Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 11:11:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: National Servce  (Read 3065 times)

tommy toes

• Forum Member
Re: National Servce
« Reply #30 on May 26, 2024, 09:59:21 am by tommy toes »
Over the decades,youth crime has spiked at the same time as child poverty.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on May 26, 2024, 10:39:50 am by Glyn_Wigley »
It'll be interesting to see what happens when we get a fresh batch of military-trained 19-year-old yobs released back onto the streets every year.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on May 26, 2024, 10:46:56 am by danumdon »
What do people think about fit and able, long term unemployed?

Would an initiative of a similar nature have an effect in reducing this cohort?

Individuals in education, training, apprenticeships and work are already catered for.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on May 26, 2024, 10:53:40 am by Colin C No.3 »
My two years in the sea cadets cured me of sea sickness.

My stint in the Parachute Regiment cured me of my fear of heights.

My days as a submariner………don’t hold your breath.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on May 26, 2024, 11:03:28 am by BillyStubbsTears »
No. What makes you think that?

The National Service being proposed is for 18 year olds.

Old men of every generation have said something along the lines of “the youth of today are bad” but the world keeps spinning.

This.

I saw an article a couple of years ago that set out comments throughout history by old folk complaining about young folk's behaviour. The earliest one was from Ancient Greece.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on May 26, 2024, 11:14:00 am by selby »
  12 months could be worse than life in prison for murder, just imagine sharing a barracks with 18year old Billy ST, Kato, Glyn and Syd in your platoon.
  Christ almighty.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on May 26, 2024, 11:16:54 am by Colin C No.3 »
  12 months could be worse than life in prison for murder, just imagine sharing a barracks with 18year old Billy ST, Kato, Glyn and Syd in your platoon.
  Christ almighty.

That’s a ‘Carry On’ film I’d pay to watch!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on May 26, 2024, 11:23:15 am by SydneyRover »
  Christ almighty.

Is this for men too, I thought it was only for women?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on May 26, 2024, 11:40:25 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Cleverly (sic) this morning.

There won't be any criminal sanctions on people who refuse National Service.

So what are they going to do? Make refusers do Community Service?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on May 26, 2024, 12:20:31 pm by GazLaz »
The constant belief they “young people these days are useless” and need kicking into shape is just an atrocious one isn’t it.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on May 26, 2024, 12:25:53 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
It is Gaz.

But history suggests there's always been a significant minority of old folk in every generation who sign up to it.

Imagine spending your final years hating other people's kids...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 12:33:55 pm by BillyStubbsTears »

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on May 26, 2024, 12:32:51 pm by Sprotyrover »
  Christ almighty.

Is this for men too, I thought it was only for women?
They wouldn’t be in my Platoon, that lot would be digging Latrines!

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on May 26, 2024, 12:40:32 pm by Sprotyrover »
Well you all seem to be pulling our young folks down, I am sure there is a tranche of 60 k of each school year, who would make excellent National Service personnel, who on completing their 12 months would be eligible for the Police, Firebrigade, Nursing and Local council jobs, or maybe a Fee free Degree course! A percentage may stay on in their Arm of service ! As for the Yobs they should be made to do their own Form of National service digging Latrines
In ex colonial countries where the locals are completely incapable of digging their own latrines.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on May 26, 2024, 02:27:39 pm by drfchound »
I reckon more people would get behind National Service as a punishment, for example, police arrest someone for a lesser crime, carrying a weapon, assault, theft... Then they should be charged with time serving in the military and where they would learn discipline and assist with lowering over crowding in prisons. You don't need to enforce it on the 99% of young people who just want to learn/work and keep their heads down.

This is along the same train of thought that I have.
Just don’t let them go to McMillan afternoon tea events unsupervised.

mugnapper

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on May 26, 2024, 02:55:31 pm by mugnapper »
https://www.instagram.com/p/C7bvCpPoEdo/?igsh=NWd3ZXNrMTF2NHh2

3 days ago, the Under Secretary for defence said there were no plans to reintroduce National Service and gives the reason for that.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on May 26, 2024, 03:04:25 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
https://www.instagram.com/p/C7bvCpPoEdo/?igsh=NWd3ZXNrMTF2NHh2

3 days ago, the Under Secretary for defence said there were no plans to reintroduce National Service and gives the reason for that.

Yeah but three days ago was a different Universe. There were still people in the Tory party thinking Sunak was actually capable of campaigning effectively.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on May 26, 2024, 03:18:06 pm by SydneyRover »
I reckon more people would get behind National Service as a punishment, for example, police arrest someone for a lesser crime, carrying a weapon, assault, theft... Then they should be charged with time serving in the military and where they would learn discipline and assist with lowering over crowding in prisons. You don't need to enforce it on the 99% of young people who just want to learn/work and keep their heads down.

Unfortunately with the police, justice and prison systems in a mess ...............

''Police are being instructed to consider making fewer arrests because of the lack of space in prisons. A letter from the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC) circulated last week urges chief constables to think about "pausing" so-called "non-priority arrests".

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cv2274gdk10o

mugnapper

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on May 26, 2024, 03:27:56 pm by mugnapper »

Unfortunately with the police, justice and prison systems in a mess ...............

''Police are being instructed to consider making fewer arrests because of the lack of space in prisons. A letter from the National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC) circulated last week urges chief constables to think about "pausing" so-called "non-priority arrests".

Conscript them into the army too. Now there's an idea lol

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on May 26, 2024, 05:10:10 pm by DonnyOsmond »

Then they'll just carry on doing as they're doing.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on May 26, 2024, 05:23:46 pm by ravenrover »
And the finance according to Notso will be coming from the Levelling Up fund

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on May 26, 2024, 05:29:17 pm by wilts rover »
I think it's a great idea.

Cut the numbers and funding for the professional armed services, close their bases and instead get a load of untrained young people who don't want to be there, with no-one to train them and nowhere to base them, to defend the country instead. What could possibly go wrong.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on May 26, 2024, 05:57:21 pm by ravenrover »
Will these young people be paid, after all some of the positions Notso listed are paid or does Compulsory voluntary cover it?
Wonder what Rich-ies girls think about this mindst you doubt they could get called up from California

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on May 26, 2024, 06:51:07 pm by SydneyRover »
This is not a rebirth of 'Big Society' that was also going to ............. ?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on May 26, 2024, 07:51:51 pm by River Don »
I'm not sure this works on a practical level.

18 year olds going into higher education must volunteer their weekends to the nation?

Many in higher education rely on paid work at the weekend to make their studies possible, these days.

Those not going into higher education have to join the army for a year but not on a full salary? This is an attempt to bolster the armed forces on the cheap.

I can't see this coming to pass, even if the Tories were to retain power somehow.

It does look like a back of the fag packet idea, brain stormed yesterday afternoon to try and attract back Reform voters.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 07:55:27 pm by River Don »

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on May 26, 2024, 08:25:25 pm by River Don »

Fit and able long-term unemployed is a tiny proportion of the population now.

Very few are unemployed for longer than twelve months these days. They represent the natural turnover in the workforce.

Of the very few left who are long-term unemployed, it's a fair bet a good proportion are over 55 and facing discrimination in the work place.

Beyond that, there are probably a very few with undiagnosed mental health problems.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 08:35:27 pm by River Don »

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on May 26, 2024, 08:35:58 pm by danumdon »

Fit and able long-term unemployed is a tiny proportion of the population now.

Very few are unemployed for longer than twelve months these days. They represent the natural turnover in the workforce.

Of the very few left who are long-term unemployed, it's a fair bet a good proportion are over 55 and facing discrimination in the work place.

Beyond that, there are probably a very few with undiagnosed mental health problems.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52660591

https://www.health.org.uk/evidence-hub/work/employment-and-underemployment/trends-in-unemployment-and-long-term-unemployment

Iberian Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on May 26, 2024, 08:39:57 pm by Iberian Red »

Individuals in education, training, apprenticeships and work are already catered for.

That's a very well thought idea DD.

Rather then go for 18 year olds,let's recruit Frank Gallagher and Nab Nesbitt.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on May 26, 2024, 08:43:08 pm by River Don »
DD those figures back up my point. Only 1.2% of the population are unemployed. A historically low level.

Of that group, most are only out of work for twelve months or less.

danumdon

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on May 26, 2024, 08:48:24 pm by danumdon »

That's a very well thought idea DD.

Rather then go for 18 year olds,let's recruit Frank Gallagher and Nab Nesbitt.

Not sure who Nab Nesbitt is, but its good to see your comprehension skills are still right up there.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012