Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 09:52:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Tommy Rowe  (Read 4111 times)

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
Re: Tommy Rowe
« Reply #30 on April 07, 2024, 07:16:31 am by Padge_DRFC »
Not as a playing staff member. He's faded over the last year a lot. Really good player for us but it comes to an end sadly

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on April 07, 2024, 09:43:46 am by idler »
Maybe he has been offered a one year deal on reduced terms and feels that he deserves or could do better. We have also tied some players down early maybe leaving those not yet offered a new deal wondering about their future.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on April 07, 2024, 10:14:56 am by ncRover »
Tommy is a model pro and has done a lot for the club in both his spells but we shouldn’t be offering him a new deal IMO. He would make a good manager one day.

He’s 36 in September and his game is built on physicality and athleticism. He’s been a shadow of his former self for 2 seasons now. 1 good game in one that the whole team dominated doesn’t change that sorry.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on April 07, 2024, 11:57:52 am by ravenrover »
Maybe he has been offered a one year deal on reduced terms and feels that he deserves or could do better. We have also tied some players down early maybe leaving those not yet offered a new deal wondering about their future.
Tied 2 down but doesn't mean to say we haven't made offers to others. As GM said in a recent interview they are nearly there with a couple of others and I'm sure GM will have had a word with anyone not made an offer

craigdrfc

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on April 07, 2024, 12:12:02 pm by craigdrfc »
Tommy is a No for me. Been a great player for us but it’s been clear for a while he is, quite naturally, on the decline. We need to build on what we have and someone in TRs position probably needs to move out to allow that.

No room for sentiment at a club wanting to really push on at pace, which should be our aim now.

Thanks for the good times Tommy.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on April 07, 2024, 01:31:53 pm by Campsall rover »
No doubt.that Ironside has been tremendous for us this season but I can't help thinking he is a bit of a one trick pony. Shields the ball with his body, uses his body strength to hold off defenders and hopes to draw a foul. His first touch is not great and he does not have the trickery of Adelakan / Molly / Hurst. Even our back four have  better ball control and  dribbling skill. Which is not to say he us not worth his place, he brings something the others haven't got and Grant seems to know exactly how to deploy him.
Of course he doesn’t have the dribbling skills of Molly or Haka or Hurst. For a start he isn’t a wide player.
Does Haarland have the dribbling skills of Foden, Grealish, Doka, De Silva, etc.
every team needs a team to be able to play different roles. That’s what makes a team.
We would have been bottom 2 at the end of 2023 without Joe Ironside. In fact I think we would have been bottom of the league.
Yes Joe isn’t a Championship centre forward but he is a brilliant league 2 one.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 01:58:03 pm by Campsall rover »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on April 07, 2024, 01:36:07 pm by Campsall rover »
I didn’t think he was bad at all today but Joe Ironside was keeping us in the division 2 months ago with a last minute equaliser at Sutton, he’s probably blown a huge sigh of relief mentally, ‘on the beach’ as it were and if he is he’s probably the only one I wouldn’t blame
He most definitely is not on the beach. His work rate yesterday was as it has been all season.
He never gives less than 100%
Not sure what some were watching yesterday. For him to receive any criticism I think is quite astounding.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on April 07, 2024, 01:43:18 pm by Campsall rover »
Tommy is a model pro and has done a lot for the club in both his spells but we shouldn’t be offering him a new deal IMO. He would make a good manager one day.

He’s 36 in September and his game is built on physicality and athleticism. He’s been a shadow of his former self for 2 seasons now. 1 good game in one that the whole team dominated doesn’t change that sorry.
Tommy Rowe only played 30 odd mins yesterday.
No he has been a model pro and a very good player in his 1st spell with us but time calls.
He would do a very good job for someone in the National League for a couple of seasons imo.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 01:59:18 pm by Campsall rover »

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on April 07, 2024, 02:14:44 pm by Cramby10 »

No he has been a model pro and a very good player in his 1st spell with us but time calls.
He would do a very good job for someone in the National League for a couple of seasons imo.
he played over an hour yesterday and didn’t stop the whole time.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on April 07, 2024, 02:28:45 pm by adamtherover »
I didn’t think he was bad at all today but Joe Ironside was keeping us in the division 2 months ago with a last minute equaliser at Sutton, he’s probably blown a huge sigh of relief mentally, ‘on the beach’ as it were and if he is he’s probably the only one I wouldn’t blame
He most definitely is not on the beach. His work rate yesterday was as it has been all season.
He never gives less than 100%
Not sure what some were watching yesterday. For him to receive any criticism I think is quite astounding.

joe has run his blood to water the entire season, with no back up on the bench, gets fouled constantly with no protection from the refs, and has scored many crucial goals, max is now a godsend to him.. someone to share the load,  for me he is beyond criticism of any sort..

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on April 07, 2024, 02:33:04 pm by Nudga »
I'd like to see Joe and max up front together but that would mean going to a 4-1-3-2 and we can't really start a match that way with the current formation having a lot of success.
Maybe doing it on the 65/70 minute mark if we're chasing a game.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on April 07, 2024, 02:45:10 pm by Campsall rover »

he played over an hour yesterday and didn’t stop the whole time.
Sorry he did, he was the 1st sub of course he was.
He played well, everyone did. But that doesn’t mean we should keep him next season.

It’s strange isn’t it, not aimed at you Cramby,  only 8 weeks ago even less with some posters they wanted nearly the whole squad to go at the end of the season and now it seems they want almost the whole lot signed up again.
I am saying no more.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on April 07, 2024, 06:33:22 pm by ncRover »

In that Wellens / McSheffrey relegation season I thought he was good. After that he started picking up injuries and slowed right down.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on April 07, 2024, 06:44:51 pm by ncRover »
Ironside has faded a bit because I’d imagine his body needs a rest.

No, he’s not going to skin three defenders but his first touch is good. It’s always harder back to goal trying to work out what to do. Especially when you’ve got a 13 stone defender doing you up the arse every time.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on April 07, 2024, 06:52:09 pm by Chris Black come back »
It’s probably quite a good tactic for Ironside to play an hour beating up defenders then bring on Biamou or someone a little more refined to go through them.

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on April 07, 2024, 07:51:49 pm by Butchers Red »
George Broadbent will pick up the baton from Tommy - he's waiting in the wings, watching and learning but already has it in him to be a championship player.

streathamdave

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on April 07, 2024, 11:45:13 pm by streathamdave »
Broadbent is certainly in Mccans plans but is one that really needs to kick on for me. Hope you are right BR, but I'm yet to be convinced.

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on April 08, 2024, 02:58:26 am by Move DRFC »
Yeah Tommy is done at the end of the season. But he put in a great shift against Morecambe. Players running through brick walls at the moment. If we can get some more quality in the summer who GM can blend in the team and get them working as hard. We will be some force next season.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on April 08, 2024, 08:47:39 am by wing commander »
    Always a tough one, there were times in the past when you would thank the stars you have him as he was the glue that kept the team together and when he came back i was delighted. Reality is though that injury's, position changes and father time has meant that we've not seen the best of him during this spell. Places have to be made to available for the incomings and i'm afraid Tommy's is one of them. 

TheFunk

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on April 08, 2024, 03:22:24 pm by TheFunk »
Ironside is just going to have carry on if Biamou's hamstring injury keeps him out. There is only Waters to come in upfront.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on April 09, 2024, 10:24:57 pm by jmt23 »
Thought Ironside looked back to how he was playing early in the season tonight, much better!

Big Joe at the back was again superb, but my man he match goes to Sterry, his passing range in the last few games has been outrageous, I never really saw any potential in him since he came back from injury, but he is well and truly showing it now.
I can’t make my mind up if we were flat or Walsall were trying to rush us into mistakes, but the lone ball giants couldn’t keep it up in the second and we scrambled a bit of control, still not sure how we haven’t scored at least three more.

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on April 09, 2024, 10:59:10 pm by ncRover »
Ironside was class tonight. Didn’t put a foot wrong and had his energy back. He had 2 cleared off the line as well and one of them looked in.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012