Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 27, 2024, 10:46:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Matthew Craig  (Read 4797 times)

andyst79

• Forum Member
Matthew Craig
« on April 03, 2024, 10:10:00 am by andyst79 »
Olowu & Wood have took most of the plaudits and for a performance as a team, man for man you don't get many better that. However Craig was sublime for me and looks to be the complete midfielder. Calm ,composed , strong in the tackle, always showing for the ball and rarely wastes possession, he looks to have a bright future.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 10:17:49 am by andyst79 »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: Matthew Craig
« Reply #1 on April 03, 2024, 10:20:13 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Best player on the pitch for 60 mins.

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 03, 2024, 10:21:50 am by RoversInSpain »
Olowu & Wood have took most of the plaudits and for a performance as a team, man for man you don't get many better that. However Craig was sublime for me and looks to be the complete midfielder. Calm ,composed , strong in the tackle, always showing for the ball and rarely wastes possession, he looks to have a bright future.
Yes, well said! He’s everything we’ve missed, a Herbie Kane Mk2.
GM likened him to Kane, and he’s not wrong.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on April 03, 2024, 10:24:28 am by andyst79 »
Yes, well said! He’s everything we’ve missed, a Herbie Kane Mk2.
GM likened him to Kane, and he’s not wrong.
Astute bit of business by GM , on a whole the last transfer window must go down as one of our best

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 03, 2024, 11:38:10 am by ncRover »
If he’s back in league 2 next year he’s getting some very bad career advice. I think McCann has got Close and Westbrooke tied down because he’s knows it’s highly unlikely he’s back.

Craig will play at a far higher level than Herbie Kane currently does.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 03, 2024, 12:05:09 pm by Copps is Magic »
I think Kane and Craig are two different types of players. Kane at had sublime turn and skill, and ability to get himself out of a pocket. Craig reminds me more of Paul Green - combative midfielder who's also comfortable on the ball (with probably a bit more potential and talent than Green).

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on April 03, 2024, 12:13:00 pm by dickos1 »
He’s the closest player to wellens we’ve ever had

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 03, 2024, 12:20:38 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
He's said that one of the players he looked up to at Spurs and who he aspires to follow is Harry Winks. He made his mark in the Spurs team at a young age so you can see where he wants to be. It will be tough but I'm sure we'd all like to see him get the opportunity.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 03, 2024, 12:39:36 pm by andyst79 »
He’s the closest player to wellens we’ve ever had
Got a bit more bite than Wellens , was at least a couple of times him & I think it was Bailey picked their opposite numbers pockets by hooking their legs round with standing tackles. Close can't do what these two do and I think we need better to for a promotion push next season.

Monkcaster_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 03, 2024, 02:30:51 pm by Monkcaster_Rover »
He’s got a stature like Rooney. One point in first half he went in shoulder to shoulder and he just flattened their kid.

Excited to follow his career from here.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 03, 2024, 02:49:04 pm by GazLaz »
Craig has been great but Kane was something else. One of the best loans we’ve ever had.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 03, 2024, 04:15:14 pm by IDM »
Craig has been great but Kane was something else. One of the best loans we’ve ever had.

Before his injury..  after that he had gone off the boil somewhat.

Lincoln Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 03, 2024, 04:55:24 pm by Lincoln Rover »

I go back quite a few watching Donny & I’ll say Herbie was the best loan we’ve ever had. Let the opinion begin.
Ps I day Craig as MOTM last night. Faded in the last 15 mins along with others, but still superb.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 03, 2024, 05:25:04 pm by ForsolongaRover »
A lot of the early plaudits last night went to other players and I wondered if it was only me that thought Craig was truly brilliant at times. So often when it seemed impossible to regain possession he did just that with fast skilful feet plus a quick brain.

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 03, 2024, 05:52:13 pm by andyst79 »
Think he only wasted possession once in the 1st half (I'm happy to be corrected) whilst also recieving the ball in tight areas at times. Looked light years ahead of anybody else in the centre of the park
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 06:12:26 pm by andyst79 »

Plumbster

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 03, 2024, 05:56:14 pm by Plumbster »
Totally agree with this- took me a while to see what others were already thinking but love his ability and fearless attitude

Buzzberry

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on April 03, 2024, 06:27:02 pm by Buzzberry »

Have to disagree here. Matt mills would have to be the best for me that play off season he was a rock.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on April 03, 2024, 07:16:10 pm by BobG »
Tony Woodcock?

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 03, 2024, 07:24:08 pm by ForsolongaRover »

Have to disagree here. Matt mills would have to be the best for me that play off season he was a rock.

Players who score goals and Kane scored some really impressive ones, tend to attract more attention than those who toil hard in the more defensive midfield roles. Take Jacob Ramsey as an example of the former!

Incidentally Matt Mills was a defender, and I thought the focus here was on midfielders.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 03, 2024, 07:29:34 pm by Barmby Rover »
I went to the Cheltenham match before we ended up in the playoffs with Leeds. Matt Mills was immense that day, playing CH, then popping up on the wing and then finally as a centre-forward in an attempt to get us up. He was a magnificent player for us, and on loan that season as well!

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on April 03, 2024, 07:34:06 pm by danumdon »
Lets just hope that some of our young midfielders can learn a thing or two from Craig, for someone with such limited experience in the mens game this lad has been a breath of fresh air mixed with helium. Has the skill and touch of a Wellens or Kane the work rate of a Green and the temperament of a young Snodin.

As said previously, will be very interesting to watch his progress, could go right to the top.

Plumbster

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on April 03, 2024, 07:41:25 pm by Plumbster »
Other candidates include Sharp and Ramsay, and for a short while I thought jay emmanual Thomas was going to take us to the PL, but my vote would go for Kane.

Bills view

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 03, 2024, 08:04:51 pm by Bills view »
He's been the missing ingredient in the midfield.

I see him more like Ben Sheaf who I rated highly. Perhaps even better than him.

He's had a huge positive impact and will be difficult to replace.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 03, 2024, 09:07:21 pm by adamtherover »

I go back quite a few watching Donny & I’ll say Herbie was the best loan we’ve ever had. Let the opinion begin.
Ps I day Craig as MOTM last night. Faded in the last 15 mins along with others, but still superb.
a certain Mr sharp may have something to say?

KingKendrick

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on April 03, 2024, 09:09:25 pm by KingKendrick »
Let’s not forget Ben whiteman was on loan for half a season before he signed permanent. Scored a 10 minute hattrick in that spell if I’m not mistaken

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 03, 2024, 09:18:31 pm by NickDRFC »
Let’s not forget Ben whiteman was on loan for half a season before he signed permanent. Scored a 10 minute hattrick in that spell if I’m not mistaken

Whiteman was just OK during his loan spell. Only excelled when he dropped deeper after he signed for us permanently.

I’d say that each of the 3 loanees that we signed in January - TLT, Haks & Craig - are better than any loanee that we’ve had since McCann was last here.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on April 03, 2024, 09:40:38 pm by Alan Southstand »
DM brought in some decent ones!

Pliskin

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on April 03, 2024, 10:12:39 pm by Pliskin »
Herbie Kane looked like he was destined for to play at a higher level when he was with us.

Can't believe he's still a League 1 player 5 years on.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on April 03, 2024, 11:07:58 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Whiteman was just OK during his loan spell. Only excelled when he dropped deeper after he signed for us permanently.

I’d say that each of the 3 loanees that we signed in January - TLT, Haks & Craig - are better than any loanee that we’ve had since McCann was last here.

Err.
Jacob Ramsey?
Taylor Richards?
Senny Dieng?

Even Niall Ennis

They all performed very well at the top end of L1, and most have gone on to much higher things.

Mustapha-Dump

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on April 03, 2024, 11:18:26 pm by Mustapha-Dump »
In terms of how they played in their loan spell, I think even with big names that have played for us on loan then signed permanently the best loan player I’ve ever seen is Herbie Kane by a mile. Before his injury I was convinced he would play in the premier league, he’s still a good player now I just think his trajectory stopped with the injury.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012