Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 05:23:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Two strikers  (Read 16276 times)

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
Re: Two strikers
« Reply #60 on August 08, 2019, 03:36:45 pm by bpoolrover »
If true keep saying wages not transfer fees but how much we are willing to pay the players. We haven’t signed players of Championship standard since Billy the going rate has risen and it appears in our wage structure we can’t do it. I hope I’m wrong let’s see.
sorry I thought we had signed Whiteman a couple of years ago, but I could be wrong 🙄😁
We signed Whiteman young player in league 2 on league 2 wages. We were not trying to sign pedigree strikers from the Championship on top end league 1 wages. We are trying to sign two strikers from the Championship with the equivalent wages as JM can’t see that happening.
did we not sign him from sheff united, don’t think they really wanted him to go but realised he would want 1st team football

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on August 08, 2019, 03:37:48 pm by DonnyOsmond »
If true keep saying wages not transfer fees but how much we are willing to pay the players. We haven’t signed players of Championship standard since Billy the going rate has risen and it appears in our wage structure we can’t do it. I hope I’m wrong let’s see.
sorry I thought we had signed Whiteman a couple of years ago, but I could be wrong 🙄😁
We signed Whiteman young player in league 2 on league 2 wages. We were not trying to sign pedigree strikers from the Championship on top end league 1 wages. We are trying to sign two strikers from the Championship with the equivalent wages as JM can’t see that happening.

Whiteman joined us in League One?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on August 08, 2019, 03:41:33 pm by RoversAlias »
Whiteman signed in League 1 from a Championship side.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on August 08, 2019, 03:49:39 pm by vaya »
...and presumably not on League Two wages.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on August 08, 2019, 04:02:00 pm by steve@dcfd »
Ok presumably not what rattled your age vaya you only come out when somebody as a go at the club which I’m not. Just trying to be realistic at this time.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 04:26:54 pm by steve@dcfd »

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on August 08, 2019, 04:47:15 pm by the vicar »
If we can't find a striker then bring one of our young players in to the fold and see how they blossom

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on August 08, 2019, 04:57:28 pm by Spilsby Red »
Boocock. See if he can play without nerves. Other strikers have done it at that age with big clubs

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on August 08, 2019, 05:00:09 pm by Alan Southstand »
Have you seen Boocock, Spilsby?

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on August 08, 2019, 05:01:25 pm by vaya »
Ok presumably not what rattled your age vaya you only come out when somebody as a go at the club which I’m not. Just trying to be realistic at this time.

I haven't accused anyone of anything Steve, just pointing out Whiteman realistically is unlikely to have been signed on League Two wages.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on August 08, 2019, 05:03:21 pm by silent majority »
If we’re going to be spending substantial money though on transfer fees we have to then up the anti with the wages otherwise they simply won’t come.

We’ve saved an absolute fortune in wages in the last two seasons so there must be money in the wage bill for us to be offering the right money

I struggle with this. For the last two seasons we have spent over and above our budget. And yet we have saved an absolute fortune on wages according to you. The wage bill is the budget, or at least the largest part of it. I just don't follow your logic here.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on August 08, 2019, 05:09:05 pm by Michael Shaw »
It's a simple fact that last season we started with 2 wins and 6 points. So far we only have 1 draw so we need a win on Saturday, and without these strikers our chance of winning are slim when we can't beat Gills at home with the current squad.
We are supposedly trying to repeat last year's success aren't we or are we supposed to just pretend everything is wonderful to the end of the season?

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on August 08, 2019, 05:11:41 pm by Spilsby Red »
No I haven’t. As I live away. However, a lot of people have raved about him, so why not see if he has the mantle to succeed. Only saying about looking at one of our own

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on August 08, 2019, 05:11:51 pm by Michael Shaw »
I'm not having a pop at the board, the manager or the budget. I am only interested in results and where we will stand in the league at the end.

firestarter

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on August 08, 2019, 05:12:33 pm by firestarter »
“Need a win”... !! Bloody hell I didn’t realise we were already in a relegation dogfight!! .. think before posting in future I suggest

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on August 08, 2019, 05:15:07 pm by Nudga »
I'm not having a pop at the board, the manager or the budget. I am only interested in results and where we will stand in the league at the end.

Slight contradiction on the previous then, about needing a win on Saturday because we only drew last weekend.

I would say give it 15 games before making bold statements.
Transfer market isn't closed yet and there is also January transfer market to find tune.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on August 08, 2019, 05:17:39 pm by DonnyOsmond »
If we can't find a striker then bring one of our young players in to the fold and see how they blossom

Or Ennis.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on August 08, 2019, 05:18:15 pm by IDM »
Not so long ago Norwich lost 1-7 at home on opening day.. didn’t they win the title that season.?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #77 on August 08, 2019, 05:18:38 pm by dickos1 »
If we’re going to be spending substantial money though on transfer fees we have to then up the anti with the wages otherwise they simply won’t come.

We’ve saved an absolute fortune in wages in the last two seasons so there must be money in the wage bill for us to be offering the right money

I struggle with this. For the last two seasons we have spent over and above our budget. And yet we have saved an absolute fortune on wages according to you. The wage bill is the budget, or at least the largest part of it. I just don't follow your logic here.

Last season when the window closed we were told mccann didn’t feel the need to use all the money available to him?

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on August 08, 2019, 05:19:36 pm by Michael Shaw »
We were told all season to be patient and we were promised "mythical" strikers were coming so where are they?

I do think what I say and so do many more posters on here, but it doesn't make us all wrong just because some on here don't want to hear it.

We will never get into the Championship and have 10,000 through the gates as long as we accept mediocrity, I hear plenty of that on this site.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #79 on August 08, 2019, 05:22:44 pm by dickos1 »

It’s not something I’m making up, the players that have left the club since the season before last far outweighs the players that have come in.
It’s dramatically more.
This is fine if we’re going for quality over quantity but at the moment we’re struggling to find this quality

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on August 08, 2019, 05:23:12 pm by IDM »
I hear plenty of impatience on here..

Our transfer window isn’t shut yet..

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #81 on August 08, 2019, 05:24:34 pm by dickos1 »
You are right of course but it’s a long time to wait playing games with no recognised striker?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on August 08, 2019, 05:30:09 pm by IDM »
Ennis can play central, didn’t DM say.?

And we won’t necessarily be waiting to the end of the window..

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on August 08, 2019, 05:30:21 pm by Al4475 »
Didn't Spain do that quite well for a time while they waited patiently for the next young striker with potential to break into their squad?

Play without a recognised striker I mean.

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on August 08, 2019, 05:31:39 pm by Copps is Magic »
Yeah,” he said when asked if he was still pursuing his original targets. “But there may be one or two others that have become available.

“Maybe thoughts and have attentions have had to switch because that is the business what we’re in.

“It's the case where 24 hours is a long time in football and the dynamics may change over the next few hours with the transfer window closing

Possibly because other clubs might be in for them,” he said. “Possibly because behind the scenes things aren't quite right for us, or the players, or advisers, the football club..

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers/doncaster-rovers-darren-moore-updates-on-the-hunt-for-strikers-489145

Now, I read that very much as I said earlier, we can't compete with championship clubs until the window closes. Not that the deals are dead.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on August 08, 2019, 05:36:38 pm by NickDRFC »
Didn't Spain do that quite well for a time while they waited patiently for the next young striker with potential to break into their squad?

Play without a recognised striker I mean.

That was arguably one of the the most technically able squad of players ever, not sure you can really compare it to a League One club!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on August 08, 2019, 05:39:13 pm by IDM »
Didn’t we sometimes play 4-6-0 under SoD.?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on August 08, 2019, 05:43:30 pm by dickos1 »
I’m sure some people would argue the benefits of playing with no goalkeeper and 6 outfield players rather than show any criticism of the club

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on August 08, 2019, 05:43:34 pm by Chris Black come back »
Don’t know about that, but the Ipswich home game we certainly played 0-6-4.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on August 08, 2019, 05:46:20 pm by Nudga »
Didn’t we sometimes play 4-6-0 under SoD.?

It was a formation that meant we attacked with 6 players and then defended with 6 players once the ball was lost.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012