Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 12:33:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Craig vs Close  (Read 2277 times)

monkeytennis

• Forum Member
Re: Craig vs Close
« Reply #30 on May 15, 2024, 07:15:36 pm by monkeytennis »
Just looking through the end of season player data and in a comparison these two lads are remarkably similar in output. Maybe the Craig replacement is already here.

Craig carries out slightly more defensive actions per 90 than Close- 21.48 vs 17.5 but Close has a higher success rate at 72.5 vs 60.6.

In possession very very similar although close does his work a bit higher up the pitch.

Looking forward to seeing Close in (potentially) a better team best season.

I don’t think that data can take account of the willingness of players to challenge for the ball. In this respect Craig was always in the thick of it. Close never seemed to risk injury (perhaps wisely), but nevertheless was not as exciting or effective. I shall never be convinced that you can make the ultimate comparisons with data alone.

100% agree.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on May 15, 2024, 07:17:57 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Elliott Watt is available.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on May 15, 2024, 09:38:05 pm by Bessie Red »
We played better when Close was injured than when he played.

That's certainly not true of the first 2/3rds of the season.
We did in the last 20 games though Billy when Close and Westbrooke were side lined. Putting Bailey and Craig together after Bradford game were Close got injured turned our season round.
Prior to the end of Jan we played better & got better results when Close played, the turn around after Jan was mainly down to the lads brought in during the Jan window!

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on May 15, 2024, 11:15:55 pm by steve@dcfd »
He played in 20 league 2 games before he got injured we won 8. Yes the team improved after January transfer window but the midfield was far better from that point

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on May 15, 2024, 11:34:48 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
It's less definite to say the team played better without Close, but more definite to say the team played better with TLT, Starry, Maxwell, Anderson, Wood and Craig. All our other players benefitted for having that settled back 5 plus Craig's presence. Who's to say Close had he been fit, wouldn't have also had that better platform to perform? It also seemed to work for Biggins with Molyneux also getting progressively better.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on May 15, 2024, 11:55:12 pm by Bessie Red »
He played in 20 league 2 games before he got injured we won 8. Yes the team improved after January transfer window but the midfield was far better from that point
He was also involved in 2 draws in that 20 plus he basically got our season started with his late winner at Forest Green followed in the next game by scoring both goals against Gillingham!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on May 16, 2024, 12:33:55 am by BillyStubbsTears »

That's certainly not true of the first 2/3rds of the season.
We did in the last 20 games though Billy when Close and Westbrooke were side lined. Putting Bailey and Craig together after Bradford game were Close got injured turned our season round.

Apples and oranges.

Close never played in a team with a settled defence, with TLT, with Bailey in his proper position, with Adelakun up front, and rarely with Wood playing.

He played 20 matches before his season ended, in which we got 26 points. Not stellar, but in the 8 he was absent in that time we won none, drew 2 and lost 6.

Make your own conclusions.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on May 18, 2024, 03:15:32 pm by selby »
  I think the odd 5/10 yard square or backwards pass and a couple of fluke goals help people look at this player through rose coloured glasses.
  Not only was he a part of a poor side the first half of the season and injured for much of the rest, but he has been a large contributor to two poor seasons before and also missed many games injured in those seasons.
  It is just a carry on career the same as he had at Portsmouth in a team that underachieved and the supporters also commenting on their forum about the games he regularly missed through injury.
  The goals he scores can be negated by the holes around D of our penalty area he vacates and the opposition regularly  take advantage of and his complete lack of physicality and tactical fouls when the opposition attack his defensive area.
  The results since his absence speaks volumes.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on May 18, 2024, 03:17:07 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
  I think the odd 5/10 yard square or backwards pass and a couple of fluke goals help people look at this player through rose coloured glasses.
  Not only was he a part of a poor side the first half of the season and injured for much of the rest, but he has been a large contributor to two poor seasons before and also missed many games injured in those seasons.
  It is just a carry on career the same as he had at Portsmouth in a team that underachieved and the supporters also commenting on their forum about the games he regularly missed through injury.
  The goals he scores can be negated by the holes around D of our penalty area he vacates and the opposition regularly  take advantage of and his complete lack of physicality and tactical fouls when the opposition attack his defensive area.
  The results since his absence speaks volumes.

And the results in his absence in the first 2/3rds of the season? What do they say?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on May 18, 2024, 03:35:13 pm by selby »
  Billy, he was part of a team 3rd/4th bottom of the league in the new year, and  relegated the season before, dumped out of cup competitions by u21 sides and non league teams and you would bet your house on him and trying to make a case for him against a lad who played in a record time of results for the club, yeh ok.
  And to add to that you can add probably one of the most inept displays by any player v Kings Lynn, when their number ten if he had not checked his pockets before returning to their team bus would have taken him home with him, and going out of EFL cup games to u21s sides.
  We need new and better, some of the process has started, and sorry but he has to come a long way to win me over no matter what stats say, he has had no more than a couple of really good games since he arrived here, and flatters to deceive. Get in his face and be physical and he is poor, take him on and you go past. too easily, and rarely plays the killer ball.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 03:49:38 pm by selby »

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on May 18, 2024, 03:53:27 pm by Alan Southstand »
My own conclusion:

Waste of time comparing as Craig is so far ahead of him.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on May 18, 2024, 03:54:16 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Selby

You are drifting off into a totally different question.

BessieBlue

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on May 18, 2024, 05:10:53 pm by BessieBlue »
No disrespect to the Selby kid but I'm pleased Grant McCann is our manager - I trust him to pick the players for our team.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on May 18, 2024, 05:20:22 pm by selby »
  On that I agree with you Bessie, but even Pep makes mistakes and has sacked some off in short time when they don't do the business, and Close hasn't here.
  I hope against hope he converts me, but he has a lot to do.

BessieBlue

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on May 18, 2024, 05:50:10 pm by BessieBlue »
We all have opinions on players and most of us amateurs are likely to be way off beam.

I think the football played today is very different from that played say 20 years ago when Penny took Rovers through the two promotions.

For what it's worth (and that ain't much!!) Craig busied himself in front of the back four - he made himself available and rarely gave away possession. I see Close being a more creative player and better suited to a more forward role. I would say neither Craig or Close are 'midfield destroyers' as some might coin a phrase but its more about positioning in the press when the opposition have the ball.

I never saw John Oster as a tackler but he was worth his weight for his creativity and the balance of the team when he played in it.

I would have liked to see Close and Craig in the same team - but then again me being me it may not have worked at all!

andyst79

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on May 18, 2024, 06:24:44 pm by andyst79 »
A good point on Oster Bessie , he was a superb player for us but I have to agree with Selby , Close won't get us out of this division we need better

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on May 18, 2024, 06:53:59 pm by scawsby steve »
"The Selby kid". By God, Brian, there's a compliment there.

I'm sure if Bessie saw me, he or she would be impressed by my eternal youthful looks.

Then again.......

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on May 18, 2024, 07:02:13 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
We all have opinions on players and most of us amateurs are likely to be way off beam.

I think the football played today is very different from that played say 20 years ago when Penny took Rovers through the two promotions.

For what it's worth (and that ain't much!!) Craig busied himself in front of the back four - he made himself available and rarely gave away possession. I see Close being a more creative player and better suited to a more forward role. I would say neither Craig or Close are 'midfield destroyers' as some might coin a phrase but its more about positioning in the press when the opposition have the ball.

I never saw John Oster as a tackler but he was worth his weight for his creativity and the balance of the team when he played in it.

I would have liked to see Close and Craig in the same team - but then again me being me it may not have worked at all!

I agree with all that. Sometimes players are better complimented by others and teams spend time and money looking for those elusive combinations where the sum is better than the parts.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012