Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:56:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Richard Wood  (Read 3056 times)

donnyguy

• Forum Member
Richard Wood
« on March 26, 2024, 07:11:25 pm by donnyguy »
Signed one year deal

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
Re: Richard Wood
« Reply #1 on March 26, 2024, 07:16:46 pm by Jonathan »
The right decision for me. He’s been excellent and raised the game of those around him. His leadership would be almost impossible to replace.

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on March 26, 2024, 07:17:49 pm by Branton Rover »
Good move - we’ve looked so much more solid with Woody & Tom alongside each other - certainly no soft underbelly there.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 26, 2024, 07:23:00 pm by adamtherover »
Small tip, at the next home game, when the ball comes into our half, just for 10 seconds , watch woody, not the ball,  he is constantly shouting, marshalling, cajoling the defence, bringing everyone into the line, moved forwards as a unit etc, 93 mins on the clock on satdi, game over,.and he was shouting at big tom to straighten up the line..  that's why he's the leader, and that's why we are more defensively sound when he's in the team.   
After the Sutton game, he had come back for the Bradford midweek match,andl I commented that we looked stronger at the back straight away..  many games later and we still look strong..  keep it up woody..

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 26, 2024, 07:25:20 pm by Rovers91 »
Since he's got over the little injuries he's done exactly what he was brought in to do and improve those around him and lead the team.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on March 26, 2024, 07:25:56 pm by drfchound »
Small tip, at the next home game, when the ball comes into our half, just for 10 seconds , watch woody, not the ball,  he is constantly shouting, marshalling, cajoling the defence, bringing everyone into the line, moved forwards as a unit etc, 93 mins on the clock on satdi, game over,.and he was shouting at big tom to straighten up the line..  that's why he's the leader, and that's why we are more defensively sound when he's in the team.   
After the Sutton game, he had come back for the Bradford midweek match,andl I commented that we looked stronger at the back straight away..  many games later and we still look strong..  keep it up woody..

All true Adam and I have been saying the same thing about Woody.
He is always organising.

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on March 26, 2024, 07:31:52 pm by bobbymax »
Excellent news. Je's never been quick so age is less of a concern than it might have been.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on March 26, 2024, 07:53:23 pm by Sprotyrover »
Great bit of news.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 26, 2024, 08:44:23 pm by pib »
Surprised. I thought this might be an area of the team GM would look to freshen up more this summer.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on March 26, 2024, 09:59:42 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Heard this from a good source on Saturday but wouldn’t compromise anyone in revealing it at the time.

A great piece of business & thanks GM…..nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

MagicMartinoWoods

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 26, 2024, 11:11:25 pm by MagicMartinoWoods »
Another positive point about Woody is that he's a perfect mentor for young centre backs like Mcgrath and Faulkner to learn from.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 11:18:25 pm by MagicMartinoWoods »

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on March 26, 2024, 11:32:28 pm by Jonathan »

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on March 27, 2024, 12:09:02 am by MachoMadness »
Could see the case for releasing him but there's no doubt we've looked more solid at the back since he's been back in the team and imagine he's a great presence to have around the club as well.

He makes a good point in that interview about playing 3 times a week recently. I know the way we play doesn't have him sprinting up and down the pitch but there can't be many at his age who are still playing 3 full competitive games a week. Proper pro, glad he's signed.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 27, 2024, 05:41:21 am by Chris Black come back »
He’s been great the last few months. You would hope there is some other movement in the centre back department though. We are aspiring to get promoted next season. Looking ahead to the following summer that means Wood, Anderson and Olowu will all presumably leave. Unless something major changes then Faulkner and McGrath will get limited game time the coming season. We then go in to League One with no senior centre backs with experience, in a very tough league. And yes, there is no guarantee we go up next season, far from it.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 27, 2024, 06:46:08 am by roversdude »
He’s certainly turned Anderson around I honestly thought that Tom was in free fall, since Wood has returned TA looks like the player he was pre Balcombe

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 27, 2024, 07:16:01 am by Spilsby Red »
Will give valuable experience to our younger defenders which can only be a positive

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on March 27, 2024, 08:19:27 am by Pancho Regan »
He’s been great the last few months. You would hope there is some other movement in the centre back department though. We are aspiring to get promoted next season. Looking ahead to the following summer that means Wood, Anderson and Olowu will all presumably leave. Unless something major changes then Faulkner and McGrath will get limited game time the coming season. We then go in to League One with no senior centre backs with experience, in a very tough league. And yes, there is no guarantee we go up next season, far from it.

Personally CBCB, I’d worry about who we go into League 1 with when we get a bit nearer to being in it.

Woody intimated to me on Saturday that he would be signing up for “one more year” and I’m really pleased about this.
Our defence was very shaky in the first half of the season and his return to fitness has turned that around in my opinion.

I also suspect that GM likes having Woody’s experience within the group.

Great news.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 27, 2024, 08:44:46 am by Campsall rover »
Makes a lot of sense keeping Woody another year.
His experience and leadership will be invaluable.
Remember Jones and McCombe anyone.

Yes McGrath and Faulkner are the future but how much will they learn from both Wood and Anderson.

You can get away with 2 Centre backs who are not that quick in League 2 and to a certain extent in League 1 as shown by Jones & McCombe providing you have quick full backs and the right protection from your midfield players.
Bailey and Craig with Biggins a little more offensive currently offer that protection.
Westbrooke, Close, Biggins & Rowe did not.  Any one of those 3 can play but we need it to be with Bailey and Craig or players of their ilk.
If Craig does not come on loan next season then he needs replacing with similar.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on March 27, 2024, 11:04:24 am by Alan Southstand »
That interview with Hoden tells you everything you need to know about Woody. Very down to earth guy. Pleased we’re going to get another year out of him.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on March 27, 2024, 11:18:25 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
No coincidence our form has been better since TLT, Wood and Anderson teamed up to improve our defence.

Generally, you wouldn't normally favour two similar types of centre halves such as Wood and Anderson for fear of being caught for pace, but I think having TLT behind them means they don't have to worry as much about the space in behind as TLT is quick to cover and mop up.

Of course, there's some succession planning required with McGrath and Faulkener and they are going to need games to refine the arts of defending well. Both are well short of the experience and stature of Wood and Anderson so will need to push themselves when the opportunities come.  If we're looking ahead to League One and beyond, the modern day centre half needs to be comfortable in bringing the ball into midfield areas to make the extra man, so we need to be looking for that potential too.

Olowu has had that potential but lacks the confidence, concentration and consistency to perform to the same level as Wood and Anderson so I think he'll move on at some point.

Avsuptem

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on March 27, 2024, 12:09:44 pm by Avsuptem »
Before Wood's return and TLT 's arrival all the oppo had to do was keep lobbing long balls into our box and they were bound to score sooner or later.  Big difference now.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on March 27, 2024, 12:46:29 pm by Campsall rover »
Who is to say Anderson will leave next summer. If he carries on as he is playing now next season then why can’t he be given another contract. In League 1 or 2 whichever we are in.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on March 27, 2024, 01:25:40 pm by Spud »
What a great, honest interview, he looks confident, relaxed, happy.
Must be great to have him in the dressing room & on the pitch.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on March 27, 2024, 01:41:02 pm by ForsolongaRover »
Confidence is infectious in a sense. If you trust those around you and know they are dependable you play better and I think this is why we have seen a return to form from Anderson. With TLT rather than Jones behind them they don’t have to worry about covering for him.

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on March 27, 2024, 04:47:40 pm by Branton Rover »
His injury could’ve been a blessing in disguise meaning he hasn’t played the amount of games he could have and thus meaning he’s been fresher for the run in, rather than his form tailing off due to fatigue he’s looked really fresh which has certainly helped his contract renewal.

I hope you get what I mean.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on March 27, 2024, 04:53:00 pm by Jonathan »
It may be that we have to manage his game time a little more next season, but either way I see this as a relatively low risk signing. We know we’re getting a good organiser with tonnes of experience and physical presence. And we know first hand the impact he has on others around him. We may have been able to bring in another centre half that can head it and kick it for similar money, but I don’t think there are loads out there that offer the leadership that Wood offers. Look at Aden Flint at Mansfield and what he (more expensively) brings them. Having a player like this is important at this level.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on March 27, 2024, 06:29:22 pm by ravenrover »
Aden Flint, my Mansfield supporting mate reckons with all his bonus add ons he's pushing £6-7k a week!

Branton Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on March 27, 2024, 06:37:10 pm by Branton Rover »
How many central defenders do we need? We have Anderson, Wood, McGrath, Olowu, Faulkner. Bailey can play there and there’s young Flint too.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on March 27, 2024, 06:59:17 pm by roversdude »
And last season we had Tommy Rowe play there too

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on March 27, 2024, 07:48:03 pm by Campsall rover »
Aden Flint, my Mansfield supporting mate reckons with all his bonus add ons he's pushing £6-7k a week!
Which is ridiculous for a League 2 club averaging just over 7.000 gates.
Ridiculous in League 2 full stop.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012