Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 12:17:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Keeper situation  (Read 8967 times)

Cramby10

• Forum Member
Re: Keeper situation
« Reply #60 on May 24, 2024, 07:01:23 pm by Cramby10 »
But we won the league 1 with Woods in the sticks. I’d argue he was worse than both of our current keepers.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Ryaldinhio

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on May 26, 2024, 08:21:47 pm by Ryaldinhio »
Been linked with Joe Whitworth of Crystal Palace, highly rated youngster coming through.....don't know how much truth is in it.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on May 28, 2024, 02:28:55 pm by ForsolongaRover »
But we won the league 1 with Woods in the sticks. I’d argue he was worse than both of our current keepers.

He was never popular personally like Jones seems to be. Also, considering how many of our wins in that season were narrow ones, Woods would have had to have been incredibly lucky if he really was as bad as you think. (I always thought he was OK and Saunders must have rated him.)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on May 28, 2024, 06:08:30 pm by scawsby steve »

He was never popular personally like Jones seems to be. Also, considering how many of our wins in that season were narrow ones, Woods would have had to have been incredibly lucky if he really was as bad as you think. (I always thought he was OK and Saunders must have rated him.)

You've got me puzzled here, FR. If it was just an opinion that you think Woods was better than Jones, then OK, but you've absolutely slaughtered Jones on here all season, then you come out and say that Woods was OK, when most people rated him as being very poor.

Regarding the wins being narrow, have you forgotten who that back 4 were? Even I could have done well behind that defence.

Well, maybe not, but you know what I mean.

ForsolongaRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on June 01, 2024, 01:40:12 pm by ForsolongaRover »

You've got me puzzled here, FR. If it was just an opinion that you think Woods was better than Jones, then OK, but you've absolutely slaughtered Jones on here all season, then you come out and say that Woods was OK, when most people rated him as being very poor.

Regarding the wins being narrow, have you forgotten who that back 4 were? Even I could have done well behind that defence.

I take your point about consistency, but I did genuinely think Woods was OK. I remember him as being very athletic. I rated a lot of the loan keepers we had more recently much more than most people on here too, and have kept quiet about them when others have criticised them. Perhaps I admire an adventurous spirit in footballers and with goalkeepers perhaps you can be deceived into thinking they are better than they really are. Going back to Harry Gregg we used to think he was often a bit crazy coming out of his goal much more often that was “fashionable” at the time, but he set the trend and was great to watch.

donnyallday

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on June 01, 2024, 05:21:55 pm by donnyallday »
Garry Woods was average at best, Flynn knew that, that's why he played Sullivan towards the end of the season to make sure we won the promotion back to the championship.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on June 01, 2024, 05:51:22 pm by scawsby steve »

I take your point about consistency, but I did genuinely think Woods was OK. I remember him as being very athletic. I rated a lot of the loan keepers we had more recently much more than most people on here too, and have kept quiet about them when others have criticised them. Perhaps I admire an adventurous spirit in footballers and with goalkeepers perhaps you can be deceived into thinking they are better than they really are. Going back to Harry Gregg we used to think he was often a bit crazy coming out of his goal much more often that was “fashionable” at the time, but he set the trend and was great to watch.

In my whole lifetime, Harry Gregg was the second best keeper in the world after Gordon Banks.

His athleticism was astonishing, especially when he somehow kept out shots that were heading straight for the top corner.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012