Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 11:31:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: License to thrill...  (Read 12572 times)

pubteam

License to thrill...
« on April 20, 2013, 05:59:46 pm by pubteam »
...yet failed to score in 6 of the 18 games that our manager has been in charge. Thrilling.

Oh, and apparently we've won the SPL too, so that's good.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris

• Forum Member
Re: License to thrill...
« Reply #1 on April 20, 2013, 06:11:48 pm by Chris »
As much as I like Flynn, I think today's result will ultimately cost him a contract extension in the summer.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on April 20, 2013, 06:13:27 pm by RoversAlias »

Eh?

pubteam

« Reply #3 on April 20, 2013, 06:15:07 pm by pubteam »

Eh?

He said on Radio Sheffield earlier - "Since the chairman has been here, the club has been in seven play-offs and has won the SPL."

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on April 20, 2013, 06:15:13 pm by mushRTID »

Eh?

His interview on rovers player, he said we have won the SPL in the last few years.

Chris

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on April 20, 2013, 06:16:40 pm by Chris »

Eh?

His interview on rovers player, he said we have won the SPL in the last few years.

I'm clearing missing something as that must have been a joke.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on April 20, 2013, 06:17:33 pm by RoversAlias »
Strange error to make haha.

But yeah, was not happy with our lack of tactical nous today. I like Flynny too but he hasn't been convincing since taking over.

Viking Don

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on April 20, 2013, 06:18:20 pm by Viking Don »
He meant the JPT

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on April 20, 2013, 06:19:21 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Yeah, JPT, SPL. Both acronyms.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on April 20, 2013, 06:22:01 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
My big concern with him is his inertia on team selection.

Basically, when we win, he keeps the side that did the job. When we lose, he changes. That smacks of playing by numbers.

Our problem for much of the season has been having the nous or bit of the devil to break open well organised defensive sides at home. Away, we have the power and drive to hit teams on the break when we get more space. We will get chances and the issue then is sticking them away.

To me, it is therefore blindingly obvious that Hume is a home-type player for this side. He does the unexpected and he gives defenders a torrid time. He unsettles defences. Paynter is more of a box player, picking up chances.

So what have we done for the last 3 games? Kept Hume on the bench at home and started him away. Played Paynter at hom,e today after keeping him on the bench last Satdi.

I have seen nothing from Flynn that gives me any impression that he is a tactician. And in the final analysis, that looks like costing us. The squad he inherited was far, far better than one that has picked up 12 points in the final 9 home games of the season. That is relegation home form and is simply unacceptable from a squad of the ability that ours has. The finger clearly points at the boss.

ScillyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on April 20, 2013, 06:24:21 pm by ScillyRover »
He seems a nice fella and genuine to all intents and purposes but a permanent manager ?.... the jury is still out for me, I've yet to be convinced.

Sod This For a Laugh

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on April 20, 2013, 06:44:40 pm by Sod This For a Laugh »
Called it weeks ago. Still don't get the Flynn appointment, he is out of touch with the modern game even at this level.

Akinfenwa

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on April 20, 2013, 06:49:37 pm by Akinfenwa »
I'm convinced. Convinced that he most definitely isn't first team manager material. He seems like a friendly enough bloke but I really hate him as a manager and he talks so much bullshit it's ridiculous. Not to mention the amount of games where the team have looked clueless under him.

In January I thought that it would take a massive mistake appointment for us to mess up automatic promotion, and it seems like we have done. 31 points and 21 goals from 19 games is just cack considering the situation we found ourselves in after we'd just beaten Colchester 1-0.

I can only hope that there is a reason why JR hasn't yet decided to extend Flynn's contract.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on April 20, 2013, 06:55:22 pm by Lesonthewest »
He got totally wrong yet again today, Hume should have been a must to start at home, the pairing of Brown & Paynter just doesn't work. It was just hit & hope all afternoon.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on April 20, 2013, 06:57:41 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Hopefully Saunders gets sacked soon then we can have him back.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on April 20, 2013, 07:08:08 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I'm not sure it was tactically wrong. When players don't perform collectively, weaknesses are highlighted and half decent opposition, like we were up against today, made us look poor.

I was just so surprised how poorly Lundstram and Firman played today in comparison to their opposite numbers.   

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on April 20, 2013, 07:12:37 pm by IDM »
Jesus Christ folks, had we won today with a scrappy performance and been promoted, would you have been slating Flynn??

He made a decent substitution at Crewe did he not?  His starting 11 today should have been good enough, but it was just one of those days.

Big ask to beat Brentford next week, but its still on - perhaps reserve your judgement on BF untik after that game?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on April 20, 2013, 07:14:55 pm by dickos1 »
He got totally wrong yet again today, Hume should have been a must to start at home, the pairing of Brown & Paynter just doesn't work. It was just hit & hope all afternoon.

It worked at Bournemouth

pubteam

« Reply #18 on April 20, 2013, 07:16:44 pm by pubteam »
Jesus Christ folks, had we won today with a scrappy performance and been promoted, would you have been slating Flynn??

He made a decent substitution at Crewe did he not?  His starting 11 today should have been good enough, but it was just one of those days.

Big ask to beat Brentford next week, but its still on - perhaps reserve your judgement on BF untik after that game?

Maybe not slating him, but I still wouldn't want him as manager, and I've been sure of that for a while now.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on April 20, 2013, 07:17:45 pm by grayx »

Totally agree

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on April 20, 2013, 07:25:31 pm by Wiltshire Exile »

We don't have to beat 'em. A draw will be sufficient.  :)

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on April 20, 2013, 07:27:48 pm by dickos1 »

Totally agree

You agree with something that is wrong??
It worked when we beat the top of the table away from home, along with numerous other matches this season

Mr1Croft

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on April 20, 2013, 07:31:02 pm by Mr1Croft »
I dont think you can point the finger at him. Yes ultimatley if we dont get promoted he must take responsibility as he does for today. I thought first half we were okay and had the goal not been chalked off we would have been in complete control. I dont know what happened second half but we became desperate.

I didnt see a problem with the line up tbh. Maybe Paynter should have been benched for Hume but should we judge one mans managerial capabilities on choice of striker. I thought that he set the team up well enough today and the game was a self motivating one. How he can be singlehandedly blamed for today is just madness.

There is no evidence to suggest that had we appointed a different manager we would be promoted by now. Yes our averages have dropped but we did have a minor injury crisis shortly after Flynn took over. It may have been better under someone else but it could be worse. 

ponte_ricky

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on April 20, 2013, 08:26:02 pm by ponte_ricky »
I hate the clueless b*****d.

I can't wait until we get a proper manager in.

bit strong isnt it? I'm sure you'll do a better job yes?

all teams win some/lose some. If you want to see a team win predictably go watch man utd

get over it ffs

pubteam

« Reply #24 on April 20, 2013, 08:27:39 pm by pubteam »
I hate the clueless b*****d.

I can't wait until we get a proper manager in.

bit strong isnt it? I'm sure you'll do a better job yes?

all teams win some/lose some. If you want to see a team win predictably go watch man utd

get over it ffs

:zzz:

PaulRover08

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on April 20, 2013, 08:29:03 pm by PaulRover08 »
How can he be clueless? We weren't top when he started and then got to the top. May yet end up there too.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on April 20, 2013, 08:29:48 pm by dickos1 »
Pubteams found the smiley face button

pubteam

« Reply #27 on April 20, 2013, 08:30:53 pm by pubteam »
Pubteams found the smiley face button

:that:

DRFC17

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on April 20, 2013, 08:31:53 pm by DRFC17 »
I used to think it was pure bad luck, but under Flynn we've failed to score despite having loads of shots on numerous occasions now. Either he's chronically unlucky or he's not doing something managerial right, either way I'd be uncomfortable with him managing next season.

CusworthRovers

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on April 20, 2013, 08:33:02 pm by CusworthRovers »
I'm not saying I'm his biggest fan but where were you last Saturday Pubteam? What did Flynny do wrong last Saturday that needed your wrath

TinyPortal © 2005-2012