Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 12:56:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Do we really need a new striker?  (Read 2388 times)

george-friend

• Forum Member
Do we really need a new striker?
« on July 17, 2010, 11:00:49 am by george-friend »
It would be nice to fetch someone in upfront but really lets look at the options.

Billy Sharp - Really plays our game and capable of scoring 20 next season.

James Hayter - A good player who plays well just behing billy and knows where the net is capable of scoring 10 next season

Steve Brooker - Had a hard time with injuries but could he be the big target man we have all been hoping for?
If he can stay fit i belive he could score 10 next season.

Waide Fairhurst - Important we dont pile pressure on this lad as he may struggle but still very young and deffo knows where the net is so could he be the perfect partner for billy?
Imo could get 10 next season if he gets a chance.

James Coppinger - Can chip in with that little bit of quality and if given a chance will take it. Possibly get 5 goals next season at least.

Dean Sheils - Rate him highly however unless he pulls his socks up could maybe be his last year at the club,also can find back of the net so another 5 goals again.

So it leads you to the question...

We have a poacher in Billy.
A Big Target man in Brooker.
Young blood in Fairhurst.
A creator in Coppinger/Sheils
A decent finisher in Hayter;

most clubs would love to have this many options of so many different  type of strikers. (real deal)

Anyone who we bring in imo would push fairhurst or sheils out of the way and imo that would be a waste of wages,dont get me wrong a good striker would be great but really surely CB has to be priority does it not?  

The only thing missing really from there is a bit of pace but thats not really NEEDED is it?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DRFC MYERS

Re:Do we really need a new striker?
« Reply #1 on July 17, 2010, 12:24:35 pm by DRFC MYERS »
yes

george-friend

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on July 17, 2010, 12:40:10 pm by george-friend »
Back your point up then.

ljm-drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on July 17, 2010, 12:47:44 pm by ljm-drfc »
Course we need another striker, What happens if Brooker gets another long term injury (which Is likely), and if Sharp gets injured like he did at the end of last season? Then we've only got Fairhurst and Hayter as out and out strikers. If all four were gurenteed to be fit all season with no suspensions then mAybe not, but that's not gonna happen is it?
Shiels can play up front but is a lot like copps in the role he plays.

DannyRovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on July 17, 2010, 12:52:19 pm by DannyRovers »
you can never have too many strikers IMO. the form of strikers change alot during a season so it's always good to have many at disposal.

george-friend

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on July 17, 2010, 12:53:30 pm by george-friend »
Good point however i belive we have enough strikers if im honest,if we were to fetch anyone in upfront lets fetch someone with,pace and the ability to score,i still see CB and another MID as priority im afraid.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on July 17, 2010, 01:10:15 pm by mushRTID »
DRFC MYERS wrote:
yes

I agree and will back up my point.

Pinning our hopes on Brooker is a big gamble. He may have looked good in training but 46 games is a long time for a player with his recent history.

Billy will/should get 20 goals this season if he stays fit so he is ok.

SOD seems reluctant to throw Fairhurst in for some reason and as much as I rate him, I cant see him chipping in with too many goals even if SOD did give him more games.

Hayter is steady, might ge us 10 goals.

Shiels - inconsistent, might get 5-10 goals if he is played often enough.

Coppinger - has never and will never score the amount of goals his talent deserves.

The name of the game has to be IMPROVEMENT. Right now we are not in a better position in the striking department than we were last season, especially taking out JETs important goals. To IMPROVE ON LAST SEASON I think Billy needs another top class partner, if improving is the aim.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on July 17, 2010, 01:23:03 pm by Drover »
DannyRovers wrote:
you can never have too many strikers IMO. the form of strikers change alot during a season so it's always good to have many at disposal.

Agreed,and I think thats how SOD and ROK see it.The more the options the better.Especially if we are genuinely going for the play-offs,Its a couple of injuries/suspensions or being off form that usually stops a good squad holding out for the full season.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on July 17, 2010, 01:30:42 pm by Drover »
mushRTID wrote:
DRFC MYERS wrote:
yes

I agree and will back up my point.

Pinning our hopes on Brooker is a big gamble. He may have looked good in training but 46 games is a long time for a player with his recent history.

Billy will/should get 20 goals this season if he stays fit so he is ok.

SOD seems reluctant to throw Fairhurst in for some reason and as much as I rate him, I cant see him chipping in with too many goals even if SOD did give him more games.

Hayter is steady, might ge us 10 goals.

Shiels - inconsistent, might get 5-10 goals if he is played often enough.

Coppinger - has never and will never score the amount of goals his talent deserves.

The name of the game has to be IMPROVEMENT. Right now we are not in a better position in the striking department than we were last season, especially taking out JETs important goals. To IMPROVE ON LAST SEASON I think Billy needs another top class partner, if improving is the aim.

Yes thats right,To reach the play-offs we have to improve this season and keep good form for longer spells.I think we will see 3 loanees come in at the start off of the season or a couple of weeks in,Likely a CB a midfielder and a forward,also a short loan or permanent free/trialist RB.

Wellred

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on July 17, 2010, 01:31:38 pm by Wellred »
george-friend wrote:
It would be nice to fetch someone in upfront but really lets look at the options.

Billy Sharp - Really plays our game and capable of scoring 20 next season.

James Hayter - A good player who plays well just behing billy and knows where the net is capable of scoring 10 next season

Steve Brooker - Had a hard time with injuries but could he be the big target man we have all been hoping for?
If he can stay fit i belive he could score 10 next season.

Waide Fairhurst - Important we dont pile pressure on this lad as he may struggle but still very young and deffo knows where the net is so could he be the perfect partner for billy?
Imo could get 10 next season if he gets a chance.

James Coppinger - Can chip in with that little bit of quality and if given a chance will take it. Possibly get 5 goals next season at least.

Dean Sheils - Rate him highly however unless he pulls his socks up could maybe be his last year at the club,also can find back of the net so another 5 goals again.

So it leads you to the question...

We have a poacher in Billy.
A Big Target man in Brooker.
Young blood in Fairhurst.
A creator in Coppinger/Sheils
A decent finisher in Hayter;

most clubs would love to have this many options of so many different  type of strikers. (real deal)

Anyone who we bring in imo would push fairhurst or sheils out of the way and imo that would be a waste of wages,dont get me wrong a good striker would be great but really surely CB has to be priority does it not?  

The only thing missing really from there is a bit of pace but thats not really NEEDED is it?

Too many IFS there I'm afraid.
Brooker will be a huge bonus IF he gets back to full fitness. (not sure he could be described as a big target man though)
Shiels is an attacking midfield player not a striker.
Ditto Copps
Hayter? Not sure where he is best position is but I would guess he might spend more time on the bench than in the starting 11 this season.
Fairhurst? Not sure SOD is convinced yet.

So YES we do need another striker. BUT we also need another CB and another midfield player.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on July 17, 2010, 03:51:31 pm by CusworthRovers »
In essence, you could all be talking about a striker to play a squad role and purely in the eventuality of Messers Sharp, Brooker, Fairhurst and Hayter being out injured. We are not in a position to afford a quality striker to simply warm the bench. I would suggest we look to a short term solution in the ultimate scenario of all these 4 being injured at the same time:

1. Look to the Youth set up.
2. Look to the Loan market.
3. Sign and gamble on a cheap affordable young striker now.

None of the above may not work in the position we are at now

.......or

We hope that all 4 are not injured at the same time

TinyPortal © 2005-2012