Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 18, 2024, 09:58:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: License to thrill...  (Read 12481 times)

pubteam

Re: License to thrill...
« Reply #60 on April 20, 2013, 09:50:08 pm by pubteam »
All this chuffing negative nonsense about Flynn gets on my t*its! For heavens sake, after 45 games we were only one goal, yes one miserable goal, from going up. Brentford drew this evening, so what would have been the reaction if today's score had been reversed? Best manager we've had for years? Give him 5-year contract? I could go on, but won't. Talk about fickle fans  :headbang:

I'm going out to get pi**ed!

It's only fickle if you thought he was brilliant last week, but not this week now we've lost. I didn't. I've been consistent in my views on him for over a month.

Over a month you say. Thus meaning you came to the conclusion after 7 or 8 games that he is clueless.
Your comments on Flynn are the same comments you were arguing against when Saunders was here.

No. I was unsure about him after quite a short time in charge. I started to question him when he began spouting all the "best team in the league" claptrap and then we'd subsequently deliver a lacklustre performance and lose the next game.

Completely different to Saunders anyway. He took over a team that was doomed. Flynn took over an efficient unit that could grind out results on a consistent basis, and we stopped doing that. When standards are low and it's difficult to turn them round, it's a bit different to when they're high and then they seem to drop.

Anyway, it's a waste of time this because we're never going to agree. Check the stats. Form, PPG, goals scored, games where we fail to score etc etc etc. They are in front of your eyes. If you choose to ignore them, that's up to you.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on April 20, 2013, 09:53:37 pm by dickos1 »
We've also beat Bournemouth, Swindon, tranmere, Scunthorpe, Shrewsbury, Hartlepool, Crewe, over the same period.

Capmeister

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on April 20, 2013, 09:55:47 pm by Capmeister »
We were garbage. Don't care. We'll win at Brentford. And if we don't I personally Dunt give a toss. Cos I'm Donny whatever the weather ;o)7

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on April 20, 2013, 09:56:06 pm by dickos1 »
I'm not suggesting he's a great manager, but there were loads of people giving Saunders stick and you argued it wasn't his side he hadn't been here long enough to judge him etc etc, all things I agreed with.
Then Flynn comes and you give him the treatment that you'd previously argued against for many months.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on April 20, 2013, 09:56:44 pm by CusworthRovers »
Too true Bob, but the opposite is we took 3 at Bournemouth, we took 3 at Stevenage and Shrewsbury when all looked lost. That's 9 points back.

We've took 3 wins from Bournemouth, Tranmere and Swindon, recently. Brentford will be the 4th. That's what I'm holding onto anyway.

Right another Stella or Rioja time........hmmmmmm

pubteam

« Reply #65 on April 20, 2013, 09:58:44 pm by pubteam »
I'm not suggesting he's a great manager, but there were loads of people giving Saunders stick and you argued it wasn't his side he hadn't been here long enough to judge him etc etc, all things I agreed with.
Then Flynn comes and you give him the treatment that you'd previously argued against for many months.

What I said before. I would imagine it's more difficult trying to turn around a below-par team who are doomed at the bottom of the league than it is to keep a consistent, confident team going in the same direction.

He was appointed to keep it going, and the stats (and the performances) suggest to me he hasn't done that.

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on April 20, 2013, 10:00:53 pm by River Don »
All this chuffing negative nonsense about Flynn gets on my t*its! For heavens sake, after 45 games we were only one goal, yes one miserable goal, from going up. Brentford drew this evening, so what would have been the reaction if today's score had been reversed? Best manager we've had for years? Give him 5-year contract? I could go on, but won't. Talk about fickle fans  :headbang:

I'm going out to get pi**ed!

It's only fickle if you thought he was brilliant last week, but not this week now we've lost. I didn't. I've been consistent in my views on him for over a month.

Over a month you say. Thus meaning you came to the conclusion after 7 or 8 games that he is clueless.
Your comments on Flynn are the same comments you were arguing against when Saunders was here.

No. I was unsure about him after quite a short time in charge. I started to question him when he began spouting all the "best team in the league" claptrap and then we'd subsequently deliver a lacklustre performance and lose the next game.

Completely different to Saunders anyway. He took over a team that was doomed. Flynn took over an efficient unit that could grind out results on a consistent basis, and we stopped doing that. When standards are low and it's difficult to turn them round, it's a bit different to when they're high and then they seem to drop.

Anyway, it's a waste of time this because we're never going to agree. Check the stats. Form, PPG, goals scored, games where we fail to score etc etc etc. They are in front of your eyes. If you choose to ignore them, that's up to you.

I will admit, I have my doubts.

That said, IF he delivers promotion I believe you have to give the guy a fair go and reward him for that. It would be a great achievement.

And you can't say that he hasn't done good things for the team, he's brought in Lundstram and Furlong. He pulled us through a difficult period of injuries to the top of the league no less.

Let's leave it until after we finish the season.

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on April 20, 2013, 10:01:54 pm by Mr1Croft »
But there is no guarantee any other manager could have inherited this squad and kept it consistent, the fact is (regardless of stats) we can still go up next Saturday if we avoid defeat, as far as Im concerned that is consistent considering that was the aim when he took over.

pubteam

« Reply #68 on April 20, 2013, 10:03:27 pm by pubteam »
But there is no guarantee any other manager could have inherited this squad and kept it consistent, the fact is (regardless of stats) we can still go up next Saturday if we avoid defeat, as far as Im concerned that is consistent considering that was the aim when he took over.

NOTHING can be guaranteed though. So that's that then yeah? We just write all of our concerns off because it can't be guaranteed that any other manager would've done better?

Seems like flimsy logic to me.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on April 20, 2013, 10:04:33 pm by BobG »
I agree Cussy, Dickos. of course we got those points you mention. But to lose, consistently, to poor sides (well, all except Walsall anyway) is not the mark of a good side is it? Beating the champions elect at their place doesn't make up for what is becoming a very consistent weakness. Beating good sides away and losing to poor sides at home - and away sometimes too - don't look to me like a team that is worthy of winning anything much. There's something right. and there's something very wrong too.

BobG

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on April 20, 2013, 10:13:05 pm by CusworthRovers »
There is something that is weird Bob, but only in our home/away form. It's quite unusual to say the least. That said, over the season the stats will hopefully say we have won more games than anybody else in this League (we currently share that with B'Muff) and have more points than anybody else (hopefully after Brentford).
Anybody other than a Rovers fan, will think life is great for us and nothing to be concerned about, but us fans know this home/away form or set up seriously needs addressing

I've cringed at our performances under Deano, but I'm more happier under Flynny (even though we're nowhere near where we were last time we went up)

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #71 on April 20, 2013, 10:15:28 pm by dickos1 »

What I said before. I would imagine it's more difficult trying to turn around a below-par team who are doomed at the bottom of the league than it is to keep a consistent, confident team going in the same direction.

He was appointed to keep it going, and the stats (and the performances) suggest to me he hasn't done that.

Of course he's kept it going were in exactly the same position as when he took over, yes ppg has gone down but so has the ppg of almost every other side around us. If it hadn't then we would've fallen down the league, it could also have fallen under Saunders.
Nobody in this league has maintained 1.9 points a game this season

pubteam

« Reply #72 on April 20, 2013, 10:17:57 pm by pubteam »

Of course he's kept it going were in exactly the same position as when he took over, yes ppg has gone down but so has the ppg of almost every other side around us. If it hadn't then we would've fallen down the league, it could also have fallen under Saunders.
Nobody in this league has maintained 1.9 points a game this season

If PPG has gone down, he hasn't kept it going, has he?

We're not scoring as consistently etc.

Sod it. I can't be arsed. We're going round in circles. If you can't accept facts, there's no point me trying to convince you with what I think.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on April 20, 2013, 10:21:27 pm by dickos1 »
The fact is were 2nd in the table, exactly where we were when he took over. Regardless of goals scored ppg, he's maintained our league position.

pubteam

« Reply #74 on April 20, 2013, 10:29:50 pm by pubteam »
The fact is were 2nd in the table, exactly where we were when he took over. Regardless of goals scored ppg, he's maintained our league position.

Burton Albion were 19 points clear at the top of the Conference on 6th January 2008.

Nigel Clough left for Derby, and their lead at the top was reduced week by week, as they plodded along in mid-table form under Roy McFarland. They were crowned champions on the last game of the season, finishing the season with a two point lead over second placed Cambridge United.

Was Burton's league position and subsequent promotion because of Roy McFarland?

River Don

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on April 20, 2013, 10:34:05 pm by River Don »

Burton Albion were 19 points clear at the top of the Conference on 6th January 2008.

Nigel Clough left for Derby, and their lead at the top was reduced week by week, as they plodded along in mid-table form under Roy McFarland. They were crowned champions on the last game of the season, finishing the season with a two point lead over second placed Cambridge United.

To me it doesn't matter, if he delivers promotion then he deserves his reward.

Football clubs chop and change managers far too easily. Consistency has delivered the Rovers success, we should stand by that belief.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 10:40:44 pm by River Don »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on April 20, 2013, 10:40:15 pm by dickos1 »

Now your making your arguement look even more ridiculous. Our lead has never been reduced, we've even improved our league position under him, absolutely nothing like the example you've tried to use.

pubteam

« Reply #77 on April 20, 2013, 10:44:04 pm by pubteam »

Now your making your arguement look even more ridiculous. Our lead has never been reduced, we've even improved our league position under him, absolutely nothing like the example you've tried to use.

If anyone's argument is ridiculous, it's yours, frankly.

If we've maintained our position, but you accept that our form has been worse, then we've maintained our position because other teams have been in poor form, right?

So have other teams been in poor form because Brian Flynn is a good manager? Is it Brian Flynn's doing that other teams dip in form?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #78 on April 20, 2013, 10:48:21 pm by dickos1 »
The point your missing is that every side goes through bad spells and the fact we've maintained our league position emphasises this point, otherwise we would've fallen down the table.
So our form has dropped but that's obviously a trend that happens to every team every year, so whether Saunders was here or Flynn then our form would have dropped, how many teams get ninety odd points in a season?

pubteam

« Reply #79 on April 20, 2013, 10:49:39 pm by pubteam »
The point your missing is that every side goes through bad spells and the fact we've maintained our league position emphasises this point, otherwise we would've fallen down the table.
So our form has dropped but that's obviously a trend that happens to every team every year, so whether Saunders was here or Flynn then our form would have dropped, how many teams get ninety odd points in a season?

So the basis of your argument is 'we would've dipped under Saunders anyway'?

Sums it up.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on April 20, 2013, 10:55:30 pm by dickos1 »
Eh??
No basis of arguement is our form has dipped along with almost every other side in the division.
Why don't we all get rid of our managers then, yeah?

Sums it up

pubteam

« Reply #81 on April 20, 2013, 10:56:18 pm by pubteam »
You can't educate pork.

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on April 20, 2013, 11:08:18 pm by bedale rover »
i'm with cussy i thought were poor under saunders especially at home
we were functional rather than exciting
i think that flynn has tried to improve the quality of player but for me the back four is both a strength and a weakness
he daren't change it but we need to have someone to bring the ball out to supplement the midfield which too often is overrun as like today
i keep saying it but playing a 4-3-3 would be more solid
but that is the danger of taking a team over that is doing well change has to be incremental or risk destroying what made it successful in the first place

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #83 on April 20, 2013, 11:11:54 pm by dickos1 »
Run along sausage.
Enjoy your day in brentford full of doom and gloom

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #84 on April 20, 2013, 11:16:40 pm by dickos1 »
i'm with cussy i thought were poor under saunders especially at home
we were functional rather than exciting
i think that flynn has tried to improve the quality of player but for me the back four is both a strength and a weakness
he daren't change it but we need to have someone to bring the ball out to supplement the midfield which too often is overrun as like today
i keep saying it but playing a 4-3-3 would be more solid
but that is the danger of taking a team over that is doing well change has to be incremental or risk destroying what made it successful in the first place

Precisely bedale, Flynn was on a hiding to nothing when he took over.
Don't understand the negativity towards him, even when Saunders left people were saying we were a poor side and had been very lucky, yet now we were brilliant under Saunders and its fallen apart under Flynn.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on April 20, 2013, 11:17:03 pm by Viking Don »
The fact is this is a very competitive league and teams at the lower half have been beating those in the top half quite often. Look how tight it was at the top a few weeks ago, it was anyone's!

Notts County have only lost 5 away games all season and drawn 11 so anyone who thought today was a formality aren't taking the opposition into account - they've only failed to pick up points in 5 out of 23 games ffs!

On a negative note, Brentford have only failed to pick up all three points in 8 out their 22 home games (so far), but we have only failed to pick up points in 4 of our 22 away games...

It's going to be tight, but hell, at least we're in the playoffs no matter what.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on April 21, 2013, 09:54:21 pm by Lesonthewest »
He got totally wrong yet again today, Hume should have been a must to start at home, the pairing of Brown & Paynter just doesn't work. It was just hit & hope all afternoon.

It worked at Bournemouth

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on April 21, 2013, 09:57:00 pm by Lesonthewest »
He got totally wrong yet again today, Hume should have been a must to start at home, the pairing of Brown & Paynter just doesn't work. It was just hit & hope all afternoon.

It worked at Bournemouth

Absolutely it did, then again that was away, that's why I said Hume must start at home.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on April 22, 2013, 10:04:37 am by Donnybax »
We're 2nd in the league need a point to be promoted from our last game he our manager is described as a clueless bas**rd. Ridiculous. It seems to me that if we win well done team massive team spirit and all that but if we lose its always flynns fault.

JBRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on April 22, 2013, 10:40:03 am by JBRover »
The fact is this is a very competitive league and teams at the lower half have been beating those in the top half quite often. Look how tight it was at the top a few weeks ago, it was anyone's!

Notts County have only lost 5 away games all season and drawn 11 so anyone who thought today was a formality aren't taking the opposition into account - they've only failed to pick up points in 5 out of 23 games ffs!

On a negative note, Brentford have only failed to pick up all three points in 8 out their 22 home games (so far), but we have only failed to pick up points in 4 of our 22 away games...

It's going to be tight, but hell, at least we're in the playoffs no matter what.

It will be a lot more competitive next year if we fail to gain promotion! This was an ideal season to push on and probably the easiest opportunity for quite a few years to get out of this league. Next year it is quite possible that League 1 will have teams like Wolves, Blackburn or Barnsley joining the already relegated  Bristol City, so next year will be a huge ask!!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012