Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:10:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Nike, St George Cross  (Read 2888 times)

vaya

• Forum Member
Re: Nike, St George Cross
« Reply #30 on March 27, 2024, 11:36:49 am by vaya »
Myself & Im sure many others are unhappy about this because an overseas company has messed about with the St George's cross and the changes have been approved by some woke, virtue signalling individuals in the FA without any interaction/consultation with those most likely to buy it.
Now I fully understand the respone "Well dont buy it then". However in this case the shirt is a very high profile item and the St George's cross is a national symbol that unites those that live in England (& dont give me "but its been hijacked by the far right" that is total BS!), irrespective of a persons race, colour, religion, gender, sexual preferences etc. and in my opinion should be given protected status & shouldnt be allowed to be altered in any way without the full consent of the population of England.

Demanding a referendum every time there's a potential change in kit design is probably going a bit too far.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on March 27, 2024, 12:40:00 pm by Herman Hessian »
whole thing's a bit of a sham really, given George's stoically non-English heritage and the fact that 'his' flag was nicked of the Genoese and then appended to the king of england's banner in the mid 14th century; as a nation, we'd have been far better off sticking with Edward the Confessor, former king and the original patron saint of the England, who was - at least - born near Oxford. We could then have retained a gold cross on a blue ground as our national flag (with a few martlets strewn about for good measure), and steered clear of George who was already far too busy being venerated in Poland, Portugal, most of southern spain, the balkans and the middle east...

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on March 27, 2024, 01:31:57 pm by Bessie Red »
Myself & Im sure many others are unhappy about this because an overseas company has messed about with the St George's cross and the changes have been approved by some woke, virtue signalling individuals in the FA without any interaction/consultation with those most likely to buy it.
Now I fully understand the respone "Well dont buy it then". However in this case the shirt is a very high profile item and the St George's cross is a national symbol that unites those that live in England (& dont give me "but its been hijacked by the far right" that is total BS!), irrespective of a persons race, colour, religion, gender, sexual preferences etc. and in my opinion should be given protected status & shouldnt be allowed to be altered in any way without the full consent of the population of England.

Demanding a referendum every time there's a potential change in kit design is probably going a bit too far.
Or alternatively give the flag protected status as I said, so no- one can interfere with it.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on March 27, 2024, 01:35:34 pm by Bessie Red »
whole thing's a bit of a sham really, given George's stoically non-English heritage and the fact that 'his' flag was nicked of the Genoese and then appended to the king of england's banner in the mid 14th century; as a nation, we'd have been far better off sticking with Edward the Confessor, former king and the original patron saint of the England, who was - at least - born near Oxford. We could then have retained a gold cross on a blue ground as our national flag (with a few martlets strewn about for good measure), and steered clear of George who was already far too busy being venerated in Poland, Portugal, most of southern spain, the balkans and the middle east...
Irrelevant post really. The St George cross is our flag & thats the one being tampered with.

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on March 27, 2024, 01:57:49 pm by Herman Hessian »
Irrelevant post really. The St George cross is our flag & thats the one being tampered with.

on a superficial level, yes - but for anyone who cares to consider the background of these things before getting disproportionately triggered, the cross of St George is about as english as a vietnamese pot-bellied pig...

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on March 27, 2024, 02:43:03 pm by ncRover »

on a superficial level, yes - but for anyone who cares to consider the background of these things before getting disproportionately triggered, the cross of St George is about as english as a vietnamese pot-bellied pig...

Using your original argument if someone if foreign born they can’t ever be English? Look at the history of any country and it takes influence from around the world. That’s human history. Or is it just edgy to pick apart England and no one else?

drfcbenny625

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on March 27, 2024, 02:46:28 pm by drfcbenny625 »
Every single England flag you see at football games has been tampered with is some way. Usually with a club badge or in some case pretty crass writing. Is this not more disrespectful than just changing the colour?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on March 27, 2024, 02:50:01 pm by Bentley Bullet »

So are Lions, and giving them Purple and Blue stripes wouldn't make them any more English.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on March 27, 2024, 02:56:00 pm by Bessie Red »

Again irrelevant!

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on March 28, 2024, 12:08:13 am by Monkcaster_Rover »
Ridiculous pricing. Plenty of snide sites knocking about where you can get one for about £15. That’ll do me.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on March 28, 2024, 01:58:18 am by BillyStubbsTears »

This is what Godwin's Second Law was laid down for.

coventryrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on March 28, 2024, 12:56:39 pm by coventryrover »
The flag has been changed so much by a variety of organisations, I.e. the tories, UKIp.    Jack was said then.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on March 28, 2024, 01:35:00 pm by Chris Black come back »
Do adults wear replica kit? Lots of kids do but grown adults? Amazing.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on March 28, 2024, 01:59:19 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
When I used to go along to England games in the early 80's, you'd very rarely see a St George flag at all! We used to take a Union Jack with 'Doncaster' painted down the middle to matches. As far as I'm aware, nobody gave a toss about the St George. I wonder what's changed over time to make it more prevalent?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on March 28, 2024, 02:10:26 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Very dramatic, don't you think? Where was the hoo-ha in 2012 when the Union Jack was all blue for the Olympics?

Think we've got to a point where the media are telling people they should be angry about something and a lot of people do, when really it's not worth worrying about.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on March 28, 2024, 02:14:05 pm by MachoMadness »
No one as yet able to explain what is "woke" about this flag.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on March 28, 2024, 02:35:46 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

There's nowt Woke about the flag fella. The problem is that too many people pin their own insecurities on national identity and patriotism and use any 'slight' (either real or not) as a rationale for the fact that their own lives are shit.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on March 28, 2024, 03:11:13 pm by Bentley Bullet »
The question should be why Nike felt the need to change the colour of the cross.

It's not unusual for football fans to object to colour changes just for the sake of it. Ask the majority of fans of Cardiff City who saw their beloved Bluebirds play in Red for a while.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on March 28, 2024, 03:11:43 pm by drfchound »

Plenty of grown ups do mate.
Look around the Eco at home games.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on March 28, 2024, 03:30:15 pm by glosterred »

Plenty of grown ups do mate.
Look around the Eco at home games.

Many adults wear a replica shirt, very few are full kit w@nkers, look around the Eco at home games

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on March 28, 2024, 03:44:13 pm by drfchound »
Who mentioned full kit gloster.
A football shirt is replica kit as far as I’m concerned matey.
In fact, I don’t think I have ever seen a grown up fan in full replica kit, shirt, shorts and socks, at a football match.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on March 28, 2024, 04:12:41 pm by IDM »
In fact, I don’t think I have ever seen a grown up fan in full replica kit, shirt, shorts and socks, at a football match.

I have..  early seasons in the KM, SW corner.  Two brothers in their mid 20s (?) in full kit.  Always arrived late and left early for ht drinking.. sometimes missed all the second half.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on March 28, 2024, 04:33:17 pm by drfchound »

I have..  early seasons in the KM, SW corner.  Two brothers in their mid 20s (?) in full kit.  Always arrived late and left early for ht drinking.. sometimes missed all the second half.

Are you sure they weren’t on the pitch for the second half.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on March 28, 2024, 04:48:09 pm by NickDRFC »

Are you sure they weren’t on the pitch for the second half.

A lot of our performances in the last couple of seasons have looked drunk...

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on March 28, 2024, 05:00:23 pm by Bessie Red »

There's nowt Woke about the flag fella. The problem is that too many people pin their own insecurities on national identity and patriotism and use any 'slight' (either real or not) as a rationale for the fact that their own lives are shit.
I can assure you my life's not shit but I still believe a nations flag should not be tampered with by a global conglomerate and try & then brush it of by saying its just a playful update! They can keep their playful update and shove it where the sun dont shine!!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 05:03:31 pm by Bessie Red »

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on March 28, 2024, 06:19:45 pm by glosterred »

As far as I’m concerned matey a shirt is a shirt and kit is shirt, shorts and socks.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on March 28, 2024, 07:24:23 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

I can assure you my life's not shit but I still believe a nations flag should not be tampered with by a global conglomerate and try & then brush it of by saying its just a playful update! They can keep their playful update and shove it where the sun dont shine!!

I'm still bemused what you think is "woke" about all this.

And. Serious question. Have you ever in your life voted Tory or UKIP?

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on March 28, 2024, 07:27:46 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Playful update.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on March 28, 2024, 07:38:42 pm by MachoMadness »
More woke nonsense. Where will it end?

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on March 28, 2024, 07:49:46 pm by RoversInSpain »
Check out the supporter celebration flags from when the Women won the euros. A blue Lion almost covers the horizontal red line, perhaps someone from Nike had a Specsavers moment and got it slightly wrong and it should be a Lion not a blue line.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012