2024, 11:28:44 am by RoversInSpain »
Our defensive record goals conceded and injury wise shows we must let all our CB’s go, with exception of McGrath and Faulkner.
Letting them go and also Rowe and Taylor would give us plenty of wage budget to get 2 quality CB’s in, which I hope have already been identified.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on February 13, 2024, 11:40:21 am by ncRover »
Offering him a deal would be typical rovers. A few good games after half the season injured and some fans act like it’s a no brainer to sign him up again! Don’t forget even if he is fully fit he can’t play every game, he’s nearly 40.

And we still have Tom Anderson for next year.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on February 13, 2024, 12:45:49 pm by Chris Black come back »

I agree with this. We need to be totally rebuilding the central defence. Wood has been good and is probably out best performing centre back but we need to be using this summer to buy players that will be with us for 2-3 years ahead at least. Olowu and Anderson have at various points been very good for us but it’s probably time for us both to part ways. We need two brand new senior centre backs, who can compete with McGrath and Faulkner. We have had a terrible defensive unit for years and we need to be starting from scratch, not trying yet again to make it work with the same parts.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on February 13, 2024, 02:20:30 pm by steve@dcfd »
Anderson and Olowu will still be under contract into next season along with Faulkner and McGrath so there will have some wheeling and dealing to get them off our books. It will be up to the club and player if he stays or goes. Extra funds will be required to bring players in even if non contract ones leave. From GK to CH FBs and midfield and forwards we will have to make difficult decisions and yet again the right money for the right players will be an issue.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on February 13, 2024, 02:54:39 pm by Alan Southstand »
The department that needs a major overhaul is the midfield, which will be possible, come the summer. Close, Biggins and Rowe will be o.o.c. and Craig will return to Spurs. Taylor will also be gone and (possibly) Molyneux? Even Westbrooke’s contract was only 1 year, so he’ll be looking either for an extension or a new Club!

That leaves us with Bailey (who’s a utility player, really),Broadbent and Hurst. Unless I’m mistaken, of course. Surely, if we survive this season, we’ll be looking for some robustness to replace those leaving?

swain_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on February 13, 2024, 02:56:49 pm by swain_drfc »
Let’s see how he does tonight against Matt Smith. If he can stop him scoring against us for what feels like the 150th time then he deserves another year.

Dabbermoo

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on February 13, 2024, 03:08:31 pm by Dabbermoo »

Why should Faulkner stay?? I seriously don't get the fascination with him at all, he has done nothing this season at all, is not a proven league 2 player at all and hardly even makes the bench when fit, also no clubs were banging the door down to sign him in Jan from the usual lower leagues so how is he the messiah? Granted injuries haven't helped him but when fit he is still left on the bench which I think will prove that GM doesn't rate him as highly as the fans do and has no trust in him.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 04:07:55 pm by Dabbermoo »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012