Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 01:31:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Play Offs  (Read 9101 times)

MrFrost

• Forum Member
Play Offs
« on March 16, 2010, 09:53:44 pm by MrFrost »
We have a real chance of making the play offs now.
If we can keep the momentum going and keep our players fit we have got every chance of making them.

Some huge games coming up. Sheff Utd on Saturday, Blackpool at Easter. If the Donny public can't get behind us now then they never will.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Guernsey Exile

• Forum Member
Re:Play Offs
« Reply #1 on March 16, 2010, 09:54:43 pm by Guernsey Exile »
I wonder who will be taking the M1 to Wembley and who will take the A1

Fooking awesome!!!!!

Biggles

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on March 16, 2010, 09:58:52 pm by Biggles »
I can't start thinking about making the playoffs, the excitement would kill me.

washyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on March 16, 2010, 10:04:46 pm by washyrover »
Full house on saturday then.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on March 16, 2010, 10:05:51 pm by not on facebook »
play off's my arse

there i have said it

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on March 16, 2010, 10:09:18 pm by BobG »
Exactly Olso. If we agree that 70 points is about what you need to get in the play offs, that means we need 19 points from 9 games. Not impossible. But pretty unlikely. More than 2 points a game is Championship form.

BobG

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on March 16, 2010, 10:13:37 pm by MrFrost »
Yep, your right. Silly me. Lets settle for mid table and not even dare to dream.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on March 16, 2010, 10:14:33 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yeah, but this might be as close as we get. Let's dream on for a few days and wind the blunts up !

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on March 16, 2010, 10:19:25 pm by not on facebook »
i would love to be wrong, but i cant  see it as rovers

are far too 'inconsistant'.

one defeat is all it will take for 'play off' thinkers
to wake up and smell the coffee.

that all aside it's a great step for rovers to build on next term

ScillyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on March 16, 2010, 10:20:22 pm by ScillyRover »
BobG wrote:
Exactly Olso. If we agree that 70 points is about what you need to get in the play offs, that means we need 19 points from 9 games. Not impossible. But pretty unlikely. More than 2 points a game is Championship form.

BobG

Totally true Bob, but we 'Oldies' have waited a long, long time to be in this dream of a position. Let's ALL believe that this is possible, get behind the lads and GO FOR IT ! I'm a strong believer in fate coupled with belief and a strong determination can fulfill your dreams. All to play for... we have nothing to lose.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on March 16, 2010, 10:20:57 pm by RoversAlias »
I don't truly think we'll make the play-offs either, but you can't ignore the fact that we are just 4 points away from the top 6 now! This is an amazing feeling, we should all just enjoy it for as long as it lasts! I really hope we can finish top 10 and secure our best EVER league finish. How amazing and brilliant would that be?

LongbridgeMGRover

« Reply #11 on March 16, 2010, 10:25:12 pm by LongbridgeMGRover »
the grim spectre of relegation still haunts us. only 13 points above Scunthorpe.

i really fear for us losing our Championship status.

and if we went into administration at the end of the season we could be battling to stay in the third tier next year.

god that was a horrible nightmare i have just woken up from.

i actually feel something really special is unfolding in front of us. Football's greatest ever story is having another chapter written......

can't be there saturday but looking forward to battling the barcodes in a weeks time.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on March 16, 2010, 10:25:48 pm by BobG »
Ooh I am ENJOYING tonight like there'll never be another one. This is the highest league placing I have EVER seen Rovers occupy. Ever. I'm going to photograph every single table I can find.

Bloody hell.........!

BobG

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on March 16, 2010, 10:27:06 pm by not on facebook »
if i have the table right cardiff are in last play off spot 4pts infront
but having played a game less which might make it 7 points

add to this and most important rovers have played cardiff home/away so nothing to gain there

barnsley are a point behind us with a game in hand,to which as far down as reading
as they are two games behind us but it's possible for them to overtake rovers
but slim chances

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on March 16, 2010, 10:39:23 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
We have some tough games, but so do Cardiff and Swansea. I think Blades have to play them both, as well as them playing each other. Barnsley are in the fixture mix and let's not doubt that they can do some damage as well.

If we win one and lose 2 of the next three, then we're still there or thereabouts. There are still a few twists and turns for us to endure.

I think Sean will be going for the wins. It certainly paid off tonight !

ferribyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on March 16, 2010, 10:47:53 pm by ferribyrover »
Has anyone ever seen us higher than this?
This really is the impossible dream.
Let's just enjoy.

SkellowRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on March 16, 2010, 11:04:11 pm by SkellowRover »
\"IF\" we get 7 points from our next 3 matches with how difficult they will be then maybe we can start to think about the play offs, but imho it's not worth getting excited about otherwise.

Guernsey Exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on March 16, 2010, 11:06:49 pm by Guernsey Exile »
Cardiff go out of business!!!!  Rovers move up!!!!!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on March 16, 2010, 11:07:27 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
oslorovers wrote:
i would love to be wrong, but i cant  see it as rovers

are far too 'inconsistant'.

Wrong Olso.

If there's one consistent theme that we've seen under O'Driscoll's reign, it's that we get into very long, CONSISTENT runs of form - good and bad. If (IF!) we are hitting one of his gem-like runs of good form, then I'd have us down as favourites to make the 6th place.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on March 16, 2010, 11:15:00 pm by not on facebook »
BST hope iam wrong fella

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on March 16, 2010, 11:16:49 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
BobG wrote:
Ooh I am ENJOYING tonight like there'll never be another one. This is the highest league placing I have EVER seen Rovers occupy. Ever. I'm going to photograph every single table I can find.

Bloody hell.........!

BobG

Couldn't agree more Bob. This is beyond our wildest dreams for this season, let alone from 12 years ago.

I've long thought that the two ways that a manager can get fans to like him are a) to play attractive football or b) to overachieve relative to expectations and resources.

O'Driscoll has now done BOTH for three years in a row. Whatever happens between now and May, tonight's table alone means that we have massively overachieved, and on the way, we've played football the like of which I never dreamed I'd see from a Rovers side, like that performance at Hillsborough.

It's been a sometimes mystifying route, but you have to take your hat off to the man. On the verge of becoming THE finest manager that we have ever had.

thornerover94

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on March 16, 2010, 11:26:12 pm by thornerover94 »
it took 74 last season for preston to scrape in on gd i think our main focus at the moment is beating last seasons points of 58 and hopefully finishing as high as possible hopefully come may it will be the playoffs, and picture this 24th april rovers need a win  for playoffs Scunthorpe lose and there relegated that could be interesting

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on March 17, 2010, 12:02:56 am by MrFrost »
7 years ago we were playing non league football.
We are now talking about the play offs to get into the Premiership. How the f*** don't we get any media coverage?!

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on March 17, 2010, 12:11:23 am by RobTheRover »
Shhhhhh!

On tippy toes, everyone.  LEts get in there before anyone sees us coming.  Ninja mode on!

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on March 17, 2010, 12:29:51 am by MrFrost »
Just done the BBC predictor thingy and i've got us finishing in 9th on 65 points with Middlesbrough getting 6th place with 70.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on March 17, 2010, 05:53:36 am by not on facebook »
mr frost i wonder how points you would have got for rovers if you did the bbc pts
predictor just before you put this thread up

my guess donny would have that last play off spot,which is more than understandable
as we all live in hope

what gets my goat and 'if onlys' is the points that rovers have dropped in so called
soft games,plymouth away and reading/boro at home come to mind

i suppose thats football 'if onlys and buts'

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on March 17, 2010, 06:42:21 am by The Red Baron »
BobG wrote:

BobG

Bob- given the spread of points this season someone might sneak 6th place with around 68 points. That would be six wins from nine, or five and a couple of draws.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on March 17, 2010, 08:41:52 am by steve@dcfd »
My worry about getting to the playoffs is the defence without Shackell or Ward I believe we will have problems against the taller and sides already in thye promotion positions. But if we can finish in top ten and get 63 points it will have been a very good season especially with injuries we have had.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on March 17, 2010, 09:03:39 am by DonnyNoel »
steve@dcfd wrote:
My worry about getting to the playoffs is the defence without Shackell or Ward I believe we will have problems against the taller and sides already in thye promotion positions. But if we can finish in top ten and get 63 points it will have been a very good season especially with injuries we have had.

If I'm putting my pessimist hat on - my biggest fear would be getting to the play offs and not going up which I think would put our players on other teams radar and we'd be set for a summer of fending off bids.

Probably played too much football manager but I think if we finish 8th/9th/10th, keep what we've got under the radar and then add in summer then 2010/11 could be interesting...

weststander

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on March 17, 2010, 09:10:15 am by weststander »
Given that many of the squad are either on loan or out of contract,there can't be many bids, as players will be allowed to leave for free unless under 24.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012