Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 10:52:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Olowu  (Read 1778 times)

Ryaldinhio

• Forum Member
Olowu
« on April 09, 2024, 11:21:18 pm by Ryaldinhio »
Another top game from the lad. People were concerned of him filling in for Anderson, given his performances I don't see Anderson walking back into the team.

Athletic, quick, anticipates play, puts players under pressure as they receive the ball. Really rate him.

I think this young lad can be something special for us. Amazing what a difference playing with Wood has made to his and others game.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 11:42:28 pm by Ryaldinhio »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Butchers Red

• Forum Member
Re: Olowu
« Reply #1 on April 09, 2024, 11:46:03 pm by Butchers Red »
Another top game from the lad. People were concerned of him filling in for Anderson, given his performances I don't see Anderson walking back into the team.

Athletic, quick, anticipates play, puts players under pressure as they receive the ball. Really rate him.

I think this young lad can be something special for us. Amazing what a difference playing with Wood has made to his and others game.

100% spot on - like Big Tom benefiting enormously from playing alongside GRANITE and with Sir TLT behind him - full backs not bad either - oh and then theres the protective blanket of Messrs Bailey and Craig !!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on April 10, 2024, 12:34:56 am by BillyStubbsTears »
He's always had the physical traits needed. It's just been that he never seemed to be switched on to the thinking needed to be a defender. But he's been absolutely magnificent this last 3 games. No way does Anderson walk back in on Saturday.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on April 10, 2024, 12:46:30 am by selby »
  Yes he has been very good coming back in, and has played a big part in our revival.

colincramb

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 10, 2024, 06:13:03 am by colincramb »
I will put my hands up and say I was one of the ones that voiced my concerns on here when he stepped up for TA. But he’s been utterly brilliant. Well done Joe

Dabbermoo

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 10, 2024, 09:37:54 am by Dabbermoo »
JO has massive massive potential, I think whatever it was that was missing has now clicked and he gets it, I firmly belive he could be a future captain of this club, him and JMc could be a defensive partnership for years to come if both fulfill there potential and they have 2 very good top pros to learn from in TA and RW. Add to that the possibility of signing TLT on a permanent and keeping OB then what a spine of a team from the back to set up with, this season is finishing g off with absolute quality, bring on next season whichever league it may be.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 09:40:26 am by Dabbermoo »

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 10, 2024, 10:05:58 am by andyst79 »
Early days but if he can maintain this level he could potentially prolong Woods career. Wood being the organiser and attacker of the high balls but utilising Olowu's pace as cover behind along with Maxwell & Sterry also.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 10, 2024, 10:11:22 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
He's found the right partner.  3 excellent performances and he may now finally realise that potential he has.  He seems much more focussed.  He was also very much wanting to prove a point to Faal last night, clearly good friends and I enjoyed that battle.

Harsh on Anderson but Olowu keeps his place for me.

TonySoprano

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 10, 2024, 10:48:31 am by TonySoprano »
He's turning into some player. I also think he'd comfortably win a 100m sprint against any of the squad.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 10, 2024, 11:45:21 am by Spud »
He's turning into some player. I also think he'd comfortably win a 100m sprint against any of the squad.

The moment near the end when he was in the right back position & the guy knocked the ball by him, Joe was pretty much stationary & the guy already in motion looking like he'd done him, yet he still turned around & beat him to it.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on April 10, 2024, 11:52:53 am by Filo »
Some of us never doubted his ability

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on April 10, 2024, 11:59:58 am by silent majority »
Some of us never doubted his ability

Yep, I was one of those too. I always thought he had the talent and natural ability and I made concessions because he was a young lad playing, for the most part, in a team that had no confidence.

I always hoped he’d show his qualities before everybody got fed up and forced him out.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on April 10, 2024, 12:00:48 pm by Mike_F »
I've given Joe my vote for MotM last night. He definitely keeps his place as far as I'm concerned. Nice problem to have.

RoversInSpain

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on April 10, 2024, 12:14:50 pm by RoversInSpain »
I thought that he’d been dreadful, for a long time and would happily have seen him shipped out.
Though always felt he was a very decent lad.

Please keep proving me wrong Joe.
And huge congratulations on the last 3 performances.
Great for him and great for Rovers.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on April 10, 2024, 12:14:56 pm by Colin C No.3 »
There were plenty of us who gritted our teeth when he was named on the team sheet & although I never criticised him on the forum (full marks to colincramb for having the gonads to hold his hands up) I worried about his pondering on the ball, poor distribution & general all round perceived ‘rabbit caught in the headlamps feeling’ when an opponent closed him down when in possession.

But my word, since he’s come in & played alongside Richard Wood, he’s like a new signing. Calmer, more comfortable in possession, playing with his head up, more awareness of what’s going on around him all added to the natural athleticism we knew he had in his locker.

Is it a coincidence that ‘Big Tom’ & Joe have shown their best form playing next to Woody? I think not.

Wood is a real organiser on the field. Talking & cajoling, praising & ‘eyebrow raising’ when necessary crikey, don’t tell me he isn’t the catalyst for raising the game of whoever plays alongside him.

idler2

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on April 10, 2024, 12:25:09 pm by idler2 »
There were plenty of us who gritted our teeth when he was named on the team sheet & although I never criticised him on the forum (full marks to colincramb for having the gonads to hold his hands up) I worried about his pondering on the ball, poor distribution & general all round perceived ‘rabbit caught in the headlamps feeling’ when an opponent closed him down when in possession.

But my word, since he’s come in & played alongside Richard Wood, he’s like a new signing. Calmer, more comfortable in possession, playing with his head up, more awareness of what’s going on around him all added to the natural athleticism we knew he had in his locker.

Is it a coincidence that ‘Big Tom’ & Joe have shown their best form playing next to Woody? I think not.

Wood is a real organiser on the field. Talking & cajoling, praising & ‘eyebrow raising’ when necessary crikey, don’t tell me he isn’t the catalyst for raising the game of whoever plays alongside him.
I think that Wood has given him the confidence that was lacking. He always had the ability but possibly not enough self-belief.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on April 10, 2024, 01:30:19 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yes, I think the main issue with Joe has been confidence. We know he has ability and potential but he suffered, stemming from that injury breaking his cheekbone, and it's taken sometime to build himself back up. He's been greatly helped by TLT behind him and the combination of Wood and Anderson but also those in front of him too. Having that pause while Wood and Anderson did their thing has clearly helped him along with McCann showing the faith in him when the time came.

His achilles heal was avoiding the aerial confrontations, quite often found marking empty space when crosses were coming in but gradually, he's stood up to both the aerial challenges and thrown his body on the line to make vital blocks. His natural pace is and could be even more of a weapon if he's given the right encouragement.  I'm not sure he knows how good he could be if he continues to show more composure in tight situations. That comes with lots more games and experience with the backing of a good manager and teammates.

The thing we are still  lacking, which would be icing on the cake, and reward for their efforts, is contributions to the goal tally from our back 4. There's time yet.

Bills view

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on April 10, 2024, 05:34:43 pm by Bills view »
Good point. How many do we score from set plays?

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on April 10, 2024, 10:37:58 pm by Canadian Rover »
He looks to be playing through some pain, I dare say Richard Wood has been an example to many to play through pain. Joe has been great stepping in for Tom, I bet Jay McGrath and Bobby Faulkner are chewing at the bit to get a crack in the team. Hopefully Joe continues to be undroppable.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012