Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 12:04:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Keeper situation  (Read 8936 times)

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
Re: Keeper situation
« Reply #30 on May 19, 2024, 10:31:36 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Don’t think Jones is that far off l standard if not there already. Yeah he’s got a weakness or two but that’s true over most at this level.

We just saw the difference having a keeper a level or two above can do.

If he’s not happy to be a nr 2 who pushes the 1st choice then we need to let him go. Wouldn’t be surprised if he makes a decent career at it though maybe after a step down like the lads at Chesterfield.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on May 23, 2024, 07:45:19 am by ncRover »
Wouldn’t surprise me if it was maybe Tommy Simkin - highly rated England u20 keeper at Stoke. They have big plans for him.

Spent the 1st half of last season on loan at Solihull so Sbarra link there. Looked like he did well. Good distribution and shot stopping stats.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on May 23, 2024, 09:18:55 am by Chris Black come back »
If we do bring in a loan keeper, then I don’t know how you explain having Jones and Lawlor both on the books. Weird decision by McCann to sign Lawlor.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on May 23, 2024, 09:21:17 am by DearneValleyRover »
If we do bring in a loan keeper, then I don’t know how you explain having Jones and Lawlor both on the books. Weird decision by McCann to sign Lawlor.

To be (Blunt) he might have had no choice

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on May 23, 2024, 09:43:14 am by DonnyOsmond »

Re-signed Jones last summer too.

anton123

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on May 23, 2024, 10:07:13 am by anton123 »
Might let jones have a year loan in conference as a number 1 and lawler as no2 here

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on May 23, 2024, 10:19:47 am by DonnyBazR0ver »

There's different ways of handling contracted players. Now, I was as surprised as everyone when he re-signed Lawlor having already relegated him to no 2 in his previous spell but, maybe he just got in some insurance at little cost.

Now of course having two on the books when we need an upgrade us not ideal but given they're under contract, you can put the ball in their court whilst not burning our bridges during the search for a better option.

Which of them will be knocking on McCann's door and asking where they stand? Do they want to compete and play or just be happy to sit on their contract?

If they're not happy then I'm sure McCann will offer to help them find a new club.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on May 23, 2024, 10:25:29 am by Filo »
Where they stand?

They’re goalkeepers, they should know where to stand lol

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on May 23, 2024, 11:34:04 am by MachoMadness »

Re-signed Jones last summer too.
Jones I can understand due to the homegrown player requirement and the potential he could improve. Lawlor signing was baffling at the time though and only looks more so now.

Struggling to think of the last permanent keeper we had who really inspired confidence. Ross Turnbull maybe?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on May 23, 2024, 11:46:02 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Did Lawlor do much wrong before injury?  He certainly started the season well.

Petche

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on May 23, 2024, 12:06:52 pm by Petche »

Agreed, didn't think he'd done much wrong. Specifically remember the first game of the season where he kept us in it for long periods.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on May 23, 2024, 12:33:38 pm by Jonathan »
He didn’t do a great deal wrong, and for me he’s a good number two. It’s his strength on balls into the box that worries me, he’s rooted to his line and it seems to cause panic at the back. Similar with Jones. It’s harsh to say but we need better if we’re to challenge at the top. TLT provided that. It sounds like we are making progress towards acquiring a new keeper and for me that’s a real positive as it’s a real priority. We await further details…

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on May 23, 2024, 12:47:00 pm by drfcsteve »
If we start the season with Lawler and Jones then it should be Lawler for me, but I hope we bring in better.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on May 23, 2024, 01:12:09 pm by Pancho Regan »
If we start the season with Lawler and Jones then it should be Lawler for me, but I hope we bring in better.

To be honest I'd find it hard to choose between them.

Jones is a good shot-stopper and his distribution is generally good, but his positioning can be questionable and both he and Lawlor scare me to death at crosses into the box. They are both also too ponderous and lacking in composure when trying to play out from the back, so we lose that option as an outlet (which was one of TLT's strong attributes).

You can just seem to sense that the defence are nervous with either of these two in goal, whereas they all looked confident and calm in front of TLT.

So in summary we definitely need an upgrade if we want to challenge at the top of the table.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on May 23, 2024, 02:08:02 pm by Alan Southstand »
The mindset of the Club is changing (or has already changed) in that we’re no longer aiming to be ‘in and around the play-off’s’, but we are aiming to be Champions.
That is a different culture altogether and it then brings a change in player/squad criteria. GM is changing/tweaking to suit a sustained drive for the top spot and if we miss out by 1 or 2 positions, so be it.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on May 23, 2024, 02:08:44 pm by glosterred »
Both Jones and Lawlor when they played at the start of the season were playing behind a back 4 that wasn’t at its best. The back 4 didn’t improve much until Woods returned from injury and gained match fitness, which I believe coincided with the run of good form we showed at the back end of the season.

COYR

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on May 23, 2024, 02:12:39 pm by roversdude »
Alternatively the back 4 weren’t at their best because they weren’t being marshalled from behind by the keeper??

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on May 23, 2024, 02:54:22 pm by ForsolongaRover »
My memory may not be the best, but I do not recall McCann ever praising Jones for his performances. You might expect there to have been games when the phrase that “the goalkeeper kept us in the game” would feature in manager’s comments, but I do not recall having heard him say this in relation to Jones.

Lawlor who was McCann’s first choice has the edge in athletic ability and compared with Jones does not seem obviously short of general confidence. When he was here first he seemed particularly vulnerable to long range shots. Despite seeming physically capable of getting to the ball he did seem to time his saves  properly.

It is unfortunate that we lost Lawlor to injury and had to revert to Jones and couldn’t bring in a loanee because Jones was “experienced”. So McCann was stuck with him and no alternative. That he brought in a loanee in the January window illustrates his recognition of the weakness in that position.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member

Albert Trousers

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on May 23, 2024, 04:48:44 pm by Albert Trousers »
Alternatively the back 4 weren’t at their best because they weren’t being marshalled from behind by the keeper??

Nail on the head.

richtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on May 23, 2024, 05:36:11 pm by richtherover »
My memory may not be the best, but I do not recall McCann ever praising Jones for his performances.

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers-boss-hopes-goalkeepers-luck-is-changing-and-praises-world-class-save-4338896

Spooky. Anyone notice the advertising board behind him with the logo TLT?

Cramby10

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on May 23, 2024, 05:47:50 pm by Cramby10 »
I’ve been thinking this for quite some time. I’m sure he put in some man of the match performances. Whilst he wasn’t as good as TLT I don’t quite get the hate for him.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on May 23, 2024, 05:54:52 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I’ve been thinking this for quite some time. I’m sure he put in some man of the match performances. Whilst he wasn’t as good as TLT I don’t quite get the hate for him.

I don't see hate on this thread but reasonable assessments of his strengths and weaknesses, same for Jones.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on May 23, 2024, 06:09:26 pm by grayx »
My thoughts exactly.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on May 23, 2024, 07:22:28 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Where they stand?

What about Dahlberg at Hillsb...

Withdrawn!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on May 23, 2024, 09:40:26 pm by drfchound »
Where they stand?

Apparently Dahlberg didn’t.

Sammy Chung was King

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on May 24, 2024, 01:45:45 am by Sammy Chung was King »
If you want to win a league, neither goalkeeper is good enough. We need two, the pair of them need to go.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on May 24, 2024, 08:04:39 am by roversdude »

I don't see hate on this thread but reasonable assessments of his strengths and weaknesses, same for Jones.
There were a small group at Mansfield who were intent on ripping Lawlor to bits, it was embarrassing-myself and a few other fans told them to pack it in

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on May 24, 2024, 09:06:33 am by Michael Shaw »
I think it's fair to say that both Lawlor and Jones are good goalkeepers, but the question is "would we have got to 5th place with either of them in goal?". We will never know, but personally, I doubt it. TLT had that extra quality we will need next season if we want the top slot and I suspect most of us know it. If TLT was to return (no matter how unlikely) wouldn't we all feel much safer and happier?

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on May 24, 2024, 09:17:36 am by DearneValleyRover »
I’m with Sammy we aren’t winning the league with either of them in goal.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012