Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 11:50:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: General Election  (Read 22470 times)

wilts rover

• Forum Member
Re: General Election
« Reply #30 on May 22, 2024, 07:50:56 pm by wilts rover »
Well it's going to be a record breaking GE whatever happens. No Prime Minister has ever called a GE so far behind in the polls - so he is either going to have a record turn-around or a record thumping.

Last time we had an election in July was 1945 btw.

That's right, Wilts. The only trouble is, Starmer's no Clem Atlee.

And Sunak is certainly no Churchill!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on May 22, 2024, 07:53:54 pm by ravenrover »
Rich-ie must be in trouble when even La Kuenssberg can only come up with one good reason for, inflation figure, but numerous against him calling an election

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on May 22, 2024, 07:59:27 pm by Copps is Magic »
Sunak's had his moment of power and now will be cashing in more lucrative jobs post PM. I think the Lib Dems will make a massive comeback in this election by those tory voters who know the party is in disarray but won't vote for labour.

I'm still shocked he walked out in the pissing rain to announce it. He must have known how it would look.

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on May 22, 2024, 08:01:54 pm by Iberian Red »
I’ll vote for whoever pledges to stop non UK residents voting in UK elections

Ooh.
You lickle Englander.

Abandon the UK, forfeit the right to have a say about the UK pretty logical id say.

With that narrowed minded mentality,'abandon' Doncaster and forfeit the right to support Rovers.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on May 22, 2024, 08:03:37 pm by drfchound »
So in the spirit of togetherness and to end the years of bickering, I’m hoping, nay expecting, that all members of this forum do the right thing for their families and themselves. (except hound who should vote for Jethro Q Bunwackett Stubble and Boot in the slab of concrete)
So remember to VOTE LABOUR on July 4th.
Thank you.

Tommy, are you losing the plot my friend?
You should know by now that I’m with you and will be voting Labour this time.
I really need to know if they can turn thing around as you and others have been promising.
Jethro won’t be able to count on me.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on May 22, 2024, 08:05:35 pm by Filo »
Word is that there were enough letters gone in to enable a leadership challenge, so he’s thrown them all under the bus

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on May 22, 2024, 08:09:47 pm by albie »
Very strange from Sunak in terms of timimg, given he was speaking of an autumn election a few days ago.

Maybe he has wind of a plot to unseat him, with the letters going in to the 1922 Committee, so he has decided to jump before being pushed.
Perhaps he has just had enough, and wants out to follow a more lucrative option outside politics.

Good riddance whatever, it has been a complete shitshow like the government before him!

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on May 22, 2024, 08:10:35 pm by Iberian Red »
All over people changing votes,
along with their overcoat,
if Adolf Hitler flew in today,
they'd send a limousine anyway.

Absolutely fAcking incredible that certain people want the country to fail with a change of government.
Treasonable

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on May 22, 2024, 08:13:41 pm by danumdon »

So expats living in Spain?

I do find it weird that foreign nationals who have been here for many years can't vote in a GE.

If they are ordinarily resident here and paying taxes then I’d agree.

If they pay UK tax then regardless where they find themselves they should be able to vote.

Remember we also allow millions of none taxpayers to vote in this country, is that the right thing to do?

We also have forum members who think you should not be allowed a vote if they consider you are not "bright" enough, go figure!

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on May 22, 2024, 08:17:01 pm by Iberian Red »

I do find it weird that foreign nationals who have been here for many years can't vote in a GE.

If they pay UK tax then regardless where they find themselves they should be able to vote.

Remember we also allow millions of none taxpayers to vote in this country, is that the right thing to do?

We also have forum members who think you should not be allowed a vote if they consider you are not "bright" enough, go figure!

Who DD?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on May 22, 2024, 08:18:42 pm by drfchound »

Absolutely fAcking incredible that certain people want the country to fail with a change of government.
Treasonable

I haven’t seen anyone say they want to see the country fail if there is a change of government.
Can you show us where that happened.
I assume you are talking about the UK.

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on May 22, 2024, 08:21:11 pm by Iberian Red »

Treasonable

I haven’t seen anyone say they want to see the country fail if there is a change of government.

Fantastic

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on May 22, 2024, 08:23:26 pm by drfchound »

Treasonable

Fantastic

So, no one wants the country to fail then.
Just more of your made up stuff.
How’s the weather over there today?

TonySoprano

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on May 22, 2024, 08:25:43 pm by TonySoprano »
Interesting theory doing the rounds is that rishi wants out because he doesn't want to be a war time prime minister.
That we are at war with Russia and just haven't told us yet, and that they will tell us at some point this summer .

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on May 22, 2024, 08:30:01 pm by drfchound »

That last sentence dd, I remember that being posted.

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on May 22, 2024, 08:30:17 pm by Iberian Red »

Treasonable

Fantastic

Graham,why not try to contribute to debates rather than snidey sniping and asking silly questions all the time?
It's the type of shit a golf club bore does.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on May 22, 2024, 08:32:44 pm by danumdon »

Who DD?

You'll have to do your own research, its in the forum.

You never know, they may just come on and tell you themselves.

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on May 22, 2024, 08:33:11 pm by Iberian Red »
Interesting theory doing the rounds is that rishi wants out because he doesn't want to be a war time prime minister.
That we are at war with Russia and just haven't told us yet, and that they will tell us at some point this summer .

Was that on Tok Tok news?

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on May 22, 2024, 08:34:50 pm by Iberian Red »

Who DD?

You'll have to do your own research, its in the forum.

You never know, they may just come on and tell you themselves.

No names then?

Don't get me wrong,I do like some Tories. Thatcher is a prime example.

She's dead.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on May 22, 2024, 08:35:48 pm by Ldr »

Ooh.
You lickle Englander.

Abandon the UK, forfeit the right to have a say about the UK pretty logical id say.

With that narrowed minded mentality,'abandon' Doncaster and forfeit the right to support Rovers.

Nope, but I dont expect to be able to vote in Doncaster and have an effect on the lives of people who do live there.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on May 22, 2024, 08:45:11 pm by drfchound »

Treasonable

Treasonable

Fantastic

Graham,why not try to contribute to debates rather than snidey sniping and asking silly questions all the time?

I was contributing to the thread until you hijacked it.
You made the accusation which I have highlighted above and when I looked to see who you were on about I couldn’t see anywhere where people said they wanted  the country to fail so I asked you who it was.
Very obviously, you couldn’t do that so resorted to your usual tactics.
However when I was looking back through the thread almost all of your posts are arguments with other posters, or me, except for the one where you agreed with bst which of course isn’t a surprise to anyone.
Now try to behave like a grown up and leave the thread to those of us who want to have a discussion, there’s a good lad.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on May 22, 2024, 08:48:49 pm by tyke1962 »
So there it is , the big fight everyone is desperate to see actually consists of the first bout of the evening on the undercard , the one when there's less than 200 people watching in a stadium holding 80k .

You couldn't get any less lightweights  if this was the flyweight division for dwarfs .

The pre fight press conference consisted of one saying I'm a conservative and the other saying he's not .

If it pysses it down on election day like it's done today nobody will even bother to turn up at all , the ticket sales are likely to be thin gruel anyway .

The truth of the matter is that neither of these two party's are fit for purpose today and should have retired years ago when the first signs of punch drunk emerged .

About 1979 for one of the contestants and 1997 for the other .

ncRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on May 22, 2024, 09:10:20 pm by ncRover »
SS.

Two possibilities.

1) The latest headline growth and inflation figures are as good as it's going to get. There's a strong chance that inflation will be rising again in the next few months, according to some economists I've been looking at, so maybe Sunak reckons this is the best time.

2) There have been rumours going round for weeks that there'd be a Tory coup to replace Sunak. His best defence against that would be to call an immediate election.

What are the potential factors contributing to another inflation increase?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on May 22, 2024, 09:15:56 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
SS.

Two possibilities.

1) The latest headline growth and inflation figures are as good as it's going to get. There's a strong chance that inflation will be rising again in the next few months, according to some economists I've been looking at, so maybe Sunak reckons this is the best time.

2) There have been rumours going round for weeks that there'd be a Tory coup to replace Sunak. His best defence against that would be to call an immediate election.

Oil, shopping and wages are all things that have increased recently.

I don't think there are many good news pieces coming really for some time. At least until the conflicts around the world end.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on May 22, 2024, 09:31:45 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
SS.

Two possibilities.

It's not going to skyrocket like it did 2 years ago, but the CPI drop today was a bit of an exaggeration of the real, underlying state. That's because in the current CPI calculation, the fact that energy prices in April were well down on those from a year before had a big deflationary effect. But that's a once and for all effect. Energy prices will be broadly neutral on inflation for the rest of the year, because the price in say Sept 24 will be very similar to the price in Sept 23.

So, all other things being equal, CPI inflation will move closer to the core inflation figure which excludes volatile prices like food and energy. Core inflation is currently at 3.9% and coming down very slowly.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on May 22, 2024, 09:37:44 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
And for those expecting a change in the polling over the 6 week period, we dont really normally see that.  You'd be hard pushed to bet against a labour majority of some size.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on May 22, 2024, 09:40:22 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Good start for Sunak

The light reflecting off the rain on his jacket made it look like he was being shit on by a flock of pigeons. And you couldn't hear a word he was saying because someone was banging out Things Can Only Get Better.

It gets better.
Sky News have broadcast live their political correspondent being manhandled out of Sunak's campaign launch.

I thought they were shit at... y'know...running the country. Looks like they are just shite at everything. The campaign has started as an absolute car crash.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on May 22, 2024, 09:41:26 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
And for those expecting a change in the polling over the 6 week period, we dont really normally see that.  You'd be hard pushed to bet against a labour majority of some size.

Unless Starmer gets caught on video skinning alive a baby, Labour are stuck on for a 200 seat majority over the Tories.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on May 22, 2024, 09:46:00 pm by Filo »
How many Portillo moments will there be on election night?

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on May 22, 2024, 09:48:03 pm by Iberian Red »

Treasonable

Treasonable

Fantastic

I was contributing to the thread until you hijacked it.
You made the accusation which I have highlighted above and when I looked to see who you were on about I couldn’t see anywhere where people said they wanted  the country to fail so I asked you who it was.
Very obviously, you couldn’t do that so resorted to your usual tactics.
However when I was looking back through the thread almost all of your posts are arguments with other posters, or me, except for the one where you agreed with bst which of course isn’t a surprise to anyone.
Now try to behave like a grown up and leave the thread to those of us who want to have a discussion, there’s a good lad.

Thanks for the telling off granpops.
I'll leave you old folk to vent your spleen and argue with the world.
Good luck wise man.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012