Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:45:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: We're in Recession. Oh Dear  (Read 1567 times)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Re: We're in Recession. Oh Dear
« Reply #30 on February 16, 2024, 08:07:11 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
What's needed are higher taxes on the rich to curb their spending and stop money leaking out of the country to offshores. THAT'S how you manage inflation without a recession.

The rich don't really spend. There are too few of them to make a difference anyway. What the rich do in an inflationary environment like this, is sit back and let their wealth accumulate at 5% thereabouts.

It's not even rich people doing that, it's the middle incomes up doing it.  Until interest rates fall that won't change.  The cost of borrowing to purchase anything is massive and is a big drag on growth.  The time to cut interest rates is here and you'll hear that very loudly politically I suspect.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on February 16, 2024, 09:29:45 am by River Don »
What's needed are higher taxes on the rich to curb their spending and stop money leaking out of the country to offshores. THAT'S how you manage inflation without a recession.

The rich don't really spend. There are too few of them to make a difference anyway. What the rich do in an inflationary environment like this, is sit back and let their wealth accumulate at 5% thereabouts.

It's not even rich people doing that, it's the middle incomes up doing it.  Until interest rates fall that won't change.  The cost of borrowing to purchase anything is massive and is a big drag on growth.  The time to cut interest rates is here and you'll hear that very loudly politically I suspect.

I shouldn't worry too much about this. The rate of inflation is falling quite rapidly now. Gary Stevenson expects interest rates to be back to around 3% in the next year or so, assuming there is no major disruption. I see no reason to think he's not right. In fact I think it's quite possible interest rates will be back to rock bottom soon. Take the impact of the pandemic and Ukraine war away and the economy hasn't changed. As the effects of these things falls away, I'd expect things to back to a low growth environment with very low interest rates.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on February 16, 2024, 11:24:35 am by ncRover »
If this is indeed only a temporary recession as predicted, then we won’t see a general election called any time soon.

Sunak needs another 2 quarters of growth (which will be glacial pace) and then he can say we’re out of a recession and his gov guided us through it.

DRFC_AjA

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on February 16, 2024, 02:02:13 pm by DRFC_AjA »
So in conclusion....Labour are rubbish, Cons are rubbish, Europe is rubbish, Brexit is rubbish

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on February 16, 2024, 02:07:58 pm by danumdon »
If this is indeed only a temporary recession as predicted, then we won’t see a general election called any time soon.

Sunak needs another 2 quarters of growth (which will be glacial pace) and then he can say we’re out of a recession and his gov guided us through it.

I don't think Sunak is in any position to say anything about the economy with a straight face, he's a dead man walking and surely knows it.

If he actually did know this then where are the transformative and relieving policies that will get this country moving again?

Labour has already shown that it just can't make its mind up about anything, never mind something as important as the economy.

We really are up shit creek without a paddle with these pale imitations of a serious political party, this country is crying out for blue sky thinking and proper leadership.

Nothing on the horizon to say anything is imminent. What a mess.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on February 16, 2024, 08:21:47 pm by belton rover »
Thankfully, it will all be over soon, won’t it?
I can’t wait.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on February 16, 2024, 09:37:04 pm by SydneyRover »
It fits quite neatly here too, aye?

Following years of Austerity, some decided it would be a good idea to elect a disreputable liar to office. Things have been travelling downhill at an ever increasing rate since then.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on February 16, 2024, 10:23:06 pm by Bentley Bullet »

Following years of Austerity, some decided it would be a good idea to elect a disreputable liar to office. Things have been travelling downhill at an ever increasing rate since then.
Yeah, people should have voted for a terrorist sympathiser with thick-as-mince foreign policies instead.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on February 16, 2024, 10:25:13 pm by SydneyRover »

Yeah, people should have voted for a terrorist sympathiser with thick-as-mince foreign policies instead.

That's what I just said, no?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on February 16, 2024, 10:29:50 pm by SydneyRover »
I can see that you are pissed at the state of the economy, not helped at all by the tories and at the byelection results bb, suck it up.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on February 16, 2024, 10:42:53 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I can sort of agree with you regarding the state of the economy not being helped by the byelection results, when considering it more or less confirms we'll have a Labour Party in charge shortly, meaning the state of the economy will only get worse.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on February 16, 2024, 10:47:56 pm by SydneyRover »
I can sort of agree with you regarding the state of the economy not being helped by the byelection results, when considering it more or less confirms we'll have a Labour Party in charge shortly, meaning the state of the economy will only get worse.

You're a bit sad bb, along with a few others on here by wishing the worst on the country because it hasn't worked out as you'd hoped.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on February 16, 2024, 10:51:41 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Very sad SydneyRover, after all, it won't affect you, but it will affect us poor buggers who actually live here.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on February 16, 2024, 10:55:26 pm by SydneyRover »
Very sad SydneyRover, after all, it won't affect you, but it will affect us poor buggers who actually live here.

so why do you wish for it, that's the bit that hard to understand, maybe discuss it with your like minded friends.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on February 16, 2024, 11:45:18 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I can't help the disaster I believe we are going to face under Keir Starmer, so I'm just making the best of it. I make the best of a horrific prospect by looking forward at least to saying "I told you so" when everything goes tits up.

I believe Keir Starmer will go down in history as being the last Labour Party Prime Minister.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on February 16, 2024, 11:48:26 pm by SydneyRover »
I can't help the disaster I believe we are going to face under Keir Starmer, so I'm just making the best of it. I make the best of a horrific prospect by looking forward at least to saying "I told you so" when everything goes tits up.

I believe Keir Starmer will go down in history as being the last Labour Party Prime Minister.

Maybe compare the above to all your other falsities, predictions and accusations. That should tell you if you are anywhere near the mark.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on February 16, 2024, 11:52:32 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Sydney, I gave you a chance to have a proper grown-up conversation and you blew it.

No more conversations between us.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on February 16, 2024, 11:55:25 pm by SydneyRover »
Sydney, I gave you a chance to have a proper grown-up conversation and you blew it.

No more conversations between us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CizwH_T7pjg (a reminder from Marina Hyde)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on February 17, 2024, 12:08:52 am by SydneyRover »

If this is your idea of a conversation, I'll take the shit sandwich instead bb, you are a sore loser and the race is not over yet, aye?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on February 17, 2024, 05:10:01 am by drfchound »

If this is your idea of a conversation, I'll take the shit sandwich instead bb, you are a sore loser and the race is not over yet, aye?

Sore loser?
That is a bit rich coming from you Syd.
Jeez, off topic has been full or those for the last 14 years.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on February 17, 2024, 09:20:19 am by wilts rover »

Brought to you by the poster who never ever criticised Alexander de Pfeffel Johnson for anything he did as PM. And has yet to do with Sunak.

Forgive us if we totally ignore your judgment and analysis.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on February 17, 2024, 09:31:55 am by Bentley Bullet »

Brought to you by the poster who never ever criticised Alexander de Pfeffel Johnson for anything he did as PM. And has yet to do with Sunak.

Us? We? Who's "Us"? Who's "We"?  Are they the handful of people who you rely on to back you up?

« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 09:34:03 am by Bentley Bullet »

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on February 17, 2024, 10:36:16 pm by SydneyRover »

Us? We? Who's "Us"? Who's "We"?  Are they the handful of people who you rely on to back you up?

A fantasist, a poet and a parrot walked into a bar .................

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on February 18, 2024, 03:01:15 am by SydneyRover »
The fantasist said ‘labour will crash and burn’

the poet said ‘that is what I yearn’

the parrot said ‘Polly wants a cracker’

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on March 13, 2024, 10:35:46 am by ncRover »

Economy grew very slightly in January (0.2%).

The Bank of England expected the UK to fall in to its “longest ever recession” as reported by the BBC last November.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on March 13, 2024, 11:13:38 am by selby »
  Careful, there will be posters on here on suicide watch, and the flying doctor is on standby.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on March 13, 2024, 11:22:41 am by Colemans Left Hook »
  Careful, there will be posters on here on suicide watch, and the flying doctor is on standby.

Strange that ....  I mentioned the Flying Doctor the other day to Mrs Coleman  ..... as usual it will go above Sid's head

The next Labour Government will be operating "on a wing and a prayer,"

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on March 13, 2024, 12:14:11 pm by Sprotyrover »
Wilts and co have my deepest sympathy, is there an Aussie version of Andy’s man club for poor little Syd all on his own?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012