Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 08:38:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: heffernan to be released by donny  (Read 9571 times)

topnotch_Donny

Re:heffernan to be released by donny
« Reply #30 on May 05, 2010, 06:22:22 pm by topnotch_Donny »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

bessacarrover

« Reply #31 on May 05, 2010, 06:28:27 pm by bessacarrover »
http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=463&fid=221&sty=2&act=1&mid=2121719756

i think Sheffield united are interested

'Forget Bogdanovic, Heffernan offers more qualities, is quite quick and can finish. He'd be happy to play a bit part role, and not much in wages.
Would any of you take him?'

topnotch_Donny

« Reply #32 on May 05, 2010, 06:32:25 pm by topnotch_Donny »
bessacarrover wrote:
http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=463&fid=221&sty=2&act=1&mid=2121719756

i think Sheffield united are interested

'Forget Bogdanovic, Heffernan offers more qualities, is quite quick and can finish. He'd be happy to play a bit part role, and not much in wages.
Would any of you take him?'

Thanks. I went to the correct page and copied the URL, but it kept directing me to the main page?

Thanks for correcting it.

bessacarrover

« Reply #33 on May 05, 2010, 06:46:19 pm by bessacarrover »
its Alright  :)

RoversDave

• VSC Member
This would have made a great exit
« Reply #34 on May 05, 2010, 07:20:07 pm by RoversDave »
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISveHuxHfFs[/video]

topnotch_Donny

Re:This would have made a great exit
« Reply #35 on May 05, 2010, 07:49:12 pm by topnotch_Donny »
RoversDave wrote:
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISveHuxHfFs[/video]

I bet it took him ages getting over that when he knew he was going to be out the door.

Hayters missed a few sitters too.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on May 05, 2010, 08:39:01 pm by bpoolrover »
the stats have been good for heffs in previous years i agree, has anyone got the stats for this year thou?

topnotch_Donny

« Reply #37 on May 05, 2010, 09:33:18 pm by topnotch_Donny »
bpoolrover wrote:
the stats have been good for heffs in previous years i agree, has anyone got the stats for this year thou?

It has been different this season though.

If Heffs had a chance and given a good run, he would reach the heights of last season.

The problem is injuries and having been knocked down too often. He must be gutted having done what he did last season only to be last choice striker again this season.

He's going now so no point arguing the matter. Fingers crossed SOD brings in another natural goalscorer as we have none at the club at the minute.

Savvy

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on May 05, 2010, 09:43:58 pm by Savvy »
topnotch_Donny wrote:
Savvy wrote:
Can't believe we haven't had any cash offers for him if he was that good! vastly over-rated in my book and certainly not good enough to lace Peter Kitchens boots!

Heffs has been injury prone during his career. However, he is proven good enough. How can you even argue when the stats are there straight infront of you?

Take a look behind the stats and see just how compelling the evidence actually is. Just how many of these goals were scored against lower level opposition  at the time and in meaningless JPT games and the like.  I knew the Heff can do no wrong brigade would be out with the rose tinted glasses waxing lyrical with meaningless comparisons designed to cloud the issue. Its called head in the sandism and fails to answer the fundamental question of why we havent got a  fee for him or had clubs queuing up to sign him if he was that good!!

The one thing I do agree on is that he should be given a warm reception if he ever returns to the moat!

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on May 06, 2010, 04:49:31 am by PDX_Rover »
Heffs is one of my all time favourite Rovers players.  The goal against Villa was a peach and apart form scoring against Derby, laying on that goal with that deft touch was the only other thing of note Lewis Guy contributed IMO.

Fare thee well Heffs.  You've been great for us.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on May 06, 2010, 09:02:02 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Savvy wrote:

Take a look behind the stats and see just how compelling the evidence actually is. Just how many of these goals were scored against lower level opposition  at the time and in meaningless JPT games and the like.

'kin 'ell lad, there's a whole Internet of information out there. If you wanted, you could find your answers in a couple of minutes.

The answer is that Heffernan's scoring record for us is like this:

35 goals in 88 League starts (presumably those were aginst sides who were in the same division as us at the time?)

4 goals in 5 FA Cup starts (3 against sides in the same division as us at the time, one against a team a division below us - that goal, in a replay, confirmed a victory against a side that we had struggled badly against in the first match and gave us a 14,000 home tie against a Premiership club as a reward)

4 goals in 6 starts in the League Cup (1 against a side a division below us. 1 superb finish against a Premiership side when we were in L1).

10 goals in 10 JPT starts (3 against sides from a division below us. The majority were crucial goals in our run to Cardiff.)

You reckon that was pointless? Ryan doesn't think so. He has commented often enough abotu that being our first ever national cup final. The 18,000 fans who went to Cardiff didn't think it was pointless. The Crewe opposition didn't think t was pointless in the semi-final. Presumably they were trying just a little bit when Heffernan scored four against them. O'Driscoll didn't think so - he knew how vital that Cup run was: were were utter gash in the league for the thick end of 12 months and that cup run was the one indication that we might be heading in the right direction. O'Driscoll himself said that the cup win bought him some time. Would he have survived a run of 45 points from 38 matches between Feb-Dec 2007 without that cup win? (Despite this, and very pointedly, O'Driscoll uttered not one word of praise for the player who scored 9 goals in that run, just like he didn't utter a single word of praise for him last season when he scored the 10 goals in 19 matches and utterly transformed our season.)

As a by the way, Heffernan's record of league goals (35 in 88 starts) is a fair bit worse than Billy Sharp's no question (85 in 166 starts). Since you have an obsession about the quality of the opposition, consider the two players' records in the Championship. Heffernan has 10 goals in 25 starts, Sharp has 23 in 70 starts. Heffernan's rate is significantly better.

I knew the Heff can do no wrong brigade would be out with the rose tinted glasses waxing lyrical with meaningless comparisons designed to cloud the issue. Its called head in the sandism and fails to answer the fundamental question of why we havent got a  fee for him or had clubs queuing up to sign him if he was that good!!
[/quote]

Actually, what clouds any issue is meaningless opinions with little fact to back them up. And as I've commented many times before, the fact that no-one has signed Heffernan means absolutely nothing. It is an argument predicated on the assumption that managers are perfectly rational decision-making machines. Experience shows that this is not correct.

Managers get it wrong all the time. Our own manager thought that Mark Wilson was a better player than Paul Green and admitted that he was \"surprised\" by how well Green played when he finally selected him.

The simple and easy rebuttal of course is to turn it round and ask why no-one is beating a path to Bramall Lane to sign Billy Sharp.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on May 06, 2010, 09:45:34 am by bobjimwilly »
BST: I would of thought the easy answer as to why no-one is as desperate to sign Billy as you might think is due to him having a year left on his contract, a much bigger signing fee and bigger wages?  

Heffs is available on a free and much smaller wages, and you would of thought with his comparable stats and skills to Sharp, people would be desperate for such a striker :S

awsworth_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on May 06, 2010, 02:32:00 pm by awsworth_rover »
Im amazed how short peoples memories are. Heffernan deserves massive amounts of credit for his goals and professionism whilst being at DRFC. When not selected, he wasnt moaning and stipping his dummy out, he just got on with it. A credit to football, and more players with his attitude would make football a much more respected sport. Id like to see him go back to notts. Ive heard once Kasper leaves there wage bill is back to a manageable level. Graeme Lee at the back, Ravenhill in the middle and heffernan up top. Hooters round the corner. My 2nd team!!!!

newtownjoe1

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on May 07, 2010, 12:53:17 am by newtownjoe1 »
Bobjimwilly people are interesed in Heffs and if you can think about it for a minute,,,,,
Why would they pay ( and you to sawwy) a fee for a player that whose contract is allowed to run down by the club he is signed to.Donny or should i say SOD does not want to re sign Heffs ( fair enough) thats
His decision but he does not have to go on and publically announce that his agent is at fault, ie wages and demands etc, Paul was waiting for the club to begin initiating a contract extention in august of last year but it never happened. His agent asked a question and was told that the club were leaving all contracts talks until the end of the season.Well excuse me for being naieve, if i went to my gaffer and asked him what about re newing my contract as it is near ending and was told to wait and see, I would see it as a concern,and thats putting it mildly.So SOD comes out and says we looked at Heffs and we could not agree with his demands,THERE WERE NO DEMANDS FROM A GREEDY AGENT all that was asked was are you interested in re signing Heffs. For there to be a negociation it takes two sides,Donny did not say at any time , this is what we will sign Heffs up for and Heffs agent never got to say on what Donny what to offer BECAUSE THERS WAS NO OFFER. Simple as SOD does not want Heffs and That is the truth off the matter.AND SO BE IT. I just wish people could be honest and up front in their dealings with each other but in an media exploited industry its rarely going to happen.I will finish on this. Heffs has enjoyed every moment (bar the sending of at Southend) and will cherrish the times and the friends he has encountered with DONCASTER ROVERS, it has coincided with the rebirth and the gaining of the championship level in the league.He was instrumentel in bringing Donny`s first league trophy to the club. He has been happy to have been a part of your history and all of you should be happy that he was here doing his part for you . Good night

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on May 07, 2010, 01:15:10 am by RobTheRover »
newtownjoe1 wrote:
Heffs has enjoyed every moment (bar the sending of at Southend) and will cherrish the times and the friends he has encountered with DONCASTER ROVERS, it has coincided with the rebirth and the gaining of the championship level in the league.He was instrumentel in bringing Donny`s first league trophy to the club. He has been happy to have been a part of your history and all of you should be happy that he was here doing his part for you . Good night

Joe, Only the most stubborn of the Anti-Heffs Brigade will disagree with that.  Please pass on our thanks to Paul for all his efforts over the past 5 years, as his contribution cannot be overstated.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on May 07, 2010, 02:32:04 am by PDX_Rover »
Hear hear Rob.  Joe, please give Heffs our best. One of THE best strickers (!) I've seen in 37 years following Rovers.  He deserves to play week in, week out and I hope he gets this.

Don't be a stranger Joe - hopefully we'll see you in the Lucky Pint next season?!

Cheers,

Mark B

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on May 07, 2010, 06:17:46 am by idler »
I agree wholeheartedly, good luck Heffs, you were a pleasure to watch. Best of luck in the future.

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on May 07, 2010, 07:14:31 am by Barmby Rover »
I suppose I ought to repeat myself on a thread like this. It is the managers decision not to resign Heffs, fair enough he is the manager and his decisions have been pretty good to get us where we are. I do think he has made a mistake with Heffs, a lack of honesty with the player has resulted in Rovers missing out on money. He should have told him at the end of last season to go, and got a fee for him, which with his scoring record at that time would have been easily possible. If you then bench your best striker for the whole season is it surprising that when he returns at the end he is less than sharp( pun not intended), and worth nothing? That is the waste in the Heffernan story at Rovers, to have some people then trying to denegrate what he has done for this club is ridiculous. If he is so bad Bobjimwilly why weren't you screaming for him to be dropped after the Villa win, or after the final in Cardiff? He brought some great wins to this club over his career and those of us with a memory longer than a goldfish will be forever grateful to Paul Heffernan, one of the greatest strikers that have ever played for the club. My best wishes go with him.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on May 07, 2010, 11:41:53 am by CusworthRovers »
BillyStubbsTears wrote:
There's no real debate to be had. Heffernan has scored 53 goals for us in 109 starts.

I appreciate you take the time out to research mate, but that above does not tally with what DROS is saying now ie

\"Striker Heffernan joined Doncaster Rovers back in 2005 from Bristol City, going on to amass 126 appearances for the Rovers whilst netting 35 goals during his time at the Rovers.\"

I can't be arsed to research it mate, as I have my views on Heffs and where we are now.....but you show him a goal ratio of 1 in 2 and they show him at 1 in 3.5 ish. That's a big difference. Just thought I'd point that out. However, I'm sure you are right.

Finally, Good Luck Heffs I am sure you can continue scoring (agreed, hope Joe stays on here). If we are to get a better striker, then the club comes first. We move on, the club moves on, the club has to adapt, has to improve...........the club has to conform to how the manager wants us to play and what type of player he wants. All the aces lay with Sean. One simply cannot argue with that, at this moment in time.

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on May 07, 2010, 12:20:58 pm by DonnyNoel »
CusworthRovers wrote:
BillyStubbsTears wrote:
There's no real debate to be had. Heffernan has scored 53 goals for us in 109 starts.

I appreciate you take the time out to research mate, but that above does not tally with what DROS is saying now ie

\"Striker Heffernan joined Doncaster Rovers back in 2005 from Bristol City, going on to amass 126 appearances for the Rovers whilst netting 35 goals during his time at the Rovers.\"

I can't be arsed to research it mate, as I have my views on Heffs and where we are now.....but you show him a goal ratio of 1 in 2 and they show him at 1 in 3.5 ish. That's a big difference. Just thought I'd point that out. However, I'm sure you are right.

Finally, Good Luck Heffs I am sure you can continue scoring (agreed, hope Joe stays on here). If we are to get a better striker, then the club comes first. We move on, the club moves on, the club has to adapt, has to improve...........the club has to conform to how the manager wants us to play and what type of player he wants. All the aces lay with Sean. One simply cannot argue with that, at this moment in time.

53 and 35 could just be a transposition typo.

scuzzer

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on May 07, 2010, 01:28:35 pm by scuzzer »
awsworth_rover wrote:
Im amazed how short peoples memories are. Heffernan deserves massive amounts of credit for his goals and professionism whilst being at DRFC. When not selected, he wasnt moaning and stipping his dummy out, he just got on with it. A credit to football, and more players with his attitude would make football a much more respected sport. Id like to see him go back to notts. Ive heard once Kasper leaves there wage bill is back to a manageable level. Graeme Lee at the back, Ravenhill in the middle and heffernan up top. Hooters round the corner. My 2nd team!!!!

See you in there Aggis lad!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on May 07, 2010, 01:42:56 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
CusworthRovers wrote:
BillyStubbsTears wrote:

Simple spadger.

DROS quotes Heffernan's League goals and ALL his League appearances (many, many of which were 5 minute sub appearances, chasing lost causes).

My numbers are his League + Cup goals and his League + Cup Starts.

For the record, Heffernan has 35 league goals in (I think) 88 league starts.

crossydrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on May 07, 2010, 03:02:24 pm by crossydrfc »
Tbh heffernan is a great player but hes not good enuff and hasent proved him self to be an out and out goal scorer in this league
all the best to the lad but we need some one that is a proven goal scorer in this league e.g Billy Sharp or Gary Hooper

TinyPortal © 2005-2012