Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 10:47:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Another PM going?  (Read 3130 times)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Another PM going?
« Reply #60 on March 17, 2024, 03:35:40 pm by Filo »
how many times do we need to remind you

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/175749/Labour-There-s-no-money-left-in-Treasury

Yes the long standing joke that outgoing govts leave, only that time the Tories weaponised it
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 03:55:11 pm by Filo »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on March 17, 2024, 03:37:56 pm by tommy toes »
Was going to post that missen Filo.
An old chestnut that the Tories got people to believe.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on March 17, 2024, 04:19:38 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on March 17, 2024, 04:49:46 pm by drfchound »
So all your beloved party's blind promises will not be fulfilled unless it is given another bite of the cherry after 5 years of failure!

Exoneration in anticipation of failure!

So, in your world, it's the Tory's fault when they're in power, and the Tory's fault when they're not in power!

I see!

No mention of the mess that Labour left in 2010 though.
That must have taken at least five years to sort out.
So far we have a five year plan and a ten year plan being suggested for Labour.
Any advance on ten?
The only mess was the GFC.Befire that the Economy was doing OK.
There were no long NHS waiting lists.
No strikes.
Took the Tories 5 years to sort out.
Are you mad?
They just went all Austerity and made things far worse.

Just vote Tory hound and stop coming on here pretending otherwise.

I wouldn’t expect any other kind of reply from you or some of your forum buddies Tommy.
No criticism can be accepted can it.
As for voting at the GE, sadly I am going with Labour because I want to see the bright future that they are going to provide for us all.
And I don’t give a monkeys how you THINK I am going to vote.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on March 17, 2024, 05:10:11 pm by tommy toes »
So all your beloved party's blind promises will not be fulfilled unless it is given another bite of the cherry after 5 years of failure!

So, in your world, it's the Tory's fault when they're in power, and the Tory's fault when they're not in power!

I see!

Any advance on ten?
No strikes.
Are you mad?

I wouldn’t expect any other kind of reply from you or some of your forum buddies Tommy.
As for voting at the GE, sadly I am going with Labour because I want to see the bright future that they are going to provide for us all.
Your quote wasn't criticism though was it hound? Hatchet job more like.
You blithely accept that Labour left the country in a mess in 2010, when issues beyond their control caused it. Prior to that the country was doing OK, far far better than it is now.
Then you assert it must have took the Tories 5 years to sort it out.
Where's your evidence that they've sorted anything out and they've had a damn sight longer than 5 years.
Stick with you more intelligent mates Sproty and BB and don't vote Labour PLEASE.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 05:16:21 pm by tommy toes »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on March 17, 2024, 05:36:22 pm by drfchound »

I see!

Any advance on ten?
No strikes.
Are you mad?

Your quote wasn't criticism though was it hound? Hatchet job more like.
You blithely accept that Labour left the country in a mess in 2010, when issues beyond their control caused it. Prior to that the country was doing OK, far far better than it is now.
Then you assert it must have took the Tories 5 years to sort it out.
Where's your evidence that they've sorted anything out and they've had a damn sight longer than 5 years.
Stick with you more intelligent mates Sproty and BB and don't vote Labour PLEASE.

But they did leave it in a mess Tommy.
You are happy to use the GFC as an excuse for that, “ when issues beyond their control caused it”.
Yet you forget to mention the covid years and the Russian invasion of Ukraine, which of course the current government knew was coming !!
Absolutely total non recognition of reality.
Oh, and you aren’t alone in that position.
There’s folk who will never accept that though.
I will be voting Labour as well so I will be in your camp and be able to claim the glory if things go well and hang my head in shame with you if the shit hits the fan.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on March 17, 2024, 05:39:44 pm by ravenrover »

I see!

Any advance on ten?
Trouble there is they never sorted anything out, just made it worse over the next 14 years. Will Labour get that long to put things right again or wll ther be a note left
Nothing left and you already owe Xbillions good luck!

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on March 17, 2024, 05:42:33 pm by tommy toes »
You're towing the Tory line again hound.
The country was in a shocking state due to Austerity and Brexit long before Covid and Ukraine kicked in.
Vote Tory man, they're the ones for you

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on March 17, 2024, 05:44:44 pm by drfchound »

I see!

Any advance on ten?
Trouble there is they never sorted anything out, just made it worse over the next 14 years. Will Labour get that long to put things right again or wll ther be a note left
Nothing left and you already owe Xbillions good luck!

Well mate, apparently it is traditional to leave a note so there shouldn’t be a fuss when there is one, unless of course the Labour people weaponise it.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on March 17, 2024, 05:47:14 pm by drfchound »
You're towing the Tory line again hound.
The country was in a shocking state due to Austerity and Brexit long before Covid and Ukraine kicked in.
Vote Tory man, they're the ones for you

Don’t blame me for Brexit Tommy, I voted remain (not the Tory line).

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on March 17, 2024, 05:52:56 pm by tommy toes »
I blame you for bringing up, as all Tories do at the moment, for blaming everything on Covid and Ukraine, conveniently forgetting what they did in the 10 years prior to that, to bugger things up.
As you just did. That is towing the party line.
Vote Tory.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on March 17, 2024, 05:53:18 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
TT.

Bang on.

Yes, the GFC was a major crisis. But the issue is that there was a textbook way to restrengthen the economy after that.

It wouldn't have been painless, but the alternative approach they took (Austerity) was a disaster of historic proportions. That has left us permanently, and massively less wealthy than we should have been. Hence the reduction in funding for benefits and public services.

Folk who are entrenched on the Right steadfastly refuse ever to engage on the issue of what a stupid and destructive error Austerity was. They don't want to be challenged in their belief that Labour must have been to blame.

It is enough to make you weep over democracy.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on March 17, 2024, 05:59:03 pm by Ldr »
Got it BST. Global issue (financial crisis) = free pass for labour. Global issue (Pandemic) = beat the Tories. Don’t you ever get embarrassed at your double standards?

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on March 17, 2024, 06:01:48 pm by ravenrover »

I see!
It's a miracle, BB has seen the light

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on March 17, 2024, 06:02:44 pm by Ldr »

I see!
It's a miracle, BB has seen the light

That did make me laugh mind

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on March 17, 2024, 06:03:18 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
how many times do we need to remind you

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/175749/Labour-There-s-no-money-left-in-Treasury

and the proof is below

https://www.newstatesman.com/long-reads/2018/10/how-austerity-broke-britain-and-how-we-can-recover

try and concentrate (if possible) on wurds highlighted below

................................ Finally, the government relied unduly on the inflated profits from the property boom and financial sector to balance its books. When tax receipts from these sources fell sharply during the crisis of 2008, the public sector was revealed as having lived beyond its means. New Labour’s pact with the Mephistopheles of high finance ruined it in the end. In practice, the maintenance of full employment over the Blair-Brown years depended on sleight of hand; publicly subscribing to the new orthodoxy, but trying to get a bit of Keynes through the back door.

The unanswered question is whether monetary policy actually worked. Mervyn King, governor from 2003 to 2013, conceded that the Bank of England had benefited from a “nice environment”. Most economists now think that inflation was kept low not by central bank policy but by the entry of billions of low-wage east Asian, mainly Chinese, workers into the global labour market. These, together with Thatcher’s trade union reforms, subdued wage, and consequently price, pressure.

The failure of prevention and cure
It’s pretty obvious in retrospect that the requirements for maintaining economic stability were grossly underestimated. Friedman’s doctrine that if inflation was controlled, the macroeconomy would be stable ignored Keynes’s crucial insight that investment prospects are inherently uncertain. Macroeconomic policy, he said, therefore, had a decisive role to play in maintaining growth and employment.

Further, he argued that monetary policy on its own was too weak either to prevent a collapse or produce a recovery. So fiscal and monetary policy had to be coordinated. The new orthodoxy discarded these insights.

Pre-crash fiscal policy deprived the budget of any active role in demand management. Once the economy collapsed in 2008, fiscal policy was briefly brought out of retirement, but soon put back in its box. The reason is that in rescuing banks from disaster in 2008-09, the government transformed a great deal of private debt into public debt. Conservative rhetoric was then able to reverse the causation: the crisis was caused by the build-up of public debt under Labour, and could only be resolved by cutting the deficit to zero as quickly as possible.

Of all the arguments supporting the Cameron and Osborne austerity policy (backed by the Liberal Democrats in government), the one that resonated most was that the government was like a private household. Everyone knows, so ran the argument, that if a household’s income falls it has to reduce its consumption. It can borrow temporarily, but the loan must be paid back by saving even more. The same was true for a government. If its revenue falls, as a result of the slump, it needs to cut its own consumption. Any temporary borrowing should be repaid as quickly as possible. This was the logic of Osborne’s austerity programme.

The obvious reply is that the government is not like a household. If a single household cuts its spending this will affect only itself. If the government – which spends 40 per cent of the national income – cuts its spending, it affects everyone else’s spending, because the government’s spending is part of almost everyone else’s income. Therefore, the correct policy in a slump is for the government to increase its deficit not reduce it.

Given the political difficulty of putting this message across, one would think that the economics profession would have been shouting it from the rooftops. But this was no longer the Keynesian economics profession. The economists were hopelessly entangled in doctrines that either stated that the economy was always at full employment – and therefore extra government spending would simply be taking away money already being used by the private sector – or that failure to slash the deficit would lead to a flight of money from the country, leading to a rise in all interest rates, including the government’s. The claim that the national debt was a burden on future generations was allowed to run unchallenged, despite the fact that government borrowing that prevents lost growth benefits future generations.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on March 17, 2024, 06:14:07 pm by drfchound »
CLH, the usual suspects will just Pooh Pooh that information.
If only government had consulted someone on the forum on how to sort it all out.

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on March 17, 2024, 06:21:18 pm by tommy toes »
Go on hound, explain how the CLH post supports Austerity.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on March 17, 2024, 06:25:19 pm by drfchound »
Why.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on March 17, 2024, 06:25:48 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
If only government had consulted someone on the forum on how to sort it all out.

they are in dreamland i( just like we are about making the play offs) it's totally irrelevant what either me you or they want to believe

I am just stating well known facts I found under the carpet when I was hoovering today ( nice to know wilts brought his washing in yesterday -by the way)  to prove on the balance of probability that note was in fact genuine  - they can have their mutual self  "mr-bation and orgasmic post" moments after all the world is flat isn't it

this is the New Statesman  we have here

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on March 17, 2024, 06:26:46 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
CLH can't even read the bit before the bit he's highlighted in red.

It's like asking a record player explain why Beethoven was a genius. The record player can process whatever information goes though it, but it doesn't understand any of it.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on March 17, 2024, 06:30:01 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I blame BST for possessing all that genius and wasting it on a fourth-division off-topic football forum. We could now all be living in great wealth, with no NHS waiting lists, instant doctor appointments, no illegal immigration, no crime etc, if only he ran the country.

.....But what does he do? He wastes his entire time on this forum telling everybody to vote for a wet lettuce instead.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on March 17, 2024, 06:30:16 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
Why.

he needs to read everything  not just my selected bits

the article is from 2018

here once again is the link once again
https://www.newstatesman.com/long-reads/2018/10/how-austerity-broke-britain-and-how-we-can-recover

remember it's self service  you read it yourself or get your computer to read it all out

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on March 17, 2024, 06:31:18 pm by tommy toes »
Why.
Well. Do you think the post supports Austerity?

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on March 17, 2024, 06:33:28 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
CLH can't even read the bit before the bit he's highlighted in red.

It's like asking a record player explain why Beethoven was a genius. The record player can process whatever information goes though it, but it doesn't understand any of it.

BST's nervousness is registering 11 on the richter scale

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on March 17, 2024, 06:35:36 pm by tommy toes »
As you were hound. The above post clearly shows that you did think the Tories were sorting it out with Austerity.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on March 17, 2024, 06:38:20 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
Why.

support is not the issue to repeat it was needed    at that time - full stop - that was the only well known fact i was trying to remind you of. I will now put it back under the carpet - til the annual spring clean --

tommy toes

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on March 17, 2024, 06:46:02 pm by tommy toes »
Why.

support is not the issue to repeat it was needed    at that time - full stop - that was the only well known fact i was trying to remind you of. I will now put it back under the carpet - til the annual spring clean --

You haven't read your own post correctly.
It clearly does not support Austerity in any way, shape or form.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on March 17, 2024, 06:47:00 pm by drfchound »
As you were hound. The above post clearly shows that you did think the Tories were sorting it out with Austerity.

No I didn’t.
I just read what bst wrote and knew it was wrong.
I said before, don’t try to know what I think.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on March 17, 2024, 06:56:54 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Why.

You haven't read your own post correctly.
It clearly does not support Austerity in any way, shape or form.

Like I was saying...

TinyPortal © 2005-2012