Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:59:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brexit Benefits Log  (Read 62470 times)

belton rover

• Forum Member
Re: Brexit Benefits Log
« Reply #390 on February 12, 2021, 05:51:24 pm by belton rover »
Benefits don’t count when they’re too early, benefits don’t count when they’re too late.

I can’t shake off this nagging feeling that some posters aren’t treating this pro Brexit thread with the same good faith it was created in.

Just a feeling, mind.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #391 on February 12, 2021, 06:09:51 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Of course, our decision to go our own way on the vaccination process was within the EU rules, and the decision to do so was the right one, despite it being one that was condemned by some (especially Remoaners) at the time.  If we had decided to follow the EU's vaccine programme, we would never have experienced how great we have been in the organisation of our own vaccine programme. In fact, there is no doubt whatsoever that the Remoaners would have laughed at such a suggestion had they not witnessed it with their own eyes.

What can't be denied is the fact that it proves that the EU isn't as wonderful an organisation as the Remoaners would have you believe.

Who knows, we might still have the last laugh on other things in future. The only hope is, and it's a doubtful one judging by this thread, that if we do find any success, the Remoaners might have grown up a bit more so as to acknowledge it.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 06:13:43 pm by Bentley Bullet »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #392 on February 12, 2021, 06:48:58 pm by selby »
  Anyone taking an exam in brain washing would give their right arm to get some of the remainers on here as a subject, Kato, Glyn, and Syd would be dreams, Billy would take too long for an hours exam he is too far gone.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #393 on February 12, 2021, 06:54:43 pm by selby »
  First rules of procurement is find the fella who will discuss the sentence " whats in it for us."

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #394 on February 12, 2021, 08:53:57 pm by SydneyRover »
''Horizon 2020 is the EU’s flagship research and innovation programme 2014–20. It offered nearly €80 billion of funding to promote "excellent science, industrial leadership and tackling of societal challenges". Horizon funding was allocated in a number of ways, including by the European Research Council and under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie actions programme.

The UK has been the second largest contributor to Horizon 2020 – at €6.9 billion – and has also been a major beneficiary, receiving 14% of the total funds allocated.[1] In 2015/16, EU research grants and contracts accounted for 11% of the 24 Russell Group universities total funding.

The UK also uses funding from the EU Structural and Investment Funds to support research and innovation projects.

What impact has Brexit already had?
The number of UK researchers applying for Horizon 2020 funding since the EU referendum has fallen. Analysis by the Royal Society shows that between 2015 and 2018 funding applications fell almost 40%.[2]''

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/scientific-research

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #395 on February 12, 2021, 08:58:31 pm by wilts rover »
  First rules of procurement is find the fella who will discuss the sentence " whats in it for us."

First rule of politics - who they talking about when they say 'us'?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #396 on February 12, 2021, 09:10:53 pm by SydneyRover »
  Anyone taking an exam in brain washing would give their right arm to get some of the remainers on here as a subject, Kato, Glyn, and Syd would be dreams, Billy would take too long for an hours exam he is too far gone.

for a sad old git you spend plenty of time attacking people instead of putting up an argument selby

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #397 on February 12, 2021, 10:02:22 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Aye, HMRC did a fantastic job of brainwashing me with Customs knowledge.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #398 on February 13, 2021, 08:48:02 am by Not Now Kato »
Benefits don’t count when they’re too early, benefits don’t count when they’re too late.

I can’t shake off this nagging feeling that some posters aren’t treating this pro Brexit thread with the same good faith it was created in.

Just a feeling, mind.

All benefits count as and when they arrive Belton, and I genuinely hope there will be many, otherwise this whole exercise will have been bloody stupid!

Problem is, people aren't posting any. LDR has posted reasons which, for him, are seen as benefits; but no one yet has posted any tangible benefits for the country as a whole, only losses.

Leave UK, Farage and the Government promised so much, now it's time for them to deliver, don't you think?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #399 on February 13, 2021, 09:10:27 am by Bentley Bullet »
Don't you think that normal life is somewhat suspended at the moment thus restricting any potential benefits of leaving the EU?

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #400 on February 13, 2021, 09:41:57 am by SydneyRover »
stuck in a ground hog day nightmare bb

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #401 on February 13, 2021, 09:52:52 am by Not Now Kato »
Don't you think that normal life is somewhat suspended at the moment thus restricting any potential benefits of leaving the EU?

Possibly BB, though it doesn't seem to be delaying the downsides we keep seeing on a regular basis.  It also hasn't stopped us signing trade deals with other countries which are the equivalent of those we had whilst being a member of the EU, (even though we were promised they'd be better!).  So, whilst I say possibly, I do think it most unlikely.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #402 on February 13, 2021, 10:05:25 am by Bentley Bullet »
I see, so because there have been no benefits, and it's unlikely there will be any in the future it's not really intended as a benefits log thread then, is it?

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #403 on February 13, 2021, 10:28:23 am by belton rover »
I see, so because there have been no benefits, and it's unlikely there will be any in the future it's not really intended as a benefits log thread then, is it?
Bentley. How dare you suggest that?
Disgraceful behaviour.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #404 on February 13, 2021, 10:33:41 am by Not Now Kato »

I did not say that BB, please don't put words into my mouth.  For the record, I genuinely hope that there will be benefits to offset the downsides we are already seeing; and I look forward to seeing them posted here.  I am please though that you recognise there have been no benefits thus far.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #405 on February 13, 2021, 11:36:51 am by drfchound »
When the question of Brexit first arose the majority of people that I knew who were going to vote to leave said that they wanted us to have control of our borders.
I suppose they meant stopping refugees and illegal immigrants coming in.
Has that really happened I wonder.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #406 on February 13, 2021, 11:38:15 am by Bentley Bullet »
The biggest and most important benefit of Brexit thus far has been that it has finally happened and a democratic vote has been carried out after years of objections and obstacles from the EU itself and Remoaners who wanted to overrule the referendum result.

Threads like this that are intended to antagonise show that the bad feeling hasn't gone away, and to be made at a time when a pandemic has no doubt made it harder for the UK to adjust to Brexit makes it plainly obvious that under no circumstances will it ever go away.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #407 on February 13, 2021, 11:56:35 am by Glyn_Wigley »
When the question of Brexit first arose the majority of people that I knew who were going to vote to leave said that they wanted us to have control of our borders.

Can someone can explain how leaving the EU affects what an illegal immigrant would attempt to do in any way that  staying in the EU prevented us from stopping them? How would having/removing borders make any difference to someone who ignores them anyway?

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #408 on February 13, 2021, 12:48:19 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I don't think the problem with being in the EU was so much the number of illegal immigrants as much as some of the legal ones.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/home-office-announces-tougher-criminality-rules-for-eu-citizens

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #409 on February 13, 2021, 01:23:55 pm by idler »
A small step in the right direction as long as it's not just a throwaway soundbite. What we need is action not promises that never materialise.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #410 on February 13, 2021, 01:27:43 pm by drfchound »

Can someone can explain how leaving the EU affects what an illegal immigrant would attempt to do in any way that  staying in the EU prevented us from stopping them? How would having/removing borders make any difference to someone who ignores them anyway?

I have no idea GW.
Perhaps you should be asking some of the people I know, after all they were the ones saying it, not me.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #411 on February 13, 2021, 01:45:06 pm by Bentley Bullet »
A small step in the right direction as long as it's not just a throwaway soundbite. What we need is action not promises that never materialise.

I agree, Idler. At least we are allowed to take the action needed now, whereas under the EU regulations we weren't. Hopefully, the government can now carry out the action without objections from elsewhere.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #412 on February 13, 2021, 01:46:29 pm by drfchound »
Isn’t that a benefit BB.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #413 on February 13, 2021, 01:50:35 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Isn’t that a benefit BB.

Of course it is Hound, but it seems benefits are much maligned on this thread, despite its title!

Hounslowrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #414 on February 13, 2021, 01:53:16 pm by Hounslowrover »
Aren't we losing access to the EU criminal records of EU citizens, so we won't know if an EU citizen is a criminal or not? 

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #415 on February 13, 2021, 02:02:53 pm by wilts rover »
The biggest and most important benefit of Brexit thus far has been that it has finally happened and a democratic vote has been carried out after years of objections and obstacles from the EU itself and Remoaners who wanted to overrule the referendum result.

Threads like this that are intended to antagonise show that the bad feeling hasn't gone away, and to be made at a time when a pandemic has no doubt made it harder for the UK to adjust to Brexit makes it plainly obvious that under no circumstances will it ever go away.

The pandemic hasn't stopped Amsterdam becoming the leading share trading centre in Europe. Nor has it stopped a 450% rise in ferry traffic from the RoI to mainland Europe. Or Ineos setting up a new car plant in France.

Which particular benefit were you thinking of that it has stopped the UK from achieving?

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #416 on February 13, 2021, 02:16:15 pm by wilts rover »

Illegal immigrants are by their very definition illegal and therefore nothing to do with the EU or EU laws.

The rules governing refugees are set down in the 1951 Refugee Convention (commonly known as the Geneva Convention) that the UK assisted in drafting and is an independent signatory too. Adherence to this is overseen by the United Nations - of which the UK is a permanent member on the Security Council.

If the UK wishes to change its laws to make things that are already illegal even more illegal, or to break the Geneva Convention and be ostrasised by the UN, they are at liberty to do so, regardless of whether or not we are in the EU. So sorry to break it to your friends if that doesn't happen, but it wont be a benefit of Brexit.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #417 on February 13, 2021, 02:17:41 pm by Bentley Bullet »
.....And there we go! Wasn't it obvious why Wilts was the hot favourite to completely confirm what I said!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #418 on February 13, 2021, 02:23:44 pm by drfchound »

Illegal immigrants are by their very definition illegal and therefore nothing to do with the EU or EU laws.

The rules governing refugees are set down in the 1951 Refugee Convention (commonly known as the Geneva Convention) that the UK assisted in drafting and is an independent signatory too. Adherence to this is overseen by the United Nations - of which the UK is a permanent member on the Security Council.

If the UK wishes to change its laws to make things that are already illegal even more illegal, or to break the Geneva Convention and be ostrasised by the UN, they are at liberty to do so, regardless of whether or not we are in the EU. So sorry to break it to your friends if that doesn't happen, but it wont be a benefit of Brexit.

Wilts.
As I pointed out to GW, it was exactly what some people were saying to me (about immigrants) so I was putting it out there for forum consumption.
I am not interested in saying anything to the people who were saying it.
They had their reason to vote for Brexit I suppose.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #419 on February 13, 2021, 07:17:58 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Hound.

Did you tell them that the EU wasn't responsible for illegal immigration?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012