Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 08:35:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rovers Trailists Tonight  (Read 7135 times)

scuzzer

• VSC Member
Re:Rovers Trailists Tonight
« Reply #30 on July 27, 2010, 10:46:46 pm by scuzzer »
Thomas looked quality, solid and commanding, for me he was just what we could do with.

Thought Payne looked good and the trialist up front had some very nice touches.

Would definitely be interested in the three of them but on tonights performance wouldnt be jumping through hoops for the other pair (Greek looking / lightweight midfielder and skinhead winger), neither did that badly or that well.

Very pleasing positive performance though in a game of no importance and a smashing goal from Deano.

Roll on the 7th!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on July 27, 2010, 10:55:31 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Looked ok. Did a few good things would not say he's any better than what we've got. Looks experienced in more ways than one.

Of the other triallists, and there were plenty of them, the Spanish looking type (could have been Greek) who's shirt looked too big for him, played centre mid, looked very skilful on the ball. I watched him at half time and he can't half ping a pass !

The other lad who came on briefly in a wide right position, had a lovely jinky run and turned full back inside out. Pity the cross fell short of Brooker.

Didn't really have time to make a judgement about Josh Payne.

I'd like to see more of those above four, but the others didn't stand out. The guy up front late on looked like an imposter !

Funniest thing was Sam Hird collecting a piece of paper from the side lines and having to show it to the players in the middle of the pitch, so they knew where to play.

VikingJames

« Reply #32 on July 27, 2010, 10:55:46 pm by VikingJames »
Wayne Thomas was the pick of the trialists for me. I wouldn't usually judge a player on just half an hour of action, but he looked very good. He defended well, looked pretty strong, and won every tackle that he was required to make. Looked half-decent with the ball at his feet too, and was barking out orders to the other defenders. I reckon he could fit the bill for us. He is clearly experienced, and looks more than capable in that position. Based on what I saw tonight, I'd be happy to see us snap him up on a 1 year deal.

The striker who came on (who looked a bit like Mark Wilson) didn't really have much to do, but he looked very pacy when chasing the ball into the channels. Hopefully we'll get another look at him on Saturday.

The tanned midfielder (possibly Spanish) was pretty decent on the ball, but did look a little bit lightweight. He slid an excellent pass through for Brooker near the end. May be worth another look.

The winger with the shaved head that got 10 minutes at the end didn't look up to scratch. Gave the ball away far too much. No complaints at Rovers for looking at him though. These trialists are always worth having a look at, whatever their pedigree. I can't see us pursuing him though.

Payne got 5 or 10 minutes at the end and looked lively, but didn't have enough time to make an impact.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on July 27, 2010, 11:03:10 pm by RobTheRover »
I'd agree with that assessment, James.

Thomas looked very assured and the one time he got caught out, over in the left back slot, he stuck to his guns and won possession back.

Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on July 27, 2010, 11:59:25 pm by Red Rover »
Wellred wrote:
errrr the Dean Ashton type striker was Steve Brooker

Errrr...no he wasn't.

Thought Brooker was very VERY rusty

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on July 28, 2010, 12:05:23 am by Superspy »
brooker just needs some practice having the ball fired at him in my opinion, it seemed to be his first touch letting him down badly.

regarding thomas, i was genuinely impressed, more than i expected to be, and even though i may get slated for this, there were times when he reminded me of what shackell brought to the table...especially the slide tackle he made after running half way across the box. i'd be happy to sign him based on tonights performance.

Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on July 28, 2010, 12:08:05 am by Red Rover »
Superspy wrote:
brooker just needs some practice having the ball fired at him in my opinion, it seemed to be his first touch letting him down badly.

regarding thomas, i was genuinely impressed, more than i expected to be, and even though i may get slated for this, there were times when he reminded me of what shackell brought to the table...especially the slide tackle he made after running half way across the box. i'd be happy to sign him based on tonights performance.

no, i no where ur coming from, he definatley looked accomplished on the ball...even tho it was a trial game for him and there was a hell of a lot of pressure on him

TinyPortal © 2005-2012