Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 08:03:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sharp signing: A view from our rivals.  (Read 16741 times)

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
Re:Sharp signing: A view from our rivals.
« Reply #60 on July 07, 2010, 12:44:53 pm by RobTheRover »
To be fair, my Gran could get 30 in L1.  And she's dead.

:pinch:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

blakey

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on July 07, 2010, 01:02:27 pm by blakey »
Says a lot for the strikers you had in Lg1 then doesn't it. :P

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on July 07, 2010, 01:04:44 pm by DearneValleyRover »
blakey wrote:
Says a lot for the strikers you had in Lg1 then doesn't it. :P

Let's be fair they were good enough at Wembley  ;) Oh and Rob would get less than his Gran  B)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on July 07, 2010, 01:08:34 pm by Filo »
RobTheRover wrote:

Is Beckford dead then?

And I did n`t know he was your Gran :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

blakey

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on July 07, 2010, 01:37:10 pm by blakey »
Obviously the Wembley thing is still a massive achievement in your history even after two years. ;) Pretty irrelevant to me now cos it seems a long time ago. :P
Thanks to you keeping us down we wouldn't have spent another season in league one,probably never have met and beat Man Utd at Old Trafford and caused the biggest upset of the FA Cup,plus we got out of the league automatically not thru the lottery.
To be fair your win at Wembley now holds a few blessings.

Redandwhitewhizards

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on July 07, 2010, 01:42:00 pm by Redandwhitewhizards »
So you are telling me you are glad you lost?

Alright then....

These Leeds fans are funny aren't they?!

sheffieldROVER

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on July 07, 2010, 01:43:13 pm by sheffieldROVER »
ur talking poo poo lil weed fan.
 :laugh:

Hounslowrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on July 07, 2010, 01:45:07 pm by Hounslowrover »
My thoughts exactly, just as well they were relegated from the Prem in the first place, or else that biggest upset in the cup would have been just another game too!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on July 07, 2010, 01:48:28 pm by Filo »
blakey wrote:
Obviously the Wembley thing is still a massive achievement in your history even after two years. ;) Pretty irrelevant to me now cos it seems a long time ago. :P
Thanks to you keeping us down we wouldn't have spent another season in league one,probably never have met and beat Man Utd at Old Trafford and caused the biggest upset of the FA Cup,plus we got out of the league automatically not thru the lottery.
To be fair your win at Wembley now holds a few blessings.

It happened! were you ever Champions of Europe?

blakey

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on July 07, 2010, 04:53:09 pm by blakey »
Im not saying I glad we lost but we had a good season financially last season which could have been different had we been promoted.
Anyway like I said it's not an issue now although I understand why it's one memory you want to keep cos it was a massive achievement for you to beat Leeds United at Wembley.

Thing is now, we are both on level terms,only difference is we have more money than we had a year ago. We have made 5 signings already this summer and there is more to come.

Well done for beating us at Wembley!! :laugh:

Wellington Vaults

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on July 07, 2010, 05:04:18 pm by Wellington Vaults »
RobTheRover wrote:

Which reminds me of a true story.

First game of last season, Scunthorpe Utd away, some Leeds player (possibly Beckford)blasts the ball over from six yards out.

Fella \"stood\" near me shouts \"Bloody 'Ell, arr lass could have put that one away....(pause)....if she wasn't dead\"

I do know the fella, from Donny, and his wife had died a couple of years previously.

One of those situations where you strangle the laugh in yer throat.

MrFrost

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on July 07, 2010, 05:05:13 pm by MrFrost »
So you're saying your victory over Man Utd is the biggest upset in the history of the FA Cup? Oh my aching sides!
Face it sunshine, in terms of football, you are inferior to the little pub team down the road.

blakey

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on July 07, 2010, 05:27:48 pm by blakey »
Remind me where I wrote 'history of the FA Cup'??

And how are we inferior? I remember seeing us both on the same league table?

VikingJames

« Reply #73 on July 07, 2010, 05:34:26 pm by VikingJames »
blakey wrote:
Remind me where I wrote 'history of the FA Cup'??

And how are we inferior? I remember seeing us both on the same league table?

Can we have our euphoric forum back please?

Ta.

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on July 07, 2010, 05:40:00 pm by Donnybob »
I honestly try and keep away from all this Leeds crap. I mean, they keep telling us they're not our rivals, so why they spend so much time on this board beggars me...?

But I will take Blakey up on one point:

\"...it was a massive achievement for you to beat Leeds United at Wembley.\"

Let's get something straight. It wasn't a massive achievement to beat Leeds - the three matches against Leeds that season showed emphatically we were the better footballing side by some distance.

It didn't actually matter who we beat so long as we won the match and gained promotion. The achievement was in playing at Wembley for the first time in our history and not bottling it as some frequently seem to do on the big stage.

\"Thing is now, we are both on level terms\"

And can we get another thing straight, we are not on level terms. Leeds squandered millions, welched on their debts and are now buying a new squad so they can live the Championship dream. We have to live within our budgets. The financial constraints on us are considerable which is why Sharp is such a stellar signing. It's a one-off, not something we'll be doing again in a hurry.

You attract far bigger crowds and will continue to do so. Your income and turnover is far greater than ours. So how on earth are we on level terms?

The only irony is that you actually think you've caught us up! We were never ahead. We are simply a well-managed small town club that is prospering against all the odds.

Leeds buying 5 players already and still searching for more smacks of desperation. It's a declaration that the existing squad is weak, for all the trumped-up reputations. They scraped out of Div 3 by their fingernails on the final day of the season. You know it, we know it, everyone in the Championship knows it. What players you had did not pose a threat to anyone at this level and you would have struggled in a difficult league.

The players you have bought so far are not the difference between a mid table finish and romping to promotion. They're survival players and you know it.

If Leeds have a poor start they'll be throwing money around like, well, like Leeds United, come Christmas. If Donny have a poor start we'll not panic. We'll simply play our way through the problem using the same effective structures that have served us well in the past two seasons.

The team that gained promotion for Leeds was not really any better than the one we beat at Wembley, especially now you've lost your darling goal scorer. By contrast the team we have today would probably beat the team we fielded at Wembley in 7 games out of ten.

I'm sorry if it sounds to a Leeds fan that I'm trying to put you down but there is no point in arguing with what is plainly obvious. Leeds, to their credit, clung on and scraped promotion. They have not developed in the past three seasons, they've just got richer, that's all, or they would have sailed up as champions last year.

Donny have matured. They've developed existing talent and brought in new, better players. They may be unsung but not one of last season's Championship sides will say that they had an easy time against the Rovers. Our club structures have been established and cemented into the system.

Look, you've no debt, sold players for millions, have fantastic income streams, yet you make a song and dance about players expecting higher wages to play for you, that clubs inflate transfer fees whenever you come knocking. I'm sorry, but who exactly do you think you are?

Why you couldn't buy Billy or afford £2m for Hooper is beyond me. Sounds to me like Leeds are a cheapskate outfit who haven't worked out the real costs of promotion to the fourth largest league in Europe. Unfortunately their fans think that just because Billy Bremner played for them 40 years ago it entitles them to be respected.

Respect is earned, not demanded. Ask any group of fans in the Championship if they respect what Donny have done and how they play and how their fans conduct themselves. Then ask them what they think of Leeds. You ain't the biggest club in the Championship and you ain't won anything like the same number of IMPORTANT trophies that say Forest and Derby have - Champions of Europe - you're having a laugh!

Be honest, what exactly have you won in the last 30 years?

Some Leeds fans are thoughtful and intelligent. They contribute sensibly to threads on multiple boards. Some are just plain stupid and I speak for most when I say that I wish they'd just stay away. Go play on your own boards, sonny, they're much busier and someone might actually care what you say.

adge

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on July 07, 2010, 06:12:43 pm by adge »
i've always thought that colchester united beating some big team was the biggest upset in the fa cup.
am i wrong

hoolahoop

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on July 07, 2010, 06:18:28 pm by hoolahoop »
adge wrote:
i've always thought that colchester united beating some big team was the biggest upset in the fa cup.
am i wrong

Can't remember who they beat though or the score (4-1?)  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on July 07, 2010, 06:22:26 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Donnybob wrote:
Some Leeds fans are thoughtful and intelligent. They contribute sensibly to threads on multiple boards. Some are just plain stupid and I speak for most when I say that I wish they'd just stay away. Go play on your own boards, sonny, they're much busier and someone might actually care what you say.

Donnybob - I normally agree with all your posts but I think you have picked the wrong target here - I am very happy to read Blakey's pretty sensible posts even if not in Wellington Vaults's class (sorry if that sounds condescending) and he is brave enough to come on here when we are all cock-a-hoop

Wellington Vaults

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on July 07, 2010, 06:52:56 pm by Wellington Vaults »
\"You ain't the biggest club in the Championship and you ain't won anything like the same number of IMPORTANT trophies that say Forest and Derby have - Champions of Europe - you're having a laugh!

Be honest, what exactly have you won in the last 30 years?\"

Urmm, the Championship of the then First Division if you don't mind, in 1991/1992!

As opposed to Forest, who haven't won owt since 1980 and Derby, who haven't won owt of note since 1975.

I'm quite upset that I even have to argue our case wrt to the Me Ducks Duo from the East Midlands.

Regards,

The Oh So Classy Wellington Vaults...I may even issue a limited edition tee-shirt.  Please forward your Postal Orders.

Donnybob

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on July 07, 2010, 08:41:32 pm by Donnybob »
Crikey, is it really twenty years ago since that fateful day when the Leeds team all sat round in Chapman's house waiting to see if your rivals failed to win and give you the trophy? Near enough, I guess.

Twenty barren years. Two generations. No wonder they got all excited about beating Bristol Rovers!

Bit harsh on the 'mi ducks' to complain they're harping on about winning the ultimate club honour just a little earlier. Mind you, they had to win the league to compete for their European Championships, not finish fourth.

Hang on a minute, they actually won it, didn't they?

And so, it's ten years longer since Forest won the top division, but they could be competing for it again next year. It may well be another ten years before Leeds return. One never knows, eh?

We shouldn't forget, either, that Leeds' glory days were in the 1960s and 70's, too. One title since then isn't an awful lot to get carried away about, is it?

Honestly guys, if we aren't your rivals why is it so important to catch us up? Surely that Wembley defeat isn't still smarting? Look, we're a pub team, you're ephemeral giants. We have no right to be in the same division as you, I know, but football's a funny old game. Perhaps you should treat us as rivals. It would show respect and we could then give respect in return but whilst ever your fans continue to treat us like something you trod in, something that's not worthy, then we'll gain great pleasure from your every stumble.

I'll skip the t-shirt if you don't mind.

NigelJ

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on July 07, 2010, 09:48:20 pm by NigelJ »
Donnybob wrote:
Twenty barren years. Two generations.
:blink: Give my regards to your great grandmother, who I presume has just turned 30! ;)

Donnybob wrote:
Perhaps you should treat us as rivals. It would show respect and we could then give respect in return but whilst ever your fans continue to treat us like something you trod in, something that's not worthy, then we'll gain great pleasure from your every stumble.

Fully agree with that, thats why the two teams I like to see lose (after whoever we are playing, obviously), are Leeds and Forest.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on July 07, 2010, 10:40:28 pm by PDX_Rover »
If Leeds don't have a blistering start - they will be calling for Grayson to go after 10 games.... you watch.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on July 07, 2010, 11:01:30 pm by RobTheRover »
Got to say, fellas, Our new mates Blakey and the other fella (no , not Welligogs) seem OK lads.  Not all Leeds fans are baby-eating pensioner-beaters, you know.

donnywhitegaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on July 07, 2010, 11:26:40 pm by donnywhitegaz »
cheers rob,you wont get no grief from me,just like to offer my opinion on leeds subjects and have  abit of banter,a few on here know me from the footymad network

donnybob,ive the greatest of respect for what you have done and where you have got to and have no quarms in admiting it,rivals we are for me because we are in the same league,fighting for the same points,players and goals  i think your aiming your feelings at the wrong leeds fans bob  :(    best of luck for the season folks

Wellington Vaults

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on July 07, 2010, 11:39:20 pm by Wellington Vaults »
Bloody Hell Donnybob, that’s a heck of a diatribe in response to my humble correction of what would appear to be a simple, but excusable, given your obviously hormonal crisis, error on your part.  Or do you originate from Huddersfield?  Such vitriol is more commonly associated with the stout yeomanry of that fair borough.

You asked what we had won in the last thirty years…I told you.  A title secured in the usual manner of obtaining more points over the course of a season than the opposition, not as a result of some conspiracy masterminded from Lee Chapman’s living room. And where did I “complain” about Forest or Derby winning anything?

And that win may be twenty years ago, but still cherished all the same.  After all, there are only four or five clubs likely to scramble to the top of the pile in the near future, and there's no chance whatsoever of us ever repeating it.

However, I concede that you are blessed with a more elevated level of insight into sporting matters than I, so I shall retire to my Drawing Room in the West Wing, pour myself a Napoleon Brandy, prime my cherished clay pipe and consult a well thumbed copy of  ?ukasiewicz’s “Aristotle's syllogistic from the standpoint of modern formal logic”*  (second edition I may add.) to fathom out what the f*** you are on about.  It could be a long night.

Alternatively, I may just kick the living daylights out of my favourite bin.

Pip Pip

*And I’ll wager that BillStubbsTears has already read it.

not on facebook

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on July 07, 2010, 11:47:41 pm by not on facebook »
fcuk me wellington that last paragraph gave us headache

how long have i known yer?talk about never judging a book by its cover

i mean i never seen yer drink a brandy

blakey

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on July 07, 2010, 11:53:57 pm by blakey »
Donnybob wrote:
I honestly try and keep away from all this Leeds crap. I mean, they keep telling us they're not our rivals, so why they spend so much time on this board beggars me...?

But I will take Blakey up on one point:

\"...it was a massive achievement for you to beat Leeds United at Wembley.\"

Let's get something straight. It wasn't a massive achievement to beat Leeds - the three matches against Leeds that season showed emphatically we were the better footballing side by some distance.

It didn't actually matter who we beat so long as we won the match and gained promotion. The achievement was in playing at Wembley for the first time in our history and not bottling it as some frequently seem to do on the big stage.

\"Thing is now, we are both on level terms\"

And can we get another thing straight, we are not on level terms. Leeds squandered millions, welched on their debts and are now buying a new squad so they can live the Championship dream. We have to live within our budgets. The financial constraints on us are considerable which is why Sharp is such a stellar signing. It's a one-off, not something we'll be doing again in a hurry.

You attract far bigger crowds and will continue to do so. Your income and turnover is far greater than ours. So how on earth are we on level terms?

The only irony is that you actually think you've caught us up! We were never ahead. We are simply a well-managed small town club that is prospering against all the odds.

Leeds buying 5 players already and still searching for more smacks of desperation. It's a declaration that the existing squad is weak, for all the trumped-up reputations. They scraped out of Div 3 by their fingernails on the final day of the season. You know it, we know it, everyone in the Championship knows it. What players you had did not pose a threat to anyone at this level and you would have struggled in a difficult league.

The players you have bought so far are not the difference between a mid table finish and romping to promotion. They're survival players and you know it.

If Leeds have a poor start they'll be throwing money around like, well, like Leeds United, come Christmas. If Donny have a poor start we'll not panic. We'll simply play our way through the problem using the same effective structures that have served us well in the past two seasons.

The team that gained promotion for Leeds was not really any better than the one we beat at Wembley, especially now you've lost your darling goal scorer. By contrast the team we have today would probably beat the team we fielded at Wembley in 7 games out of ten.

I'm sorry if it sounds to a Leeds fan that I'm trying to put you down but there is no point in arguing with what is plainly obvious. Leeds, to their credit, clung on and scraped promotion. They have not developed in the past three seasons, they've just got richer, that's all, or they would have sailed up as champions last year.

Donny have matured. They've developed existing talent and brought in new, better players. They may be unsung but not one of last season's Championship sides will say that they had an easy time against the Rovers. Our club structures have been established and cemented into the system.

Look, you've no debt, sold players for millions, have fantastic income streams, yet you make a song and dance about players expecting higher wages to play for you, that clubs inflate transfer fees whenever you come knocking. I'm sorry, but who exactly do you think you are?

Why you couldn't buy Billy or afford £2m for Hooper is beyond me. Sounds to me like Leeds are a cheapskate outfit who haven't worked out the real costs of promotion to the fourth largest league in Europe. Unfortunately their fans think that just because Billy Bremner played for them 40 years ago it entitles them to be respected.

Respect is earned, not demanded. Ask any group of fans in the Championship if they respect what Donny have done and how they play and how their fans conduct themselves. Then ask them what they think of Leeds. You ain't the biggest club in the Championship and you ain't won anything like the same number of IMPORTANT trophies that say Forest and Derby have - Champions of Europe - you're having a laugh!

Be honest, what exactly have you won in the last 30 years?

Firstly when have I come on here to gloat about anything.I have not said once that we are the biggest club in the championship,Leeds have fallen on bad times and it is the 'genuine' fans that have paid for it. I did enjoy reading your post but you can't tie us all with the same brush. I know what some Leeds fans are,and they think they are better than anyone else, but that is just a proportion of them. I'am the first to admit Doncaster's achievements considering you played non league football a few years ago and you remain one of the quiet teams in the championship that was destined to do down but stuck by your guns and managed to estabish themselves. For that any team deserves full credit.

Leeds have had a massive turnover but still remain cautious. The signings we have made are by no means promotion stars but enough to hopefully estabish ourselves for the first year back in the second tier.  I also agree that we haven't won anything in 30 years,well, except for the premier league title but that's it.

The thing is I agree in one aspect that we have to be careful and we do not throw money around. In the Ridsdale era that's all we ever did and look where it got us. For all Bates is he was the only one that saved us from going under which is what would have happened. Any decent enough fan from any club would'nt have wanted to see that happen to any club,even Leeds because again,it's the genuine fans that suffer.

In regards to Hooper/Sharp. You don't know what signings we are going to make.You cannot make assumpions in the middle of the transfer window. Grayson today said he has been working from the back,ie we have signed a goalkeeper and defenders. There is still another striker to come and reading between the lines 2 midfielders. The team we will have come August will be a decent enough championship team,again maybe not promotion contenders but decent enough

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #87 on July 07, 2010, 11:55:09 pm by Alan Southstand »
However, I concede that you are blessed with a more elevated level of insight into sporting matters than I, so I shall retire to my Drawing Room in the West Wing, pour myself a Napoleon Brandy, prime my cherished clay pipe and consult a well thumbed copy of ?ukasiewicz’s “Aristotle's syllogistic from the standpoint of modern formal logic”* (second edition I may add.) to fathom out what the f*** you are on about. It could be a long night.

Alternatively, I may just kick the living daylights out of my favourite bin.

OR, get yersen down t'Asda and buy thisen a box of tissues, like the rest of us here at Donny!

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on July 08, 2010, 12:08:54 am by BobG »
As I've said more than once on here, I'm bloody well chuffed that people like Blakey and Welligogs of course, take the trouble to post. Football fora, by their very nature, are tribal and closed societies. It's inevitable therefore that those in that society end up with unsound assessments and appraisals of their position in the world. Groupthink if you know the term. Anyone who comes on here to offer an intelligent counter to that is worth his weight in gold - to all of us.

In this particular case, historically, Leeds have almost never been 'rivals' of DRFC. They've simply been way too good for that. Instead, they helped out the Rovers on many an occasion. Recently, we've had an upturn and they've had a downturn - so we are rivals at the moment. But that won't last. When SOD goes, it's very long odds indeed that the Rovers will start to slide. When Grayson goes, Leeds will simply carry on. They'll end up back in the Premiership and they'll have a chance of staying there. If we ended up there by some accident, not only would we come sraight back down again, but we could lose the club just like Hull and Pompey seem to be doing. It might not turn out that way, but that's what the evidence suggests.

So be happy for Leeds. They've learned a few things this last few years. Like us, some of their supporters are cretins. But like us, some of them are not. I want to beat Leeds again, but I'm not idiotic enough to think Rovers are in any lasting way superior to Leeds. We are not.

BobG

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on July 08, 2010, 12:09:22 am by RobTheRover »
Dont say you are still leaking with all this excitement, Alan!  Jeez!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012