Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:42:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: PR/Marketing  (Read 5137 times)

Old Popsider

• VSC Member
PR/Marketing
« on June 11, 2010, 01:19:22 am by Old Popsider »
GARTOM, the subject of PR/Marketing keeps being raised again and again and again and there never seems to be any sort of feedback from the club either via yourself from JR or the utterly useless DROS.

Next time you have a chat with JR, can you please raise this matter with him. As I've said in the past he is a great salesman and surely he cannot be anywhere near satisfied with the PR/Marketing people he has at DRFC?

I'm sure that all on here would love to have some feedback from the man himself on the issue.

Or is it another case of 'we know but we aren't telling?   ;)

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BLIR

• Forum Member
Re:PR/Marketing
« Reply #1 on June 11, 2010, 05:41:36 am by BLIR »
You're absolutely right about the standard of the PR and marketing teams within DRFC but what do you honestly expect JR to say?

He can't very well state that he thinks they are doing a cracking job as they clearly aren't. On the other hand, he can't say publicly that he thinks they're bobbins.

My guess is that he must secretly be disappointed with the way they are run and must be considering ways to improve them. This will have to be done out of the public eye, if at all.

JR is a very successful business man, I would have honestly thought he would have spotted these inadequacies well before now and addressed them already but this doesn't appear to be the case.

Strange, especially as he allegedly reads these boards and therefore would know what the general concensus is amongst the posters on here.

I know that if I had staff that performed as badly as these guys have consistently done (obviously I don't know the ins and outs of the team so it's only guesswork) I would have addressed them through either capability or performance long ago.

Smeg

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 11, 2010, 07:59:21 am by Smeg »
Mr Ryan has always employed a certain type of chief executive which results in the problems we see. Ask Bob G to explain.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 11, 2010, 08:01:39 am by godlike1 »
I agree wholeheartedly with what you've both said. As fans putting a few flyers together we saw that there was a genuine bigger interrest in the town about having a successful team and being part of that.

However if the club is inaccessible by not making these people aware through simple ideas like that then we are not going to build the fan base in the way in which is more than possible with a little bit of original marketing and thinking to get ourselves noticed across the whole of the borough.

It may be that they have a poultry budget but if that's the case they should come to the vsc with their ideas and we do it as a joint effort. The willingness is out there so they need to take advantage.

I'd just be happy knowing that they are actively trying to get more season ticket holders because although I'm like a broken record I truely belive we can acheive sales of 10,000+ out of a town with a 300,000 population to target

if you can get any info gareth I'd for one be very greatful

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on June 11, 2010, 08:39:12 am by Filo »
godlike1 wrote:
I agree wholeheartedly with what you've both said. As fans putting a few flyers together we saw that there was a genuine bigger interrest in the town about having a successful team and being part of that.

However if the club is inaccessible by not making these people aware through simple ideas like that then we are not going to build the fan base in the way in which is more than possible with a little bit of original marketing and thinking to get ourselves noticed across the whole of the borough.

It may be that they have a poultry budget but if that's the case they should come to the vsc with their ideas and we do it as a joint effort. The willingness is out there so they need to take advantage.

I'd just be happy knowing that they are actively trying to get more season ticket holders because although I'm like a broken record I truely belive we can acheive sales of 10,000+ out of a town with a 300,000 population to target

if you can get any info gareth I'd for one be very greatful

That`s our problem, we spend too much on Chickens  :laugh:

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on June 11, 2010, 09:02:47 am by CusworthRovers »
Damn you, yoooouuuu gipnag. I was poised with a decent 'don't count your chickens before they hatch' or 'eggs in one basket' response.

Gareth. Can we also ask Ryan when you next have a chat with him:

1. Do the club own a pen?
2. Is there more than 1 plug?
3. Are we going to relieve Mr Snail from his mail duties?

I'm sure the team on here can help out, if only they let us. We have sparkies, posties, scribblers, pc geeks and a rag and bone man in Stainy.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on June 11, 2010, 09:03:35 am by graingrover »
Example .... When I visited the club shop Tracey explained why there were no match videos anymore . She is obviously NOT responsible for getting the matches filmed ... and has no budget for it . Since I live abroad I would buy every DVD to keep up to date so I used the CONTACT us facility on DROS addressing my interest ( £250 budget per season for DVD's )to Mr Morris the Chief Executive .
 I did not expect a personal reply but thought he would pass it to the RELEVANT department . The fact that I have had no reply at all after three weeks indicates to me that there is NO relevant department. Now surely the provision of Match day DVD's is the responsibility of a Marketing Manager in the first instance ? I am sure this is just one example of the loss of potential extra revenue because there is no commercial planning and certainly no comprehensive Marketing Plan .
 i was one of those who tried to do something about it by contributing to the ( excellent) Fans Focus group plan . I have now given up on such much that is Rovers through total angry disillusionment at the lack of management at the club on all matters outside that of the playing side.

MANY exiled supporters would pay  for regular Match DVDs. I can only get them from competitor clubs for away matches !

adge

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 11, 2010, 09:25:49 am by adge »
as a business owner in doncaster let me just say i would have sacked every one connected with PR and marketing long ago.

Jonathan

« Reply #8 on June 11, 2010, 09:40:34 am by Jonathan »
The story Brian highlights above is another shocking example of the apathy (or is it antipathy) shown towards the fans. If JR is not aware of these goings on then he really should be. The ineptitude of senior figures below him is making a mockery of his hard work and investment.

In the role that Gartom occupies, it's reasonable to request that he feeds back this kind of example to the top level at the club and asks that they address the concerns of the consumers directly. The major problem stems from the fact that they'd probably get Gareth to use his own time to contact the custmoers, film the games, edit them, burn them to DVD and post them off himself!

Throughout my life this club has been lucky enough to have some wonderful volunteers that work tirelessly on behalf of the supporters, doing what they can with the time they have available. I won't name them all now as no doubt I'd unfairly forget some, but they know who they are. Anyway, I dare say they devote far more energy, hours, devotion and commitment to the cause than some of the senior salaried staff. They do this while holding down full time jobs and lives away from the club, I don't know where we (the fans) would be without them.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on June 11, 2010, 10:02:02 am by bobjimwilly »
CusworthRovers wrote:
...a rag and bone man in Stainy.

Let me gues...Filo?  :P

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 11, 2010, 10:29:10 am by MrFrost »
graingrover wrote:
Example .... When I visited the club shop Tracey explained why there were no match videos anymore . She is obviously NOT responsible for getting the matches filmed ... and has no budget for it . Since I live abroad I would buy every DVD to keep up to date so I used the CONTACT us facility on DROS addressing my interest ( £250 budget per season for DVD's )to Mr Morris the Chief Executive .
 I did not expect a personal reply but thought he would pass it to the RELEVANT department . The fact that I have had no reply at all after three weeks indicates to me that there is NO relevant department. Now surely the provision of Match day DVD's is the responsibility of a Marketing Manager in the first instance ? I am sure this is just one example of the loss of potential extra revenue because there is no commercial planning and certainly no comprehensive Marketing Plan .
 i was one of those who tried to do something about it by contributing to the ( excellent) Fans Focus group plan . I have now given up on such much that is Rovers through total angry disillusionment at the lack of management at the club on all matters outside that of the playing side.

MANY exiled supporters would pay  for regular Match DVDs. I can only get them from competitor clubs for away matches !

I asked the same question some weeks ago, although not regarding match DVDs but regarding a season rewview DVD, like we've had previously.

The club loses money on them apparently was the reply I got. They have to pay a substantial fee for copyright reason to reproduce any kind of match action, so they obviously thought it isn't worth while.

After a quick browse, I have found we are probably the only football league team who do not produce a season review DVD.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on June 11, 2010, 10:47:19 am by Filo »
bobjimwilly wrote:
CusworthRovers wrote:
...a rag and bone man in Stainy.

Let me gues...Filo?  :P

Nope, not me, I`ve moved on to nicking copper cable, laying tarmac and tree surgery  ;)  :laugh:

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on June 11, 2010, 05:33:36 pm by graingrover »
Mr Frost ... I would have been happy if I had had a reply even just to explain to me what you have just done . The fact that I have no reply makes a mockery of the Customer Charter not to speak about the video interview with Charles walker on rovers Player where he talks of his rôle as a communicator with fans!!it's all just bollox and I hate been fkcin patronised by the club. Jonathan ... you are close to your 1,000 posting and you are in full time employment !!

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 11, 2010, 06:04:59 pm by Wellred »
Not being in any way supportive of the clubs PR or Marketing department but I have just received an email from them as I paid for a hospitality package last season.

Whilst they may not be doing the simple things at least they are doing something.

The Fixtures for the forthcoming Season 2010 – 2011 will be released this coming Thursday 17th June at 9am.

We are writing to all clients to give you first refusal on choosing your games for sponsorship and hospitality, PRIOR to our release to the general public on this day.

Please click on the survey link below where you can select your games online, this will be sent directly through to us making it quick and easy for you to register your interest this year.

This is not a commitment to purchase but the opportunity to pre-register for the selected games to ensure we give you the first opportunity to book in.

As you know the big games can sell out just on this day alone, even if the game is months away, so you need to get in quick to ensure you reserve a place.

We will contact all clients on the day to secure your booking and this will be on a first come first served basis. The quicker you can get your pre-registration back to us the higher up the Waiting List you will be!

If you would like to discuss further or have any questions in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact us on 01302 764 665.

We look forward to seeing you again next season!

Snods Shinpad 2

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 11, 2010, 06:30:20 pm by Snods Shinpad 2 »
I have no idea how the different divisions of the club function, but I think the hospitality people are separate from other departments. From all accounts from what I have heard second hand, is that they are doing a pretty good job.

I got chatting to a bloke at one of the games last season who had gone along to a hospitality 'do' for the Leicester game, at the invitation of a mate of his. He mentioned how impressed he was with the service and how much he had enjoyed the whole shebang. What was nice to hear was that during the 'do' he had been told about the 'Super Six' deal for tickets that was on offer at the time and he had decided to buy a book as a result of the good service off the pitch and the good football on it.

Turns out the bloke used to be a regular at Elland Road  :)  and seemed surprised to be enjoying the whole Rovers experience.

Purely anecdotal, but it still put a smile on my face.

Jonathan

« Reply #15 on June 11, 2010, 10:46:00 pm by Jonathan »
graingrover wrote:
Jonathan ... you are close to your 1,000 posting and you are in full time employment !!

Haha, that's true although it's shot up loads over the last few weeks while I've been off! The post rate will fall again from Monday!

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on June 11, 2010, 11:49:41 pm by BobG »
Just in case someone, anyone, with influence does read this thread - I've given up, totally, attempting to contact the club. Whether it's ideas, enquiries, criticisms or even job applications, I have never yet had a single sodding reply. And that goes for formal, posted documents as well as emailed ones.

Oddly, despite not being a supporter of the Arsenal, when I tried to buy something from their website rcently for my misguided son, not only did the website actually have things of quality and value on it, but it also actually worked. And guess what? They've been on to me 3 times now over the last 3 months offering me all kinds of goodies, incentives, opportunities and ideas. Whilst I accept they have infinitely greater resources than DRFC, the simple enthusiasm, commitment and real, real, thinking and marketing that the Arsenal clearly do, make me ashamed to be a Rovers supporter. If it were not in the blood, I would have abandoned DRFC years ago now for a better run seller of footballing leisure time. Marketing, PR, customer management and enthusiasm are totally crap at DRFC. In fact that last sentence must contain at least 4 oxymorons.

BobG

Dagenham Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on June 12, 2010, 09:22:38 am by Dagenham Rover »
BobG wrote:
Just in case someone, anyone, with influence does read this thread - I've given up, totally, attempting to contact the club. Whether it's ideas, enquiries, criticisms or even job applications, I have never yet had a single sodding reply. And that goes for formal, posted documents as well as emailed ones.

Oddly, despite not being a supporter of the Arsenal, when I tried to buy something from their website rcently for my misguided son, not only did the website actually have things of quality and value on it, but it also actually worked. And guess what? They've been on to me 3 times now over the last 3 months offering me all kinds of goodies, incentives, opportunities and ideas. Whilst I accept they have infinitely greater resources than DRFC, the simple enthusiasm, commitment and real, real, thinking and marketing that the Arsenal clearly do, make me ashamed to be a Rovers supporter. If it were not in the blood, I would have abandoned DRFC years ago now for a better run seller of footballing leisure time. Marketing, PR, customer management and enthusiasm are totally crap at DRFC. In fact that last sentence must contain at least 4 oxymorons.

BobG

You mean they use a CRM system  ;)

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on June 12, 2010, 06:25:58 pm by graingrover »
Bob G ... my sentiments exactly .. I know you put your work into the Focus Group too... I shall never forgive the way that was dealt with but the total lack of courtesy by ignoring E mails and messages on the DROS 'CONTACT HE CLUB' facility is putting two fingers up to us all.Nobody 'in authority ' will even respond to threads like this . The only one who ever did for me was Dave Penney who even took the trouble to track my down by phone ... but from the Chief Executive's team ... never because they just do their own self satisfying minimum SFA. They certainly will not get any more of my money and I have spent £1,000's in the past by way of sponsorship of players and matches.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on June 12, 2010, 10:59:52 pm by BobG »
As Smeg said a couple of days back, the subject of Chief Executives ar DRFC is a sore point with me. It represents the one glaring weakness in JR that I have seen. As Churchill once said, \"Once is an accident. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action.\" Now remind me, how many hopeless CE's has this club had while JR has been in control?

Cheers

BobG

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 12, 2010, 11:40:56 pm by wilts rover »
BobG wrote:
As Smeg said a couple of days back, the subject of Chief Executives ar DRFC is a sore point with me. It represents the one glaring weakness in JR that I have seen. As Churchill once said, \"Once is an accident. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action.\" Now remind me, how many hopeless CE's has this club had while JR has been in control?

Cheers

BobG

Are you suggesting Bob that we will not get a decent Chief Executive until we get a new chairman/owner? Be careful what you wish for - incompetent PR/Media/Marketing has got us established into the Championship, calls for a new saviour got us Ken Richardson.

Dont forget Churchill was also the man behind Gallipoli.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on June 13, 2010, 12:28:34 am by BobG »
Yes mate. I am. But I didn't say I wished for a change in ownership as a result. You're dead right on what incompetant PR/marketing has done so far. I suppose I'm wishing for the moon so that JR can take the next step.

Gallipoli, by the way, was a good idea. It was executed by the same people who thought mass slaughter was a good idea, who couldn't see any value in tanks (an idea of Churchill's by the way), who kept umpteen divisions of horse cavalry sat around all through the war waiting for the 'breakthrough' that never came (not even when the Germans retreated beyond the Hindenburg Line), who allowed the Royal Navy to sink to a level near incompetant in both design and leadership when compared to the High Seas Fleet (from which criticism I exclude Jellicoe) and who thought surprise was not a military virtue. It was incompetantly executed. If it had had leadership of the standard of 30 years later, it could easily have rolled both Turkey and Austria-Hungary out of the war.

Cheers

BobG

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on June 13, 2010, 07:42:33 pm by wilts rover »
Point of order m'lud - the inventor of the tank was Major General Sir Ernest Dunlop Swinton KBE, CB, DSO, RE, Churchill was the member of the government most persuaded by it.

For those of you coming down to the Joma Cup, the Tank Museum is not that far from where it is being played and well worth a visit, particuarly if you go on a 'running day'.

To put together the thought that both Gallipoli and PR/Marketing at Rovers were 'good ideas' rounds this thread of nicely I think.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on June 14, 2010, 02:42:15 am by RobTheRover »
I called into the club shop today after reading at http://shop.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/ that replica shirts and shorts were a tenner a pop (news posted to the site on the 4th June).  The shorts I bought at the start of last season owe me nothing now, so much use have I got from them, so I figured I'd stock up on 3 or 4 pairs at the bargain price, and put a few more quid in the club coffers.

But no, on entering the shop it looks distinctly low on stock, with not a replica shirt to be seen, let alone shorts.  I was told that ALL shirts and shorts had been sent to Africa as part of the thing James Chambers is doing.

Whilst the initiative to send shirts out to an underprivileged area (Stainforth was second choice apparently, before Filo starts) is a worthy one, perhaps letting those who might make a trip into the shop especially know that there would be no stock would have been a good idea too.

:unsure:

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on June 14, 2010, 10:08:35 am by wing commander »
It has always been a total mystery to me how someone as succesfull as JR who has run a business where pr and marketing are the difference between success and failure can seem to be quite happy to put up with these piss poor performances by the clubs departments..They never respond to e-mails to anybody,i e-mailed them about hospitality packages for the Wendys game,not a reply..I ended up paying Wendys for the package at Hillsborough against us instead..The Web site is a disgrace as well.
   Gartom i think this problem need to be addressed by the VSC,even if its about the website as without a doubt ours is the least updated in the Championship...

gartom

« Reply #25 on June 14, 2010, 10:14:30 am by gartom »
I agree.
I cant really say much, but let's just say he knows the score - and has done for a while. I do regularly remind him how its not good enough!
Its something to address after he gets back from South Africa / the World Cup...I think he has plans.
Watch this space !
Cheers, Gareth

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on June 14, 2010, 04:37:22 pm by MrFrost »
So let me get this straight...........
We have sent all of our remaining replica shirts to South Africa. Yes good cause, but did it ocurr to them, people might want to buy one and hold a few back?
Jesus, its unreal.

When do the new shirts go on sale?

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on June 14, 2010, 06:23:52 pm by RobTheRover »
Got told middle of July.

The World Cup is on, football gets its highest profile for 4 years (probably ever, given the all pervasive media coverage), and the club shop cant sell a replica shirt to a punter with readies burning a whole in their pocket.

Mike_F

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on June 14, 2010, 08:34:34 pm by Mike_F »
It's all part of the club's long term strategy to grow the fanbase. You'll know it's worked when a bunch of Africans clad in the hoops rock up on Cleethorpes beach in a hollowed-out gum tree blowing their f**king vuvuzelas!

Old Popsider

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on June 14, 2010, 11:36:44 pm by Old Popsider »
gartom wrote:
I agree.
I cant really say much, but let's just say he knows the score - and has done for a while. I do regularly remind him how its not good enough!
Its something to address after he gets back from South Africa / the World Cup...I think he has plans.
Watch this space !
Cheers, Gareth

Let's hope he gets shut of all the incompetent numptys in the department (he's used to dealing with big tits ;)  ) & put in some of his own people from his other businesses for a while to get the whole shebang up and running properly.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012