Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:24:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Chesterfield  (Read 1933 times)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Chesterfield
« on March 23, 2024, 10:41:50 pm by roversdude »
Not seen it anywhere else - well done on promotion chuffed for Liam and Branden

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
Re: Chesterfield
« Reply #1 on March 23, 2024, 10:53:36 pm by Pancho Regan »
Two fixtures to look forward to next season

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 24, 2024, 06:26:05 am by Padge_DRFC »
Yep with likely Stockport Mansfield and Wrexham going up. 3 big away crowds at least being replaced by 1 in Chesterfield.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 24, 2024, 07:16:34 am by roversdude »
Stockport support was pants (for whatever reason) I’m really hoping Wrexham slip up
I’ve not been to the new Chessie ground so another to tick off

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 24, 2024, 08:01:24 am by Butchers Red »
Just watched highlights of their match yesterday - look a very well drilled, typical Paul Cook side who will certainly challenge strongly in League 2 next season.

Delighted for them, in particular Liam Mandeville and Branden Horton - it's great to see our near neighbours return from the doldrums

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 24, 2024, 08:14:19 am by Padge_DRFC »
Stockport support was pants (for whatever reason) I’m really hoping Wrexham slip up

Okay as in not 150 turning up like Forest Green yesterday

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 24, 2024, 08:22:50 am by Nudga »

Okay as in not 150 turning up like Forest Green yesterday

Also chessy replacing one of Sutton, fgr, Colchester.
Could do with Halifax coming up through the play offs.

Also hoping Wrexham slip up.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 24, 2024, 08:39:27 am by ravenrover »
Wonder who Selby will be supporting when we play that game?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on March 25, 2024, 10:38:16 am by selby »
  Raven, if your really thinking about that question yourself, your thicker than I thought you were.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 25, 2024, 10:49:14 am by pib »
Congrats to them. Good club and a fanbase that's been through the wringer over the last few years, very similar to our struggles to get out of non-league not that long ago.

I was worried we were on a similar trajectory to them at times over the last year or so, but thankfully we seem to have passed our nadir without dropping back out of the league.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on March 25, 2024, 11:08:58 am by selby »
  And well done to Liam Mandeville, Brandon Horton, Luke Chadwick, and Eathan Weaver the last two lately in our academy and have done well after being released by us at Chesterfield.
  The first two being a big part of a great season for their club, I hope they all enjoy the moment and carry on building their careers.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 25, 2024, 11:17:39 am by Herbert Anchovy »
Am I correct in thinking that they don't play at Saltergate anymore? We had some great away days at Chesterfield in the past where we generally took a good following which always made for a tasty atmosphere. I remember that we signed quite a few players from there in the 1980's too.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 25, 2024, 11:21:45 am by IDM »
Yes they’ve had a new stadium for some years now..

I went to Saltergate a couple of times, and despite not seeing us win, I liked the old fashioned ground.  Don’t get me wrong, new grounds are great and modern etc, but like many on here I grew up with Belle Vue and have so many fond memories.  I guess Spirites fans have similar feelings..

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on March 25, 2024, 11:47:57 am by Wiltshire Exile »
Not seen it anywhere else - well done on promotion chuffed for Liam and Branden

From the Chesterfield forum this morning:

People talk about Quigley and his turnaround since joining the club, but I just wanted to highlight Liam Mandeville.

When Mandy joined the club I was a critic of his, tired after 60 minutes every game, poor output in terms of goals and assists.

He is now one of our most consistent performers. Whether in CAM, RW or RB he is effective and probably covers more ground than anyone else on the pitch. His output in terms of goals and assists is incredible.

Could he be our new Drew Talbot?

https://www.thecfss.co.uk/forums/index.php?showforum=3

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 25, 2024, 01:26:46 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
Don’t think Mandys stopped drinking since the title was confirmed.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on March 25, 2024, 02:12:51 pm by roversdude »
Fair play to him

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on March 25, 2024, 02:19:53 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Am I correct in thinking that they don't play at Saltergate anymore? We had some great away days at Chesterfield in the past where we generally took a good following which always made for a tasty atmosphere. I remember that we signed quite a few players from there in the 1980's too.

Apart from Ernie Moss of course, there was the strange career of Jamie Hewitt who interrupted 16 seasons with Chesterfield with more than 500 league appearances (along with Copps only one of 99 players to achieve that for one FL club) , for a solitary season at Belle Vue. In his second Chesterfield spell he played in the FA Cup Semi Final for them and scored the late equaliser that earned them a replay

Year                 Team                       Apps         (Gls)
1986–1992      Chesterfield            249           (14)
1992–1993      Doncaster Rovers     33             (0)
1993–2002      Chesterfield            257           (12)
Total                                               539           (26)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 02:22:49 pm by Dutch Uncle »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 25, 2024, 02:36:40 pm by Chris Black come back »
1992/93 was a shit season for us as well. I think Chris McMenemy didn’t like the look of him and he went back there when Duncan was appointed in 1993.

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on March 25, 2024, 02:39:21 pm by Draytonian III »
Bill Green and Andy Kowalski both joined us from Chesterfield for 83/4 season, seem to think they only had one season with us

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on March 25, 2024, 03:42:27 pm by ravenrover »
  Raven, if your really thinking about that question yourself, your thicker than I thought you were.
Thanks for the insult Selby,  I never knew you thought about me, nothing less than I expected  your usual approach so not disappointed.
You'll be able to renew your aquaintance with a long lost friend of yours. You certainly have an eye for a player

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on March 25, 2024, 04:39:45 pm by roversdude »
Wow honestly thought Jamie Hewitt was here longer, think he ended up being physio at Saltergate

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on March 25, 2024, 05:30:57 pm by scawsby steve »

Herbert, I was lucky enough to step on to the hallowed ground at Saltergate, just 2 years before it closed. I was doing walk-ons as Bill Shankley in "The Damned United", and we filmed 2 days there.

I can't believe that was 16 years ago. The atmosphere was great, even with just a couple of hundred extras doing the crowd scenes.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 25, 2024, 09:45:46 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

Apart from Ernie Moss of course, there was the strange career of Jamie Hewitt who interrupted 16 seasons with Chesterfield with more than 500 league appearances (along with Copps only one of 99 players to achieve that for one FL club) , for a solitary season at Belle Vue. In his second Chesterfield spell he played in the FA Cup Semi Final for them and scored the late equaliser that earned them a replay

Year                 Team                       Apps         (Gls)
1986–1992      Chesterfield            249           (14)
1992–1993      Doncaster Rovers     33             (0)
1993–2002      Chesterfield            257           (12)
Total                                               539           (26)

Blimey, well remembered DU!! I’d forgotten all about him.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on March 25, 2024, 09:47:17 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

Herbert, I was lucky enough to step on to the hallowed ground at Saltergate, just 2 years before it closed. I was doing walk-ons as Bill Shankley in "The Damned United", and we filmed 2 days there.

I can't believe that was 16 years ago. The atmosphere was great, even with just a couple of hundred extras doing the crowd scenes.

You were playing Shankley in the film Steve? That’s a real claim to fame fella. Great film too!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012