Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 02:58:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: the Dons  (Read 2680 times)

watto-drfc

• Forum Member
the Dons
« on March 07, 2010, 05:40:31 pm by watto-drfc »
looks like being another long season

challenge cup result

Doncaster 0-26 Siddal

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
Re:the Dons
« Reply #1 on March 07, 2010, 05:50:43 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Speaking of things vaguely egg-shaped - on the BBC site I see Doncaster RFU have won some Anglo-Irish league pool - beating the likes of Cardiff and Pontypridd and Ayr (??)

Is this a real achievement - certainly beating Cardiff sounds great - or is there less to this than meets the eye?

And yes - it looks a very long season for the Dons possibly evoking long best forgotten memories.

jonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 07, 2010, 05:58:37 pm by jonrover »
watto-drfc wrote:
looks like being another long season

challenge cup result

Doncaster 0-26 Siddal

I'm afraid to say its pretty much a waste of time. There is simply no interest in the game in this town any more. It hasn't been the same since John Desmond ripped the heart and soul out of the club back in the 90's. Plus they are competing against the union version of the game for supporters. I think this season could be the last. I prefer to watch Toll Bar now anyway.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on March 07, 2010, 11:36:41 pm by CusworthRovers »
I was at The Knights v Cardiff game on Valentines Day. Donny were awesome. In the 2nd half I don't think Cardiff had it in our half.

I thought Cardiff Blues were giants of the RFU world? Not sure if they had players on 6 nations duty or what.

As for The Dons, I spoke to the father in law who's been going from year dot. He informs me Donny weren't/aren't good enough. To be fair though Siddall are the top Amateur side around. Aren't Dons practically Amateur status anyway.

As said above, I'm not sure how many rescue packages they can go through. I'm not sure they can compete anymore with the success of Rovers and The Knights. The local businessmen or public don't seem to be wanting to be associated with a working class, un-fashionable sport like this especially in the shadows of the other 2.

IMO, a fresh/last chance for the Dons would be to downscale and move back to the North side of Donny, which is traditionally the heartbeat of RL in the town (aside from Thorne and Rosso). Maybe grow a fan base from there.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on March 08, 2010, 12:13:40 am by eastender »
Just to clarify things there are two professional rugby union teams in Cardiff.

Cardiff RFC who play in the Welsh premier league and play at Cardiff Arms Park

(This is the team the Doncaster Knights beat)..and

Cardiff Blues who play in the Magners league and play at the Cardiff City Stadium.

Both teams are owned by Cardiff RFC.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012