Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:43:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: England  (Read 2698 times)

roversdude

• VSC Member
England
« on March 22, 2024, 07:14:27 am by roversdude »
Disgraceful that Nike have been allowed to reimagine our national flag

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ncRover

• Forum Member
Re: England
« Reply #1 on March 22, 2024, 07:42:30 am by ncRover »
It’s very strange. An American company saying the redesigned flag aims to “unite and inspire”. Are they suggesting the St George’s cross is some sort of non-inclusive symbol?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 22, 2024, 08:17:28 am by Glyn_Wigley »
A more pertinent question might be that if they designed the USA shirt whether they'd feel they'd be entitled to 'reimagine' the stars and stripes, or would it be too symbolic to meddle with?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 22, 2024, 08:23:03 am by Chris Black come back »
Worst element of this is that it will suck in all the halfwits who boo taking the knee. It’s a dumb thing to do messing around with a flag-related symbol and ultimately someone at the FA signed off on this don't forget, but is it the end of the world? For some, sadly this will be.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 22, 2024, 08:25:21 am by Glyn_Wigley »
I get the impression that it's been done not to big up England as they say but to big up whoever came up with the idea.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on March 22, 2024, 08:42:03 am by Spud »
Who's gonna buy that?
Can't be many, surely, especially at those prices. We've all got plenty of old shirts I hope they're all on show in the euros & none of that insult are.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 22, 2024, 09:10:19 am by Jonathan »
A very poorly advised publicity stunt, I don’t know what it sets out to achieve beyond the reaction it’s got. It doesn’t in any way offend or anger me, but nor can it possibly unite and inspire in the way the campaign sets out. It’s just a cross on a shirt that’s been manipulated to get a reaction that helps nobody. When Umbro did it in 2010 it didn’t have the same launch and nor did social media have the same gravity. It’s now been hijacked by grifters on all sides.

Anyway, this feels like an ‘off topic’ given other recent moderation trends.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 22, 2024, 09:38:11 am by Filo »
Just seen this after posting another topic about it, sorry

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 22, 2024, 10:03:49 am by RoversInSpain »
Simple, just don’t buy it or any other Nike product folks, replace with a purchase in our club shop perhaps.

I’m not offended by it, just like I was not offended by the colourful and Jolly Senegal fans painting their faces white at the World Cup

But as stated some will feel it’s the end of the world and get all upset and precious about it.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 22, 2024, 10:18:23 am by MachoMadness »
I don't care at all, and apparently it's some sort of tribute to the 1966 team so not sure why it's being spun as yet another "woke" story. A far bigger issue is the price of the bloody thing!

Having said that, if a British company did the same thing with an American flag they'd be taking to the streets over there.

TonySoprano

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 22, 2024, 10:21:44 am by TonySoprano »
It's a disgrace, and I'd like to hear from the idiot who signed it off.
I also assume the fa have approved this ?
If so that's just as big of a disgrace.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 22, 2024, 10:24:00 am by vaya »
People enraged by embroidery

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 22, 2024, 10:24:40 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Of all the things in the world to get enraged about.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 22, 2024, 10:27:45 am by Nudga »
It's going look absolutely fabulous with Harry kanes rainbow captains armband and rainbow boot laces.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 22, 2024, 10:29:51 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
No. Sorry, there's plenty of symbolism around with other emblems and flags. Don't mess about with our National Flag. That alone embodies the values we represent.

Agree that FA are responsible for signing it off and I hope it gets boycotted.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 22, 2024, 10:31:50 am by Bessie Red »
Politics should never get involved with sport, its a disgrace & I certainly wont be purchasing one.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 22, 2024, 10:36:48 am by Nudga »
Should just go full on and have some Ukraine coloured stripes down the shorts and one of those Facebook logos "I'VE HAD MY COVID VACCINE" instead of the England badge.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on March 22, 2024, 10:39:42 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Politics should never get involved with sport, its a disgrace & I certainly wont be purchasing one.

Politics?

I'm lost here. What has politics got to do with this?

As far as I can see, it's a rapacious international company trying to whip up interest in shirts that cost £110 quid for kids' versions.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 22, 2024, 10:42:58 am by Nudga »

Politics?

As far as I can see, it's a rapacious international company trying to whip up interest in shirts that cost £110 quid for kids' versions.

Kids shirts made by kids on dusty floors?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on March 22, 2024, 11:01:17 am by Filo »

Politics?

They wouldn’t dare do it with the Stars and Stripes, or the flags of such Countries like Iran, or Russia, or China etc.

It’s an insult and the FA are complicit in it

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on March 22, 2024, 11:14:17 am by ncRover »

Politics?

They wouldn’t dare do it with the Stars and Stripes, or the flags of such Countries like Iran, or Russia, or China etc.

It’s an insult and the FA are complicit in it

To use a hypothetical…The general opinion would be far more resounding if Puma changed the colours of Ghana’s iconic black star emblem on their national kit and there was uproar from Ghanaians.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on March 22, 2024, 11:18:57 am by Mike_F »

Politics?

That's my take on it too. They knew that it would spark debate up and down the country making this possibly the most talked about new football shirt ever. And that's all they wanted.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 22, 2024, 11:21:30 am by MachoMadness »

Politics?

That's my take on it too. They knew that it would spark debate up and down the country making this possibly the most talked about new football shirt ever. And that's all they wanted.
And it's completely overshadowed far more reasonable complaints about the ridiculous pricing, as well.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on March 22, 2024, 11:27:57 am by IDM »
I’m not going to get into a tizz over this, but I agree, the flag is the flag, is the flag..

Mess around with trim and away kit colours, fine, but leave the flag..

What’s next?  Two lions, or 3 tigers on the badge.???

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on March 22, 2024, 11:30:24 am by vaya »

Politics?

And it's completely overshadowed far more reasonable complaints about the ridiculous pricing, as well.

It gives the professionally outraged something to do though. Expect some Crowdfunders to be set up with slightly indeterminate justification based on it.

TonySoprano

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on March 22, 2024, 11:35:00 am by TonySoprano »
Usual libtards defending it.
They won't be happy unless the 3 lions are replaced with lennin, corbyn and George Floyd.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on March 22, 2024, 11:36:28 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Listening to Talksport discuss this. I was going to say debate but there is wholesale agreement that this is 'disrespectful'. That's the best way to describe this insult to the English nation.

We should be the most positive we've ever been going into this tournament, but this has put a dampner on it. If I was a player, I would want my flag on my shirt not some other woke persons interpretation of it.

As for the price? Well, they've been taking the p*so for sometime now, so I'm not surprised.

The universal message I keep hearing from the public and prominent people is, change the flag or boycott it.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on March 22, 2024, 11:43:53 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
The bigger issue is the price - scandalous.  I'd love to get the kids one each but I don't remortgage until next year.

But, who sat in a room and thought pissing about with flag colours was a good idea on a national shirt?  AND who in the FA signed it off?  A proper OG.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on March 22, 2024, 11:44:07 am by vaya »
Listening to Talksport discuss this. I was going to say debate but there is wholesale agreement that this is 'disrespectful'. That's the best way to describe this insult to the English nation.

We should be the most positive we've ever been going into this tournament, but this has put a dampner on it. If I was a player, I would want my flag on my shirt not some other woke persons interpretation of it.

As for the price? Well, they've been taking the p*so for sometime now, so I'm not surprised.

The universal message I keep hearing from the public and prominent people is, change the flag or boycott it.

If people don't like it, don't buy it.

If anyone's spending £100+  on a football shirt they probably need accompanying in public anyway.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on March 22, 2024, 11:45:10 am by Bessie Red »
Usual libtards defending it.
They won't be happy unless the 3 lions are replaced with lennin, corbyn and George Floyd.
Or the flag of Islam!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012