Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:01:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Can we do it?  (Read 28650 times)

Scooter

• VSC Member
Re: Can we do it?
« Reply #270 on April 13, 2024, 06:56:45 pm by Scooter »
If Crawley don’t win against Barrow and we do win our last 3 games - we will defo be in the playoffs. It’s that straightforward

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #271 on April 13, 2024, 07:25:55 pm by Campsall rover »
Now I know this sounds silly and I would snap anyone’s hand off to finish 7th but we could now mathematically finish 5th. Yes that’s crazy.

If we did we get a home game in the 2nd leg which is a little more advantageous.

Yes i know let’s just get in those play offs.  :)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #272 on April 13, 2024, 08:25:07 pm by ravenrover »
I would absolutely hate it if it came down to the last game at Gilld

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #273 on April 13, 2024, 09:18:15 pm by dickos1 »
I think there's some reality checks needed here.

If we make the playoffs, we'll have had to win something like 42 points from the last 17 games.

That's equivalent to 113 points over a full season.

It's better than even Penney's juggernaut of a team managed in the best spell of form I have ever seen from a Rovers side in Autumn 2003.

We have improved a lot, but we are a long way off being that good.

We obviously weren’t that far away!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #274 on April 13, 2024, 09:21:18 pm by dickos1 »
I think there's some reality checks needed here.

If we make the playoffs, we'll have had to win something like 42 points from the last 17 games.

That's equivalent to 113 points over a full season.

It's better than even Penney's juggernaut of a team managed in the best spell of form I have ever seen from a Rovers side in Autumn 2003.

We have improved a lot, but we are a long way off being that good.

We have improved but not been to the level of a top 6 team. Yes we have had the points haul of a top team but the performances haven’t matched. We will start levelling out in the coming weeks.

I think since this point the performances have continued improving. And just keep getting better and better.
Lots of predictions suggesting we wouldn’t reach 60 points. We’re looking good at getting over 70 now

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #275 on April 13, 2024, 09:41:19 pm by andysly »
Whatever happens between Barrow and Crawley will have pro's and con's for us.
I'd settle for a draw and Barrow to have a couple sent off

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #276 on April 13, 2024, 11:56:19 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I would absolutely hate it if it came down to the last game at Gilld

The likely alternative is we don't make the playoffs.

I'll take a ball-clencher at the Priestfield ta very much.

Pliskin

• Forum Member
« Reply #277 on April 14, 2024, 01:06:47 am by Pliskin »
Even a week ago playoffs still seemed like a long shot. Looking at the table and the fixtures now, it's impossible to deny that we have a very real chance.

Three tough games to go.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #278 on April 14, 2024, 04:35:11 am by BobG »
This is quite a useful link:

https://www.soccerstats.com/formtable.asp?league=england4

From it, I see that in the last 12 games  Rovers have scored more goals than everybody else, let in less goals than everybody else, 2 goals in 8 games, and scored more than 20% more points than everybody else too. I can't  think of another occasion this has happened in 50+ years supporting Rovers.

BobG

« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 05:03:39 am by BobG »

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #279 on April 14, 2024, 11:04:06 am by Upton Rover »
This is quite a useful link:

https://www.soccerstats.com/formtable.asp?league=england4

From it, I see that in the last 12 games  Rovers have scored more goals than everybody else, let in less goals than everybody else, 2 goals in 8 games, and scored more than 20% more points than everybody else too. I can't  think of another occasion this has happened in 50+ years supporting Rovers.

BobG
What a amazing run, just at the right time, and there’s more to come.

donnyallday

• Forum Member
« Reply #280 on April 14, 2024, 11:59:09 am by donnyallday »
I always thought we were 3/4 games short of making the play offs, we timed our run just a tad late.It's been truly truly remarkable seeing as it seems we have given most teams 25 games start. That's Rovers for you. No team will relish playing us to the final. Unreal.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #281 on April 15, 2024, 06:52:50 am by normal rules »
18000 views of this thread.
People are starting to take note of what’s going on.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #282 on April 15, 2024, 07:28:45 am by Alan Southstand »
Just had an interesting thought this morning (very unusual, I know!). But, IF we do make the play-off’s, how likely is it that a certain Mr Miller could be in the squad? I’m sure I heard GM say George was back ‘on the grass’ training.

Anyone know anything?

It would certainly add a bit of interest to the play-off games and a huge boost to the squad just to see him back. One to keep an eye on, for sure.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #283 on April 15, 2024, 10:14:33 am by Dutch Uncle »
Humble pie time. Here is what I said on 18 March, 6 games ago, on this thread:

My gut feeling, taking into account we have a terrible goal difference:

27 points from 9 games = 73 points - 70% chance playoffs
25 points from 9 games = 71 points - 30% chance playoffs
24 points from 9 games = 70 points - 10% chance playoffs

Anything less 0%

Basically no chance

Edit: BTW, since 3 points per game introduced in 1981-82, and using points per game for seasons where less than 46 games played, average points for 7th place is 71.6. With all the teams challenging this year someone will have a very good run to take 7th (assuming none of the top 6 collapse).

Although the overall points targets are not too bad – I would rate the 70/30/10% chances for us guessed above, for if we can get that total of points, as now 95/40/20

Where I have totally failed is in not nominating us as the form team. My ‘no chance’ comment was meant as ‘no chance of us getting that number of points’. Now it is a very real chance.

I have to say McCann’s ploy of starting a new table, and saying to the players I want you to win that table, is a total management masterstroke worthy of Shankly, Clough or Ferguson. In the beginning it was showing confidence in the players ‘you can do this’, but it has now evolved into a wonderful way of lifting pressure. The pressure is all on those teams above us looking down. Whatever happens from here on in, this staggering, once in a long lifetime run, means we have a club to be proud of, a season to remember, football to enjoy, and good reason for great optimism next season, in whatever division.

Well done everyone, but especially GM    :scarf: :scarf:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 10:16:54 am by Dutch Uncle »

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #284 on April 15, 2024, 08:22:18 pm by adamtherover »
We have only 6 wins less than Stockport!!   A better start and we were getting autos!!!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #285 on April 15, 2024, 11:59:23 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Anything less 0%

Basically no chance

Edit: BTW, since 3 points per game introduced in 1981-82, and using points per game for seasons where less than 46 games played, average points for 7th place is 71.6. With all the teams challenging this year someone will have a very good run to take 7th (assuming none of the top 6 collapse).

Although the overall points targets are not too bad – I would rate the 70/30/10% chances for us guessed above, for if we can get that total of points, as now 95/40/20

Where I have totally failed is in not nominating us as the form team. My ‘no chance’ comment was meant as ‘no chance of us getting that number of points’. Now it is a very real chance.

I have to say McCann’s ploy of starting a new table, and saying to the players I want you to win that table, is a total management masterstroke worthy of Shankly, Clough or Ferguson. In the beginning it was showing confidence in the players ‘you can do this’, but it has now evolved into a wonderful way of lifting pressure. The pressure is all on those teams above us looking down. Whatever happens from here on in, this staggering, once in a long lifetime run, means we have a club to be proud of, a season to remember, football to enjoy, and good reason for great optimism next season, in whatever division.

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself Dutch for saying we had no chance back then. We had much less than a 0.1% chance. This sort of run happens once in a lifetime for any specific club outside the artificial world of east Manchester. To all intents and purposes, the chance of us gaining 25-27 points from those last 9 matches and 38-40 out of the last 15 games was as close to zero as makes almost no difference.

Fortunately for us, "almost" is still doing a lot of heavy lifting. Although we need to remember that it's still only a 20-ish percent chance that we do it even from here and not being too downhearted if we don't.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #286 on April 16, 2024, 12:04:29 am by BillyStubbsTears »
If we do end up just missing out, that 92nd minute winner for Crewe in the away match is going to hurt like hell. The task ahead of us from here would have been a hell of a lot easier if we'd held out that day, but there was such a brittleness in our defence back then it wasn't a surprise when it came.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #287 on April 16, 2024, 12:31:25 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Just had an interesting thought this morning (very unusual, I know!). But, IF we do make the play-off’s, how likely is it that a certain Mr Miller could be in the squad? I’m sure I heard GM say George was back ‘on the grass’ training.

Anyone know anything?

It would certainly add a bit of interest to the play-off games and a huge boost to the squad just to see him back. One to keep an eye on, for sure.

Anyone know anything?

That very thought occurred to me too having seen Miller feature in this video.

https://youtu.be/GFTlHDMqa_E?si=6PgyWQyZ1Oz_-DNl

Whether he was actively taking part in full training I don't know but given Biamou's enforced absence, a cameo from George would be brilliant, even if a few mins from the subs bench. What a boost that would be.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #288 on April 16, 2024, 07:28:07 am by drfchound »

Anyone know anything?

Anyone know anything?

That very thought occurred to me too having seen Miller feature in this video.

https://youtu.be/GFTlHDMqa_E?si=6PgyWQyZ1Oz_-DNl

Whether he was actively taking part in full training I don't know but given Biamou's enforced absence, a cameo from George would be brilliant, even if a few mins from the subs bench. What a boost that would be.

What a great video that was to watch.
A very special day for the young lad.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #289 on April 16, 2024, 01:32:52 pm by ForsolongaRover »

Anything less 0%

Basically no chance

What you said originally WAS sensible; subsequent events have been exceptional.

Talking of “Tables”, I used to like SOD’s interviews and he always stressed performances over results, which I could go along with, but what I found irritating and it was difficult to believe that he claimed he never looked at the Table. We were a joy to watch frequently, but might a little more success have been squeezed out if he had valued results more in the way he steered the team?

I’d say the Table is the one thing that all fans are very interested in and players too and McCann is surely more results-driven than either of the two of his best predecessors (Ferguson and SOD) - Penney was before on-line access for me.

So his approach which combines sensitivity with the overriding need to win encapsulated in the relative measure of the Table is admirable. That is what a manager needs to instil into his players. Performing well has to be correlated to winning.

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #290 on April 16, 2024, 09:42:32 pm by normal rules »
Even with wallsall
Winning tonight it’s completely unreal
That a playoff slot is now in rovers hands . Just keep winning .

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #291 on April 16, 2024, 09:44:02 pm by Upton Rover »
I think tonight’s results were what we expected, it’s amazing to say now that, it’s all in our own hands now, who would have thought that 5 weeks ago

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #292 on April 16, 2024, 09:44:46 pm by normal rules »
Barrow used 4 subs tonight. Some early in the game. Injuries?

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #293 on April 16, 2024, 09:46:14 pm by colincramb »
Walsall draw would have been pretty much a perfect night for us. But like has been said, we now decide our own fate.

Really, really need the take care of business on Saturday. Massive game

Upton Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #294 on April 16, 2024, 09:46:27 pm by Upton Rover »
Barrow used 4 subs tonight. Some early in the game. Injuries?
I’m full of confidence that we can beat Barrow

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #295 on April 16, 2024, 09:47:14 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Even with wallsall
Winning tonight it’s completely unreal
That a playoff slot is now in rovers hands . Just keep winning .

It's that simple and we've known this for sometime now, except we were more reliant on others slipping up.

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #296 on April 16, 2024, 09:48:10 pm by StocksArmy »
Beat Barrow and i believe.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #297 on April 16, 2024, 09:50:54 pm by drfcsteve »
I like the look of the table tonight. Overtaking Crawley is in our own hands, but we’ve also got Barrow and Crewe to consider.

We have the opportunity on Saturday to take points off Barrow.

Crewe have got to play Wrexham and then Colchester last game of the season, easy to see them dropping points too.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #298 on April 16, 2024, 09:51:46 pm by colincramb »
There’s definitely going to be some more twists and turns left this season. It’s football and when is it ever that straight forward?

normal rules

• Forum Member
« Reply #299 on April 16, 2024, 09:58:26 pm by normal rules »
Colchester’s main centre half got a straight red card. 90+6. Violent conduct. That’s him out for the rovers game.
Cheque is in the post to him. Lol.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012