Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:03:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Brexit Benefits Log  (Read 62492 times)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
Re: Brexit Benefits Log
« Reply #480 on February 19, 2021, 06:49:35 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Suspect it's an online thing.  I have a pork joint for Sunday and it's clearly got the country of origin (Denmark) written on the front.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #481 on February 19, 2021, 07:35:42 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Poor old Glyn, so angry with life.

You really can't help being wrong all the time, can you? I'm beginning to think you're a masochist who enjoys looking like a berk.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #482 on February 20, 2021, 08:52:12 am by wilts rover »
Looks like you might be struggling for British flowers this year - is this a benefit?

https://www.ft.com/content/e87bf45c-e1a6-4d8e-98f5-f0411820f48e

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #483 on February 20, 2021, 08:58:40 am by drfchound »
Looks like you might be struggling for British flowers this year - is this a benefit?

https://www.ft.com/content/e87bf45c-e1a6-4d8e-98f5-f0411820f48e

I think most people would have expected that wilts but isn’t it strange that Boston was Britain’s most pro Brexit town despite the fact that growers in that area relied heavily on European labour.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #484 on February 20, 2021, 09:26:12 am by Donnywolf »
They felt they were over run with eu citizens which contributed to the Schools Doctors and the one Hospital for miles feeling the pressure of the "immigrants". Ditto Wisbech which is close by

However that Veg is not generally pick itself. Sure there is mechanisation for some crops but there are others that DO rely on actual people and some like Cabbages are semi mechanised

I feel (and am repeating this so sorry) that the locals will eventually take up those positions. They may not think they will but eventually Iain Duncan Smith and others will listen to the Farmers / Growers and stop peoples benefits especially if they wont volunteer for the low paid menial jobs themselves

On unemployment - there are jobs here for you - what do you mean you dont want to trim Cabbages to fit placcy bags - sorry we will have to stop your benefit. Who cant see that scenario coming ?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #485 on February 20, 2021, 01:04:09 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Question wolf is whether that is correct.  When there are jobs there shouldn't people do them?

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #486 on February 20, 2021, 02:05:59 pm by Donnywolf »
That was my point really

The local population voted the EU Workers out via a Leave vote - and then when there are no workers to do those jobs some of those people who voted to remove the "labour face" will probably be selected to take those jobs especially if unemployed at the time they are offered the job

The people needing to be recruited will not surely be in the "highly needed" groups in our Points based immigration system I dont suppose either and so those locals and not so locals may have voted themselves into jobs

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #487 on February 20, 2021, 02:19:24 pm by River Don »
I suppose, if that comes in Wolfie, growers will have to offer minimum wage... Where as they didn't always do that with the migrant workforce.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #488 on February 20, 2021, 09:51:46 pm by BigH »
They felt they were over run with eu citizens which contributed to the Schools Doctors and the one Hospital for miles feeling the pressure of the "immigrants". Ditto Wisbech which is close by

However that Veg is not generally pick itself. Sure there is mechanisation for some crops but there are others that DO rely on actual people and some like Cabbages are semi mechanised

I feel (and am repeating this so sorry) that the locals will eventually take up those positions. They may not think they will but eventually Iain Duncan Smith and others will listen to the Farmers / Growers and stop peoples benefits especially if they wont volunteer for the low paid menial jobs themselves

On unemployment - there are jobs here for you - what do you mean you dont want to trim Cabbages to fit placcy bags - sorry we will have to stop your benefit. Who cant see that scenario coming ?
Hmm.

If the locals don't step up then, over the next ten years they should expect an influx of Chinese, Indian and Nigerian immigrants.

Part of the 'deal' that global Britain will cut with its 'new' trading partners.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #489 on February 21, 2021, 08:20:16 am by Donnywolf »
Maybe right but if we have taken back Control of our Borders as we are told then the Points based system will be severely tested

I dont know much about it tbh but incoming people into Australia have to be "trades" or "skills" that they need so Teachers get in Nurses get in etc etc  but I presume from my limited exposure to it Veg pickers and Road Sweepers dont get in

This seems to be what we are aiming for and I believe (guessing) there is a minimum Wage that you have to attain in your own Country (say India) before the UK will let you in in addition to the Points. I believe there were warnings fired earlier because most Nurses in the places you mention above would be nowhere near earning the £25k (another estimate) they would need to get in

As you say rightly though the Trade deals we signed with the Pacific Trading Partners MIGHT cut through all that and let them all in as "cheap labour" but then what will leaving the EU have achieved ? To me it would only have seemed to have changed EU labour for non EU labour and those latter people would then be filling Schools and Doctors Surgeries and Hospital beds

So what would those who voted Leave to remove foreign workers from the UK think about that I wonder.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #490 on February 21, 2021, 09:42:03 am by wilts rover »
You could be right there Wolfie. It's almost as though (some) people were tricked into believing there would be a certain outcome if they voted one way in a referendum by (a small group of extremly wealthy & politically connected) people whose actual goal in that referendum was totally different, hmmm...

Agricultural workers are prioritised in the points based system btw. The thing is if people don't want to come - stuff will still rot in the fields - it doesn't care.

Which is as it may be but deflects from the actual facts of Brexit and is what we are seeing now a benefit?

Still all helping to make the economy smaller eh, which is what they say they wanted.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #491 on February 21, 2021, 10:14:02 am by Glyn_Wigley »
Still all helping to make the economy smaller eh, which is what they say they wanted.

No, it's what certain WUMs are saying now that they can see it's what we're getting.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #492 on February 21, 2021, 11:33:18 am by belton rover »
https://www.redpepper.org.uk/how-business-benefits-from-brexit/

Again, I await the derision from the experts.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #493 on February 21, 2021, 12:42:54 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I assume you have read the content of that article Belton? In which case, perhaps you could summarise what the authors claim are the benefits, and more specifically, why we should want to have them?

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #494 on February 21, 2021, 12:47:09 pm by belton rover »
Why would I summarise for you Billy? Can’t you be arsed to read it?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #495 on February 21, 2021, 01:08:08 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
No Belton, I've read every word. I'm just genuinely struggling to understand why you put that forward as an example of benefits and I thought perhaps you could explain.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #496 on February 21, 2021, 01:20:04 pm by wilts rover »
https://www.redpepper.org.uk/how-business-benefits-from-brexit/

Again, I await the derision from the experts.

Why would anyone wish to deride it is pretty much what I have been saying since the referendum campaign?

Breixt was a project initated by millionaires on behalf of billionaires to turn the UK into a de-regulated, tax haven for oligarchs, hedge funds and money launderers - whilst cutting workers rights and environmental protection at the same time.

Of course it will benefit them - but if you are saying it will benefit the UK in general, well...

Masses more on it here btw on the individuals, organisations and how they are connected, buts its a bit heavy going:

https://bakerstreetherald.com/

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #497 on February 21, 2021, 01:22:54 pm by belton rover »
I’ve ‘put forward’ the views of two retired university lecturers as their examples of the benefits of Brexit.
Your beef should be with them.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #498 on February 21, 2021, 01:39:27 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Belton.

I know you have. But I'm not convinced you have understood their point.

The "benefits" they point out are the possibility of a big drop in corporation tax and further deregulation of the finance markets.

The authors are crystal clear that these are benefits for CAPITAL, not for the population of the UK. So I'm genuinely struggling to understand why you would push this as a benefit, unless you believe, (as I do as it happens) that one of the purposes of Brexit was to use the votes of ordinary people to enrich the already very wealthy. If that's your point, then fair enough, I accept that these are benefits.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #499 on February 21, 2021, 01:54:23 pm by belton rover »
I’m not pushing anything.
Except, perhaps, that everyone is entitled to a view, however different it might be to mine or yours.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #500 on February 21, 2021, 01:58:56 pm by Ldr »
Except, perhaps, that everyone is entitled to a view, however different it might be to mine or yours.

Give it up mate, nothing will be accepted by the junta on here

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #501 on February 21, 2021, 02:03:58 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Grand. Then we HAVE established that an "outcome" of Brexit is that high finance can now pressurise Govt to have taxes on its profits and regulations on its activities reduced.

As Wilts says, some of us Brexit critics have been making that case for years, so it's good to see a Brexit supporter now making it. I'm still struggling to see it as a net "benefit" to the UK as a whole, mind, nevermind to the folk of Donny who were so steadfastly sure of what their "Leave" vote meant.

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #502 on February 21, 2021, 02:13:07 pm by belton rover »
Billy. I am making no case of any such thing. This is all really immature of you.

Not Now Kato

• VSC Member
« Reply #503 on February 21, 2021, 02:16:46 pm by Not Now Kato »

Give it up mate, nothing will be accepted by the junta on here

The truth, and genuine benefits to the UK as a whole will always be accepted LDR.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #504 on February 21, 2021, 02:23:21 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Belton.

So you post on a Brexit Benefits thread, an argument that the benefits to capital will be lower taxes and regulations. But you are not making a case that that is a benefit? You're just saying that everyone is entitled to a view?

See, if you'd just said that at the start...

belton rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #505 on February 21, 2021, 02:48:57 pm by belton rover »
Billy. I posted a link to the views of two scholars on the benefits of Brexit, on a benefits of Brexit log thread.
My apologies if that was misleading.

Ldr

• Forum Member
« Reply #506 on February 21, 2021, 02:55:20 pm by Ldr »
Billy. I posted a link to the views of two scholars on the benefits of Brexit, on a benefits of Brexit log thread.
My apologies if that was misleading.

Have you not noticed that the goalposts have changed now from benefit to benefits the whole of the UK

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #507 on February 21, 2021, 03:00:58 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Stay away from negative people. They have a problem for every solution.

A Einstein.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #508 on February 21, 2021, 03:03:50 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Ldr.

I have no problem whatsoever in accepting that Brexit will massively benefit the capital markets. Never have.
Ass I said a few posts up, it's grand if Brexit supporters are now seeing that this is one of the outcomes, because I don't recall them trumpeting that as a Brexit outcome previously.

I'm just asking how that translates into benefitting the rest of us.

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #509 on February 21, 2021, 03:37:11 pm by wilts rover »
I’ve ‘put forward’ the views of two retired university lecturers as their examples of the benefits of Brexit.
Your beef should be with them.

Sorry, I have said I agree with them? If anything they don't go far enough in explaining exactly who will benefit - and who will lose out - and why.

The question is do you agree with them - you posted it?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012