Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 08:30:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Another PM going?  (Read 3347 times)

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
Re: Another PM going?
« Reply #30 on March 14, 2024, 06:17:15 pm by Iberian Red »
"!+"?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on March 14, 2024, 07:24:36 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
"!+"?

is that the modern notation for "imaginary numbers"

An imaginary number is a real number multiplied by the imaginary unit i, which is defined by its property i = −1. The square of an imaginary number bi is −b . For example, 5i is an imaginary number, and its square is −25. The number zero is considered to be both real and imaginary

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on March 14, 2024, 07:55:39 pm by ravenrover »
It's like the new football formation 4 4 2 0

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on March 14, 2024, 08:39:47 pm by scawsby steve »
"!+"?

An imaginary number is a real number multiplied by the imaginary unit i, which is defined by its property i = −1. The square of an imaginary number bi is −b . For example, 5i is an imaginary number, and its square is −25. The number zero is considered to be both real and imaginary

That's it. I'm off for a f*cking lie down. Anyone got any Diazepam?

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on March 14, 2024, 08:56:31 pm by ncRover »
"!+"?

I think CLH only has LSD :lol:

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on March 14, 2024, 09:00:19 pm by wilts rover »
"!+"?

I think CLH only has LSD :lol:

He has a lot more than that - he's got the whole alphabet! Twice over!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on March 16, 2024, 10:36:34 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Telegraph reporting that there's a group of right wing Tory MPs manoeuvring to replace Sunak with Penny Mordaunt.

What was it Andy Warhol said? "In the future, every Tory MP will be Prime Minister for 15 minutes" wasn't it?

Branton Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on March 16, 2024, 10:58:38 am by Branton Red »
Telegraph reporting that there's a group of right wing Tory MPs manoeuvring to replace Sunak with Penny Mordaunt.

What was it Andy Warhol said? "In the future, every Tory MP will be Prime Minister for 15 minutes" wasn't it?

Interesting.

They should have picked Mordaunt in the first place when replacing Johnson (I did say so at the time not hindsight).

The real significance is should Mordaunt become PM and lead the Tories into the GE, assuming they're not completely wiped out and she can improve their current poll rating, she would in all likelihood continue as Tory leader post GE in opposition - blocking the likes of Badenoch and Braverman.

It's surprising that right wingers are contemplating this move therefore ahead of potentially taking control of the Tory party going forwards.

Are they more interested in protecting their own seats and jobs in the short term maybe?

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on March 16, 2024, 11:36:49 am by tyke1962 »
The Tories have become a party of too many factions which ironically is something Labour have suffered from many times over .

The unification leader is something they really haven't had since Thatcher .

You can get away with a divided party in Tory world just as long as you win power or retain power but when that no longer becomes the case they fight like rats in a sack .

It's often said that Tories put the Conservative Party before the country and in my opinion that's totally true .

They can hide that in better times but not when things are as they are today .

Saying that it would be foolish to write them off totally and I sense an opening may come to them in opposition .

If Braverman becomes leader it may unify them with Reform UK and they then roll out what's known as National Conservatism which has had many people shaking their head in bewilderment which is fine but they laughed at Keith Joseph and Thatcher too in the mid 70's and we all know how that played out they could then be a serious threat to Labour if Labour don't make a real fist of their term in power .

The Right aren't going away anytime soon , that much I do know .

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on March 16, 2024, 11:52:29 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Final paragraph BR.

They are looking at potential wipeout in the Election. I said last night that they are not on 18% in the polls at the moment. But they have been going down steadily for 4 years now.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election_after_2019_(LOESS).svg

There's peaks and troughs there of course. The got a boost when people rallied to the leader at the start of the pandemic, and when they did a decent job on the vaccine rollout. They got a big hit when they elected a mentally ill PM. But the trend is clear. They've gone down steadily from 45% in early 2020 to 25% now.

If that carries on and they hang on till December or January, they could be down to 20-22% or so.

That's a critical level in FPTP elections. That's where absolute annihilation, and the prospect of only winning 50-80-ish seats becomes very real. That's what Labour were looking at 6 months from the 2019 election, after they'd totally alienated that bulk of their support due to Corbyn finally coming out as a Brexit supporter.

Labour had a way of averting absolute calamity, by going for Ref2 and bringing back several million supporters who had switched to the LDs and Greens. (I know you don't agree, but it's really unarguable from the polling data throughout 2019.)

The Tories don't have that card in this election. There is literally no policy they can pull out of a hat that will attract 2-3million extra voters in the way that Ref2 did for Labour in 2019.

They can go full on Farage on race and immigration. And they'll lose centre-Right voters.

They can try to go One Nation style. Maybe admit that the Rwanda policy is batshit, immoral, ineffective and should be ditched. But no-one in the centre will believe they mean it. And the racists still on the Right of the Tory party will flock to Anderson and Farage.

So they are shitting themselves. Looking round for any idea at all. And they have landed on someone whose only merit appears to be that she looked good holding a sword at Charlie's coronation.

That sums up how bereft they are of anything to offer the country.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on March 16, 2024, 11:57:57 am by BillyStubbsTears »
While we are talking about Mordaunt, you have to be impressed at the quality of graphics in AI-generated videos these days. This looks just like Mordaunt. But they've got some way to go to get the words right because this sounds like a comedy parody of a politician giving a speech.

https://twitter.com/mikegalsworthy/status/1709525469576495390/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1709525469576495390&currentTweetUser=mikegalsworthy

Branton Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on March 16, 2024, 01:26:33 pm by Branton Red »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election_after_2019_(LOESS).svg

Has there ever been a more ineffective (not a worse one - specifically ineffective) Prime Minister than Rishi Sunak?

I can't think of one.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on March 16, 2024, 02:52:17 pm by tommy toes »
I'm ashamed to say I buy the Express on a Saturday, (Mrs T likes the telemag and the cryptic crossword)
I have a read to see how the other half live and spit vitriol at Carol Malone, but today their political editor has a right go at Sunak, even saying he leads a zombie government.
Summats afoot.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on March 16, 2024, 03:06:50 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

Interesting.

They should have picked Mordaunt in the first place when replacing Johnson (I did say so at the time not hindsight).

The real significance is should Mordaunt become PM and lead the Tories into the GE, assuming they're not completely wiped out and she can improve their current poll rating, she would in all likelihood continue as Tory leader post GE in opposition - blocking the likes of Badenoch and Braverman.

It's surprising that right wingers are contemplating this move therefore ahead of potentially taking control of the Tory party going forwards.

Are they more interested in protecting their own seats and jobs in the short term maybe?
Iv'e got money on a certain somebody at around 420/1 to be the next lTory Leader and it's not a woman  and he's in the top five now so I have some very serious decisions to make about gardening -hedging   

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on March 16, 2024, 03:10:06 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I don't particularly rate Sunak. He is slow to read developing political problems and both his economic and social policies are horrendous. He's fully signed up to the Culture War front that the Tory Right are insisting on.

But.

I'm not sure anyone could have done better.

The Tories simply do not have a functional economic policy to offer to the country.

They don't have any positive philosophy of society to offer.

They clung on to Brexit, not from any philosophical principle, but because it served their electoral purposes. It allowed them to divide their opponents and sweep to power in 2019.

But now that's done (well, it isn't, and never will be, but that's irrelevant now - the anti-EU folk got their dopamine hit when we formally left) they have nothing left other than full on foreigner/immigrant/non-tradional sexuality bashing.

That's not Sunak's fault. He's just the one left holding the reins of the hollowed out husk of what used to be a proud political party.

The next few years are truly existential for the Tories. They cannot exist as a serious party by only appealing to bigots and racists. But they have to find something else to offer. And personally, I don't see anything.

As I say, that's not Sunak's fault. But I don't see any sign of him being able to solve it.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on March 16, 2024, 05:55:17 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
Tories will get hammered in the locals and GE. No one in their right mind would want to be tory leader into nor after the election. Sunak then is the fall guy.

As for beyond that,  it all depends on reform. The tories could disappear, bar for the cheap beer and bingo at their social clubs. It would take a very savvy leader to pick them up and go on to win something in 5 years.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on March 16, 2024, 07:09:09 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Tories will get hammered in the locals and GE. No one in their right mind would want to be tory leader into nor after the election. Sunak then is the fall guy.

As for beyond that,  it all depends on reform. The tories could disappear, bar for the cheap beer and bingo at their social clubs. It would take a very savvy leader to pick them up and go on to win something in 5 years.
..... Or an abysmal Labour performance in office.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on March 16, 2024, 07:32:14 pm by Bristol Red Rover »

True, although unlikely to be bad enough to allow a Tory Party, as disintegrated as this one is, time to pull it's pants up. Anyway, the point was that anyone taking on the role is going to be second rate in that they';; almost certainly never be in a race for PM where they stand a chance. Maybe Gove will be that second rate man with authority who'll be up for the temporary post?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on March 17, 2024, 10:28:04 am by ravenrover »

It'll take Labour, if they win, 5 years to sort out the mess this lot are leaving the country in

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on March 17, 2024, 11:03:28 am by Bentley Bullet »
So all your beloved party's blind promises will not be fulfilled unless it is given another bite of the cherry after 5 years of failure!

Exoneration in anticipation of failure!

So, in your world, it's the Tory's fault when they're in power, and the Tory's fault when they're not in power!

I see!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on March 17, 2024, 11:53:08 am by SydneyRover »
To work out how long would be required for any government to repair the damage caused by 14 + years of tory maladministration one would have to work the cost to clear the backlog.

NHS
Schools
Water Treatment
Rail system and Train companies
Police
Roads
Defence ........ etc, etc, etc.

The cost of lives and early death due to Austerity and Covid could never be fully evaluated on a monetary basis I would think.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on March 17, 2024, 12:01:55 pm by Sprotyrover »
To work out how long would be required for any government to repair the damage caused by 14 + years of tory maladministration one would have to work the cost to clear the backlog.

NHS
Schools
Water Treatment
Police
Roads

The cost of lives and early death due to Austerity and Covid could never be fully evaluated on a monetary basis I would think.

I bet you are glad you are out of it AYE?

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on March 17, 2024, 12:12:49 pm by tyke1962 »

NHS
Schools
Water Treatment
Police
Roads

We got things done following WW2

Aye ?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on March 17, 2024, 12:13:07 pm by SydneyRover »

NHS
Schools
Water Treatment
Police
Roads

I bet you are glad you are out of it AYE?

Most of my family and many friends are still in it sprot.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on March 17, 2024, 12:14:21 pm by SydneyRover »
This doesn't cover the loss of gdp through Austerity and brexit plus the ongoing costs,

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on March 17, 2024, 01:53:36 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

It'll take Labour, if they win, 5 years to sort out the mess this lot are leaving the country in

It'll take a generation to sort out the state these bas**rds are leaving

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on March 17, 2024, 03:00:11 pm by drfchound »
So all your beloved party's blind promises will not be fulfilled unless it is given another bite of the cherry after 5 years of failure!

So, in your world, it's the Tory's fault when they're in power, and the Tory's fault when they're not in power!

I see!

No mention of the mess that Labour left in 2010 though.
That must have taken at least five years to sort out.
So far we have a five year plan and a ten year plan being suggested for Labour.
Any advance on ten?

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on March 17, 2024, 03:23:00 pm by tommy toes »

I see!

Any advance on ten?
The only mess was the GFC.Befire that the Economy was doing OK.
There were no long NHS waiting lists.
No strikes.
Took the Tories 5 years to sort out.
Are you mad?
They just went all Austerity and made things far worse.

Just vote Tory hound and stop coming on here pretending otherwise.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on March 17, 2024, 03:29:08 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

I see!

Any advance on ten?
The only mess was the GFC.Befire that the Economy was doing OK.
There were no long NHS waiting lists.
No strikes.
Took the Tories 5 years to sort out.
Are you mad?
They just went all Austerity and made things far worse.

Just vote Tory hound and stop coming on here pretending otherwise.

This.  100% this.

There's folk who will never, ever accept it though. Impervious to rational argument.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on March 17, 2024, 03:30:24 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012