Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 12:50:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: So much for loyalty  (Read 4235 times)

muff licker

• Forum Member
So much for loyalty
« on June 03, 2010, 08:23:11 pm by muff licker »
Seems Mr Kenny has forgot about the club that stood by him, allowed him to use their facilities and also the fitness coach etc, when they could quite easily have washed their hands of him and left him on the scrap heap.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_6189564,00.html

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

VikingJames

Re:So much for loyalty
« Reply #1 on June 03, 2010, 08:29:00 pm by VikingJames »
Loyalty is rare in football. We as Rovers fans should know that more than most after some of the events of the past 3 summers.

TheRev

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 03, 2010, 08:37:21 pm by TheRev »
The clubs have agreed a fee so what's the problem? If Sheff Utd didn't want to sell him they would surely have declined the offer but at £750k no wondered they agreed.

Boycie

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 03, 2010, 09:23:06 pm by Boycie »
Money talks as usual,I think he is one of the best keepers in this division and apart from missing this season I think he is a bargain at 750k

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on June 04, 2010, 09:35:47 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
TheRev wrote:
The clubs have agreed a fee so what's the problem? If Sheff Utd didn't want to sell him they would surely have declined the offer but at £750k no wondered they agreed.

They had no choice, that's a release clause in his contract that Kenny insisted upon being there.

TheRev

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 04, 2010, 08:14:20 pm by TheRev »
And the problem with that is? Sheff Utd agreed to it when he signed. He's been loyal and a damn good keeper for them. If they wanted him to stay they should have renegotiated his contract.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 04, 2010, 08:35:38 pm by Wellred »
TheRev wrote:
And the problem with that is? Sheff Utd agreed to it when he signed. He's been loyal and a damn good keeper for them. If they wanted him to stay they should have renegotiated his contract.[/quote

I presume you was quite happy for us to let Paul Green, Gareth Roberts etc etc go then?

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 04, 2010, 08:53:06 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
We let Paul Green go? His contract was up. We can't force him to sign another one if he didn't want to.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on June 04, 2010, 08:53:14 pm by RobTheRover »
Happiness has nothing to do with it.  They were at the end of their contract and chose to take contracts other clubs offered over the ones we did.  You cannot blame players who gave as much as them in the time they were with us for doubling their money.

TheRev

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 04, 2010, 09:11:58 pm by TheRev »
Wellred wrote:
TheRev wrote:
And the problem with that is? Sheff Utd agreed to it when he signed. He's been loyal and a damn good keeper for them. If they wanted him to stay they should have renegotiated his contract.[/quote

I presume you was quite happy for us to let Paul Green, Gareth Roberts etc etc go then?

You've missed the point. The original thread questioned his loyalty. He has been loyal. Now someone has come in and is willing to pay the release clause in his contract. Does that mean he's not loyal?
As for your point re Greenie and Gareth, the other 2 guys have answered for me - thanks lads  ;)
But just for you - no I wasn't happy when Greenie left but I wasn't suicidal either. Life carries on and players come and players go. We'll always have new \"heroes\" to shout for.

DMnumber4

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 04, 2010, 09:13:35 pm by DMnumber4 »
This all smacks me a bit like McIntyre's whole situation!

I think Kenny's case is different to Greeny's and Robbo's though. They hadn't been suspended for illegal substances! Not many clubs would stand by him / touch him with a barge pole after what went on, but credit where it's due, Sheff United did, and look how they are repaid.

The bid may have triggered a clause / it could have been accepted, but Kenny could have refused to talk terms as a gesture to the club and it's supporters and stayed out of loyalty.

Unfortunately his eyes got as big as his belly when he saw the pound signs flashing in London.

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 04, 2010, 09:25:17 pm by Dagenham Rover »
Sort of similar to a lad that thought life at Chester would be better than at Donny after being injured  for years...well near enough

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 04, 2010, 09:49:44 pm by Wellred »
I think some people on here need to take a reality check.
Footballers are mercenaries.
They will go to whoever offers the best pay packet.
We as supporters are loyal to our clubs, with very few exceptions footballers have no loyalty to a club. It is a job. A very well paid job that could end tomorrow.
I don't blame any footballer for moving to give him a good living and a good pension.
The biggest problem in football however is agents. They give footballers a bad name because of their greed.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on June 04, 2010, 10:40:12 pm by RobTheRover »
Agree wholeheartedly.  However, if you were told you had a ten year (ish) career ahead of you, wouldnt you think having a pro in your corner to maximise your earning potential was a good idea?

Agents have made the money that came into the game the property of the players at the very top, rather than see a fairer share find its way down the pyramid.  The problem for clubs at our level is that we are expected to ride on the Prem clubs shirt tails and pick up their cast offs on deals which make no sense financially for a club our size, hence we run the risk of finding strengthening a real difficulty.  Add to this the expectation of fans, and the exacerbation of certain clubs receiving parachute payments for being shite at a higher level, and the playing field cant get much wonkier.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 04, 2010, 10:47:40 pm by Wellred »
I agree Rob plus the fact that the average footballer is too thick to negotiate anything for himself.
Agents unfortunately are a necessary evil.
Bad for the game but invaluable for the players.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on June 04, 2010, 10:55:47 pm by BobG »
Dagger: I do believe that the certain Chester player left BV with the blessing of the entire club from top to bottom. His Dad was seriously ill. he lived over that way. He needed someone to do things around the house for him. I think the certain footballer therefore showed extreme loyalty - loyalty at a higher level than to a mere football club: especially when he almost certainly knew what a good club and team the Rovers were becoming and what he, therefore, was sacrificing.

Cheers

BobG

Jonathan

« Reply #16 on June 04, 2010, 10:57:23 pm by Jonathan »
BobG wrote:
Dagger: I do believe that the certain Chester player left BV with the blessing of the entire club from top to bottom. His Dad was seriously ill. he lived over that way. He needed someone to do things around the house for him. I think the certain footballer therefore showed extreme loyalty - loyalty at a higher level than to a mere football club: especially when he almost certainly knew what a good club and team the Rovers were becoming and what he, therefore, was sacrificing.

Cheers

BobG

Absolutely spot on. I think (hope) most of us would do the same in his situation.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on June 05, 2010, 12:11:21 am by CusworthRovers »
Yep seconded. I thought Kevin McIntyre was a then tremendous left back for us, and left for just reasons.

jucyberry

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on June 05, 2010, 07:18:50 am by jucyberry »
At the end of the day, who do you owe the most loyalty to?  Your place of work or your family? if you had the chance to earn more but in doing so you had to leave the place you have worked for a while, what would you do? Say I can't take a chance on doubling my wage because I have been here a few years? This is the real world and family comes before anything. In any other field of employment it would be seen as a lad trying to better himself I guess.

As has been said so many times before, footballers are doing a job of work. it is the club and supporters who are the constant, everything else in football constantly changes,

A bit like Triggers broom, it is still a broom even after several head and pole changes...  :laugh:

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on June 05, 2010, 07:37:53 am by Dagenham Rover »
BobG wrote:

Cheers

BobG

I stand corrected
tbh  I had forgotton about the family circumstances although now its been pointed out the old grey matters kicked into gear. This flippin getting old buisness plays bloody  havoc

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on June 06, 2010, 12:14:19 am by BobG »
You're dead right on that Dagger! Me and my brain seem to part company more than is good for me these days....

Actually, it's a fascinating thing to watch and to think about: the effects of aging. First the focal length of your eyes whizzes outward at a real rate of knots. Bloody nuisance if you read in bed every night like I do. Then your reaction times fall off a cliff. Again, a bloody nuisance if you feild at silly mid on and silly mid off like I do. And then your brain forgets how to wake up of a morning. Also a bloody nuisance when you still have to use it to earn a crust like I do.

It's a totally bizarre experience: driving the car you can definitely feel/hear/say to yourself: brake NOW! and absolutely f**k all actually happens. It feels like a geological age before your right foot actually begins to move. Wierd. Totally wierd.

Cheers

What was my name again?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012