Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 04:38:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: 1998 Channel 5 Documentary "They think it's all Rovers"  (Read 14779 times)

Belle-Vue-Ghost

• Forum Member
Re: 1998 Channel 5 Documentary "They think it's all Rovers"
« Reply #30 on January 23, 2015, 01:24:18 pm by Belle-Vue-Ghost »
Got to thank Copps is Magic for putting that on youtube. 

I watched it last night, brilliant insight into a very sad time for the club.  Makes me wonder what everyone moans about these days

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RM452

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on January 23, 2015, 02:48:49 pm by RM452 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSbaViblems&feature=youtu.be

Someone has uploaded a copy to youtube. If channel 5 get in touch, you aint seen me, right.

Just wanted to say thanks to the 'someone' who posted the vid on YouTube. Had terrible probs with my web host (seems unlimited doesn't actually mean unlimited!) and they suspended the site. It's back now and I've linked to the YouTube link too (much easier) so cheers. Glad everyone got to see it and apologies for the site going awol.

bradford exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on January 23, 2015, 04:08:16 pm by bradford exile »
On the subject of old Rovers related viewing, does anyone know of any way I can get hold of some classic Rovers matches on DVD? I'm thinking matches like the Conference Play off games, some of the games from the Division 3 title winning season, the Endsleigh Trophy game against Farnborough, and the League 1 playoff games.

I recall the club used to produce their own DVDs and sell them in the club shop but I can't find any copies anywhere. I'd be happy to make a contribution to cover anybody's time and materials if they were able to produce me some copies. Clearly I could never suggest they do so for commercial gain.....

Hi mate I've sent you a PM.

Regards

Ray

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on January 24, 2015, 12:51:52 am by BobG »
You know, even 18 years after, seeing that b*****ds' mug made my blood instantly boil again. I'm sitting here and I know I'm all tensed up. My blood pressure is up. My adrenalin is flowing. Seeing good, honest pros like Lee Warren abused, good honest men - some still on here today, some the fathers of people on here - brought to such unthinkable anger makes me want to kick his effing head in all over again.

Him and his boss. To my dying day I doubt very much I'll be able to see their mugs without thinking about violence.

b*****ds.

BobG

PS Anton Johnson as saviour? Christ! We must have been bloody desparate.....

PPS Some bloody good people, some of whom I'm proud to have known, on that video too. Cheese: where are you now?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 02:05:17 am by BobG »

Sandy Lane

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on January 24, 2015, 02:51:10 am by Sandy Lane »
Wow, that was upsetting. 

But for what it's worth I thought that documentary was really well done reflecting what an unsettled and emotional time it was for you all.  Haha, even though Nessum Dorma was a bit dramatic, it was perfect.  Funny, but I don't remember hearing about that manager before, though I have heard the other names quite frequently! 

Tbh though, I think the history of the club adds to the soul the club has today, and shows the hard core and heart felt support of you lot.  Long live Rovers!!

Mustapha-Dump

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on January 24, 2015, 12:10:20 pm by Mustapha-Dump »
Nice to see mrs Robinson early on! I've got a DVD of the stoke final, not a clue how you copy them though, would love a DVD with the league 1 play offs if anyone can help out?

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on January 24, 2015, 02:33:41 pm by Filo »
You know, even 18 years after, seeing that b*****ds' mug made my blood instantly boil again. I'm sitting here and I know I'm all tensed up. My blood pressure is up. My adrenalin is flowing. Seeing good, honest pros like Lee Warren abused, good honest men - some still on here today, some the fathers of people on here - brought to such unthinkable anger makes me want to kick his effing head in all over again.

Him and his boss. To my dying day I doubt very much I'll be able to see their mugs without thinking about violence.

b*****ds.

BobG

PS Anton Johnson as saviour? Christ! We must have been bloody desparate.....

PPS Some bloody good people, some of whom I'm proud to have known, on that video too. Cheese: where are you now?

That bas**rd Weaver had some front, skin as thick as a 70 year old Rhino!

We were that desperate though Bob were n't we, Anton Johnson FFS! Out of the frying pan and into the fire. Some present day fans should watch that over and over again until the message gets through, be careful what you wish for!

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on January 24, 2015, 02:52:16 pm by BobG »
Too right Filo. The odds must surely be high that Anton Johnson would have finished us off. We all still owe John Ryan a huge debt of gratitude for taking us out of Firestarters clutches and avoiding those of Johnson. We may doubt the wisdom of some of what happened later, but there is no escaping the underlying debt. But no one can live on past glories for ever can they?

BobG

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on January 24, 2015, 02:57:53 pm by Filo »
Too right Filo. The odds must surely be high that Anton Johnson would have finished us off. We all still owe John Ryan a huge debt of gratitude for taking us out of Firestarters clutches and avoiding those of Johnson. We may doubt the wisdom of some of what happened later, but there is no escaping the underlying debt. But no one can live on past glories for ever can they?

BobG

Top ten most notorious owners

http://www.midfielddynamo.com/owners/notorious_british.htm

Our own bas**rd comes in at No1 and Johnson makes No3

Says it all really

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on January 24, 2015, 04:20:46 pm by BobG »
You know what Filo, I'm sitting here wondering just how bloody bad it really must all have been for so many people to think that Anton Johnson was a better alternative!

Did I read somewhere that he died a year or three ago?

BobG

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on January 24, 2015, 05:13:05 pm by Donny Exile in York »
Ray i would be if you are willing to send me one. You have me email address already but will send it via a message and my address.. if you are willing to that would be great.

bradford exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on January 24, 2015, 11:34:35 pm by bradford exile »
Ray i would be if you are willing to send me one. You have me email address already but will send it via a message and my address.. if you are willing to that would be great.

Hi Steve..got your e-mail..will reply and fix up a meeting..will get to work on the DVD'S  next week.

Regards

Ray

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on January 25, 2015, 06:15:19 am by The Red Baron »
I don't think Johnson is dead. He wrote a book about his experiences a couple of years ago. Harry Redknapp, who worked for him at Bournemouth, wrote the foreword.

I'd imagine those two would get on like a house on fire!

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on January 25, 2015, 06:19:12 am by The Red Baron »
You know what Filo, I'm sitting here wondering just how bloody bad it really must all have been for so many people to think that Anton Johnson was a better alternative!

BobG

Bob - at that time the Devil himself would have seemed a better bet than Richardson!

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on January 25, 2015, 09:32:55 am by Filo »

BobG

Bob - at that time the Devil himself would have seemed a better bet than Richardson!

That just about sums it up RB, we were that desperate!

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on January 25, 2015, 12:57:23 pm by 1879Rovers »
 Ken Avis being interviewed. The voice at Belle Vue for many years. Sadly he died before we started our climb through the leagues.

DRFC-Hanksie

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on January 26, 2015, 12:18:36 pm by DRFC-Hanksie »
On the subject of old Rovers related viewing, does anyone know of any way I can get hold of some classic Rovers matches on DVD? I'm thinking matches like the Conference Play off games, some of the games from the Division 3 title winning season, the Endsleigh Trophy game against Farnborough, and the League 1 playoff games.

I recall the club used to produce their own DVDs and sell them in the club shop but I can't find any copies anywhere. I'd be happy to make a contribution to cover anybody's time and materials if they were able to produce me some copies. Clearly I could never suggest they do so for commercial gain.....

Hi mate I've sent you a PM.

Regards

Ray

My mate had a load taped from goals on sunday and managed to get them onto a DVD. I'll see if he can get it to anybody who's a whizz in this department to get em on youtube.

RoversDave

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on January 26, 2015, 12:24:34 pm by RoversDave »
Ken Avis being interviewed. The voice at Belle Vue for many years. Sadly he died before we started our climb through the leagues.

Remember many years ago buying old Rovers handbooks from Ken in the supporters club shop. He was only asking 2p for them. People are asking £25 for them on ebay these days.

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on January 26, 2015, 06:23:09 pm by RedRover45 »

Remember many years ago buying old Rovers handbooks from Ken in the supporters club shop. He was only asking 2p for them. People are asking £25 for them on ebay these days.

I've got a handbook from every year going back to 1949/50. Anybody got any earlier they want to sell, give us a shout....

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on January 26, 2015, 07:01:10 pm by idler »
I've got some but don't want to let them go.
Try having a word with Barry Watson. He had more than 1 copy of a few of them.

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on January 26, 2015, 07:04:14 pm by The Red Baron »

Last time I talked to Barry he was looking into selling his collection. I don't know how far he got with it.

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on January 26, 2015, 07:09:37 pm by RedRover45 »

Last time I talked to Barry he was looking into selling his collection. I don't know how far he got with it.

He keeps changing his mind John. Don't think he can bear to let them go lol.

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on January 26, 2015, 07:10:53 pm by RedRover45 »

Thanks, if you ever change your mind, let me know ? Thanks

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on January 26, 2015, 07:22:31 pm by The Red Baron »

I'm not surprised really. It is his pride and joy. Also he was asking a lot of money. Well out of my price range, even though I'd love to acquire it.

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on January 26, 2015, 07:41:35 pm by RedRover45 »

I'm not surprised really. It is his pride and joy. Also he was asking a lot of money. Well out of my price range, even though I'd love to acquire it.
I'm quite a novice in comparison, I've got everything going back to 1955 except about 6 single sheet friendlies. Keep trying to persuade Barry to sell, and all he'll do is give me first refusal lol.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on January 26, 2015, 11:23:00 pm by idler »
Looking on the bright side prices have been dropping on most items for a few years now.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012