Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 11:55:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sam Hird scapegoat  (Read 2801 times)

wing commander

• Forum Member
Sam Hird scapegoat
« on February 24, 2010, 09:18:54 am by wing commander »
Sam must be thinking he's getting a bit of a hard deal and quite frankly hes got a point,it was bad enough that he was benched so a plainly unfit Martis could take his place,then he was benched again so Shackell could return to the team about ten minutes after being discharged by the DRI.A descision that cost us Shackell for probably the rest of the season.
   Sam then has two great games against Forest and the Wendies and then one not so great one against QPR when nobody did.Result dropped again so that a unfit Roberts can play.Personally i thought Ward was poor against QPR as well and i thought he was very poor last night,he might be able to bycycle kick but if he wants a contract here he's going to have to show a lot more nouce than that,when the ball hit the net last night he had only just crossed the half way line.!!
    Absolutely ridiculous and quite frankly if i was Sam hird i would be worried for my future here because if your a centre half and can walk or even limp you get the nod.
   I know a lot of you say hes young and should wait his turn but Hirds confidence will soon be shot and he will probably think if the club cat pulled on a shirt and claimed to be a centre half he would get the nod over Sam.
   I dont normally criticise SOD on here as the thread oes off topic while we are all reminded how great he is and i dont disagree,but sometimes you have to say your piece.lol  :angry:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Re:Sam Hird scapegoat
« Reply #1 on February 24, 2010, 09:35:16 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Ward was rubbish last night? He barely put a foot wrong, despite Roberts at the side of him having a shocker.

You cannot blame Ward for the goal. He was in Leicester's 6 yard box for the corner. They scored within 10 seconds of Mutch's header. Linfird fcuking Christie couldn't have chased back to make a challenge that quickly. You'd be better off asking who the he'll out of our midfield was hanging back from the corner, when we left Roberts one-on-one with Waghorn.

Whoever picked Oster as MoM wants raking to a big dog. He was shocking last night - barely picked a pass all night. Ward and O'Connor were excellent and obvious choices fir MoM. John Buckley called it spot on on Radio Dee Dah before the match, saying that when Zoster plays deep in midfield, we lose his creativity going forward, and his lack of discipline is often a liabity when we are defending. That is precisely what happened last night.

Poor team selection last night without a doubt. We started with Mutch in the Stock role and barely touched the ball for the first 10 mins as we totally gave up the initiative to Leicester.  Whatever skills Mutch has, intelligent positional play in front of the defence is clearly not among them - he looked like a kid playing with the Mesters for that first 10 mins. Shiels never got into the game - why was Hayter dropped after two superb performances last week? We looked far more threatening when Hayter came on. And I hope to God that Roberts is not yet fit, because his defending was dreadful last night.    Three really bad selection mistakes from O'Driscoll there and they all badly backfired.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on February 24, 2010, 09:49:26 am by wing commander »
We will have to disagree about Ward,although everything else was spot on which for us Billy is better than normal.lol.When we have a corner you cant have both centre halves over the half way line,one has to stay.
  Roberts has had a good season for him,but doesnt have one of the main attributes you need to be a full back at this level which are strength,height or speed.We were bullied at Leicester and were bullied for the majority of the first half last night,very poor tacticts from SOD.
  One of my other main worries is Billy,we cant keep expecting him to play upfront at home on his own,we are playing sat,tues every week at the minute and we will burn him out at this rate.!

Surrey Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on February 24, 2010, 10:21:34 am by Surrey Rover »
wing commander wrote:
Sam must be thinking he's getting a bit of a hard deal and quite frankly hes got a point,it was bad enough that he was benched so a plainly unfit Martis could take his place,then he was benched again so Shackell could return to the team about ten minutes after being discharged by the DRI.A descision that cost us Shackell for probably the rest of the season.
   Sam then has two great games against Forest and the Wendies and then one not so great one against QPR when nobody did.Result dropped again so that a unfit Roberts can play.Personally i thought Ward was poor against QPR as well and i thought he was very poor last night,he might be able to bycycle kick but if he wants a contract here he's going to have to show a lot more nouce than that,when the ball hit the net last night he had only just crossed the half way line.!!
    Absolutely ridiculous and quite frankly if i was Sam hird i would be worried for my future here because if your a centre half and can walk or even limp you get the nod.
   I know a lot of you say hes young and should wait his turn but Hirds confidence will soon be shot and he will probably think if the club cat pulled on a shirt and claimed to be a centre half he would get the nod over Sam.
   I dont normally criticise SOD on here as the thread oes off topic while we are all reminded how great he is and i dont disagree,but sometimes you have to say your piece.lol  :angry:

If you look at the two goals conceded at QPR in detail its easy to see why SOD left him out last night. For the first goal he lets the player he's marking run into the inside left channel doesn't track him and asks James O Connor to go with him when O'Connor is actually marking someone else. The cross comes over and Hird is stood motionless marking nobody. 1-0 to QPR

For the build up to the second goal Hird is marking Simpson but as the ball is lofted into the box Simpson pulls off Hird receives the ball unchallenged and we've lost the game.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on February 24, 2010, 10:24:50 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Surrey Rover wrote:

If you look at the two goals conceded at QPR in detail its easy to see why SOD left him out last night. For the first goal he lets the player he's marking run into the inside left channel doesn't track him and asks James O Connor to go with him when O'Connor is actually marking someone else. The cross comes over and Hird is stood motionless marking nobody. 1-0 to QPR

For the build up to the second goal Hird is marking Simpson but as the ball is lofted into the box Simpson pulls off Hird receives the ball unchallenged and we've lost the game.[/quote]

Sorry but I disagree for both, the first goal, the cross came from the wide man, O Connor should have been marking him and for the second it was actually Ward who lost his man.

Surrey Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on February 24, 2010, 10:33:46 am by Surrey Rover »
O'Connor is tracking the player who's come inside from wide left, he can't mark two players. Hird is close to Simpson for the second then lets him go as the ball is played forward, the ball is played over the top of Ward why does Hird let Simpson go free when he's initially marking him?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on February 24, 2010, 11:10:08 am by Filo »
wing commander wrote:
Personally i thought Ward was poor against QPR as well and i thought he was very poor last night,he might be able to bycycle kick but if he wants a contract here he's going to have to show a lot more nouce than that,when the ball hit the net last night he had only just crossed the half way line.!!

f**king hell! if he could have got back that quick after going up for a corner, he`s in the wrong sport 100M gold and a world record would be a definite. The fact that Roberts was so easily shrugged of the ball is of more concern for me

kyle17balby

« Reply #7 on February 24, 2010, 11:31:49 am by kyle17balby »
i kinda agree hird will end up like guy...! did you see guy with his head down at begining of last season nahh.. and look how unconfident he is now :/

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on February 24, 2010, 11:45:49 am by bedale rover »
the fact is i made o'connor man of the match  he was excellent playing in the \"hird\" role

they had 2 very quick wingers who put our full backs to the sword in the first half

they were exactly the team we always come a cropper against big powerful and quick added to that we didnt seem to have the bounce of the ball

ho hum

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on February 24, 2010, 11:46:25 am by bedale rover »
ditto

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on February 24, 2010, 12:35:53 pm by wing commander »
Filo, my argument was not that he couldnt get back, more that the centre halves should talk and decide who goes up and who stays.They were both upfield when the ball went upfield.Wether Roberts was culpable is not in doubt but he should never have been left one on one from a boot upfield.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on February 24, 2010, 12:38:43 pm by 5minstogo »
The quick corner didn't help as neither defender was in the box before it was taken. Good effort from Mutch and maybe a bit more power on the header and we're maybe talking about winning a match.

Its a fine line in this league.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on February 24, 2010, 12:59:39 pm by DonnyNoel »
wing commander wrote:
Filo, my argument was not that he couldnt get back, more that the centre halves should talk and decide who goes up and who stays.They were both upfield when the ball went upfield.Wether Roberts was culpable is not in doubt but he should never have been left one on one from a boot upfield.

But in most teams its the norm for both DCs to go up for corners as they are usually the best aerial threat. Then either both FBs or an FB and a midfielder will stay back. Yes Roberts shouldn't have been left one on one but thats poor communication from other players, not Ward or JOC. Usually it was Wilson staying back or sometimes Chambers with Roberts - guess the quick corner caught them out upfield before one of them had chance to get back.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on February 24, 2010, 01:22:26 pm by Drover »
Surrey Rover wrote:
wing commander wrote:

For the build up to the second goal Hird is marking Simpson but as the ball is lofted into the box Simpson pulls off Hird receives the ball unchallenged and we've lost the game.

I disagree too,WARD stands and watch's both goals,the first he is more bothered about the linesman giving offside or not but makes no attempt to chase incase there is a save to cover or clearance to be had,Same for the second goal but does not look for offside he just stands and watches.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012